Flexxbars and arm pump

agn5009
4/30/2018 8:03am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2018 11:34am
I have a set of fasstco flexxbars on my KTM 300 and get arm pump horribly bad. I've never really suffered from arm pump before but now I seem to get it within 10-15 minutes of riding. I thought I was crazy/early season pump or whatever but I went riding with my dad and buddy yesterday and could barely hang on after minutes. I swapped bikes with my cousin (same bike, same year) who has a set of pro tapers. Did a 9 miles single track loop and no issues whatsoever. Hopped back on my bike and got arm pump immediately. Swapped bikes with my dad (TE 300) and again, no issues.

My buddy, who is roughly the same height and weight as me said his arms were killing him on my bike. My dad, who's a bit taller said he didn't get arm pump at all.

It's crazy. I want to love the bars (mainly because they were expensive!!) But I can't get over the arm pump. Has anyone else had this experience with these handlebars and arm pump? If so, is there anything I can do to help?
|
Jak3
4/30/2018 8:04am
Ride more.
DoubleA
4/30/2018 8:08am
Sounds like you need some new bars.
loftyair
4/30/2018 8:09am
Yeah, that's odd. I get arm pump with regular bars quicker than with the flexx. Maybe got to get used to them? Riding lots of course helps too.
agn5009
4/30/2018 8:11am
loftyair wrote:
Yeah, that's odd. I get arm pump with regular bars quicker than with the flexx. Maybe got to get used to them? Riding lots of course...
Yeah, that's odd. I get arm pump with regular bars quicker than with the flexx. Maybe got to get used to them? Riding lots of course helps too.
I've had them since last July. I ride about once a week. I know it's not a ton, but I don't get arm pump with regular bars. It's crazy.

The Shop

rongi#401
4/30/2018 8:20am
Maybe your dad always has arm pump so he didn't notice a difference..?
kb228
4/30/2018 8:21am
Ive never tried flex bars so forgive me if im off..

I want to think the extra movement in the bars kindof keeps you uncomfortable and makes you hold on tighter. But the more stable/solid feeling if traditional bars is better for you.
agn5009
4/30/2018 8:23am
rongi#401 wrote:
Maybe your dad always has arm pump so he didn't notice a difference..?
My dad doesn't get arm pump. He rides pretty much every day.
agn5009
4/30/2018 8:24am
kb228 wrote:
Ive never tried flex bars so forgive me if im off.. I want to think the extra movement in the bars kindof keeps you uncomfortable and...
Ive never tried flex bars so forgive me if im off..

I want to think the extra movement in the bars kindof keeps you uncomfortable and makes you hold on tighter. But the more stable/solid feeling if traditional bars is better for you.
Maybe. It seems like they vibrate a lot more. I know there's different rubber inserts so I'm wondering if I get different inserts if it could help.
newmann
4/30/2018 9:07am
Mine came with a couple sets of bumpers. Try them as well as running them tighter or looser to see what works best for you. Mine are older ones and only have the compression bumper, I see newer ones have bumpers on both sides.

Tracktor
4/30/2018 9:25am
We have two '17 Kx250f's set up pretty similar for my oldest boy and myself. I run Flexxbars and he is running Mika bars. Every time he rides it he ask me what my forks are so much more plush. I definitely get more arm pump on his than mine. He usually doesn't get arm pump period the perks of being young but definitely notices the benefits of the Flexxbars when he rides my bike......
Titan1
4/30/2018 9:39am
agn5009 wrote:
I have a set of fasstco flexxbars on my KTM 300 and get arm pump horribly bad. I've never really suffered from arm pump before but...
I have a set of fasstco flexxbars on my KTM 300 and get arm pump horribly bad. I've never really suffered from arm pump before but now I seem to get it within 10-15 minutes of riding. I thought I was crazy/early season pump or whatever but I went riding with my dad and buddy yesterday and could barely hang on after minutes. I swapped bikes with my cousin (same bike, same year) who has a set of pro tapers. Did a 9 miles single track loop and no issues whatsoever. Hopped back on my bike and got arm pump immediately. Swapped bikes with my dad (TE 300) and again, no issues.

