Fit yz 125 on Mercedes gl

Frixy
Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 7:06pm
Hello guys,this is my first post.
My family and I wanted to buy an yz 125,but we dont have a trailer.I was thinking if i could fit the yz into the car(7 seats,5 of them "foldable",if i lay it down will there be some problems?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my english,it's not my main language.
|
Spooner
3/15/2019 8:26am
I’d get a rack that goes in the hitch and use that.
Frixy
3/15/2019 8:29am
Yeah i would too,but i live in Italy,we can't do this here.
Frixy
3/15/2019 8:33am
Actually i could buy it but it costs soo much compared to the bike to the point that i don't think it's even worth it,because of the whole omologation process.
Btw i would go to the track 2/3 times a month...so if i can fit it with no problems it would be ideal

The Shop

motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
3/15/2019 8:35am
Frixy wrote:
Hello guys,this is my first post. My family and I wanted to buy an yz 125,but we dont have a trailer.I was thinking if i could...
Hello guys,this is my first post.
My family and I wanted to buy an yz 125,but we dont have a trailer.I was thinking if i could fit the yz into the car(7 seats,5 of them "foldable",if i lay it down will there be some problems?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my english,it's not my main language.
I have a GL 450 and there is no way you will get in in there without taking off the forks and both wheels. I wouldn't recommend it.
Frixy
3/15/2019 8:38am
How much time would it take me taking them off?Like atleast for the first few months i won't have much money..so it would be the only way
jingram4
Fantasy
3209th
3/15/2019 8:41am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 8:42am
Frixy wrote:
How much time would it take me taking them off?Like atleast for the first few months i won't have much money..so it would be the only...
How much time would it take me taking them off?Like atleast for the first few months i won't have much money..so it would be the only way
The last thing I would want to do is take my bike apart then get to the track realizing I left some tools in the garage and now cant put bike together. Also, Bike set up can be rushed on the side of the track and end up as a overall bad day.
Your looking at a solid 1-2 hours in the garage before you leave and another 1 at the track before you ride, then another hour at the end of the day to take it all apart and stuff it in a car.
psg119
3/15/2019 8:42am
Frixy wrote:
How much time would it take me taking them off?Like atleast for the first few months i won't have much money..so it would be the only...
It's not hard but will prove itself tedious after a couple of times having to do that I'm sure. I don't know if they ship to you but Harbor Freight sells a cheap trailer that would get the job done.
Frixy
3/15/2019 8:46am
Frixy wrote:
jingram4 wrote:
The last thing I would want to do is take my bike apart then get to the track realizing I left some tools in the garage...
The last thing I would want to do is take my bike apart then get to the track realizing I left some tools in the garage and now cant put bike together. Also, Bike set up can be rushed on the side of the track and end up as a overall bad day.
Your looking at a solid 1-2 hours in the garage before you leave and another 1 at the track before you ride, then another hour at the end of the day to take it all apart and stuff it in a car.
Yeah but the thing is that's just a temporary solution...just to start riding a little bit atleast.Any other way to fit it withou taking off parts?
Frixy
3/15/2019 8:47am
Frixy wrote:
psg119 wrote:
It's not hard but will prove itself tedious after a couple of times having to do that I'm sure. I don't know if they ship to...
It's not hard but will prove itself tedious after a couple of times having to do that I'm sure. I don't know if they ship to you but Harbor Freight sells a cheap trailer that would get the job done.
Yeah but the whole approval and the hook only would cost me something around 7/800e
psg119
3/15/2019 8:49am
Frixy wrote:
psg119 wrote:
It's not hard but will prove itself tedious after a couple of times having to do that I'm sure. I don't know if they ship to...
Frixy wrote:
Yeah but the whole approval and the hook only would cost me something around 7/800e
Sell the Mercedes and buy a truck.
murph783
3/15/2019 9:13am
Frixy wrote:
jingram4 wrote:
The last thing I would want to do is take my bike apart then get to the track realizing I left some tools in the garage...
Frixy wrote:
Yeah but the thing is that's just a temporary solution...just to start riding a little bit atleast.Any other way to fit it withou taking off parts?
Saw the roof off the car and bolt a wheel chock in. Boom.
Frixy
3/15/2019 9:29am
Thanks for the adviceSmile
Question
3/15/2019 10:26am

Yeah it may cost a bit to put a "ball" on the rear bumper. If not, a second hand trailer would be not difficult to find (200€?), for sure it sounds like the best option.

Otherwise, as you said, try to measure how tall the bike is after preferably putting a "starting device" on the "fork sliders"; the handledar as it is should be around 1.3m, with the starting device 1.2?. Then remove the front wheel and measure (note, be careful with the front brake, turn the fork left leg at 45 or 90 degrees). The bike should be around 1 meter tall. Untighten your handlebars, your bike should be 92 cm high (well the rear fender now should be higher... ; if you don't want to remove it maybe try a "ratchet-strap" somewhere between the swingarm and the subframe to get the bike lower here too).

Then you can build build a "rack" for very cheap with some wood or metal you can find in a public recyclery, add maybe some skateboard wheels to help you load the bike on the rack, and see how it fits. With the wheels under the rack and you are back at 1 meter something.

Make sure then that the bike is really well attached because if the bike fell in the car and break a windows or deteriorate the inside, your parents would be mad lol.

Note, I just checked the dimensions of a GL, and it may not possible that way, sorry. It looks like there is 82 cm to 89cm to enter the bike, it is difficult. Maybe measure yourself the boot opening, then if you think it is worth trying try to build the rack, but for sure without the wheel underneath. Good luck and let us know !

Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
3/15/2019 10:59am
I've had a KX250F in the back seat of a 94 Nissan Maxima in college. I had to pull the wheels, forks, bars, and subframe off to do it.

