Fly Formula helmet fit compared to the F2 Carbon?

JBecker 72
Looking at getting a Formula CC but was wondering if the fit is comparable to the F2 Carbon which is what I currently have. Just trying to make sure I order the right size the first time. Anyone have experience with both?
|
yamahaha131
2/20/2022 10:11am
Very similar size comparison. Fit is dependent on head shape. I was impressed with how my F2 fit and the formula feels like an upgrade to me.
hawk101
2/20/2022 10:39am
Same here. Just got the Formula CP. Coming from F2 carbon. Fitment is the same. Feel is tighter initially and shell doesn't feel as big, so there's less leverage when you shake your head. Even the CP was lighter than my F2 by like .1lb.

Go for the new Formula. It's very comfortable.
JBecker 72
2/20/2022 10:49am
Glad to see you both say it has a similar shape to the F2. That’s been my go to helmet for a while and I’ve found them to be very comfortable. Unfortunately no dealers anywhere near me stock any of the higher end helmets or boots. So it’s always a gamble when I order something if the fit is good.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
2/20/2022 1:32pm
Formula seemed a little tighter in the cheek area at first but after a couple rides fit improved. Seems quieter than the F2.

The Shop

183Matt
Fantasy
1637th
2/20/2022 10:01pm
I wore an XL in the F2 and I wear a large in the formula model. The fit is similar in both models, it just felt too roomy in the xl for me.

andyman
2/21/2022 8:43am
Is the Formula quietest premium helmet for moto? Im running Airoh now and they are LOUD. Looking for some more comfort on that side. I use ear plugs now, and it would be great if i didnt have to use those with my next helmet.
DR176
2/21/2022 9:48am
andyman wrote:
Is the Formula quietest premium helmet for moto? Im running Airoh now and they are LOUD. Looking for some more comfort on that side. I use...
Is the Formula quietest premium helmet for moto? Im running Airoh now and they are LOUD. Looking for some more comfort on that side. I use ear plugs now, and it would be great if i didnt have to use those with my next helmet.
I was blown away with how quiet my formula is. Honestly, it was a little strange at first with how muffled my voice felt and the bike had a more muffled tone than I was used to. All good things, I was just pleasantly surprised after hearing from others that it was a really quiet helmet.
JBecker 72
2/21/2022 11:58am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2022 11:59am
andyman wrote:
Is the Formula quietest premium helmet for moto? Im running Airoh now and they are LOUD. Looking for some more comfort on that side. I use...
DR176 wrote:
I was blown away with how quiet my formula is. Honestly, it was a little strange at first with how muffled my voice felt and the...
I was blown away with how quiet my formula is. Honestly, it was a little strange at first with how muffled my voice felt and the bike had a more muffled tone than I was used to. All good things, I was just pleasantly surprised after hearing from others that it was a really quiet helmet.
As a YZ250F owner, that’s good to hear. Grinning
tobz
2/21/2022 12:02pm
What helmets were you guys accustomed to before the fly? I’ve only worn Bell and Shoei and I just could not find a size in the Fly that would fit.

I’m a XL in Bell and L and Shoei yet with Fly a Large was very tight on the cranium with lots of pressure points, but an XL was practically floppy and very moveable.
JBecker 72
2/21/2022 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2022 6:48am
tobz wrote:
What helmets were you guys accustomed to before the fly? I’ve only worn Bell and Shoei and I just could not find a size in the...
What helmets were you guys accustomed to before the fly? I’ve only worn Bell and Shoei and I just could not find a size in the Fly that would fit.

