First visit to Glamis coming up. Do's and don'ts?

MBR
1/16/2018 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 9:36pm
I'm heading to Glamis on Thursday for the first time and I'm pretty excited about it! My knowledge on the dune stuff is pretty much only what I have seen from the 1990's motocross videos (The Doonies does not count unless we would have the full Monster treatment with Monster trucks, sleds etc). I'm going with the friends that know what they are doing, but I wonder if some of fellow forum member have some nice inside knowledge? For example what to pack? What and how much beverages to bring? Best places to go? Is it getting cold in the night?
|
Sully
1/16/2018 9:57pm
Do: Watch out for drunks with more courage than ability.
Don't: Be a drunk with more courage than ability.

Other than that, have fun and keep your head on a swivel.
captmoto
1/16/2018 10:18pm
Don't get killed. Seriously. It happen more than most people realize.
Katoomey
1/16/2018 10:36pm
got a whip? you have to have to one. some places now make you have a lighted whip/flag for riding at night. I haven't been to the Imperial Sand Dunes in 12-13 years and they didn't require lighted whips then, but ya never know.

...and yes, it can get fairly cold at night. low 40's probably this time of year.

The Shop

VilloFan951
1/17/2018 12:09am
Try to be as safe as possible I had a good friend killed there because some asshole wanted to jump his tail over a main road without a spotter
1/17/2018 4:50am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 4:51am
Watch out going over dunes. A Witches eye will grab you quick without warning
omalley
1/17/2018 5:22am
This is Seth. Don't be like Seth. Wink In all seriousness, have a BLAST for us deprived East Coaster's and stay safe

https://youtu.be/XIOQdSaRpAk
One of my favorite lines ever...
“Man, you have some serious problems you need to work out with yourself”...
GPrider
1/17/2018 5:35am
still going?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/17/2018 6:16am
A sand dune is the product of a wind storm...always expect a drop on the backide of a uphill, don't ride straight off them, roll them at an angle. Don't be like Seth Enslow... Laughing
1/17/2018 6:16am
captmoto wrote:
Don't get killed. Seriously. It happen more than most people realize.
Not really...
Porch32
1/17/2018 6:40am
When you come up to the top of the dune, don't go straight over the top. ride parallel with the dune at the top to make sure there isnt a witches eye on the backside... no sand rails coming flying up the same dune.... etc. You have to ride with a flag as well. They sell them at both gecko road and vendor row at the washes. I cut my flag shorter and throw it in my camelback when im there.
As far as drinks and all that goes.... its better to have too much alcohol then not enoughLaughing
Expect it to be cold at night, bring plenty of firewood, always have a spotter if youre gonna be jumping, and be safe!! Its an absolute blast to ride there. You will love it.
kkawboy14
1/17/2018 7:10am
Don’t: ride there, somebody’s gonna die!
Do: bring lots of beer, spectate the madness.

It’s like a giant Mad Max movie on steroids!
Stuntman949
1/17/2018 7:32am
Make sure your green/red sticker is valid and in the right spot. Don't forget the Glamis pass for a parked vehicle. The BLM Rangers have no qualms about a ticket field day
whyZ
1/17/2018 7:44am
Check out the site Glamisdunes.com pretty extensive forum of good advise on the do's and don'ts
1/17/2018 10:58am
Biggest thing is keep your head on a swivel like stated above. I've had more fun at the dunes on a built 400ex 4 wheeler (before the 450's came out) than ever before. Night riding is also a blast.
Great people (idiot) watching too.
whoever said it's better to bring too much beer than not enough is spot on.
moscrop940
1/17/2018 11:33am
I live about an 1:15 minutes away from Glamis, only ever been once, and that was plenty.

Amazing riding? Sure. But never have I felt more uncomfortable in my life. So many idiots riding blindly over a dune, randoms blasting right by the camp sites, and just the uncertainty of not knowing who/what was waiting over every dune.

Keep in mind when I went was probably 12 years ago, so the amount of UTVs have probably multipled 10 fold.

Be safe, and never drop your guard
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/17/2018 11:59am
Bring a cellphone or GPS with you when you ride. If you go in deep enough, it's easy to lose your bearings at midday or at night. Having a pin drop at your camp is really helpful sometimes. If you have a strobe light or spotlight you can leave on at camp, do it. Be advised that you'll be one of 10,000 people who do the same, however.

