How to seal the ends?

Does this dent affect the performance?
Any help is appreciated 😔

|
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/30/2020 6:15pm
I’d just run it. That will not affect the performance, although some will tell you different.
If you really want to fix it, I’d send it to piperepair.com and have them do it. It’s easy to screw up with tiranium, the freezing method ain’t gonna work on that. You’ll need heat and patience.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
5/30/2020 6:35pm
I had one fixed a few years ago. the guy cut it at the weld, knocked out the dent somehow and welded it back up..came out perfect and i think he only charged like $50... you need a guy that's good with Ti though. my guy is in ca., unfortunately.
another option is to just go ahead and buy that new one, money is the easy way out Grinning

you could prolly get something for that dented one too.... or practice dent removal with it Wink
jmo443
5/30/2020 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2020 8:14pm
It will affect performance 100%. More than likely not noticeable though to most riders. They are a certain diameter for a reason. The powerbombs(I think that’s what they’re called now) and other pipes with larger diameter portions of the header are like that for a reason. No idea where to go to fix it I’d call fmf first.

2 stroke with a dent like that I wouldn’t even worry.
jmo443
5/30/2020 8:13pm
After looking further it looks like you have the mega bomb or power bomb or whatever the fmfs are called. Sorry too lazy to look it up but that’s why there’s different sizes throughout the header.

The Shop

Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
5/30/2020 8:29pm
I did my ti header by pressurising the header with about 20 psi and heated the area with an oxyacetylene torch. Go slow and be careful you don't blow a hole in it. Work from the perimeter of the dent and slowly move in as the dent "rolls" out.
Timo_2824
5/30/2020 9:30pm
Some of you need to watch engine masters on Motor Trend, one episode they take sledge hammers to long tube headers. As long as the tube isn't completely pinched off I wouldn't worry about it.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/30/2020 9:47pm
Timo_2824 wrote:
Some of you need to watch engine masters on Motor Trend, one episode they take sledge hammers to long tube headers. As long as the tube...
Some of you need to watch engine masters on Motor Trend, one episode they take sledge hammers to long tube headers. As long as the tube isn't completely pinched off I wouldn't worry about it.
There’s a guy I ride with a lot that has Dynoed brand new pipes and pipes with a dent and many dents, and he said they do not lose HP. But like I already posted, there will be plenty of people that will argue that ! This friend of mine has more experience than anyone on this board, that I know for sure ! Cool
Momus
5/30/2020 9:48pm
Timo_2824 wrote:
Some of you need to watch engine masters on Motor Trend, one episode they take sledge hammers to long tube headers. As long as the tube...
JBulz knows what he is talking about. I fix pipes that way as well.
jmo443
5/30/2020 10:32pm
So why does fmf have a mega bomb along with akroprovick or however you spell it? Why are pipes a certain size? Why not make a pipe an inch around and reinforce it? I’m not a pro just going off my limited knowledge.
mx691
Fantasy
1185th
5/31/2020 12:51am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2020 12:53am
Pour water in down-bend part, put pipe bend down in freezer, next day dent is gone...
moto9
5/31/2020 2:38am
IMHO, blowing them out is the best method, I'm a woods rider and I'm constantly denting, bending and tweaking pipes.
I made a clamp that has a schrader valve , it's not hard to do.
Get yourself some scrap plate steel, nuts and bolts and a schrader valve, cut a horse shoe pattern for the inside flange plate, the outside plate gets the valve. drill holes for the clamping bolts in a circle that's about it.
Get some thick rubber to seal the plate. I use an adjustable freeze plug for the other end.
I set the pressure at 50 to 60 psi and heat the dent, you could probable get away with using mapp gas.
BobPA
5/31/2020 3:17am
jmo443 wrote:
So why does fmf have a mega bomb along with akroprovick or however you spell it? Why are pipes a certain size? Why not make a...
So why does fmf have a mega bomb along with akroprovick or however you spell it? Why are pipes a certain size? Why not make a pipe an inch around and reinforce it? I’m not a pro just going off my limited knowledge.
The large chambers are for sound reduction.
GODZILLA
5/31/2020 3:24am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2020 3:25am
Yeah, you gotta do something.
It badly affects what titanium is made for: looking factory.
Wink
Titan777
5/31/2020 4:09am
I did the water method overnight but didn't do much.. doing another cycle now.
Will try a few more times and will go for the pressure\heat method.
wolf918
5/31/2020 4:24am
Titan777 wrote:
I did the water method overnight but didn't do much.. doing another cycle now. Will try a few more times and will go for the pressure\heat...
I’ve used the freeze method on worse dents than that. Most of the time it took 3-4 times to completely get rid of the dent.
Titan777
5/31/2020 4:34am
wolf918 wrote:
I’ve used the freeze method on worse dents than that. Most of the time it took 3-4 times to completely get rid of the dent.
I just fill the round part, no need to close any ends, let it sit vertically and that's it?
wolf918
5/31/2020 4:45am
I put enough in to cover roughly 3” past each end of the dent. The water closest to the ends of the pipe freeze first closing it off. I sit the pipe so it holds water over the dent without having to fill the whole pipe.
Titan777
5/31/2020 10:00am
wolf918 wrote:
I put enough in to cover roughly 3” past each end of the dent. The water closest to the ends of the pipe freeze first closing...
I put enough in to cover roughly 3” past each end of the dent. The water closest to the ends of the pipe freeze first closing it off. I sit the pipe so it holds water over the dent without having to fill the whole pipe.
Second try and nothing happend. Going for 3rd now.
5/31/2020 12:23pm
Titan777 wrote:
I did the water method overnight but didn't do much.. doing another cycle now. Will try a few more times and will go for the pressure\heat...
wolf918 wrote:
I second this, had an odd looking dent in the megabomb header for my CRF, did the freezing method maybe six or seven times before it popped it all the way out. The only pain was being patient enough to do it once a day for a week wanting immediate results.
Titan777
5/31/2020 2:11pm
I second this, had an odd looking dent in the megabomb header for my CRF, did the freezing method maybe six or seven times before it...
I second this, had an odd looking dent in the megabomb header for my CRF, did the freezing method maybe six or seven times before it popped it all the way out. The only pain was being patient enough to do it once a day for a week wanting immediate results.
But once it's frozen there's no actual reason to leave inside the freezer, right?
I've tried 3 times now, didn't take it out yet but I can see it's not working.
Should I leave it frozen inside a few more hours? Doesn't make sense to me though.

