Fitness-heart rate experts please chime in

blaze 57
Edited Date/Time 5/21/2021 5:28am
OK I recently got a Fit-Bit and was wondering what the end goal is for achieving correct heart rate and where you want to work at like riding a stationary bike.

Right now for example on the elliptical or stationary bike and can go at 130 bpm for 30 minutes pretty comfortable or maybe even longer if I pushed it. I just started this (checking heart rate) March 1st.

So is the end goal to try for a heart rate that is higher like 140 and hold that for 30 mins comfortable or how do you use these things? I'm 63 yrs old. Thanks!
|
Bruce372
5/11/2021 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2021 9:34pm
There are some good books out there.

One approach is to do a cardiac stress test and see how high your heart rate goes, and then train at specific percentage or in the 5 heart rate zones.

Max heart range can differ with age and person to person, so it's not very valuable to go after a specific number.... just like jetting really.

A good place to start is put it on, get used to it and do some various forms of exercise and see how it changes
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2255th
5/11/2021 9:36pm
Depends on what your trying to achieve. If you are trying to burn fat you would want to be in zone 2.... for me it’s about 125-130.... the higher your heart rate is you are burning more sugar then fat
aees
5/11/2021 11:59pm
You need to do a max heart rate test, otherwise you are completely in the dark.

For MX, you need training in zone 2 and 4 mainly. Zone 3 you can completely skip.

Zone 5 you get on the bike. If you are doing off season training you could do a 4x4min interval session 1-2 a week or so in the end of a longer zone 2 session.
5/12/2021 5:05am
There is a ton of studies that indicate that a good estimate of your Maximum Heart Rate = 220 - your age. In your case MHR = 220-63 = 157.
The training zones are based on percentages of the Max Heart Rate. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, be it fat loss, endurance, or an increase in your high heart rate performance capability, you can use the heart rate monitor to train in specific heart rate zones.
Do a google search or a Youtube search on heart rate monitor training methods.
I hope that helps...?

The Shop

Jeff_Brines
5/12/2021 5:57am
As others have pointed out, your question is to "how to use this thing" is a bit broad.

What is your goal? Lose weight? Build an aerobic base? Compliment your anaerobic ability? Make sure you aren't over-training?

A heart rate monitor alone is simply like adding a temperature gauge to your bike. By itself, its purely academic. There are people who devote their lives to using this gauge (in combination with other metrics) to develop a better way to train. (exercise science).

Personally, I find most heart rate monitor training to be excessive, even near the elite level (I race as a pro in XC mtb and enduro). I do however use a heart rate monitor to check if I'm over trained. (whoop is excellent for this)

Your mileage may vary, but don't let the focus on the heart rate get in the way of the most important thing - getting out and getting exercise in the first place.

Most people need to focus on building a lifestyle around working out, and breaking a sweat, the heart rate component is something useful once you are looking to eek the most out of your training.
5/12/2021 6:00am
Coach Robb Beams has some great information on HR give him a listen
Blackie59
5/12/2021 6:21am
I'm 62 and my cardiologist, after a stress test, told me to go up to 80 percent of maximum heart rate. For me that's 126 bpm. When I'm running my bpm's are usually about 114 but I've been running for 28 years so my thumper is in great shape. A basic rule of thumb for cardio is if you can talk while you do it you're doing it right. If you can't talk then your doing too much. So if you're gasping for air you need to back off.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
5/12/2021 7:16am
Blackie59 wrote:
I'm 62 and my cardiologist, after a stress test, told me to go up to 80 percent of maximum heart rate. For me that's 126 bpm...
I'm 62 and my cardiologist, after a stress test, told me to go up to 80 percent of maximum heart rate. For me that's 126 bpm. When I'm running my bpm's are usually about 114 but I've been running for 28 years so my thumper is in great shape. A basic rule of thumb for cardio is if you can talk while you do it you're doing it right. If you can't talk then your doing too much. So if you're gasping for air you need to back off.
Your last few sentences are great advice.
jbrow125
5/12/2021 9:04am
Joe Friel is an excellent source of information. You can pick his books up used on ebay for less than $5 often enough. Or borrow them from the library.
https://joefrielsblog.com/blog/

I wouldn't use the 220 minus age idea, it's too generic and supposed to fit everybody. You have a HR monitor, get yourself in shape a bit with easy, talking pace riding/jogging, and once you feel your body is good and can take some punishment do a field test with your HR monitor. Basically a 30 minute time trial, by yourself. Go hard the entire time, but the data you want is the HR avg of the last 20 minutes. That will be your Lactate Threshold. That's the number when you get near it, over it, you're burning matches. Of which you only have so many to burn, then you bonk. Your threshold number will be what it is. It doesn't get better with fitness, the amount of work you can do before getting to that number is what changes as you get more fit. It will decrease over time with age. And the number doesn't mean anything compared to your buddies, doesn't matter if theirs is higher or lower. It's just a number that individually, you can use to set up proper workouts for you using your HR monitor.

