Flagger Tech

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 5/6/2014 3:59am
How do you flag from the stand and make sure the riders can see it? Extensions, man...

|
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
5/4/2014 2:35pm
If you're going to be a flagger that's a good gig right there.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/5/2014 6:57am
Front row seat. Smile
dennisjonon
5/5/2014 8:39am
i saw that guy on the broadcast! i thought the flag was "janky" until i seen this pic. thats just brilliant!
JordanB
5/5/2014 8:56am
Flaggers should stand in front of wreck so oncoming guys know to go left or right.

How many times has a rider or bike and the growing pile keep getting plowed into because they dont know where to go?

Truth is.....unless at a flat track race or youre far enough back to see people swerving to a certain side that flagger is 90% worthless.

The Shop

enketchum
5/5/2014 9:04am
I am surprised they were able to build the track that close to the wall

Good to see innovation and people trying to keep the riders safe
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
5/5/2014 9:41am
streeeeetch....what a great seat
5/5/2014 9:52am
JordanB wrote:
Flaggers should stand in front of wreck so oncoming guys know to go left or right. How many times has a rider or bike and the...
Flaggers should stand in front of wreck so oncoming guys know to go left or right.

How many times has a rider or bike and the growing pile keep getting plowed into because they dont know where to go?

Truth is.....unless at a flat track race or youre far enough back to see people swerving to a certain side that flagger is 90% worthless.
Sounds like a good idea but in practice you have to be pretty brave or pretty stupid to stand in front of a wreck while flagging on an SX track. The flag means there is an issue ahead but to a SX racer it means pin it and hope you don't hit anything. If the wreck keeps getting plowed into, whats to keep the flagger from getting plowed into?
JordanB
5/5/2014 11:38am
JordanB wrote:
Flaggers should stand in front of wreck so oncoming guys know to go left or right. How many times has a rider or bike and the...

SlowOldGuy wrote:
Sounds like a good idea but in practice you have to be pretty brave or pretty stupid to stand in front of a wreck while flagging...
Sounds like a good idea but in practice you have to be pretty brave or pretty stupid to stand in front of a wreck while flagging on an SX track. The flag means there is an issue ahead but to a SX racer it means pin it and hope you don't hit anything. If the wreck keeps getting plowed into, whats to keep the flagger from getting plowed into?
They run in front of the wreck and use some common sense.
Its not that hard. Ive flagged before. Its a flaggers job to protect the guy on the ground, (and maybe a medic or two) not read twatter while waving a flag in the breeze.
That guy? Whos looking at him? No one racing that section.
A guy on a bike has alot of shit going on right there and no time to look over to the stands.....extension or not.
If you dont have the balls to jump out there and flag guys around......You're not the guy for the job.
35smom
5/5/2014 11:54am
JordanB wrote:

SlowOldGuy wrote:
Sounds like a good idea but in practice you have to be pretty brave or pretty stupid to stand in front of a wreck while flagging...
JordanB wrote:
They run in front of the wreck and use some common sense. Its not that hard. Ive flagged before. Its a flaggers job to protect the...
Its not that hard. Ive flagged before. Its a flaggers job to protect the guy on the ground, (and maybe a medic or two) not read twatter while waving a flag in the breeze.
A guy on a bike has alot of shit going on right there and no time to look over to the stands.....extension or not.
If you dont have the balls to jump out there and flag guys around......You're not the guy for the job.
I doubt you have flagged a professional event...if so tell us. In the pro ranks it is not the flaggers job, but the runners you see with helmets on. Watch the SX again.
JordanB
5/5/2014 2:02pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
JordanB wrote:
They run in front of the wreck and use some common sense. Its not that hard. Ive flagged before. Its a flaggers job to protect the...
35smom wrote:
I doubt you have flagged a professional event...if so tell us. In the pro ranks it is not the flaggers job, but the runners you see...
I doubt you have flagged a professional event...if so tell us. In the pro ranks it is not the flaggers job, but the runners you see with helmets on. Watch the SX again.
The Alessi run over was a deal where the poor kid was screwed for example.

How about this 35s mom, since you want to call me out. When your kid eats shit, and the flagger just stands there while he gets run over multiple times, ask yourself about this thread and what a flaggers job is. Stand and watch? Or protect the guy on the ground?

Or maybe you should grab a flag, sack up, use some common sense and get out there and direct the bikes around your kid.

Fair enough?

