Flipping bikes for side income

oldfarp
I used to buy clapped out bikes and quads when I was a teenager (around 2010-12) and fix them up and sell them. Back then bikes were a lot more available (crazy how many vs now) and a lot cheaper. I was reading yesterdays thread about used bikes and how they are expensive and hard to come by and damn is it true. I remember in high school, I had a study hour and every class me and my friends would just go on craigslist and look at bikes and quads and other power sports toys the entire 90 minutes. There was always at least 2-3 CR500s. Now I can barely find a Yz four stroke which is insane.

Do you guys even think it's possible anymore to do this? I guess you just gotta keep your eyes open and be ready to hop in the truck...
|
ns503
6/3/2020 11:02am
Possible? Sure.

Doubt you'd make much money at it though.
Rickyisms
6/3/2020 11:04am
Not worth it IMO. Used two stroke prices are through the roof for any roached out mid 2000s jap bike.
KX500
6/3/2020 11:19am
It's all in what you can find to flip.

My two project bikes from last year were a 1999 CR125 and a 2002 KX125.

I made $900 on the CR and $1050 in the KX - for messing around with dirt bikes out in the garage.

But, yes now it is hard to find much for under $1000, so if you have to put $200-$400 into it & then it is worth $1700, not a lot of profit.

You've almost got to get them for $700 or under. Some years I can find 1 or 2 & some years I can't.
RCMXracing
6/3/2020 11:21am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 11:24am
Sure. The question is obviously what is your time worth and what are your negotiating skills like?

I get the dilemma... used bike prices are higher than they used to be, then you put in elbow grease and some plastic/graphics, fix a few things, grease everything, maybe tires, you’ve got $500 in it and a lot of time. To make $500 sell for $1,000 more than you paid. Tough gig.

Decent used bikes used to be around $3,500. now they’re like $4,500. Add in that $1,000 and you’re listing for $5,500. At that point guys will say F it and look for a newer model year used, or a showroom leftover.

On a small scale I think it’s harder and not worth it. If you do large scale, buy beater bikes, lots of equipment to do things like vapor blasting, painting, Cerekote, wheel
Truing, seat covers, engine work, on and on... yeah could have a nice side hustle.

Thanks for reading my book.

The Shop

oldfarp
6/3/2020 11:28am
Yeah I guess it is not really worth the time. Unless you come across an absolute steal and/other person doesnt know the value of what they are selling which is rare IME. I guess I would love for this to make money because what motocross rider wouldn't want this as a side hustle, but if it's not worth it, it's not worth it. One notable experience I had was a Raptor 660, that was pretty good except for a bad clutch, zipped it up only to find out the rear axle bearings were frozen, that was a major bitch but I think I bought it for 1100 and sold it for 2300 with about 500 into it, so overall, it wasn't worth it
devotid
Fantasy
367th
6/3/2020 11:39am
No one just "flips" a bike and makes money. You have to buy broken turds to even get a deal nowadays. So if you dont have a graveyard around of free parts to swap onto different bikes...its kinda hard to make money.

my $0.02
zacksavchuk
Fantasy
2369th
6/3/2020 11:41am
I used to do the same and I used to make good side money doing it. Used to flip 5-7ish bikes a year. Now I’m lucky to find 2-3 worth the time. People are out of their minds anymore and it’s mostly younger kids that in reality have not a clue what their bike is worth.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
6/3/2020 11:43am
devotid wrote:
No one just "flips" a bike and makes money. You have to buy broken turds to even get a deal nowadays. So if you dont have...
No one just "flips" a bike and makes money. You have to buy broken turds to even get a deal nowadays. So if you dont have a graveyard around of free parts to swap onto different bikes...its kinda hard to make money.

my $0.02
Depends where you live. Chances are I was buying stolen 2 strokes 99% of the time. But they’re old so no titles anyways. Wheelie boys in the “ghetto” areas tend to sell bikes very cheap. So in my area you can certainly make easy side money. Right now tho? No everyone’s selling super super high
mxpro252
6/3/2020 11:55am
In the past I’ve known guys that ran dealerships and flipping used bikes was their primary operation, but they traveled a long way to find the bikes. More recently I’ve noticed a lot of people flipping anything they can from lawn mowers to cars to make a dollar. Lots of competition in doing this. Anything close to a decent deal would have someone on their way to buy it within minutes of the ad being posted. The margins are so thin that it’s rarely worth the time and effort now… just what I’ve noticed.
oldfarp
6/3/2020 11:58am
devotid wrote:
No one just "flips" a bike and makes money. You have to buy broken turds to even get a deal nowadays. So if you dont have...