First thing though I suppose would be to decide your what and whys? What's your goal?

And as far as fat burning stages, such as Z2. that's all good, but you have to work out for a long period of time to to reap any benefits. Higher zones require less time, but you do need to warm up. And your body will also continue to burn fat after the workout, for a longer period of time after a higher intensity workout. Don't go crazy around that buzzword HIIT either, Leave that for the gym rats and the zumba folks. You do you. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, why not? Going to hard? Slow down. Remember, consistency is key. Don't work yourself into being to sore to do it again the next day, or at least two days later. Think long term. Good luck, enjoy Smile
jbrow125
5/12/2021 9:13am
As others have pointed out, your question is to "how to use this thing" is a bit broad. What is your goal? Lose weight? Build an...
As others have pointed out, your question is to "how to use this thing" is a bit broad.

What is your goal? Lose weight? Build an aerobic base? Compliment your anaerobic ability? Make sure you aren't over-training?

A heart rate monitor alone is simply like adding a temperature gauge to your bike. By itself, its purely academic. There are people who devote their lives to using this gauge (in combination with other metrics) to develop a better way to train. (exercise science).

Personally, I find most heart rate monitor training to be excessive, even near the elite level (I race as a pro in XC mtb and enduro). I do however use a heart rate monitor to check if I'm over trained. (whoop is excellent for this)

Your mileage may vary, but don't let the focus on the heart rate get in the way of the most important thing - getting out and getting exercise in the first place.

Most people need to focus on building a lifestyle around working out, and breaking a sweat, the heart rate component is something useful once you are looking to eek the most out of your training.
Missed your post when I was reading through. Great post and I agree 100% !

I forgot to add something in my post also. Many folks talk about fitness, getting in shape. But what they really want is to feel better and lose weight. The biggest component to that is the dinner table. Food. Quantity. For those folks, I recommend tracking calories for just one week. Everything. Not a sandwich, but two slices of white bread, mayo both sides, slice of cheese, 3 pieces of lunch meat, etc. I bet most folks would be astounded with the amount of calories they consume in a day! It's so easy these days. It's also convenient to overeat. And by that I mean calories, not necessarily quantity. 32oz soda, double cheeseburger, large fry please.. Smile
blaze 57
5/12/2021 9:39am
Thanks for the info fellows! My goal in fat loss around belly-midsection and endurance which sucked last yr in moto. I'm almost 64 yr and in really good health. I don't take any pharma drugs other than an occasional aspirin. I have a really poor habit (for yrs) of night time eating. I'm sure if I eliminated that the belly fat would easily come off.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/12/2021 9:49am
Also, you dont need to train your heart/cardio everyday of the week. 3-4 days a week 20-30 minutes is usually enough to see improvments in about 2-4 weeks.

For instance, after my recent injuries, my fitness went away entirely. I went from being able to ride 15-20 minutes at a high intensity to in 3-4 laps I was breathing heavy. I trained 5 times a week (45 minutes, 5 min warm up, 30-35 min at level 3/4 HR rate zone which is 70%-89% of MHR, then 5-10 min cooldown and stretching). Usually my wednesday I would do a light day and just walk with my HR in level 1 or 2. After 6 weeks of training like that with some strength training the last 2 weeks. I never get tired.

Also for people who hate running, you can do what I do. Walk on a treadmill if you have access to one, raise the incline up anywhere from 8% to 15% grade and walk. The speed can be a lot slower and is much more like hiking. Much easier on the impact regarding knees and easier to sustain for me. I do 15% at 3.4 to 3.9 mph for 30 minutes and im sweating good.
aees
5/12/2021 9:55am
There is a ton of studies that indicate that a good estimate of your Maximum Heart Rate = 220 - your age. In your case MHR...
There is a ton of studies that indicate that a good estimate of your Maximum Heart Rate = 220 - your age. In your case MHR = 220-63 = 157.
The training zones are based on percentages of the Max Heart Rate. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, be it fat loss, endurance, or an increase in your high heart rate performance capability, you can use the heart rate monitor to train in specific heart rate zones.
I hope that helps...?
On a wider base you can use it, but for a individual it is completely useless. Can be 30-40 beats off easily if you are high or low max heart rate person. For me it is 20 beats off and that is a complete zone. So useless for training.
aees
5/12/2021 10:00am
Every other day for training works good if you are a regular person. You can aim at getting 15-20k steps instead of the days that you don't train. Training days you should still have 10k steps.

