First time at the nationals

sherro24
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2013 4:15pm
Im heading to cali from australia for the hangtown national then the next three races. Does anybody have any essential information worth knowing before i head over, I'm talking handy little tips when I'm at the track that can help a moto brother out. Cheers!
|
brianfagan9
4/23/2013 12:43am
Stupid maybe but worth mentioning I think. Bring an easy fold up chair that comes with a bag that you can sling over your shoulder and an umbrella, preferably light in color to keep the sun off of you. Cash is good too for the vendors. Oh, plenty of water. Colorado will probably nicest weather wise, Hangtown is a crap shoot in that regard. Have a good trip.
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
4/23/2013 12:52am
Take an Australian flag and wave the fuck out of it. All day.
SwapperMX
4/23/2013 3:40am
pdub187 wrote:
Hell yeah !!

The Shop

Crush
4/23/2013 4:10am
pdub187 wrote:
SwapperMX wrote:
Hell yeah !!
Yes!!!!
DRTRYDR
4/23/2013 5:58am
my essesntial info for you: Sierra Nevada now sold in cans, perfect for a day at the track spectating. If budget permits, rent a small motorhome and camp at the track
Highsider
4/23/2013 6:08am
DRTRYDR wrote:
my essesntial info for you: Sierra Nevada now sold in cans, perfect for a day at the track spectating. If budget permits, rent a small motorhome...
my essesntial info for you: Sierra Nevada now sold in cans, perfect for a day at the track spectating. If budget permits, rent a small motorhome and camp at the track
Camping at the track, and in between, is a great plan!
What you would save on motels and restaurants would go toward rental.
WalMarts are a free and easy campsite on the road.

Wish I was doing this.Cool
slipdog
4/23/2013 6:56am
Don't stay in Rancho Cordova, stay up the freeway in Folsom. There's a big Walmart off the freeway in Folsom at the E. Bidwell exit if you end up renting a motor home. Theres a nice mall, old town Folsom and even a big lake if you're here a few days, It's a much nicer area than RC.
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
4/23/2013 7:12am
At Hangtown, get there early in the morning around 7:00 - 7:30. Walk the track and find your spot to watch from and put your chairs down for the day. It gets real crowded pretty early there and you won't get a place by the fence close to the track if you don't. I would go up on the far side of the track on the side of the hill looking back at the start. From that side you can see about 95% of the track. It's a great track, great racing and viewing.

I agree be prepared for hot weather or cold and possibly rain. You never know there but it is usually hot. If you really want to save money, I drive up from So Cal Friday night and just sleep in my car in a shopping center parking lot straight across the freeway from the track.

The frist race is always very exciting. Hopefully everybody will be there healthy. Have fun.....
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/23/2013 9:53am
Bring (or get) sunscreen. