Florida riders, opinions please

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2018 2:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2018 2:42 PM

My wife and I are heading to the Ocala area (Williston) for Christmas week. We're taking our motorhome and towing my Chevy Colorado. Her sister lives in Ocala so while she's hanging out with her, I'm going to get some riding in.
I normally use my enclosed trailer and take my 16 KTM 125SX and my 16 Kawi 450.
But since that's not an option, I can only take one bike in the bed. I want to take my 450, but since I have to load/unload it in the bed, the 125 would be much easier for me. Obviously the 125 wouldn't be that fun on a sand track.
WW is one of my stops for sure.

I guess my question is, can I find tracks where my 125 would be fun? I love to ride it, but I'm a 61 year old Vet A/B rider and I don't ride it at the rev limiter like your supposed to. lol

Any advice is much appreciated!!

|

11/24/2018 2:49 PM

Do not let the bike get out of your sight around there. Hardrock, Croom, and surrounding hotels were prime targets for a while. Maybe it has calmed down a bit.

|

11/24/2018 3:00 PM

project racer wrote:

Do not let the bike get out of your sight around there. Hardrock, Croom, and surrounding hotels were prime targets for a while. Maybe it has calmed down a bit.

X2. I grew up just south of Ocala and from what I have heard it hasn't. I've heard of bikes getting stolen at Hardrock.

|

2012 CRF250R
2012 CRF450R
2017 CRF450R

11/24/2018 3:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2018 3:12 PM

brian352 wrote:

X2. I grew up just south of Ocala and from what I have heard it hasn't. I've heard of bikes getting stolen at Hardrock.

A member of this board had his truck, bike, and gear stolen from the steak house parking lot near the old Sunshine MX in St.Petersburg a few years back as he ate dinner inside. They were nabbing bikes of people camping overnight at both Croom and HR, right out of the camping areas as well not long ago.

That hotel at the front of Croom has been notorious over the years for bikes, trailers, whole rigs being stolen. The bikes seem to bring out all the roaches around here.

|

11/24/2018 3:55 PM

Thanks for that info. But we're staying at a gated RV resort. Not too worried about my bike. Back to the original question.

|

11/24/2018 4:10 PM

Pax in Bunnell is a great place, 2 tracks and Kyle is doing a great job of keeping the layout fun
http://www.paxtraxmx.com/

Bostwick MX might be open
http://www.bostwickmx.com/

WW is awesome

I'm a 50+ slow Vet C and a 125 will be fine at any of these places

|

11/24/2018 5:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2018 9:25 PM

Indy mxer wrote:

Thanks for that info. But we're staying at a gated RV resort. Not too worried about my bike. Back to the original question.

Bostwick and Pax. I like Dade City but they're a little too rigid and expensive if you want to just go ride somewhere. Also, check the respective tracks pricing. Pax charged me more for being out of state. If I remember correctly Dade City accepted my credit card last time but they were cash only.

I just wanted you to be aware that people had their bikes taken when they just took a bathroom break at Hardrock. I always take someone with me, so I don't really worry about it. I like their sand track when it's groomed.

|

2012 CRF250R
2012 CRF450R
2017 CRF450R

11/24/2018 7:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2018 7:55 PM

If you are near Ocala, it only makes sense to at least check out Hard Rock. They have a sand track, a beginner/intermediate track called Outback, and the big/main track, with actual elevation changes which I think you would enjoy. Plus it's open 7 days a week.

|

11/25/2018 10:25 AM

KingsCourt wrote:

If you are near Ocala, it only makes sense to at least check out Hard Rock. They have a sand track, a beginner/intermediate track called Outback, and the big/main track, with actual elevation changes which I think you would enjoy. Plus it's open 7 days a week.

Thanks for the info. I'd like to ride the tracks somewhat close to Ocala. Don't want to drive more than I have to.
I've been to WW so I know that's a bit of a drive.

I'll be by myself. Is Hardrock that bad about theft at the track?

If I do take my 125, I want to avoid the deep sand tracks for obvious reasons. lol

|

11/25/2018 12:11 PM

KingsCourt wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'd like to ride the tracks somewhat close to Ocala. Don't want to drive more than I have to.

If I do take my 125, I want to avoid the deep sand tracks for obvious reasons. lol

Keep in mind that WW is a private track that is not open to the public but for a select few weekends. Florida Moto Group is having a ride day there this December but that will be the only open ride day this year.
Just giving you a heads up.

|

11/25/2018 12:33 PM

Tampa mx is a good track. Kind of supercrossy. Bartow has a sand track. Hard rock of course is closest, i dont think theft is that big of a problem. But dont leave stuff outside at night.

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

11/25/2018 12:41 PM

Croom opened their mx track friday. I have not been yet and i am not sure what days they will be open.

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

11/25/2018 2:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2018 3:57 PM

KingsCourt wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:

Don't be afraid of Hard Rock during the day. I've gone plenty, and nothing has ever happened. And I haven't even been careful. I think the risk comes at night for the people that are camping and using the RV hookups. In addition to the tracks, there is a hare scrambles course which might be worth checking out, too. Don't be afraid of the sand track. It's good experience for anybody, and a 125 shouldn't be a problem. My son hated sand for the longest, and recently went through it on his KLX110, and didn't crash once. Now that's hard with those little tires.