If you ride in the weekends, then you have tue+thu to train on. Monday & Friday rest days.

jbrow125
5/12/2021 10:11am
blaze 57 wrote:
Thanks for the info fellows! My goal in fat loss around belly-midsection and endurance which sucked last yr in moto. I'm almost 64 yr and in...
Thanks for the info fellows! My goal in fat loss around belly-midsection and endurance which sucked last yr in moto. I'm almost 64 yr and in really good health. I don't take any pharma drugs other than an occasional aspirin. I have a really poor habit (for yrs) of night time eating. I'm sure if I eliminated that the belly fat would easily come off.
You look good my friend! Those are hard areas to lose fat! I know! lol And I have a back that curves forward just a bit, so always looks like a little bit of a belly no matter what. Lordosis I think they call it. Some cyclists swear by not eating or drinking anything but water after 7pm. no fun! haha. The munchies will get ya. Drink beer? I love beer! It does make me want to munch later in the evening before going to bed. Looks like you're starting from an excellent place. I work in a fitness facility and see folks every day that I just can't understand how that can happen. However, when I see folks out walking, jogging, riding, that are on the bigger side. I mentally give them kudos for doing it. Starting. For so many people are to self conscious to start. More scared about how they feel they'll be perceived rather than scared of the work. Just looking at your photo? I'd say look at your empty calories. What you drink. Your snacks. Chicken, yogurt, fruits, veggies, water. It's boring, but it helps tremendously! Unfortunately I can't eat nuts, but those are an excellent choice as well if you like them. The fitness and endurance will come around. Even as you are if you just keep riding and paying attention, and consistent. The neat thing though, is when you notice a change. Say in your weight, (do you weigh yourself?), or your endurance. It's motivating. It makes you want to keep it up, to get even better. If you do lose weight, it's positive in that you feel better, you probably will enjoy the fact that you're making a positive change to your appearance (in your mind), and it just helps to keep you at it. The trick is, don't hurt yourself. Just like the young 250 riders, go balls out and then an unexpected setback. Try not to let that happen. 👍
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/12/2021 10:52am
As others have pointed out, your question is to "how to use this thing" is a bit broad. What is your goal? Lose weight? Build an...

Great post, Jeff. And thanks; you just gave me a new post idea for the grammar thread. WinkCool
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1740th
5/12/2021 11:17am
My moto days are a long way behind me, but post-moto I did race bicycles for 20 years, a good chunk at a high level (cat 1). I still ride a LOT, but don't train with any structure.

Regarding heart rate, if you want a good estimate of your max HR, do something to warm up well for about 20 minute, then on either a steep hill or some outdoor stairs, run up about as hard as you can go. The combination of gravity plus leg movement will do a better job estimating your max HR than doing this on a bicycle. Once you have that number, in simple terms you can knock off about 20 bpm for your upper training range, and then another 40 for your lower training range. So if my Max HR was 185, I'd aim to do cardio training in the 125-165 zone. One can get way more scientific, and the previous referenced training books by Joe Friel are a great resource.

For that belly fat, I'm now approaching 53 and I notice how even though my body weight is pretty constant, my morphology is changing a bit. I carry a bit less muscle mass in my legs, but a little more insulation around my middle. I'm sure some of it is beer related, after being a slave to training from mid-20s to mid-40s I've let things relax. I also think it is result of mild insulin resistance. My bloodwork shows nothing of note (normal glucose and A1C) but science largely has shown that as we age we are more prone to putting on weight in fat from carbs. So....the answer in addition to the aerobic exercise regimen, is too also cut back on junky carbs and try to make good choices in choosing lower glycemic foods that do not spike blood sugar. This is my opinion, and in practice it is much harder to execute.

Good luck with the training, remember most of us are already doing pretty well for our age so don't beat yourself up too much Cool
MDana87
5/12/2021 12:22pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Thanks for the info fellows! My goal in fat loss around belly-midsection and endurance which sucked last yr in moto. I'm almost 64 yr and in...
Your pic suggests your not far off. Great job!

There's some good wisdom in jbrow125's comments.

My 50+ year old moto buddies and I were just talking about age, moto & weight loss last weekend at the track. For us the consensus was between now and even 20 years ago:
1) we need more recovery time between hard exercise/moto sessions,
2) we need to keep muscles "long" (i.e. focus on mobility training, yoga, etc.) and,
3) it's WAY harder to loose body fat at 50+.

