Flat track/dirt track - anyone have (or have built) one [possible non-moto]

Hi all

I am looking at putting in a turn track that would be like a mini version of Rossi's Moto Ranch. The idea is to have a track that kids and adults can have fun on, and for the experienced rider, really push the limits of front and rear grip at a slower speed than a moto track (which is already on the property) or road racing circuit. And without having to set up for jumps. For the big bikes, we would run a 19" front/rear setup on non-knobby tyres (like an AMA singles setup).

A couple of quick questions for people who have actual knowledge:

1. What is the best surface material to use? It has to allow sliding but not be ridiculously skatey/slippery. (i.e. we want to be able to carry some lean angle and not have to tiptoe around)

2. How much prep work is involved? (We want to ensure that it doesn't require much maintenance, but we have a bobcat, tractor, attachments to prep every so often if necessary. We also likely won't be able to water it other than rain. Again, we don't want something that will suffer a lot of degradation as would a MX track surface)

3. When constructing the track, does it only need to be rolled when it is laid, or does it require re-rolling every so often. Like I said in Q2, we have several attachments like spreader bars and things, so dragging some mesh behind the tractor every now and then is not an issue.

Really appreciate the advice and/or any links you may have.

|
1/29/2017 10:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2017 10:52pm
With not being able to water much I would think a clay surface would be a good choice. I don't know too much about dirt track so others on here will probably know more, I might be waaay off base.

Quite a few of the national tracks in the US are clay, but I'm sure they all have access to water so I'm not sure if it would be at all good just relying on the rain.
magoo1982
1/30/2017 8:17am
I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but our local short track was better when it had crushed limestone to race on. there were multiple lines thru corners ,more fun to ride on and better racing. The next promoter of the track didn't like to slide , so he took the limestone off and had clay , it became boring one line thru corners hardly any passing etc.
Moto Mofo
1/30/2017 8:32am
Biggest issue I see so far, this type of track WILL require plenty of maintenance and water. Otherwise, it'll just turn into a rough, crappy surface that defeats the whole purpose, unfortunately.
1/30/2017 1:58pm
magoo1982 wrote:
I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but our local short track was better when it had crushed limestone to race on. there...
I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but our local short track was better when it had crushed limestone to race on. there were multiple lines thru corners ,more fun to ride on and better racing. The next promoter of the track didn't like to slide , so he took the limestone off and had clay , it became boring one line thru corners hardly any passing etc.
Thanks for the insight. This is exactly what I was after.

The Shop

1/30/2017 2:03pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Biggest issue I see so far, this type of track WILL require plenty of maintenance and water. Otherwise, it'll just turn into a rough, crappy surface...
Biggest issue I see so far, this type of track WILL require plenty of maintenance and water. Otherwise, it'll just turn into a rough, crappy surface that defeats the whole purpose, unfortunately.
Thank you. As I said before, I can prep it with a tractor attachment or drag some mesh, if I *really* have to. Just want to avoid having to run a bobcat every other day like the MX track.

As for watering, we could set up sprinklers if we really *had* to. There are sprinklers across most of the property except where the track is, but we could extend the system.

Only based on what I've seen when I've ridden flat track back in the day, but I would think that flat track tyres would tear up the surface a lot less than MX knobbies?
KMC440
1/30/2017 2:16pm
The speedway track in Auburn, Ca basically uses a mix consisting largely of decomposed granite (at least it used to) not sure if you have access to that material.
magoo1982
1/30/2017 2:47pm
magoo1982 wrote:
I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but our local short track was better when it had crushed limestone to race on. there...
Thanks for the insight. This is exactly what I was after.
Barry, when the track had the limestone , promoter would water once or twice a week depending on how much rain. he would drag chain link fence around with a couple timbers the width of fence for added weight and it worked nice he would water it with water hose and sprinklers as you said and later a old water truck . didn't allow nobbies but did allow trials tires, speedway tires and some of the street legal adventure bike type tires along with flat track tires and didn't have problems with surface getting ruts etc.

Post a reply to: Flat track/dirt track - anyone have (or have built) one [possible non-moto]

The Latest