Fitness tracker/watch for moto?

Nielsen277
Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 8:16pm
Been thinking about picking up some kind of fitness tracker for track days. I'd like to see what my heart rate is like, how many calories I've burned, etc... Went to Best Buy earlier and looked at a few offerings from Fitbit, Garmin, and TomTom, but they kind of seem more like fashion statements than tools. Anyone have any experience or reccomendations? Obviously it's got to be water and shock proof. Not worried about GPS or text messaging.
|
2/15/2016 5:45pm
Nielsen277 wrote:
Been thinking about picking up some kind of fitness tracker for track days. I'd like to see what my heart rate is like, how many calories...
Been thinking about picking up some kind of fitness tracker for track days. I'd like to see what my heart rate is like, how many calories I've burned, etc... Went to Best Buy earlier and looked at a few offerings from Fitbit, Garmin, and TomTom, but they kind of seem more like fashion statements than tools. Anyone have any experience or reccomendations? Obviously it's got to be water and shock proof. Not worried about GPS or text messaging.
I've got the fitbit charge with heart rate monitor. I really like it no problems so far and it will last days on a charge. Just don't let it go underwater.
Ardenb64
2/15/2016 5:48pm
I have the garmin vivofit and really like it. I've seen a lot of faulty fit bits when they come in contact with water. I swim with mine w no issues. Good HR tracking as well.
51xc
2/15/2016 5:51pm
i personally like 'suunto'. a brand from finland with very high quality.

garmin does very good products as well and is probably the most used brand out there, which will give you a bigger community/ social media aspect if that is important to you.

i'd recommend to buy with gps tho. not important on the dirt scooter but very useful for running and cycling.
keith101
2/15/2016 6:18pm
I think ML512 shot this one of Boggle's bike with a Garmin inside the airbox.

The Shop

jeffro503
2/15/2016 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2016 6:23pm
Any of you guys come across a heart rate watch that tracks your heart rate , without a chest strap? Do any of the ones you mention do this? I'm in the market for a new one as well , since Garmin Forerunner 305 is on the fritz...again! Sent that son of a bitch back twice so far and it just keeps losing sync with the chest strap. Besides the fact , it's a huge and bulky watch.

I like the big display of the Tom-Tom. I'd like to find one that had good software and could plug it in after moto's to analyze the heart rates and so forth.
jeffro503
2/15/2016 6:22pm
keith101 wrote:
I think ML512 shot this one of Boggle's bike with a Garmin inside the airbox. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/89669/s1600_PitBitsSanDiego2_56_of_81.jpg[/img]
I think ML512 shot this one of Boggle's bike with a Garmin inside the airbox.

Is that the wrist watch part , just mounted inside the airbox? I'd be worried about getting air filter oil and other gunk all over that thing.
usafwx
2/15/2016 7:35pm
MIO Alpha or Alpha 2, the only one with EKG accurate heart rate monitoring, they invented OHR (optical heart rate monitoring). The caveat is it dosent do anything else really. The new TomTom Spark Cardio + Music got great reviews as well as far as accuracy and overall package.
Tonynz
2/15/2016 7:38pm
Between my Polar M400, and Litpro I get everything I need.
Tim507
2/15/2016 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2016 7:40pm
I have the Garmin Forerunner ....strap is not to much trouble. Like the GPS as it tracks elevation and distance when you ride a GP or Hare Scrambles. HR is very helpful

jeffro503
2/15/2016 7:51pm
usafwx wrote:
MIO Alpha or Alpha 2, the only one with EKG accurate heart rate monitoring, they invented OHR (optical heart rate monitoring). The caveat is it dosent...
MIO Alpha or Alpha 2, the only one with EKG accurate heart rate monitoring, they invented OHR (optical heart rate monitoring). The caveat is it dosent do anything else really. The new TomTom Spark Cardio + Music got great reviews as well as far as accuracy and overall package.
I know Tom Tom is using their own specific HRM optical device now and they quit using the Mio sensor. The spark was something I was looking at ( basic one without the 3gb data / music storage ) but in the reviews I've seen and read , say it can have big deviations in HRM in other activities other than running. Gym workouts with a lot of movement had irregular reads on the HRM. Not sure how that would work in MX , since we would have even more movement.

I have been checking into the Garmin 910XT since it's gone down in price.

