Fitness-heart rate experts please chime in

deluxeman
5/18/2021 9:41am
I mountain bike some and never ride without my monitor. I used to ride so hard that I would throw up after every ride. I wasn't that fast I was just working too hard. I bought a HRM and use it as my tachometer now. I am 56 I ride once or twice a week when it's nice. My max heart rate is about 168-170 I try to ride in the 130-140 range on the trail, that keeps me moving at a decent clip and I can maintain that for 60-90 minutes and still feel good afterwards. My warm up to the trail is 2.5 miles I try to stay under 120 bpm's all the way to the trail head. On the ride home I try and cool down to 125-120 range. My total round trip takes about 71 minutes. It is not a great trail but it has some nice steep short climbs that require a good burst of effort.

I had a stress test a few years ago and they found out that my pulmonary artery is somewhat narrow. I asked the cardiologist about it, he told me " You lived with it for 51 years without an issue". I always wondered why I had a hard time building endurance even at my peak fitness when I was riding 4-5 days a week. Now I know, so my hopes of becoming and Olympic marathoner are gone I can just go ride for fun.

Genetics plays such a big role in endurance, musculature, flexibility and weight that there is no one size fits all way to exercise and loose weight. Good luck to all us old guys out there trying to stay in some kind of shape.

blaze 57
5/19/2021 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 12:48pm
deluxeman wrote:
I mountain bike some and never ride without my monitor. I used to ride so hard that I would throw up after every ride. I wasn't...
I mountain bike some and never ride without my monitor. I used to ride so hard that I would throw up after every ride. I wasn't that fast I was just working too hard. I bought a HRM and use it as my tachometer now. I am 56 I ride once or twice a week when it's nice. My max heart rate is about 168-170 I try to ride in the 130-140 range on the trail, that keeps me moving at a decent clip and I can maintain that for 60-90 minutes and still feel good afterwards. My warm up to the trail is 2.5 miles I try to stay under 120 bpm's all the way to the trail head. On the ride home I try and cool down to 125-120 range. My total round trip takes about 71 minutes. It is not a great trail but it has some nice steep short climbs that require a good burst of effort.

I had a stress test a few years ago and they found out that my pulmonary artery is somewhat narrow. I asked the cardiologist about it, he told me " You lived with it for 51 years without an issue". I always wondered why I had a hard time building endurance even at my peak fitness when I was riding 4-5 days a week. Now I know, so my hopes of becoming and Olympic marathoner are gone I can just go ride for fun.

Genetics plays such a big role in endurance, musculature, flexibility and weight that there is no one size fits all way to exercise and loose weight. Good luck to all us old guys out there trying to stay in some kind of shape.

I'm doing 15 min motos on my private track and at the end of 15 mins I'm at 140-150 pretty consistently. That is riding at 80% and not full speed. I work out on the spin bike at around 130 for 30 mins and the elliptical about the same. Right now I could up that to 140 and working on that for 30 mins. Thanks for the reply, learned a lot in this thread, very informative everyone!
garasaki
5/19/2021 1:52pm
I'm not an expert but here are some examples of my HR since getting a Polar Vantage (which I really really like as a fitness tool). I'm 41, and ride for fun but do enjoy trying to progress and push my riding.

The primary form of cardio I actually enjoy is basketball. Wednesday night is Old Man Basketball night, which is usually about 2 hours long. This particular session was when I was in what I'd consider pretty darn good shape, and we had an unusually intense set of games:

I also try to play monday and friday for an hour. My alternate form of cardio is the stairstepping machine, which I can only stand for about half an hour before I get so bored I want to jump out the window. So I try to go pretty hard, but not necessarily for a long time. This session was 2000m of the rower (which is all I can stand), stair stepper, then lifting upper body stuff. This would typically be a supplemental session when I can't play bball or ride. I try to get about 5 cardio days in a week ideally.

And lastly, for comparison's sake, here's me riding recently. You can pretty clearly see when I was on the MX track pushing, version more random riding. My fuel pump went out later this day so I've only been able to ride 2 or 3 times this year, then I just when I got that fixed, I tore my hamstring playing basketball Sad

Monk
5/20/2021 5:44pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Thanks for the info fellows! My goal in fat loss around belly-midsection and endurance which sucked last yr in moto. I'm almost 64 yr and in...
Thanks for the info fellows! My goal in fat loss around belly-midsection and endurance which sucked last yr in moto. I'm almost 64 yr and in really good health. I don't take any pharma drugs other than an occasional aspirin. I have a really poor habit (for yrs) of night time eating. I'm sure if I eliminated that the belly fat would easily come off.
You can't spot reduce fat. You have to obey the law of thermodynamics. Take less calories in than you burn... It's not much more complicated than that...

Heart rate training is not going to help you burn fat if you are eating more calories then you burn...

The Shop

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
5/20/2021 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2021 7:00pm
blaze 57 wrote:
OK I recently got a Fit-Bit and was wondering what the end goal is for achieving correct heart rate and where you want to work at...
OK I recently got a Fit-Bit and was wondering what the end goal is for achieving correct heart rate and where you want to work at like riding a stationary bike.

Right now for example on the elliptical or stationary bike and can go at 130 bpm for 30 minutes pretty comfortable or maybe even longer if I pushed it. I just started this (checking heart rate) March 1st.

So is the end goal to try for a heart rate that is higher like 140 and hold that for 30 mins comfortable or how do you use these things? I'm 63 yrs old. Thanks!
Good question.. be careful.. I would honestly ask your doctor. Everyone's heart health at 60's is going to be different based on life style, diet, and family genes/dna. Hate to see you trigger an acute heart attack.

If you wanted a true answer, maybe do a stress test on your heart at a trainer/clinic. The information they get from them will give you better recommendation then a fit bit. I would not take advice from a device that knows nothing else about you other then your age and weight.
5/20/2021 7:47pm
Me on a bicycle dieing.....

Rest are of me practicing or racing. There’s nothing like moto to keep that sustained heart bangin’

AJ565
5/21/2021 5:24am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2021 5:28am
Something to also consider when looking at your heart rate is hydration levels. This first pic I wasn’t the best at drinking enough water through the week. This was only 199, but I’ve seen 200-201 a few times. I’m fit with cardio, weights, and mountain biking during the week. I’m also 38 so the 220-age thing is way off for me.

This one I’ve learned about drinking enough, but also what to add into the water to not cause problems. Too much water flushes electrolytes out of your blood. I add pink Himalayan sea salt to my water to fix that.

On a mountain bike I max 171-175 when I push hard, but average 150’s on a good day when I’m feeling it and 160’s on a bad day when I’m not or if it’s after it’s rained and the dirt is sticky like riding on a drag strip.

Also to go with hydration the temperature plays a big part as well. When it’s cooler out my average and max are noticeably lower on track. When the temp goes up so do my numbers.
AJ565
5/21/2021 5:25am
Me on a bicycle dieing..... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/493974/s1200_EFB056CD_BD66_4926_9693_F8FAB6E8E119.jpg[/img] Rest are of me practicing or racing. There’s nothing like moto to keep that sustained heart bangin’ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/493975/s1200_639BF7FC_E6FF_4C31_B35A_7DB2C3E90262.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/493976/s1200_0FC8346A_EFB9_40B0_879F_0BA842F1BBA8.jpg[/img]
Me on a bicycle dieing.....

Rest are of me practicing or racing. There’s nothing like moto to keep that sustained heart bangin’

Are you in San Antonio now? That’s where I live.

Post a reply to: Fitness-heart rate experts please chime in

The Latest