I’m a XL in Bell and L and Shoei yet with Fly a Large was very tight on the cranium with lots of pressure points, but an XL was practically floppy and very moveable.
My last three helmets have been a couple of F2 Carbon, and a Moto 9 Flex. All size large. The Bell didn’t fit me nearly as well as the F2, the shape wasn’t for my head. I’ve also been impressed with every large Shoei I’ve put on lately, but haven’t had one since around the year 2000. I tried on a few street helmets of theirs at a dealer recently.
AgileMike
2/21/2022 5:49pm
I wore a size medium in the F2 Carbon and wear a size medium in the Formula Carbon. I agree, the cheeks are a little tighter at first on the Formula, but it feels fine after 20-30 minutes. I absolutely love the venting in the Formula. It's so much cooler in the summertime. Doesn't work well for snowmobiling I found out Sad
3/8/2023 10:48am

Anyone else find the helmet tight to get on? I’ve always ran large in all brands but seems hard to get on initially 

3/8/2023 11:33am

Anyone else find the helmet tight to get on? I’ve always ran large in all brands but seems hard to get on initially 

In my experience, it will break in over time. I have worn a small in every helmet I have ever bought including the old F2. When I first got the Formula I thought it was the wrong size bc it was so tight. I don't notice it now. 

SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
3/8/2023 2:45pm

My medium felt very tight but great after one day.  Does feel harder to get on head than other helmets though.

Rocket164
3/9/2023 12:47pm

In my experience, it will break in over time. I have worn a small in every helmet I have ever bought including the old F2. When...

In my experience, it will break in over time. I have worn a small in every helmet I have ever bought including the old F2. When I first got the Formula I thought it was the wrong size bc it was so tight. I don't notice it now. 

Initially I had the same thoughts and ordered the thinner check pads thinking it would be an improvement. But after one ride in the thinner cheek pads I switched back to the standard size. The tight fit is something that I got used to quickly and doesn’t bother me anymore. Great helmet that has a snug fit and makes me feel protected while riding. FLY hit a home run with the Formula helmet. 

chuckie108
3/9/2023 5:57pm

My experience is a bit different than the others expressed here. I've owned 6 or 7 F2's- loved everyone of them. Everyone was the same for me- size large helmet, and then switch to the smaller cheek pads- and it fit perfect. I then decided to upgrade to the formula. I ordered a size large figuring it would be similar in fit. When I got it, I was surprised it felt very tight. Figuring it was the cheek pads(My jaw line/crown width ratio is obviously bigger than average), I pulled them out and checked the fit of just the crown, and it was still uncomfortably tight. So I gave my son the Large and ordered an XL. The XL comes and it fits great, so I start wearing it. First time out everything was great. But the more I wore it, and the more it broke in, the lower it would sit on the crown of my head. It has gotten to the point where it rides down on my face and forces my goggles down on my nose. I find myself constantly reaching up and rotating it back on my head after about 30 minutes of riding. I even went as far cutting the crown section out of an old F2 liner and sticking in the crown of the helmet- no bueno. At that point I'm figuring I really need a large, as it will be fine after break in. So I gave my sons large Formula a try(probably has 50 hours on it), and it's still too tight. Pretty disappointed in all honestly, as I'm a very loyal Fly customer, but the reality is they can't make a helmet that fits every head perfectly. So this weekend I'm headed to Chaparral to try on all the A-Stars helmets, and others, to figure out which helmet works best with my noggin.

3/9/2023 11:23pm

Thanks for your feedback sounds like we may have the same issue, I’ve tried an Astar and it fitted well I should have kept it by the sounds of it 

3/10/2023 8:26am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2023 8:31am

Is Fly better for round heads or oval heads?  I have an oval head and Alpinestar fits great. 

I would say the Formula is an intermediate oval shape. My head is more towards a long oval and it works well for me still.

I'm not sure if they offer a Japanese/Asian market version with a more round shape or not.

Revzilla website is a good place to check for helmet shapes and fitment. They typically address it in their videos (if they have one for that helmet) and there is a "shape" slider shown in customer's reviews.

3/10/2023 9:16am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2023 9:17am

Anyone looking for a formula cc Matt black large brand new with tags box decent price? Uk can post 

kicker
3/10/2023 8:29pm

I had an F2 before my Formula. After break in it’s super comfortable and light. The only downside for me is that the Formula knocks against my atlas neck brace which took a while to get used to. 

Post a reply to: Fly Formula helmet fit compared to the F2 Carbon?

The Latest