But then again, for the pay of a free ticket and a soda, I guess its better to watch some poor kid get plowed a couple times or killed from a safe distance while you wave an unseen flag in the breeze.
BAMX
5/5/2014 2:14pm
maybe next yearSmile

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/5/2014 3:12pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
You don't stand at the wreck. If you're by yourself, you move up the track from the wreck to make sure people have time to see it before becoming part of it. At SX, they'd have probably gone by three other flaggers before they got to this guy.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/5/2014 3:13pm
JordanB wrote:
35smom wrote:
I doubt you have flagged a professional event...if so tell us. In the pro ranks it is not the flaggers job, but the runners you see...
JordanB wrote:
The Alessi run over was a deal where the poor kid was screwed for example. How about this 35s mom, since you want to call me...

How about this 35s mom, since you want to call me out. When your kid eats shit, and the flagger just stands there while he gets run over multiple times, ask yourself about this thread and what a flaggers job is. Stand and watch? Or protect the guy on the ground?

Or maybe you should grab a flag, sack up, use some common sense and get out there and direct the bikes around your kid.

Fair enough?

But then again, for the pay of a free ticket and a soda, I guess its better to watch some poor kid get plowed a couple times or killed from a safe distance while you wave an unseen flag in the breeze.
How about play nice? She knows what she's talking about on the pro events. Yes, there's a difference between SX and MX.
dennisjonon
5/5/2014 3:19pm
JordanB wrote:
35smom wrote:
JordanB wrote:
The Alessi run over was a deal where the poor kid was screwed for example. How about this 35s mom, since you want to call me...

Fair enough?

you don't know who your arguing with........man
captmoto
5/5/2014 3:33pm
When do you really ever see riders at SX do anything different when a yellow comes out?
JordanB
5/5/2014 3:55pm
captmoto wrote:
When do you really ever see riders at SX do anything different when a yellow comes out?
It's no secret some riders seem to go colorblind to any flag other than green, white, and checkered.
They talked about this recently on one of the pulpshows or pulpcasts.
mx5471
5/5/2014 5:20pm
The flagger's job is to alert the field of an obstacle on the track. Could be anything, downed rider, bike laying there, tuff block on the track, or anything else. Not his job to aid the rider if that's the case. He needs to maintain a position to alert the rest of the field to the danger ahead, so no one else gets hurt. Others are there to care for the rider, if that's the case. The flag people need to alert the rest of the field of danger ahead, and should position himself to do so.
EastCoastMx
5/5/2014 5:26pm
Give them training and good pay............and standards!!!!!
mx5471
5/5/2014 5:35pm
I have flagged for 10 years and took the flagger training. What I said was what the training said. Flagger needs to be seen to alert everyone. Barring a critical situation like a bike on a guy burning him, then I had to get the bike off while still trying to alert the rest. Flagging is not an easy job if you do it well.
Crush
5/5/2014 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 5:48pm
What happens when there is a crash and the riders on the other side of the lane don't see it.

Not clever IMO.
mx5471
5/5/2014 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 6:06pm
The flagger in every situation needs to be stationed where the riders can see him. The flagger can be mobile, but if a person crashed on the landing of a jump and the guy went to help, the rest of the field wouldn't know about it. An elevated position in those cases is best at that jump where the flagger can see both sides. From beginners to pro's, riders know about the flags. They have responsibility too.
5/5/2014 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 6:16pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSAApmCxVw

Watch this video, tell me when this guy had a chance to run onto the track? I was doing the wheels on the ground flag at a national last year. It was on the about the tenth lap and the field was spread out and I still had to dodge guys flying by me on both sides completely ignoring the flag.

Look how many guys ignored the yellow flag when Alessi was on the ground. I get that the guys coming down the left side could not see him but I didn't see anyone check up at all. Granted it was the first lap and they were still bunched up but there is no excuse for the second to last place guy to come by and hit him while the flag was clearly out.

Also, the yellow flag means nothing to these guys. And you are right, I don't have the balls to step out in front of these guys, especially in the early laps. I won't be doing that job again.
Wahtash
5/5/2014 6:43pm
I have to say something on this.

I have flagged hundreds of amateur and pro events when I was younger. Good way to make money while waiting to get my own bike. They used to pay you in cash in those days. Sigh.

What I have seen is that a flagger needs to wave a flag in a way that attracts attention. A yellow rag dangling on the end of a stick is going to attract no ones attention except for maybe a confused bull. On the Allessi crash the flagger displays what annoys me at every pro race that I see. He is holding the flag in the air and not waving it in any way that attracts attention.

Most of the time inept flaggers will hold the flagstick up and just jiggle it around until the flag is wound up around the top of the stick...come on, you have all seen this. This says to riders, "lemon snow cones for everyone after the race".

I'm sorry but holding a yellow pillowcase on the end of a fourty foot poll would only be good for directing traffic on a rural two lane.
SEEMEFIRST
5/5/2014 6:53pm
Wahtash wrote:
I have to say something on this. I have flagged hundreds of amateur and pro events when I was younger. Good way to make money while...

