Fly Formula Carbon or 6d ATR-2

Vendon
I'm in the market for a new helmet and I like the technology in the Fly Formula Carbon with the Reon and Cone Head EPS. But I also like the 6d ATR-2 and the ODS technology in it. I saw Zach Bell's crash in his 6d but I also saw Weston Peick's crash in the Fly and even though his face was destroyed, his brain wasn't. Just asking. Right now I'm leaning on the side of the Fly because I know that they have the money to create a Premium Helmet and what seems like a better EPS. But I keep seeing the 6d pop up more and more and the ODS seems like a really cool system.

Thank You
|
1/11/2021 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2021 12:08pm
Which one fits best and is most comfortable? At this point, all the different opinions of what makes for a safer helmet are just that, opinions. Every manufacturer thinks theirs is best, and no reliable governing body is ranking them in terms of safety. Unless things have changed recently, the two you mentioned are both built in the same factory, so theoretically, the quality control should the same.
Robbirob25
1/11/2021 12:11pm
Which one fits best and is most comfortable? At this point, all the different opinions of what makes for a safer helmet are just that, opinions...
Which one fits best and is most comfortable? At this point, all the different opinions of what makes for a safer helmet are just that, opinions. Every manufacturer thinks theirs is best, and no reliable governing body is ranking them in terms of safety. Unless things have changed recently, the two you mentioned are both built in the same factory, so theoretically, the quality control should the same.
What he said... I really like my 6D's, but it truly comes down to what is most comfortable when you get to this price point.
Vendon
1/11/2021 12:12pm
Which one fits best and is most comfortable? At this point, all the different opinions of what makes for a safer helmet are just that, opinions...
I think the 6d was less comfortable and the pads seemed thinner while the Fly seemed to have thicker pads when I tried it on and was more comfortable.
hubbardmx50
1/11/2021 12:22pm
Both have great safety features. I would go with what feels best on your head. I have the ATR-2, no issues with it. I’m a long time Shoei guy and wanted the VFX-W Evo (is that what it’s called?) and my dad talked me into the 6D. I never liked the ATR-1 and I think the 2 is worth the extra dough. The padding and overall build quality is better. Plus if you crash 6D will repair it.

The Shop

Jt$
1/11/2021 12:25pm
You would be making a great choice with either helmet. That's about as unbiased as I can get. Try them both on and go with what fits your head shape the best.
1/11/2021 12:50pm
Jt$ wrote:
You would be making a great choice with either helmet. That's about as unbiased as I can get. Try them both on and go with what...
You would be making a great choice with either helmet. That's about as unbiased as I can get. Try them both on and go with what fits your head shape the best.
They’re both still made by Topkey, correct?
Meister
1/11/2021 12:57pm
Whatever fits better.

I chose the formula.
coastie44
1/11/2021 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2021 1:02pm
I tried them both. The 6D fit was weird on my head. Fly Formula CC fit great. The original Fly Formula was too tight and I sent it back. Maybe they are supposed to be the same size but ??
phatfi20
1/11/2021 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2021 1:30pm
I went with Atr2 coming from ATR1.

Main thing is if you crash in the Formula, you have to buy a brand new Formula which is in line with these helmets but its what $500-700?

Crash in the 6D and they rebuild it for $150. And yes unfortunately I've used that service twice. They call you up to give you a rundown. They told me all about how i crashed with without me telling them which was kind of cool too. The second time it was hard enough that there was a crack in the chin bar. They gave a deep discount to buy a new 6D since it affected the safety/integrity of the helmet and was not designed to be replaceable.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
1/11/2021 1:38pm
coastie44 wrote:
I tried them both. The 6D fit was weird on my head. Fly Formula CC fit great. The original Fly Formula was too tight and I...
I tried them both. The 6D fit was weird on my head. Fly Formula CC fit great. The original Fly Formula was too tight and I sent it back. Maybe they are supposed to be the same size but ??
Yeah the Formula carbon and CC are supposed to be the same size but I have tried them on back to back and they are close but not exactly the same.

To the guy worried about replacement after a crash I believe Fly has a replacement policy in the first year. Half price maybe?
Vendon
1/11/2021 1:42pm
phatfi20 wrote:
I went with Atr2 coming from ATR1. Main thing is if you crash in the Formula, you have to buy a brand new Formula which is...
I went with Atr2 coming from ATR1.

Main thing is if you crash in the Formula, you have to buy a brand new Formula which is in line with these helmets but its what $500-700?