my $0.02
I'm aware. I've done this before... it always takes work and money in my experience and you have to be meticulous when you look over a bike. When I was a lot younger and my dad bought me my first big bike which was a 06YZ125 and I didn't know anything about bikes, got sold one with a 134 kit on it and the dude who owned before must have never touched a carburetor in his life, it was jetted so horribly even as a 13 year old I did better. Then the power valve was messed up and the thing never ran right, I almost feel like whoever bored it really f'ed up the cylinder so I pretty much learned my lesson after that. On the flip side after I sold a few later I bought a 98 KX250 for like 1200 and it absolutely ripped. I think I was 15 at the time and it scared the hell out me. I rebuilt the forks and sold it for way too cheap like a complete dumbass. I wish I still had that bike. I wish I still had all my main bikes actually but that's not economically possible.
devotid
Fantasy
367th
6/3/2020 12:05pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
Depends where you live. Chances are I was buying stolen 2 strokes 99% of the time. But they’re old so no titles anyways. Wheelie boys in...
Depends where you live. Chances are I was buying stolen 2 strokes 99% of the time. But they’re old so no titles anyways. Wheelie boys in the “ghetto” areas tend to sell bikes very cheap. So in my area you can certainly make easy side money. Right now tho? No everyone’s selling super super high
Im from Saginaw, Michigan. #8 deadliest place in the US to live... sooooo yeah. But I do get your point.

I use to own a custom shop and bikes would just show up from people as payment getting air ride installed. In Michigan people use KX 125's as currency. haha
ns503
6/3/2020 12:06pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
Depends where you live. Chances are I was buying stolen 2 strokes 99% of the time. But they’re old so no titles anyways. Wheelie boys in...
You don't have issues with dealing with stolen goods?
oldfarp
6/3/2020 12:17pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
devotid wrote:
Im from Saginaw, Michigan. #8 deadliest place in the US to live... sooooo yeah. But I do get your point. I use to own a custom...
Im from Saginaw, Michigan. #8 deadliest place in the US to live... sooooo yeah. But I do get your point.

I use to own a custom shop and bikes would just show up from people as payment getting air ride installed. In Michigan people use KX 125's as currency. haha
Michigan here too. I bought that KX from Saginaw if I remember correctly and the messed up YZ from Flint.
MZ193
6/3/2020 12:18pm
I did this until the coronashit started...
In the last 2 years i bought and sold 9 bikes:
1x 2017 rmz 250
1x 2015 yzf 250
2x 2015 kxf 250
3x 2014 kxf 250
1x 2014 kxf 250
1x 2013 kxf 250

They were normal bikes, some were better some were worse but all of them where running properly (never had to fix anything). Just a good clean with my pressure cleaner.
The 250f are the bikes that every starter buy nowadays.
I contacted like 100+ sellers and i only bought 9 bikes: why? Because i always negotiated the price a lot.
I've bought most of these bikes for 2-2100€ and sold them for 2400-2600€.
The one i earned the most has been a 14 kxf: bought it for 2000€ and sold it for 2500€ three weeks later.

I never do more than 100km to go buy the bikes (car gasoline is expensive).

In 2 years i've earned 2100€.
Was it worth it? Yeah, i love dirtbikes and i was also doing some money while buying/cleaning/selling them.
Oh, the car has some more km's but that was worth it.
Also if the bike has handguards or that kind of stuff you can take it off and keep it for your private bike.
Right now i can't find deals... most of 2014/15/16/17 bikes are out for 2800-3200€... you can't earn anything with so high prices. You can negotiate a couple of 100€ but not 800€.
Lightning78
6/3/2020 12:20pm
It's not the stimulus money that caused this....its been going on almost a year now with used bike prices being outrageous ..... ESPECIALLY 90's - 2000's 2 strokes. I just say a ROACHED out 95 CR250 for $3000!! It was a garbage ass bike too. Ones in pieces are priced over 1000.

I'm trying to get ahold of a 2003 KX125 and the seller wouldn't even consider $1500 cash and asking $2300. I'm gonna offer him $1700 cash tomorrow and that's my limit out of principal. I dont know who's out there paying way over market value of these bikes to warrant these insane asking prices but apparently its happening
oldfarp
6/3/2020 12:34pm
MZ193 wrote:
I did this until the coronashit started... In the last 2 years i bought and sold 9 bikes: 1x 2017 rmz 250 1x 2015 yzf 250...
1x 2017 rmz 250
1x 2015 yzf 250
2x 2015 kxf 250
3x 2014 kxf 250
1x 2014 kxf 250
1x 2013 kxf 250

They were normal bikes, some were better some were worse but all of them where running properly (never had to fix anything). Just a good clean with my pressure cleaner.
I contacted like 100+ sellers and i only bought 9 bikes: why? Because i always negotiated the price a lot.
The one i earned the most has been a 14 kxf: bought it for 2000€ and sold it for 2500€ three weeks later.