My buddy, who is roughly the same height and weight as me said his arms were killing him on my bike. My dad, who's a bit taller said he didn't get arm pump at all.

It's crazy. I want to love the bars (mainly because they were expensive!!) But I can't get over the arm pump. Has anyone else had this experience with these handlebars and arm pump? If so, is there anything I can do to help?
Maybe try a different bar bend? Flexxbars have multiple bend options...This could be your issue.

Slightly off topic, but personally, It think Flexxbars are over-rated...yes they help with vibration, and they are very tough....but that's it...and I don't think that's worth paying over double the price of a regular bar.

I ran flexxbars for a long time on three different bikes...I was riding in Mesquite, NV and about half way through the day I crashed and busted the bars...ran to the local dealership and ended up buying some Renthals...put them on my bike-after not riding a bike without flexxbars for probably 5 years, and riding half of that day with flexxbars-and literally couldn't feel any difference, at all.

So if the flexxbars aren't working for you...just buy some protapers.
Natester551v
4/30/2018 9:40am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 9:43am
They cause less arm pump for me...I have a set on every bike I ride. Only way I can get through a hare and hound....

What bend are you running? I run small spacers on my new ones to adjust camber...
Natester551v
4/30/2018 9:42am
I also made my own crossbar mount to accommodate the Scott's...I can run regular bar pads with a recess this way...
bondsmx
4/30/2018 9:49am
I ran flexx bars for a long time. Like, from 2004/now basically. They always helped arm pump for me. Not to mention, helped my elbow that’s ruined my career, and my wrist. If I hopped on a bike without flexx, I could do 1 single Moto. Then my elbow/wrist would be killing me. Bad enough I couldn’t ride again for a few days.

I still have flexx bars on my bike to this day.
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
4/30/2018 10:30am
If anyone is looking for a set, I have one for sale. I purchased and installed one of their “rebuild” kits, so it has fresh o-rings and bumpers with zero time on them.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/30/2018 10:46am
OP-
Change your elastomers to a firmer color. You’re most likely getting too much “flex” and causing you to hold on too tight. (As already mentioned)

Call Cole (owner) and get his opinion on the bumpers that will work best for you.
‭(562) 601-8119‬
Cole is a great dude and will be glad to help you get sorted. I have a bunch of rubber bumpers if you end up needing some that you don’t already have.

The rebound bumper is just as important, IMO
The older models without the rebound bumpers gave a clunk in the bars when they “ topped out”, which they rectified adding the rebound dampener.
agn5009
4/30/2018 11:04am
langhammx wrote:
OP- Change your elastomers to a firmer color. You’re most likely getting too much “flex” and causing you to hold on too tight. (As already mentioned)...
OP-
Change your elastomers to a firmer color. You’re most likely getting too much “flex” and causing you to hold on too tight. (As already mentioned)

Call Cole (owner) and get his opinion on the bumpers that will work best for you.
‭(562) 601-8119‬
Cole is a great dude and will be glad to help you get sorted. I have a bunch of rubber bumpers if you end up needing some that you don’t already have.

The rebound bumper is just as important, IMO
The older models without the rebound bumpers gave a clunk in the bars when they “ topped out”, which they rectified adding the rebound dampener.
Awesome thank you so much for the info!
rob162
4/30/2018 11:14am
agn5009 wrote:
I have a set of fasstco flexxbars on my KTM 300 and get arm pump horribly bad. I've never really suffered from arm pump before but...