Crash in the 6D and they rebuild it for $150. And yes unfortunately I've used that service twice. They call you up to give you a rundown. They told me all about how i crashed with without me telling them which was kind of cool too. The second time it was hard enough that there was a crack in the chin bar. They gave a deep discount to buy a new 6D since it affected the safety/integrity of the helmet and was not designed to be replaceable.
What do the testing sheets say, because I know they both came out with their testing data.
yamahaha131
1/11/2021 1:53pm
I’m yet to try on a 6D (though I’d like to). I loved the way the F2 Carbon fit but once I got the Formula on it fit like a glove. At that level of protection I think it’ll come down to fit and your price.
Vendon
1/11/2021 1:56pm
I just noticed this with the Motocross Action Magazine people and they aren't sponsored by one separate brand but I feel there is a reason most of them were the 6d helmets over others.
xrmark
1/11/2021 3:27pm
Had moto9’s for years. Just tried the formula and all I can say is dam. Thing is unreal
Vendon
1/11/2021 4:06pm
I also noticed the size of 6d's dampeners and the size of the Fly Formula's Reon cells. I also think that WPS and Fly have the money to build a premium helmet. But, 6d is a more helmet centered company.
dedi684
1/11/2021 4:29pm
Ive had a few atr1's how do the atr2 compare?
cwel11
1/11/2021 5:42pm
dedi684 wrote:
Ive had a few atr1's how do the atr2 compare?
Smaller shell. Closer to the face with the chin bar.
BikePilot
1/11/2021 7:47pm
I have a 6D and really like it. Seems like they are super focused on safety and have been producing lids with that sort of tech longer than anyone else.
ktmdan
1/11/2021 7:52pm
Jt$ wrote:
You would be making a great choice with either helmet. That's about as unbiased as I can get. Try them both on and go with what...
I admire your approach to marketing 👍🏼
Joe512
1/11/2021 8:10pm
I have a atr2 because I do believe in it from a safety perspective however for the price I feel like the pad locking system is flimsy and cheap. Its also a loud helmet. If I were to try anything else it would definitely be a formula, would love to get my hands on one and give it a try.
Payup_199
1/12/2021 7:40am
Fly Formula is so amazing. Fits my head perfectly. I love it and choose to not wear anything else, most likely ever. I used to wear the F2 carbon before the Formula was released.

Try them both on and pick the one that fits your head. Similar helmets and it comes down to your fit.
Vendon
1/12/2021 9:04am
Thank you, I went back to the dealer and I chose the 6d ATR-2, Thanks again
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
1/12/2021 4:39pm
Question for JT or others. What is the difference between Fly Formula CC and the Fly Formula Carbon? Construction difference or just graphics? Looking at maybe purchasing one but can’t tell what is different between the two.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
1/12/2021 5:26pm
The CC has a carbon composite shell instead of the more expensive carbon (10k I think) shell that is 50g lighter. So the CC is 50g heavier and $200 more expensive. It is similar to the difference between the Alpinestars m10 and m8.
1/12/2021 8:51pm
I found the 6D big and bulky and heavy compared witb the fly formula. The 6D did not breath ro vent well for offroad riding either
1/13/2021 4:34am
I have a 6D and really like it but the Formula is awesome. I would like to pick up a Formula CC this year when I retire the 6D.
mx317
1/13/2021 4:59am
coastie44 wrote:
I tried them both. The 6D fit was weird on my head. Fly Formula CC fit great. The original Fly Formula was too tight and I...
wrc777 wrote:
Yeah the Formula carbon and CC are supposed to be the same size but I have tried them on back to back and they are close...
Yeah the Formula carbon and CC are supposed to be the same size but I have tried them on back to back and they are close but not exactly the same.

To the guy worried about replacement after a crash I believe Fly has a replacement policy in the first year. Half price maybe?
This is what sold me on the 6D. I bought a new Arai and wore it no more than 5 times before I head planted and ruined it. The shell didn't have a scratch, but when I sent it to Arai to be tested they told me the inner liner was crushed and not safe. I asked about getting a new liner, but they said they did not do that. I will say though, it did it's job! I'm now on my second 6D ATR-2 and really like them, but I will say for me nothing is as comfortable as an Arai. I feel that the 6D is safer and a better value due to the rebuild program and that's the selling point to me.

Post a reply to: Fly Formula Carbon or 6d ATR-2

The Latest