It's certainly possible, but it's a bit of a pain to reassemble at the track, then strip down the bike while it's dirty after riding.
Frixy
3/15/2019 11:23am
Question wrote:
Yeah it may cost a bit to put a "ball" on the rear bumper. If not, a second hand trailer would be not difficult to find...

Yeah it may cost a bit to put a "ball" on the rear bumper. If not, a second hand trailer would be not difficult to find (200€?), for sure it sounds like the best option.

Otherwise, as you said, try to measure how tall the bike is after preferably putting a "starting device" on the "fork sliders"; the handledar as it is should be around 1.3m, with the starting device 1.2?. Then remove the front wheel and measure (note, be careful with the front brake, turn the fork left leg at 45 or 90 degrees). The bike should be around 1 meter tall. Untighten your handlebars, your bike should be 92 cm high (well the rear fender now should be higher... ; if you don't want to remove it maybe try a "ratchet-strap" somewhere between the swingarm and the subframe to get the bike lower here too).

Then you can build build a "rack" for very cheap with some wood or metal you can find in a public recyclery, add maybe some skateboard wheels to help you load the bike on the rack, and see how it fits. With the wheels under the rack and you are back at 1 meter something.

Make sure then that the bike is really well attached because if the bike fell in the car and break a windows or deteriorate the inside, your parents would be mad lol.

Note, I just checked the dimensions of a GL, and it may not possible that way, sorry. It looks like there is 82 cm to 89cm to enter the bike, it is difficult. Maybe measure yourself the boot opening, then if you think it is worth trying try to build the rack, but for sure without the wheel underneath. Good luck and let us know !

If i lay it down "horizontaly"?I am prettt sure that this way i can fit it in...but will doing so damage the bike?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/15/2019 11:46am
Think about putting a muddy MX bike in the back of your GL after a ride day. Do you really want to do that??? I wouldn't.

Could you get one of these?
bluepumpkin
3/15/2019 12:13pm
Question wrote:
Yeah it may cost a bit to put a "ball" on the rear bumper. If not, a second hand trailer would be not difficult to find...

Frixy wrote:
If i lay it down "horizontaly"?I am prettt sure that this way i can fit it in...but will doing so damage the bike?
I had a GL and I can't imagine that working.
Question
3/15/2019 12:52pm
Question wrote:

Frixy wrote:
Well, you can do it, but, in addition to highly probably bringing a nice petrol smell in the car for some time, which may make your parents nuts already, it is going to be really challenging to lift the bike, so it will end up damaging not the bike (who cares, it is a dirt bike !) but the mercedes very very quickly and here your parents will smash you.

I would only try with the rack, a clean option, and if it can't work with the rack due to the very small boot entry I would really look at another option. Example: a friend who has a car with something to attach a trailer, then buy a 200 euros second hand trailer. Based on the value of a GL your parents would even gladly pay for it if they see how bad it is for the car to load a bike horizontally in it. Indeed, when they will want to resell the mercedes, the new buyer will easily negotiate 500 bucks or 2000€ down just because the rear bumper will be cracked and some paint will be gone, and the boot will look really bad with some oil stuffs and scratches everywhere ... Speaking by experience Wink
Sachmo831
3/15/2019 12:58pm
I have a friend that took the forks and rear wheel off a cr250 and fit it into the back of a Kia car... where there is a will there is a way. I'm sure he still has a picture of it
newmann
3/15/2019 1:05pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I think you guys are being trolled.
No shit, any moran with a brain knows it will fit. I brought my kids first bike home in the back of a 1981 RX-7. Hell, a 79 CR250 fits into a VW bug just fine.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/15/2019 1:13pm
newmann wrote:
Options, you have them. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/15/332187/s1200_bugg_rollin.jpg[/img]
Options, you have them.

Building a rack takes too long.

Question
3/15/2019 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 2:21pm
I also bought 4 years ago 2 and a half 250 YZ while I was a bit far from home ; I just parted the bikes at the seller's house and took everything I could in the car, until the roof (a french car the size of a audi A4) !!! I even had to give away a frame and some plastics, and the car was full even at the front on the passenger seat ! Yes, when there is a will there is a way.

The thing is a GL costs like 50 to 100k... If you go "what the fuck" whereas it is not your own car, then at least put quite a few good cardboards (that you can recover for instance from behind the shops in supermarket areas), you will understand the day that you can actually pay yourself a GL. I think it is a good advice if you don't want to have a rent to pay from next month Wink
Question
3/15/2019 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 2:29pm
Question wrote:

Frixy wrote:
And yes, not that it super important vs. the car, but radiators hate it and will bend a bit each time you do it.

It is really worth it to measure everything about the rack thing, and if not working, the trailer route is really the main way anyway.

Personnally I talk about it because i already parted bikes like that mainly to do lots of kilometers ; with a truck, you do 100 / 110 / 120kmh and it is not that super confortable, in a car you can drive at 150kmh+ and it is super confortable. If you have 1000 kilometers to do during the week end, or during the day, it is sometimes better to take the car. But it is not a 50000€ car !
Bruneval
3/15/2019 7:02pm
Friend of mine bought this savagely neglected 250sx, put it in the back of a piece of s*** car he was using as a runabout, then cleaned it up and rode for a couple of years.

Frixy
3/16/2019 2:44am
Guys you all have been very helpfuel.I decided to wait a little bit more and buy the bike with the trailer,not really worth it if i will damage the gl you know
Frixy
3/16/2019 2:47am
And,if someone taught i am a troll or something,sorry but nope,just a 17years old kid that wants to start riding.

Post a reply to: Fit yz 125 on Mercedes gl

The Latest