I have flagged hundreds of amateur and pro events when I was younger. Good way to make money while waiting to get my own bike. They used to pay you in cash in those days. Sigh.

What I have seen is that a flagger needs to wave a flag in a way that attracts attention. A yellow rag dangling on the end of a stick is going to attract no ones attention except for maybe a confused bull. On the Allessi crash the flagger displays what annoys me at every pro race that I see. He is holding the flag in the air and not waving it in any way that attracts attention.

Most of the time inept flaggers will hold the flagstick up and just jiggle it around until the flag is wound up around the top of the stick...come on, you have all seen this. This says to riders, "lemon snow cones for everyone after the race".

I'm sorry but holding a yellow pillowcase on the end of a fourty foot poll would only be good for directing traffic on a rural two lane.
Yep...

I too have decades of flagging and communications expierence, from MX to sports car.

Every training session I have given, I stress toNOT go to the crash, but posioion yourself in a safe place upstream, and flag with appropriate vigor to help describe the ammount of danger ahead.

If there's a guy stalled off track kicking away on it, maybe a stationary yellow to just give riders a heads up. If the guy is down in a blind location and there's track blockage, wave that thing like a windmill in a tornado!

I worked MX at primarily one track for 15 years, and the riders become used to how you do things. What I've noticed over the years at pro events is they just use brother-in-laws, and buddies of someone that have no expierence, and riders have to figure out what each guy is telling him.

There should be consistency, but that's hard to get with a travelling show without full time travelling flaggers.

That's why sports car races all look professional when it comes to flagging and communications. They only get proven, expierenced people who do it for the love of it. All are volunteers. Get lunch and a T-shirt...
35smom
5/5/2014 7:41pm
JordanB wrote:
35smom wrote:
JordanB wrote:

Fair enough?

I've probably flagged at more races than you've ever been to Jordon. By the sound of you intelligent dialect your young? Again instead of trying to be the internet loudmouth, watch any SX or MX race...then tell me what the flaggers job is.
My "kid" has eaten plenty of shit. You tube his crash from Washougal in 2012. I'm well aware of how it happens Jordan, but running out onto a track in front of Pros riding at 60+ MPH is the wrong thing to do...fair enough?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/5/2014 7:45pm
Wahtash wrote:
I have to say something on this. I have flagged hundreds of amateur and pro events when I was younger. Good way to make money while...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Yep... I too have decades of flagging and communications expierence, from MX to sports car. Every training session I have given, I stress toNOT go to...
Yep...

I too have decades of flagging and communications expierence, from MX to sports car.

Every training session I have given, I stress toNOT go to the crash, but posioion yourself in a safe place upstream, and flag with appropriate vigor to help describe the ammount of danger ahead.

If there's a guy stalled off track kicking away on it, maybe a stationary yellow to just give riders a heads up. If the guy is down in a blind location and there's track blockage, wave that thing like a windmill in a tornado!

I worked MX at primarily one track for 15 years, and the riders become used to how you do things. What I've noticed over the years at pro events is they just use brother-in-laws, and buddies of someone that have no expierence, and riders have to figure out what each guy is telling him.

There should be consistency, but that's hard to get with a travelling show without full time travelling flaggers.

That's why sports car races all look professional when it comes to flagging and communications. They only get proven, expierenced people who do it for the love of it. All are volunteers. Get lunch and a T-shirt...
Nicely done.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
5/5/2014 10:28pm
35smom wrote:
JordanB wrote:

Fair enough?

you don't know who your arguing with........man
Cool
SEEMEFIRST
5/5/2014 10:36pm
Wahtash wrote:

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Yep... I too have decades of flagging and communications expierence, from MX to sports car. Every training session I have given, I stress toNOT go to...
Yep...

GuyB wrote:
Nicely done.
Don't get used to it... I'll be back to bricking posts shortly. Wink
41NDT
5/6/2014 3:03am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Yep...

QUOTE: If there's a guy stalled off track kicking away on it, maybe a stationary yellow to just give riders a heads up. If the guy is down in a blind location and there's track blockage, wave that thing like a windmill in a tornado!
Absolute spot on there mate.
I feel the problem with the yellow not being adhered to is the fact that riders have become numb to the yellow as it's miss used. Nothing worse than seeing a yellow being waved for a stalled rider in a corner 2 straights away. If it's serious waved it till the threads unravel
jamma10
5/6/2014 3:29am
And then there is always that horrible situation where a rider goes down out of sight and lays injured and the ONLY person who saw it happen is the flagger who is then faced with a difficult choice; helplessly wave their flag and hope it raises the attention of others or attend to the stricken rider who could be seriously hurt or having trouble breathing?

I hate watching that happen and even I've jumped the fence myself to help out when there were no other marhsalls or medics around.

Post a reply to: Flagger Tech

The Latest