I don't really care about pace , distance , calories burned ect.....I just need something that will give me an accurate Heart rate so I can compare progress. Something simple really.
usafwx
2/15/2016 7:53pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I know Tom Tom is using their own specific HRM optical device now and they quit using the Mio sensor. The spark was something I was...
I know Tom Tom is using their own specific HRM optical device now and they quit using the Mio sensor. The spark was something I was looking at ( basic one without the 3gb data / music storage ) but in the reviews I've seen and read , say it can have big deviations in HRM in other activities other than running. Gym workouts with a lot of movement had irregular reads on the HRM. Not sure how that would work in MX , since we would have even more movement.

I don't really care about pace , distance , calories burned ect.....I just need something that will give me an accurate Heart rate so I can compare progress. Something simple really.
Then go with the mio. I have it and wear it when I ride, seems fairly accurate, same with when I run, etc. Again in tests it proves to be the best for all activities when coming to accuracy.
jeffro503
2/15/2016 8:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I know Tom Tom is using their own specific HRM optical device now and they quit using the Mio sensor. The spark was something I was...

usafwx wrote:
Then go with the mio. I have it and wear it when I ride, seems fairly accurate, same with when I run, etc. Again in tests...
Then go with the mio. I have it and wear it when I ride, seems fairly accurate, same with when I run, etc. Again in tests it proves to be the best for all activities when coming to accuracy.
The Mio doesn't come with the chest strap , and they ask that you wear it about 3" above your wrist , do you ever have issues with it sliding down during moto's? I see most everyone using one brand or another with the chest straps because it doesn't matter what the watch is actually doing. I'd need it to be loose anyways because my damn arms pump pretty bad.
usafwx
2/15/2016 8:11pm
jeffro503 wrote:
The Mio doesn't come with the chest strap , and they ask that you wear it about 3" above your wrist , do you ever have...
The Mio doesn't come with the chest strap , and they ask that you wear it about 3" above your wrist , do you ever have issues with it sliding down during moto's? I see most everyone using one brand or another with the chest straps because it doesn't matter what the watch is actually doing. I'd need it to be loose anyways because my damn arms pump pretty bad.
Never had any of those issues. I usually don't look at it or take my heart rate until I pull off the track right away, not good to be monitoring it while trying to ride, jump, etc. so you could where it lose, as soon as your moto is done, tighten it down and then take your heart rate, its not going to drop significantly in a matter of seconds-minutes after getting done with a moto, I see this when I get done with my runs. I personally can't get used to the chest straps and the MIO is just as accurate.
jeffro503
2/15/2016 8:41pm
jeffro503 wrote:
The Mio doesn't come with the chest strap , and they ask that you wear it about 3" above your wrist , do you ever have...
usafwx wrote:
Never had any of those issues. I usually don't look at it or take my heart rate until I pull off the track right away, not...
Never had any of those issues. I usually don't look at it or take my heart rate until I pull off the track right away, not good to be monitoring it while trying to ride, jump, etc. so you could where it lose, as soon as your moto is done, tighten it down and then take your heart rate, its not going to drop significantly in a matter of seconds-minutes after getting done with a moto, I see this when I get done with my runs. I personally can't get used to the chest straps and the MIO is just as accurate.
Well that just it....I don't want to monitor my heart just right when I'm done , I need it to keep track of everything from start to finish. I want to know how hard I'm pushing my HR during certain parts of the race / ride. That Mio does sound cool , because I don't care much for the chest strap , but the straps are incredibly accurate through out the entire moto.

I am pretty interested in the LITpro , as I think I can do all my monitoring , plus have additional bonuses of actually looking at where I'm going on the track and so for. But I have no idea if that thing comes with a chest strap or what? I think it does because guys like Marvin and Dungey are both wearing them with straps.
IceMan446
2/15/2016 8:43pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Is that the wrist watch part , just mounted inside the airbox? I'd be worried about getting air filter oil and other gunk all over that...
Is that the wrist watch part , just mounted inside the airbox? I'd be worried about getting air filter oil and other gunk all over that thing.
Looks like a Garmin 500.

Not a wrist watch. But tracks everything like a Polar would. Heart rate, calories etc.

Also could use it for speed and distance. Not sure he would really need that though.
NHtoWA421
2/15/2016 8:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Any of you guys come across a heart rate watch that tracks your heart rate , without a chest strap? Do any of the ones you...
Any of you guys come across a heart rate watch that tracks your heart rate , without a chest strap? Do any of the ones you mention do this? I'm in the market for a new one as well , since Garmin Forerunner 305 is on the fritz...again! Sent that son of a bitch back twice so far and it just keeps losing sync with the chest strap. Besides the fact , it's a huge and bulky watch.