As in any desert, bring lots of water. Drink more than you think you'll need.

Bring a ton of firewood. campfire parties are teh shiz at Glamis.

Lower your tire pressures and run a paddle in the rear. I think I used to go down to about 6 psi on an MX bike. (Haven't been there in a long time.)

Definitely get up early and cruise the virgin dunes; it's really fun! You can still find them later in the day if you look, but the most rideable spots are usually clapped out pretty quickly.

Be wary of the power you are using just to ride. If you keep flogging your bike up the big sand hill, you may be in for an overheat. Give it some cool-down time every now and then. This is especially true on a carbureted bike - definitely go up a few sizes on the main jet!

Like everyone else has said, watch for the crazies and assume they have no effing clue where you are trying to go or what you are trying to jump, because they don't. Always have a spotter. It's not uncommon for someone to ride right into the only unsafe area in the nearby 40 acres and then stop right there. Don't let that spot be the place you are about to land.

cslacker
1/17/2018 1:55pm
Heading there tomorrow myself. It's an off weekend so won't be crazy packed. Saturday dunes should be nice because Friday night a wind storm is coming through. Just ride defensive and pretend everyone else is drunk and out to kill you and you'll be fine. I'll be on an old white cr250 so keep an eye out and say hello if you see me! Bring plenty of booze and whatever else you're into. Expect a good time and a severe hangover come Sunday....
MBR
1/17/2018 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 9:14pm
cslacker wrote:
Heading there tomorrow myself. It's an off weekend so won't be crazy packed. Saturday dunes should be nice because Friday night a wind storm is coming...
Heading there tomorrow myself. It's an off weekend so won't be crazy packed. Saturday dunes should be nice because Friday night a wind storm is coming through. Just ride defensive and pretend everyone else is drunk and out to kill you and you'll be fine. I'll be on an old white cr250 so keep an eye out and say hello if you see me! Bring plenty of booze and whatever else you're into. Expect a good time and a severe hangover come Sunday....
I haven't even seen the bike I'm riding, but I think it was RMZ250. I will be wearing black Yoko gear with neon shoulders (see profile photo) with black helmet so definitely stop by to say hi if you see me. I'm going to Anaheim 2 on Saturday, so Glamis will be only one night stand for me with two days of riding. I'm also going to A2 Anaheim amateur race on Sunday so probably only hangover is expected for Friday Wink
SteezGeez
Fantasy
426th
1/17/2018 9:45pm
Listen to your friends if there level headed and you trust them.

I absolutely love Glamis and go all the time. Granted I now enjoy it in my Can Am X3 instead of my dirt bike since the wife made me get rid of it but the place is still awesome. If you know anyone with a 1000hp rail (which is becoming common out there now) ask them for a ride so you can have your mind blown.
Lightning78
1/17/2018 11:17pm
SteezGeez wrote:
Listen to your friends if there level headed and you trust them. I absolutely love Glamis and go all the time. Granted I now enjoy it...
Listen to your friends if there level headed and you trust them.

I absolutely love Glamis and go all the time. Granted I now enjoy it in my Can Am X3 instead of my dirt bike since the wife made me get rid of it but the place is still awesome. If you know anyone with a 1000hp rail (which is becoming common out there now) ask them for a ride so you can have your mind blown.
Dude I got to ride in one of those rails it was flat-out awesome
MBR
1/18/2018 8:36am
Never tried hooker before!

Harry_Gray
1/18/2018 8:39am
Depending on which direction you're coming from; ensure you stop in El Centro or Brawley and get some Carne Asada. Take plenty of water, sodas and beer. But don't forget the Carne, no matter what...
Phantom 661
1/18/2018 8:50am
I haven't been in about 35 years but from what I recall everyones advice here should be heeded.
I'm sure there has been some changes since I was there. I remember going to competition hill at night and they would set off a big ( magnesium?) fire to light up the hill. It was awesome!
Hope you have a great time at A2 and Glamis!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/18/2018 9:24am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Make sure your spotters know what there doing so this doesn't happen to you like me.

https://youtu.be/EiYHtCK3bpA
Good call getting on the gas like that. You did exactly the best thing you could have done.
Pretty lucky that the Jeep wasn't one foot farther forward, as well!

Post a reply to: First visit to Glamis coming up. Do's and don'ts?

The Latest