Fly F2 Carbon MIPS or Suomy MX Jump

Related:
Create New Tag

12/28/2017 8:11 PM

Which helmet? I’ve narrowed it down to these two helmets (so I don’t need to know that shoei or Aria or 6D is better “and totally worth the money”...I know they are better, but I’m not spending that much money...and no my head isn’t worth it.)

Anyone have personal experience with either? Or even better, anyone have experience with both? Which did you prefer?

Suomy:
Light
Reviews say good ventilation
It comes in a mostly white color
I like the look of it

Fly:
Slightly heavier
Maybe a bit better protection
Only comes in dark colors (I don’t like crazy loud helmets)
I’m not as fond of the look.

Any experience with either of these helmets?

I’ve read the reviews...but I trust the dudes here more because more of you are active riders/racers (and can give some valuable advice on my sprocket bolts without me even asking...it’s a win/win). So I’m hoping you can help me make up my mind.

|

12/28/2017 8:20 PM

I'd get the Fly for the added protection.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/28/2017 8:21 PM

Can't comment on the suomy, but the fly is pretty nice.

|

12/28/2017 8:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2017 8:29 PM

Ive had a Fly F2 carbon without mips for about 4 years (time for a replacement). It fits my shape head very well and is very comfortable. Ventiliation is slightly above average I would say. Liner is a bit of a pain to get out and back in. My 2 complaints are the visor system wasnt great and the chinbar is a little close to your face but i got used to that.

|

12/28/2017 8:34 PM

Man I’m in the same predicament, trying to decide between the Airoh Aviator 2.2 (lightweight, looks awesome) or the Bell Moto-9 MIPS (safer technology). Leaning toward the Bell.

|

12/28/2017 8:56 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

Man I’m in the same predicament, trying to decide between the Airoh Aviator 2.2 (lightweight, looks awesome) or the Bell Moto-9 MIPS (safer technology). Leaning toward the Bell.

What is the price point on those two helmets?

|

12/28/2017 8:56 PM

early wrote:

Ive had a Fly F2 carbon without mips for about 4 years (time for a replacement). It fits my shape head very well and is very comfortable. Ventiliation is slightly above average I would say. Liner is a bit of a pain to get out and back in. My 2 complaints are the visor system wasnt great and the chinbar is a little close to your face but i got used to that.

That is one of my concerns about the fly...the chin bar.

|

12/28/2017 9:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2017 9:04 PM

I bought a Suomy last year, and had to send it back. The chin strap was positioned more like a neck strap. Also, the visors are renowned for being too brittle and shearing off easily.

I ended up getting a Fly F2 with MIPS. Not as light as the Suomy, but very comfortable and breathes well too (not that I got to test that on the Suomy)

Was looking at the Airoh helmets at the time too, but they didn't fit my head properly, and their chin strap sat a bit close to the neck also (Europeans must have funny shaped heads, haha). The price was a bit ridiculous also

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

12/28/2017 9:04 PM

Cant comment on the Fly, but have a 3-4 year old Suomy MX Jump, and honestly nicest helmet I have worn. I don't even notice its on, extremely light and comfortable for my head anyway. Have not taken any head hits so cant comment on protection wise.

|

Current: 2010 TM 250MX
Previous: 2012 KX450f, 2009 K8 RM250, 2012 RMZ250, 2008 YZ125

12/28/2017 9:07 PM

I had the Suomy. Very light weight, excellent ventilation. It fit me perfect but my one and only issue with it was after a couple of months the interior started to pack in alot. Got so bad it was pushing my goggles onto my nose and it became unsafe with the fit so loose. I switched to the Airoh Aviator and it has been excellent, everything I liked about the Suomy and the fit has remained the same with two years on it.

|

12/28/2017 9:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2017 9:20 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

I’ve found the Airoh for $430 shipped from Europe to here in North Carolina, and the Bell Moto 9 MIPS is $400 everywhere I’ve looked.

|

12/28/2017 9:22 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

thatswhathappens wrote:

I’ve found the Airoh for $430 shipped from Europe to here in North Carolina, and the Bell Moto 9 MIPS is $400 everywhere I’ve looked.

Why would you pick the Moto 9 mips over th Fly F2 mips? I’m honestly curious...

|

12/28/2017 9:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2017 9:35 PM

Titan1 wrote:

thatswhathappens wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

Why would you pick the Moto 9 mips over th Fly F2 mips? I’m honestly curious...

I tried one on at the local Cycle Gear, liked the way it fit and it seemed pretty light on my head. Also read quite a few positive reviews online for the Moto-9. I was considering an F2 Carbon MIPS in the past though, just haven’t seen many reviews on them.