I feel like your telling us what the problem and not quite relizing it. You said your dad is taller which changes the angle your riding at at the bars, yeah he rides a bunch and is lucky to not pump up. BUT it sounds like the rise, sweep or width isnt quite right for you. Im like that certain bars bends give me instant arm pump depending on the bike. I dont know does flexx come with different bends???
hillbilly
4/30/2018 2:34pm
Broom handle a 5 lb weight and rope.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/30/2018 2:44pm
agn5009 wrote:

rob162 wrote:
I feel like your telling us what the problem and not quite relizing it. You said your dad is taller which changes the angle your riding...
I feel like your telling us what the problem and not quite relizing it. You said your dad is taller which changes the angle your riding at at the bars, yeah he rides a bunch and is lucky to not pump up. BUT it sounds like the rise, sweep or width isnt quite right for you. Im like that certain bars bends give me instant arm pump depending on the bike. I dont know does flexx come with different bends???
10 degree MX is almost identical as the OEM KTM bars.
TankSlapper
4/30/2018 2:52pm
hillbilly wrote:
Broom handle a 5 lb weight and rope.
4 Strong Arms LOL

bondsmx
4/30/2018 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 2:56pm
agn5009 wrote:

rob162 wrote:
I feel like your telling us what the problem and not quite relizing it. You said your dad is taller which changes the angle your riding...
langhammx wrote:
I always ran the 12 degree. I believe with the red elastomer on the inside, and either Red or black for the outside one.

I loved it.
Natester551v
4/30/2018 5:02pm
Well, Bondo would lap me (twice) on a bad day, but I did make it through the 2018 Jericho Nat Hare & Hound (92 miles) with zero wrist pain. I did the previous USRA race (which was only ~65 miles) with Pro Tapers, and I thought my hand was going to fall off due to my bad wrist...
Natester551v
4/30/2018 5:06pm
rob162 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
bondsmx wrote:
I always ran the 12 degree. I believe with the red elastomer on the inside, and either Red or black for the outside one. I loved...
I always ran the 12 degree. I believe with the red elastomer on the inside, and either Red or black for the outside one.

I loved it.
I run the 12 degree as well; red elastomers on both sides, but with slightly more preload (and ~1/8" spacers to angle the bars up slightly).
dirtmike86
4/30/2018 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 6:08pm
Try a bar with less sweep. I run the stock 2016 ktm bend and get zero arm pump but if i ride anyone elses bike with sweep ill be 2 laps on and cant feel my hands. Everyone anatomy is different. My only thought is the more sweep puts a torque on my wrist or forearm.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
4/30/2018 6:15pm
I have run Flexxbars for the past few years & really like them. They have virtually eliminated arm pump for me & most of the numbness I get in my hands from neuropathy. They are a great off-road/ADV handlebar from my experience.

With that being said, I run the 12° Enduro High bend w/ the red (hard) rebound elastomers & yellow (medium) compression elastomers. I run the bolt at 3 threads per the baseline settings. I also have black (real hard) and blue (soft) compression elastomers + red rebound elastomers sitting on the shelf. The cool thing about these bars is that there are so many variations to play with to get them dialed. It sounds like you need to play with them some before throwing in the towel. Just like suspension, everyone’s different. You just have to find the setup you like.

As stated before, Cole (owner) is a standup guy & willing to help each & every customer get their bars dialed. He’ll know right where you need to be just by you telling him what your feeling. Email him at coletrain671@gmail.com. He’s good at getting back to you & giving you detailed directions in writing!

rbspecial138
Fantasy
693rd
5/2/2018 7:50am
Those MAKO 360 Bar Mounts are crazy good, like the flexx bar on steroids. Saved my ass at the VCGP last weekend.
Joe512
5/2/2018 8:02am
Didn't read everyone else's replies but your problem is likely the bend not the bars themselves. A different bend is going to position your arms in a way that might not be agreeing with your muscles.
loftyair
5/2/2018 8:43am
The thing I like about these bars is, they only flex up and down. The same direction as the fork. Other bars and setups flex in all directions, which I dont care for. I think those SKS clamps, and the rg3 ones are good too.

Post a reply to: Flexxbars and arm pump

The Latest