Fitness watch with lap timer

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2020 8:40 AM

Hey guys looking for any info on fitness watches. I've got an almost 14 year old that has had a Garmin Vivo Jr for several years and wants something more this year. He really wants something that will map him with GPS to set a lap when he is riding and have it take that as a lap when he comes around every time. That way he can monitor when he is riding race bike, pit bike, mountain bike or whatever. I'm not seeing a whole lot that shows this kind of function. Does anybody have one that has this function but isn't a $500 one? Any help appreciated.

|

11/23/2020 9:02 AM

The Polar Vantage M can track lap times thru the litpro app. The app is free and can give you lap times and it will gps map the track. You can upgrade to the pay version of litpro and it will breakdown segment times and stuff like that aswell. All you do is record your session then sync it to the Polar app which will in turn sync it to the litpro app. The Polar vantage M retails around $280. I am also a dealer for them but their current online deal this week is better than anything I could possibly do if we are being honest. Check it out. Most of the top MX guys use it.

|

www.viralmoto.com
@viral_moto

11/23/2020 9:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2020 9:52 AM

I have a Garmin Vivoactive3 and I love it. I downloaded the free LitPro app and it does my lap times and my heart rate on every lap. I got mine for $75 on Facebook Marketplace, but my buddy just got a brand new one on Amazon for $100. It tracks all your activities, sleep time, etc. I love mine.

|

11/23/2020 10:10 AM

x2 on the polar watch

Use mountain biking to record the data then the lit pro app will show lap times

|

11/23/2020 10:12 AM

Do the Garmin and Polar watches report the laptimes as you are riding or do you need to upload the watch data to the LitPro app first? I would like to look at the watch while riding to see if the lap was faster or slower. I currently have a Litpro tracker and dont want to get a watch if its a similar setup.

|

11/23/2020 10:26 AM

ElliotB16 wrote:

x2 on the polar watch

Use mountain biking to record the data then the lit pro app will show lap times

Have you compared data in mountain biking vs other outdoor? I have always used other outdoor for moto.

|

Go Hawks!

11/23/2020 10:43 AM

mx510 wrote:

Have you compared data in mountain biking vs other outdoor? I have always used other outdoor for moto.

The Polar rep himself told me to record as mountain biking. I have not tried any other setting to see the difference tho.

|

www.viralmoto.com
@viral_moto

11/23/2020 10:44 AM

Polar vantage M

Lap times are about 95 percent accurate, sometimes a couple of seconds off per session but better than most GPS watches.

Use the "Mountain Bike" setting when doing MX lap times with the Polar.

|

11/23/2020 10:58 AM

I just got the Polar "Grit X" and would highly recommend it. It's a little beefier and more bulletproof than other Polar watches I've used.

|

11/23/2020 11:50 AM

WesslingFitness wrote:

I just got the Polar "Grit X" and would highly recommend it. It's a little beefier and more bulletproof than other Polar watches I've used.

Nice watch... but 3 times the money compared to the other ones mentioned above.

|

11/23/2020 11:52 AM

Savage925 wrote:

Do the Garmin and Polar watches report the laptimes as you are riding or do you need to upload the watch data to the LitPro app first? I would like to look at the watch while riding to see if the lap was faster or slower. I currently have a Litpro tracker and dont want to get a watch if its a similar setup.

On the Garmin, you have to sync the watch with the app to see lap times. Don’t know about the others.

|

11/23/2020 11:57 AM

Garmin Vivoactive 4 and app called Motorsport+ from their download center. I guess Vivoactive3 could be enough with less money.

|

11/23/2020 12:16 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

I have a Garmin Vivoactive3 and I love it. I downloaded the free LitPro app and it does my lap times and my heart rate on every lap. I got mine for $75 on Facebook Marketplace, but my buddy just got a brand new one on Amazon for $100. It tracks all your activities, sleep time, etc. I love mine.

Second this. I have the vivoactive 4, and that along with the free litpro app gives me everything I hoping. Without the litpro app, I couldn't find an app or way to record my laptimes because I don't think my watch will do laptime by position. So, if I were to do it over, I would look for a watch that has "lap by position"

I went from an Apple watch, which sucked in every way as a fitness watch to a Garmin because I wanted the best GPS and battery length possible.

Garmin gives me 3-4 days of battery, and the GPS is what I was hoping for. The HRM on the watch sucks, but I use a strap and it works flawless.

|

11/23/2020 12:44 PM

The issue with the Litpro app is it is only supported by Apple there is no Android app for it.

|

11/23/2020 12:51 PM

Does anyone on here use the fitbit versa?

|

11/23/2020 1:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2020 1:22 PM

crusher773 wrote:

The issue with the Litpro app is it is only supported by Apple there is no Android app for it.