Did you close the ends or just fill the dented area?
5/31/2020 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2020 2:30pm
I second this, had an odd looking dent in the megabomb header for my CRF, did the freezing method maybe six or seven times before it...
Titan777 wrote:
But once it's frozen there's no actual reason to leave inside the freezer, right? I've tried 3 times now, didn't take it out yet but I...
But once it's frozen there's no actual reason to leave inside the freezer, right?
Should I leave it frozen inside a few more hours? Doesn't make sense to me though.

Right. I would prop the header up like the letter J, fill water until it rises above the dent, then freeze it overnight without touching it. Kept the ends open since the ice would cap it naturally. In the morning, I would take it out, let it thaw to get the ice out, refill it and put it back in the freezer. Didn't see any real results until the fourth or fifth time doing it.

I tried to make it a point not to touch it before it was completely frozen, because I would hear the ice cracking when I picked it up. I don't know if that took some of the stress or pressure off that would have been applied to the dented area, if that makes sense. Started to see better results when I would freeze it overnight untouched.
wolf918
5/31/2020 4:35pm
Titan777 wrote:
But once it's frozen there's no actual reason to leave inside the freezer, right? I've tried 3 times now, didn't take it out yet but I...

Right. I would prop the header up like the letter J, fill water until it rises above the dent, then freeze it overnight without touching it...
Right. I would prop the header up like the letter J, fill water until it rises above the dent, then freeze it overnight without touching it. Kept the ends open since the ice would cap it naturally. In the morning, I would take it out, let it thaw to get the ice out, refill it and put it back in the freezer. Didn't see any real results until the fourth or fifth time doing it.

I tried to make it a point not to touch it before it was completely frozen, because I would hear the ice cracking when I picked it up. I don't know if that took some of the stress or pressure off that would have been applied to the dented area, if that makes sense. Started to see better results when I would freeze it overnight untouched.
I did the same, over night and then all day. This way it seemed like it would freeze hard and push it out. Once mine gave alittle, the next two moved a lot.
jmo443
6/1/2020 8:30am
jmo443 wrote:
So why does fmf have a mega bomb along with akroprovick or however you spell it? Why are pipes a certain size? Why not make a...
BobPA wrote:
The large chambers are for sound reduction.
That’s true but not the only reason. The length can be used for sound restriction also but also move the power around. Maybe I am wrong I have been before and not afraid to be. But I don’t see how with such short of a head pipe a dent that size can’t influence the Performance. I would fix it if it were me.
Titan777
6/1/2020 9:08am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2020 9:09am
Right. I would prop the header up like the letter J, fill water until it rises above the dent, then freeze it overnight without touching it...

I'm on my 5th try but didn't check yet, will let it sit a bit more.
I'm pretty sure there will be zero improvement. Not sure why it's not popping out even a millimeter.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
6/1/2020 1:10pm
Is that the SX header or the normal one?
kb228
6/1/2020 1:21pm
jmo443 wrote:
The diameter of the pipe affects the speed and flow of the exhaust gasses. Smaller pipe diameter means more exhaust velocity with a decrease in total flow.i believe back pressure goes up as well since theres a flow bottleneck with the small pipe diameter. Decrease the diameter too much it wont allow the engine to bring in the volume of air needed to function. Too big of a diameter and youll get a lot of flow but no velocity. The velocity of the air is what helps the combustion process. Getting the best balance of a large volume of air at a high velocity is where the power comes from id imagine. Im not too sure on the combustion part. Pipe sizing is just basic fluid dynamics.

I believe the powerbomb portion of the header is there simply to increase the back pressure. It is a larger diameter so the gasses will slow down in it and speed back up afterwards out of the muffler.
Titan777
6/1/2020 3:03pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
It's the normal one.
Going for 6th cycle in the freezer. Still zero improvement.
Guess it won't work.
BUTWHY?
6/1/2020 4:23pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
It's the normal one.
Going for 6th cycle in the freezer. Still zero improvement.
Guess it won't work.
Try a glycol fluid, it reacts to the titanium differently then water and saves half the time on freezing. Have had 2 successful dent removals with that method.

Post a reply to: Fixing a dent - FMF Titanium Header

The Latest