The closest for you will be Hard Rock, followed by a relatively new place in Wildwood which isn't far away. It's called Spyder MX Sports Complex, and is about 30 to 40 minutes away from Ocala. This has nothing to do with the Wildwood Ranch in Jacksonville. It's actually in a town called Wildwood. I've never been there, but as far as I know it's a pretty legit place. I think it used to be called Wildwood MX, and now Spyder MX. Here is the website:

https://spyder-mx.myshopify.com/

I think those 2 are relatively close, and should give you nice, convenient riding access. Then if you wanted to venture out more, you could try Croom, Tampa MX, and Dade City MX. But if you are not interested in sand, stay away from Dade City. They say it's a sand/clay mix, but goodness it feels like a sand track. Another option in the opposite direction is Waldo Motorsports not far from Gainesville, about 1 hour away from Ocala. Here is their website:

http://www.waldomx.com/

|

11/25/2018 3:06 PM

Just rode waldo today, he added as bunch of clay and redid a few jumps, pretty fun, 55 yr vet rider, too slow to catagorize. Rode pax last month, fun but the jumps are pretty big. Bostwick had been closed for a while but opening around 8 dec, if I recall they and ww open xmas week, waldo is open almost all the time.

|

11/25/2018 5:34 PM

Great info. Thanks everyone. Should be fun.

|

11/25/2018 5:39 PM

KingsCourt wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:

GoYamaha wrote:

Keep in mind that WW is a private track that is not open to the public but for a select few weekends. Florida Moto Group is having a ride day there this December but that will be the only open ride day this year.
Just giving you a heads up.

Not according to their website, Says they have open practice starting the day after xmas. All week and thru the weekend. Then they do the same thing after New Years day.

|

12/5/2018 6:34 AM

From Ocala area, you have Hardrock(be aware of the people around you, if they don't look right, they are not), Waldo Motorsports, Spyder MX-wildwood, Orlando MX, east orlando, Pax Trax, Bunnell, central florida mx, Astatula and north on I-75 you have sunshine mx in Jasper.

WW will be open this Saturday 12-8-18 for their toy drive, bring a $20 unwrapped toy or donate $20 to the toy fund.

Most will be fine on the 125 but if you are still a jumper then I recommend bringing the 450

|

Thanks for your Support
100%, Mobius, Sunstar, Pirelli, Odi, Acerbis, Yoshimura, Beck's Tech Suspension and Tuning, Arma, Works Connection

12/9/2018 10:34 PM

Take the damn 450 ur loading it into a colorado not a friggin duece and a half.

|

12/10/2018 3:01 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I was thinking the same, 42# difference?

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

12/10/2018 3:47 AM

Preston412 wrote:

From Ocala area, you have Hardrock(be aware of the people around you, if they don't look right, they are not), Waldo Motorsports, Spyder MX-wildwood, Orlando MX, east orlando, Pax Trax, Bunnell, central florida mx, Astatula and north on I-75 you have sunshine mx in Jasper.

WW will be open this Saturday 12-8-18 for their toy drive, bring a $20 unwrapped toy or donate $20 to the toy fund.

Most will be fine on the 125 but if you are still a jumper then I recommend bringing the 450

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm 61, my big jumping days are behind me. lol
I wish I could have been there on the 8th at WW.
We won't get there until xmas day.
Really looking forward to spinning some laps. Haven't ridden here in over a month.

|

12/10/2018 3:56 AM

yz133rider wrote:

GIwasB4 wrote:

I was thinking the same, 42# difference?

I wasn't asking for advice on which bike to bring. I was just wanting to stay away from deep sand if I bring the 125. I have fun on both my bikes. And I usually haul my bikes in my enclosed trailer. But since we're coming in our motorhome that's not an option.

Trust me, at 5'6" that 42 lbs makes a difference loading into a 4wd. And no, I don't ride it into the truck.

|

12/10/2018 7:08 AM

So, this doesn't directly address your question but honestly, the sand tracks in the area aren't as "deep sand" as you might think. I honestly think you'll be fine with any of the local tracks on a 125. This isn't Assen or the dunes. Most of the sand tracks in the area have a hard base and there are plenty that are not sand at all.

|

12/10/2018 3:08 PM

Is Waldo MX open everyday?

|

12/10/2018 4:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 4:04 PM

ga_pike wrote:

So, this doesn't directly address your question but honestly, the sand tracks in the area aren't as "deep sand" as you might think. I honestly think you'll be fine with any of the local tracks on a 125. This isn't Assen or the dunes. Most of the sand tracks in the area have a hard base and there are plenty that are not sand at all.

Thanks. That's that's good to know.
Although I did ride NFMX a few years back and the sand there seemed pretty deep, by Indiana standards anyway. lol

Waldo gets good reviews from a few riders I know here. I think I'm going to hit that place my first day, since it's so close to where I'm staying in Williston.

|

12/10/2018 6:25 PM

I wouldn't go to Orlando MX on a 125. If they prep it will be miserable. Foot peg deep sand, that will form 3 foot deep holes. We should send our MX Des Nations team there to practice.

|

12/10/2018 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 7:44 PM

You’ll be fine at hard rock. Bring extra tubes.

Orlando mx will be hard on your 125. I was there on my 144 was having hard time gettin over everything. Fun place for sure. But....it’s deep.

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/10/2018 7:45 PM

Ah shit....no false. I was at okeechobee. Same owner. Mixed that up.

|

GP740
Since 1987