I’m not sure if any watch that will actually keep the times itself without an app like Litpro. I did reach out to the Polar rep and asked so I will let you know if they have something like that. Little screenshot of the gps overview from a riding session this past Saturday. Photo

|

www.viralmoto.com
@viral_moto

11/23/2020 1:25 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

crowe660 wrote:

Second this. I have the vivoactive 4, and that along with the free litpro app gives me everything I hoping. Without the litpro app, I couldn't find an app or way to record my laptimes because I don't think my watch will do laptime by position. So, if I were to do it over, I would look for a watch that has "lap by position"

I went from an Apple watch, which sucked in every way as a fitness watch to a Garmin because I wanted the best GPS and battery length possible.

Garmin gives me 3-4 days of battery, and the GPS is what I was hoping for. The HRM on the watch sucks, but I use a strap and it works flawless.

Motorsport+ app does that with your Vivoactive4 and pretty much all Garmin devices that costs 3 dollars.
https://apps.garmin.com/en-EN/apps/cfd07660-08de-4188-9d19-73cdd9250797

|

11/23/2020 1:33 PM

does anyone know if it possible to use a polar m400?

|

11/23/2020 3:11 PM

dahl-35 wrote:

You can use a M430, ( that’s basically just a newer version of the M400). So maybe.
I used mine the other weekend when I forgot to charge my LITPro.

|

@TONY351KTM

11/23/2020 3:54 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

crowe660 wrote:

tek14 wrote:

Motorsport+ app does that with your Vivoactive4 and pretty much all Garmin devices that costs 3 dollars.
https://apps.garmin.com/en-EN/apps/cfd07660-08de-4188-9d19-73cdd9250797

Oh sweet! Thanks

|

11/23/2020 4:13 PM

Shaggin589 wrote:

I’m not sure if any watch that will actually keep the times itself without an app like Litpro. I did reach out to the Polar rep and asked so I will let you know if they have something like that. Little screenshot of the gps overview from a riding session this past Saturday. Photo

Is that a screen grab of the Polar or Litpro (free) app?

Is the Polar user friendly? Setting up lap times, ect?

You guys riding with them on or just mounting to the bars?

|

11/23/2020 4:54 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

I have the same set up. I agree- it’s an inexpensive solution that works well. I definitely like the wrist based heart rate sensor although I think it sacrifices some accuracy for convenience.

|

11/23/2020 5:55 PM

I know this reply isn’t answering the question on watches,
Another option that LITPro now has is if you are using a GOPRO, you can download the data (not video) from your GOPRO using your computer it then syncs to your LITPro App, the data is very accurate.

|

@TONY351KTM

11/24/2020 6:20 AM

UGOTBIT wrote:

Is that a screen grab of the Polar or Litpro (free) app?

Is the Polar user friendly? Setting up lap times, ect?

You guys riding with them on or just mounting to the bars?

That was a screen shot of the Polar app.

The Polar App is extremely easy to use in my opinion. I managed to learn my way around it in a decent amount of time and I’m not the most tech savvy.

I just ride with my watch on my wrist, most people do, they just pull their sleeve down over it. It will give you a ballpark HR reading too. If you wanted to pair it with a HR strap then you could mount it on the bars if you wanted.

Here is a screen shot of the same session on the litpro app. I don’t have the premium so I can’t break it down to segments but I just like seeing my lap times and how bad I fall off each lap and try to improve that.

, Photo

|

www.viralmoto.com
@viral_moto

11/24/2020 4:51 PM

dahl-35 wrote:

I use an m400, works good enough for me

|

11/24/2020 5:05 PM

I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 I picked up on ebay. Very affordable, gives me heart rate and laps with the Motosports+ app (it was an extra $5 or something like that.) When I come back to the truck, the laps are already uploaded to my phone by the time I get my helmet off. The only catch, the GPS isn't super sensitive, so when you set your spot where you are going to mark laps from, make sure to find a spot where the track isn't close to doubling back on itself. Otherwise it will get confused and make some weird partial laps. But for the price I can't complain!

|

11/24/2020 7:17 PM

Yeah that's where we are leaning looks like since litpro has no android app. Looking at the vivoactive 3 music so we can incorporate an MP3 player into it also and it can text without the phone. I think it'll be one that he can do a bunch with hopefully.

|

11/24/2020 7:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2020 7:22 PM

crusher773 wrote:

...what is this "android" you speak of?

never heard of it but it sounds second rate...

|

11/25/2020 3:39 AM

Can anyone help? I am currently looking at these cheap models, can anyone tell me if they will work or which one is the best. The models I’m looking at is Garmin forerunner 45, SAMSUNG GALAXY WATCH ACTIVE and Huawei watch gt2e.
Hope someone can help
-Casper

|

11/25/2020 3:56 AM

dahl-35 wrote:

Can anyone help? I am currently looking at these cheap models, can anyone tell me if they will work or which one is the best. The models I’m looking at is Garmin forerunner 45, SAMSUNG GALAXY WATCH ACTIVE and Huawei watch gt2e.
Hope someone can help
-Casper

If you want to use lit pro with it for lap times, I think it has to be a Garmin or Polar to sync with the app. I could be totally wrong, but I’d stick with those two brands for ease of use.

|