Flat landing/casing tips

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2018 3:18 PM

Hey guys, last weekend I bottomed out on a double because I came up short. I ate dirt but I'm okay and thankfully didn't destroy anything. However, what are your tips for anticipating either a case or a flat landing? Thanks in advance!

|

Heavy Hitter

5/31/2018 3:22 PM

Andy7 wrote:

Hey guys, last weekend I bottomed out on a double because I came up short. I ate dirt but I'm okay and thankfully didn't destroy anything. However, what are your tips for anticipating either a case or a flat landing? Thanks in advance!

Brace for impact lol. When casing and flat landing I try to let the suspension soak up as much impact as possible and use my legs to soak up the rest. I also try to keep my chest and head from hitting the bars. That's never a good feeling.

Flat landing I usually land rear wheel first, but only by a tiny bit.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/31/2018 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2018 3:27 PM

I cased the uphill triple at Millville and thought it was the end of the world, smacked down on the seat with my ass, face hit the bar pad swapped and veered off the track . so I walked up later to watch fast guys hit it and one guy came up short and he firmed up his stance, stayed in attack position, and let the suspension do its job and was able to rebound out of it all while staying in control.

Pretty slick

|

5/31/2018 3:28 PM

Apply this equation in the air....

Photo

|

5/31/2018 3:38 PM

Use that one special muscle in your stomach to suck your balls inside of you and brace for impact.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

5/31/2018 3:40 PM

Flat landing your best bet is to land with power and the back wheel just before the front. Being strong helps. Unless its a big one then buckle up buckaroo.

Casing... youre screwed. Good luck.

|

5/31/2018 3:45 PM

throttle out and squats bro'

there is a little feeling when you know... yuck lol. I try to super ninja quick put my whole foot on the pegs instead of ball of foot. also why I'm a big believer in tabletops or safe rounded landings. safe tracks have more riders and money.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

5/31/2018 4:26 PM

Sockpuppet’s give the best advice.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

5/31/2018 4:28 PM

Believe it or not, I learned to loosen up for hard landings. As I got faster and my confidence in my bike skills got better (along with my suspension settings,) I started to realize that if you tense up in a hard landing scenario, you often hurt more on impact. I go loose, try to stay light on the pegs, and let my body absorb some of the impact by moving through the range of motion.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/31/2018 4:32 PM

I usually twist the throttle to the stops. bwaaaappapapappapapaappapapa!

Oh. And hope for the best..

|

2018 CRF250R

5/31/2018 5:03 PM

Best advice I can give you is to try not casing an uphill triple like I did.
Photo

|

5/31/2018 5:03 PM

Thanks guys, so the best option is to hold it wide open and let the suspension do its job!

|

Heavy Hitter

5/31/2018 5:04 PM

JMX247 wrote:

Photo

Damn man hate to see that

|

Heavy Hitter

5/31/2018 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2018 5:16 PM

Andy7 wrote:

Thanks guys, so the best option is to hold it wide open and let the suspension do its job!

Yes. I can't believe nobody said "when in doubt throttle out." Saved my ass many times

Edit: feelit came close

|

RTFM & AYFV

5/31/2018 5:16 PM

Andy7 wrote:

Unless you can instantly grow a pair of wings then yes, this is your only option. That's what makes the rush so massive though, knowing this will either be a moment of pure bliss or absolute Hell.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

5/31/2018 5:30 PM

Don't do this: Guess I needed to keep it pinned. Thought I had it. Helmet has 4 separate cracks, one on each cheek, one on the back and one near the chin, no concussion though (thank you Bell Moto 9 Carbon). Bike landed on me, thought I threw myself off to the side enough when going over the bars but apparently not.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

I do believe if I had landed on the gas more I would have been far less likely to go over the bars. Almost certainly would have still crashed but not as bad of an outcome.
|

5/31/2018 5:50 PM

Berm wrote:

Don't do this: Guess I needed to keep it pinned. Thought I had it. Helmet has 4 separate cracks, one on each cheek, one on the back and one near the chin, no concussion though (thank you Bell Moto 9 Carbon). Bike landed on me, thought I threw myself off to the side enough when going over the bars but apparently not.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

I do believe if I had landed on the gas more I would have been far less likely to go over the bars. Almost certainly would have still crashed but not as bad of an outcome.

That was gnarly! Glad you are okay.

|

Heavy Hitter

5/31/2018 5:52 PM

I know it's tough to think in the moment but you also don't want to stick your arms out when going to the ground. The natural reaction is to brace for impact but that's an easy way to snap your arm. Good advice I once got was to basically act drunk when you're about to hit the ground. Let your body go limp and not tense up at all.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

5/31/2018 5:55 PM

ProKawi24 wrote:

I know it's tough to think in the moment but you also don't want to stick your arms out when going to the ground. The natural reaction is to brace for impact but that's an easy way to snap your arm. Good advice I once got was to basically act drunk when you're about to hit the ground. Let your body go limp and not tense up at all.

Don't stick your arms straight INTO the ground, but you absolutely can stick them out in front of you, more surface area to absorb the fall.

|

5/31/2018 6:06 PM

Do a lot of weight lifting and tune your suspension right. I have no problem over jumping stuff or coming up short. Between weightlifting, body position, and suspension. I don't worry about it

|

5/31/2018 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2018 6:47 PM

Thanks guys!!

|

Heavy Hitter

5/31/2018 6:46 PM

Thanks guys!!

|

Heavy Hitter

5/31/2018 6:51 PM

jesh I said throttle and squats!! bros you know I did.whistling

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

5/31/2018 7:55 PM

Go a bit faster next time

|

5/31/2018 8:10 PM

JMX247 wrote:

Photo

Heard about this. Such a bummer bud. Did you do that on Sunday?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/31/2018 8:13 PM

When I am trying new jumps and am not sure, 99% of the time I over shoot. Land rear wheel first on the gas.

|

5/31/2018 8:32 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Do a lot of weight lifting and tune your suspension right. I have no problem over jumping stuff or coming up short. Between weightlifting, body position, and suspension. I don't worry about it

The 450 class is calling your name then

|

6/1/2018 4:05 AM

Marty1028 wrote:

Use that one special muscle in your stomach to suck your balls inside of you and brace for impact.

dude this made me laugh so fucking hard, I spit my coffee everywhere.

|

6/1/2018 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 6:51 AM

Andy7 wrote:

To expand on the question, what is best when you see that you are truly casing a jump ? Example: Brand new track/ first day open --- came up short on a rhythm section, thought no big deal, the suspension will absorb it. Ended up that the frame dead entered the landing mound (which was still very pointed since newly built). I didn't crash, but shattered tib/fib and ankle joint. What do you typically do in that situation?

|

6/1/2018 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 7:02 AM

Applying power to the rear tire (not wide open unless your endo'ing) and landing on it first is the first step I do. It feels to load up the rear shock a little more and settles the bike out on the landing to avoid over rebound like the above video. It also helps transfer the energy from the rear tire to the front so it's not a big slap on the front. Then it's just strong quads and arms. Even with strong arms, there is a good chance you are going to smack your chin on the bar pad. I do move my feet about an inch forward to not stress out the achilles.

|