Just remembered I had a Fly helmet in the past and I didn’t like the fit at all. The problem was that the eye opening wasn’t big enough for the goggles so they would sit a little bit off your face, causing dirt and shit to fly up into my eyes. Some people had luck with that particular helmet by using youth goggles but I didn’t really want to go through the trouble of doing that so I opted for something else. I’m sure their helmets now are great but that didn’t leave a great impression on me.

|

12/29/2017 1:14 AM

I am on my second Suomy MX jump. The first I wore for 3 years, finally had a bad crash in it so I retired it. Love this helmet and after additional research I couldn’t bring myself to buy anything else, so I bought another one. Can’t speak for the fly, but weight is important to me when doing long enduro races. This is the lightest and most comfortable helmet I’ve owned.

|

12/29/2017 4:12 AM

Suomy.

|

12/29/2017 6:25 AM

I probably don't have to tell you which I prefer but I can tell you that your weight difference is from the FLY F2 passing Snell 2015 tests where the mentioned competitor is not Snell 2015 approved. We have an ECE only helmet sold in other areas of the world that is comparable to these European brands in the weight category.

|

12/29/2017 6:36 AM

I love the F2 Carbon MIPS. I've had about 4-5 of them over the last few years. I scooped up last years model for $180 shipped. Can't beat that!! It's a really light and very comfortable helmet. Best value by far IMO.

|

12/29/2017 6:38 AM

Jt$ wrote:

I probably don't have to tell you which I prefer but I can tell you that your weight difference is from the FLY F2 passing Snell 2015 tests where the mentioned competitor is not Snell 2015 approved. We have an ECE only helmet sold in other areas of the world that is comparable to these European brands in the weight category.

What does your ECE F2 weigh?
The F2 is a great helmet at a great price. I personally prefer the light weight ECE helmets.
I’m curious how the new LS2 MX470 will do in the US market.

|

12/29/2017 6:59 AM

Suomy all the way. By far best helmet I have owed. Super light. Well ventilated. I have taken some serious head shots with no ill affects.

|

12/29/2017 7:01 AM

Stonedmason wrote:

Suomy all the way. By far best helmet I have owed. Super light. Well ventilated. I have taken some serious head shots with no ill affects.

Did you cut the straps and toss that helmet?

|

12/29/2017 7:11 AM

Tuna wrote:

The F2 is a great helmet at a great price. I personally prefer the light weight ECE helmets.

2.7-ish I believe

|

12/29/2017 7:22 AM

At our house we have 7 or 8 of the fly f2's, good fit, good price point and when my son broke his carbon and was out for 5 minutes and the DR said the quality of helmet saved further injuries we have stuck with them.

|

kcco

12/29/2017 7:32 AM

A Fly F2 saved by bacon last year, I would have no issues buying another one, it was very well made. However I replaced it with a 6D because I believe in there technology.

|

12/29/2017 7:46 AM

Jt$ wrote:

Tuna wrote:

Jt$ wrote:

2.7-ish I believe

That’s light, you need to sell that bad boy here! I’d rock one with a winter kit for my sled and snowniking.

|

12/29/2017 11:23 AM

I've worn a few Fly F2 Carbon's and they fit my head great, and did a great job protecting in a big crash, however my concern with them is on a few occasions I've had the glue that holds the hard foam to the shell break lose and the shell float freely around the foam. That was a couple of years ago (2015 was the last I wore one), so they may have made a change since then. Otherwise, the Fly helmet actually far exceeded my expectations for it.

No experience with the Suomy other than working at a trackside vendor that sold them. I know they are light, but that's about it.

|

12/29/2017 11:48 AM

My dad has the Suomy and loves it but I really think his primary attraction is the weight. Which in my opinion is nice, but doesn’t mean much.

I hate to be one of those that adds in another one, but I’m helmet shopping too and am trying to find a Leatt GPX 4.5 to try on. Very light, impressive internal protection feature, ventilated like crazy and $239. Or $450 for the next version up.

|

12/29/2017 12:54 PM

Are weight and safety synonymous?

|

12/29/2017 2:56 PM

I would check fit first, then it might be an easy choice!

|

12/29/2017 3:04 PM

Haven't owned a Suomy but had great luck years back with the Fly F2's (pre-mips)

That said I have been able to find Bell Moto-9 Flex's on closeout for under $300 for the last year or so.....just gotta keep an eye out..........

|

12/29/2017 3:39 PM

Fit should factor in heavily to your decision. I'd prefer a Fly due to mips. Also check closeout deals on higher end lids, you'll be surprised on how good the deals are.

|