Was it worth it? Yeah, i love dirtbikes and i was also doing some money while buying/cleaning/selling them.
Also if the bike has handguards or that kind of stuff you can take it off and keep it for your private bike.
Right now i can't find deals... most of 2014/15/16/17 bikes are out for 2800-3200€... you can't earn anything with so high prices. You can negotiate a couple of 100€ but not 800€.
That's cool, all four strokes. I'm still scared to buy a used 250f, I've had 1 13 Kx450f and my current bike is a 2015 crf250r as my personal bikes but those were both new. I'm assuming it's safer to buy a used 4 stroke now, but the horror stories from when I first got into moto around 08 are burned into my brain I guess. What country are you in if you dont mind me asking? It doesnt show on mobile
6/3/2020 12:39pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
Sounds like a solid career plan. Buying and selling bikes that you are 99% sure are stolen. Yikes.
MZ193
6/3/2020 12:46pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
If i know a bike is stolen i dont buy it, first.
Second, wheelie boys in the ghetto areas sell the bikes very cheap because THEY DON'T WORK THEIR ASSES OF TO BUY THEM.
fuck them all
MZ193
6/3/2020 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 12:58pm
MZ193 wrote:
I did this until the coronashit started... In the last 2 years i bought and sold 9 bikes: 1x 2017 rmz 250 1x 2015 yzf 250...
1x 2017 rmz 250
1x 2015 yzf 250
2x 2015 kxf 250
3x 2014 kxf 250
1x 2014 kxf 250
1x 2013 kxf 250

oldfarp wrote:
That's cool, all four strokes. I'm still scared to buy a used 250f, I've had 1 13 Kx450f and my current bike is a 2015 crf250r...
That's cool, all four strokes. I'm still scared to buy a used 250f, I've had 1 13 Kx450f and my current bike is a 2015 crf250r as my personal bikes but those were both new. I'm assuming it's safer to buy a used 4 stroke now, but the horror stories from when I first got into moto around 08 are burned into my brain I guess. What country are you in if you dont mind me asking? It doesnt show on mobile
Yeah... it scared me a lot too in the start.
But in the end... While the bike is in my garage it's turned off and it won't self explode😄.
When i buy the bike i make sure it runs great and gears enter without problems. Also start it from cald and from warm.
After that i take it home, pressure clean it and it sits in the garage until the ipotetical buyer comes and he test the bike. The test is usually 2-3 minutes... the bike runs for a little time and it doesn't even warm up completely so the chanches of breaking it are really really really low.
If you buy the bike to sell it, don't ride it.
Easy as it is.
I'm in italy.
Right now the used mx bikes market sucks.
Also, in the post, i wrote that i made 2100€.
2100€ is not bad, considering i also got some NEW tires, hand guards, did chains that i took off the bikes i sold.
Moto520
6/3/2020 12:56pm
Heck yeah you can make money flipping bikes. I don't do it but it's certainly a good idea.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/3/2020 1:13pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
Nice, buying and selling stolen goods Sick
jasonv43
6/3/2020 1:17pm
I'd say you have a better chance of actually doing flips on the bikes for money instead of buying and selling them.Wink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/3/2020 1:29pm
Get a dealer license, buy at the auction, sell on Craigslist or Marketplace. You can make money if you do it right.
oldfarp
6/3/2020 2:28pm
jasonv43 wrote:
I'd say you have a better chance of actually doing flips on the bikes for money instead of buying and selling them.Wink
I dont think I have a chance of doing a flip in my life 🤣🤣 hahaha but point taken
devotid
Fantasy
367th
6/3/2020 2:34pm
"Sagnasty" as My friend Jason Richardson (I went to highschool with him) calls it..... surprisingly there are NO 12 O'Clock boys around here. If there was I would be riding my WR250 with them. haha.

Ive bought 6-7 bikes in the last 5 years and most of them were KTM's. No one steals orange bikes.

And NO i would never touch any stolen property.

Do they sell MX bikes at car auctions?
mjr119
6/3/2020 2:38pm
It’s all about finding the deals. I have made an extra salary for the last 10 years doing this. The deals are harder and harder to find. The last 2 years the deals have really started to dry up. Also, Craigslist charges to post now so that is no longer a viable channel for dirt bike sales.
mjr119
6/3/2020 2:39pm
devotid wrote:

my $0.02
Not true at all. I rarely do anything but clean them up and de sticker
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
6/3/2020 2:39pm
I’ve flipped bikes and high end parts before when I saw good deals. Not everyone knows or cares what the value of their item is. I almost bought a 2017 110 that I saw on Craigslist for $1800 the other day. I could have cleaned it, thrown a can of SC1 on it and sold it for $2500 tomorrow because all 110s in So Cal are sold.

It’s possible, just need to be ready with cash, make the call and get a deal.
oldfarp
6/3/2020 2:40pm
mjr119 wrote:
It’s all about finding the deals. I have made an extra salary for the last 10 years doing this. The deals are harder and harder to...
It’s all about finding the deals. I have made an extra salary for the last 10 years doing this. The deals are harder and harder to find. The last 2 years the deals have really started to dry up. Also, Craigslist charges to post now so that is no longer a viable channel for dirt bike sales.
Good point. I'm going to look on Facebook, as much as I hate Facebook everyone uses marketplace now
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
6/3/2020 3:06pm
Falcon wrote:
Get a dealer license, buy at the auction, sell on Craigslist or Marketplace. You can make money if you do it right.
You talking about from IAA etc?

Post a reply to: Flipping bikes for side income

The Latest