Skerby
5/12/2021 12:31pm
My old man is 63 and the fittest cyclist that I know. Dude puts in at least 1000' of climbing every day, avg. 15% grade logging roads. No warmup, no recovery. Just rides like a mad man. I've tried everything to get on his fitness level, but I can't keep up with him day in and day out.

For my own sanity I decided that older guys are just more fit for endurance sports. Maybe not as physically fit as the younger dudes, but the mental toughness you get from 50+ years of bullshit is definitely a benefit.
RCMXracing
5/12/2021 3:20pm
There is a ton of studies that indicate that a good estimate of your Maximum Heart Rate = 220 - your age. In your case MHR...
I hope that helps...?
The best way to determine your max heart rate is to wear a HR monitor and do a strenuous exercise like running in sand. The 220 - age never added up even close. Hot and humid conditions have a big impact on HR obviously so when, and how you test can be dramatically different.

The highest HR’s I’ve registered have always been Moto. Guess that’s some extra BPM’s due to adrenaline.
aees
5/13/2021 3:00am
I hope that helps...?
RCMXracing wrote:
The best way to determine your max heart rate is to wear a HR monitor and do a strenuous exercise like running in sand. The 220...
The best way to determine your max heart rate is to wear a HR monitor and do a strenuous exercise like running in sand. The 220 - age never added up even close. Hot and humid conditions have a big impact on HR obviously so when, and how you test can be dramatically different.

The highest HR’s I’ve registered have always been Moto. Guess that’s some extra BPM’s due to adrenaline.
It is extra due to that you don't drag on excessive acid lactose for the muscles before you reach max hr.

So doing max hr test of the bike, means you have to have a setup that don't drain your muscles before you reach max hr. Running up a to step hill will not get you to max hr, muscles will burn out before. That's why when doing max hr test on treadmill there is a increase in speed in combo with increase in incline.
Tim507
5/13/2021 6:18am
I've been wearing a Heart Rate Monitor on and off for years. Not particularly for training, rather to keep track of my max and then create a state of mind where I can lower it quickly as I ride. (Mainly MTB after a steep climb)

I wear one for Moto and that is also where I find my Max and it is a "Rather High Spike". The spike will make one's eyebrows raise!!

My moto average is 158 + - for a 15 minute moto. What I want to understand is the spike and how to manage it. Cleary the first step is to be aware.

Now I'm 69 and the average' are OK with me. I have a lower average on a hard MTB ride and in the Kart my average is in the 140's.

I find the Karting readings interesting as my max and average are real close to each other. Where the MTB has range changes that are farther apart.

Moto is clearly is off the map.....why? Adrenaline or .......?

Moto has the biggest changes.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
5/13/2021 6:24am
I’ve tried a lot of different activities, but I can never come close to replicating my Moto heart rate. Not even in the same ballpark.
Hank_Thrill
5/13/2021 6:44am
good advice in this thread.

Additionally, check your resting heart rate in the morning right when you wake up. This will give you a baseline on how recovered you are. Also, if you have trouble getting to the target HR zone you may want to take a day to rest.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/13/2021 7:51am
I can never get my HR to be as high as a hard moto during regular training. Mainly because moto uses more of the body's muscles, I am more focused on what I am doing vs how I am feeling, and of course the occasional oh shit moment. I have sustained a HR of over 200 for about 20-30 seconds via my Polar H10 and usually ride about 180-195 HR during normal motos that arent in extreme conditions. The best I can do off the bike is like 170-175. Just how it works for me at 24 years old. Never have I ever been this fit in my life lol
TJMX947
5/13/2021 8:10am
For a bit of nutrition advice - don't start something you can't sustain...ie Paleo...low carb...intermitent fasting. As a person who has tried all of these with some degree of success I couldn't sustain them and after losing a good amount of weight I put it right back on.

Calorie intake vs calorie expenditure is king...I ate 9 donut holes yesterday and a bowl of cereal before bed...scale still went down. Eating at night is ok as long as your aggregate amount of calories is in check, measuring your food is the ticket. I eat whatever I want in the quantities that help me achieve my goals - and I log it all. Good luck, I hope I look like you in my 60s!!!
Shaggin589
5/13/2021 10:12am
TJMX947 wrote:
For a bit of nutrition advice - don't start something you can't sustain...ie Paleo...low carb...intermitent fasting. As a person who has tried all of these with...
For a bit of nutrition advice - don't start something you can't sustain...ie Paleo...low carb...intermitent fasting. As a person who has tried all of these with some degree of success I couldn't sustain them and after losing a good amount of weight I put it right back on.