I like the big display of the Tom-Tom. I'd like to find one that had good software and could plug it in after moto's to analyze the heart rates and so forth.
The new garmin fenix3 has an integrated heart rate monitor. I have the 2015 fenix3 which uses the hrm strap. I have no problem with that except I always live in fear of losing the hrm in transit. You can even use it for a vo2 max estimate. I use the watch for all my rides, runs, dh runs, etc.

Skiing today, washougal moto with sattelite and info , and a half marathon (with some hr data) are shown.

mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/15/2016 9:00pm
I just purchased a Polar M400 and it's awesome. All the data syncs easily and quickly to an app on your phone.
jeffro503
2/15/2016 9:07pm
Tonynz wrote:
Between my Polar M400, and Litpro I get everything I need.
I'm interested in this Polar M400. It's got great reviews and it it's in my price zone. May be picking one of these up.
9/29/2017 5:38pm
If you have the money... Go for the LITpro!

Make sure you get the heart rate strap as well with it so you can track your HR while riding and cross reference it with your race, training.

Otherwise, we use a polar M400 and use the chest strap with the watch around the bar pad. and set it on the mountain bike setting. Using the chest strap is much preferable as having a watch on your wrist is terrible when riding. It has to be tight to stop it from sliding down and restricting your wrists and when it is tight you just pump up and get sore.

We have also used the RacerOne app before and paired it to the apple watch to get HR tracking as well. This is a great alternative to the LITpro and gives very similar information from your rides.
swtwtwtw
9/29/2017 7:21pm
Garmin310xt 120bucks at amazon
tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
9/30/2017 6:38am
has anybody used the Polar M460 yet? If so how well does it work for moto?
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3835th
9/30/2017 7:04am
X2 on the Garmon fenix 3HR wear it daily as well when running, bicycling and mx from time to time. The screen shot below is from my phone which is pretty cool from the point you don't have to have a computer to view your stats.

2/11/2018 9:46pm
Just in case anyone is interested add me on map my fitness or map my run to compare workouts/training, might create a little bit of competition/extra motivation. We could possible get a Vital MX challenge set up.

Mitch Walker
mbw479@hotmail.com
2/11/2018 10:04pm
I've got an older garmin forerunner 310 and a newer fitbit ionic. I have to say for MX the garmin is far superior.

The Garmin automatically detects laps (there is a "lap" button you press on when you pass a point, after that it will count a lap everytime you pass that point based on gps). The gps tracker has settings to set refresh rate and can be set to update every second so it is ultra-precise.

The Garmin has a chest strap HR monitor which is super precise. Somehow the fitbit doesn't work for me, it's always way of, about 40-50 bpm slower than the Garmin. It might be that I have hairy forearms? Or just because I'm small boned so there isn't always a proper contact with the watch when riding MX.

To summarize, nowadays all the apps are interconnected so they all link to strava/fitbit/garmin/... so it's a mater of what fits you better and what options are best. For me a chest strap HR monitor + auto-lap counter + ultra precise gps are must have for MX.
2/15/2018 4:57am
Anyone else uses the racer one app or the strava app with an iphone or apple watch? Thinking about trying one of those before spending the money on a garmin or something like that.
2/15/2018 10:43am
RacerOne is awesome!

Works really well and is great as it has the community aspect so you can compete with others in your area doing the same tracks.

Only down side of it and Strava is that you must have your phone on you while riding. So cable ties to handle bars or something similar. Not ideal for looking after your phone haha. But you can use the Apple watch instead if you have one. They are also in the process of adding HR recordings with the watch app which will be awesome!

If you are after a cheaper alternative to a Garmin, the polar M400 is a great alternative and has a chest strap for HR so you don't have to wear the watch which can be restricting on the wrists. We wrap the watch around the bars when using it on the bikes.
crockett
2/15/2018 8:16pm
Great topic,
I think it would be interesting to see what you guys want in a hr monitor/ fitness tracker.
I don't currently have one and atm can't justify spending the $$$ to see my output, if I were able to ride more often then sure. I have been shopping though and features I would want would be

1 chest strap sync to view HR from handlebar.
(Maxxximmmme I'm interested in this auto lap marker you said the garmin has)
I wouldn't be checking hr while putting laps in, but being able to check easily after pulling off, and also viewing lap times would be great.
I think it would be really great to see spikes in heart rate while riding single track too.

But also optical sensor, I would only wear heat strap while riding Moto, not running/hiking/biking or other activities

2 HR for swimming as not many have this available.
I only want to have one hr/activity monitor, and love swimming

3 altitude and distance traveled would be awesome for trail rides,
4 decent battery life, not having to plug in every night

Post a reply to: Fitness tracker/watch for moto?

The Latest