Calorie intake vs calorie expenditure is king...I ate 9 donut holes yesterday and a bowl of cereal before bed...scale still went down. Eating at night is ok as long as your aggregate amount of calories is in check, measuring your food is the ticket. I eat whatever I want in the quantities that help me achieve my goals - and I log it all. Good luck, I hope I look like you in my 60s!!!
This is some of the best advice. Using an app like MyFitnessPal to track foods has made a huge difference. For any kind of weight loss you need to be in a caloric deficit. Basically burn more than you take in. This app will take your height, weight, age and give you a baseline to what you need to stay under. It also links to the Polar flow app and will import your excercise and steps into your daily goal. It’s much easier than the fad diets to substain. It’s just about holding yourself accountable to make better choices. I too have had ice cream on days after a workout and the scale still goes down.

As far as heart rate monitor accuracy. The monitors on wrist watches/ bands are ballpark. For example the Polar Vantage M like most. Will be a ballpark reading not dead on. You would need a chest strap HR monitor. Something like the Polar H10 or other brands to get the most accurate reading. Those will put you right in the zone of your HR readings. I use the Vantage M and H10 strap when I ride and workout and it has helped me tremendously to stay in the zones I am after.

There are tons of zone articles and apps to help with acheiving any goal.
cable
5/13/2021 8:03pm
Leeham wrote:
I can never get my HR to be as high as a hard moto during regular training. Mainly because moto uses more of the body's muscles...
I can never get my HR to be as high as a hard moto during regular training. Mainly because moto uses more of the body's muscles, I am more focused on what I am doing vs how I am feeling, and of course the occasional oh shit moment. I have sustained a HR of over 200 for about 20-30 seconds via my Polar H10 and usually ride about 180-195 HR during normal motos that arent in extreme conditions. The best I can do off the bike is like 170-175. Just how it works for me at 24 years old. Never have I ever been this fit in my life lol
i was the same way at your age and even up to 34yrs old. so i would run stairs or hills. i wish i would have gotten into mountain biking or bmx. bmx will get your hr to max in 15 seconds if you race. mountain bike just takes a good hill.
ljubljanamx
5/13/2021 8:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2021 8:09pm
Nobody should give you A range of what your heart rate should be. You need to test it. I’m in excellent shape but have a super high heart rate. My resting heart rate while awake is typically 75 to 80. I can jog, bike, swim etc all day long at a heart rate of 175. My cardiologist says my health is great, just have a naturally high heart rate.

My wife’s resting heart rate is about 40 And she will pass out of she gets her rate up to 175 for very long.
coastie44
5/18/2021 8:26am
jbrow125 wrote:
Joe Friel is an excellent source of information. You can pick his books up used on ebay for less than $5 often enough. Or borrow them...
Joe Friel is an excellent source of information. You can pick his books up used on ebay for less than $5 often enough. Or borrow them from the library.
https://joefrielsblog.com/blog/

I wouldn't use the 220 minus age idea, it's too generic and supposed to fit everybody. You have a HR monitor, get yourself in shape a bit with easy, talking pace riding/jogging, and once you feel your body is good and can take some punishment do a field test with your HR monitor. Basically a 30 minute time trial, by yourself. Go hard the entire time, but the data you want is the HR avg of the last 20 minutes. That will be your Lactate Threshold. That's the number when you get near it, over it, you're burning matches. Of which you only have so many to burn, then you bonk. Your threshold number will be what it is. It doesn't get better with fitness, the amount of work you can do before getting to that number is what changes as you get more fit. It will decrease over time with age. And the number doesn't mean anything compared to your buddies, doesn't matter if theirs is higher or lower. It's just a number that individually, you can use to set up proper workouts for you using your HR monitor.

First thing though I suppose would be to decide your what and whys? What's your goal?

And as far as fat burning stages, such as Z2. that's all good, but you have to work out for a long period of time to to reap any benefits. Higher zones require less time, but you do need to warm up. And your body will also continue to burn fat after the workout, for a longer period of time after a higher intensity workout. Don't go crazy around that buzzword HIIT either, Leave that for the gym rats and the zumba folks. You do you. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, why not? Going to hard? Slow down. Remember, consistency is key. Don't work yourself into being to sore to do it again the next day, or at least two days later. Think long term. Good luck, enjoy Smile
This is probably the best summary based on actual science I have seen. :-)

Post a reply to: Fitness-heart rate experts please chime in

The Latest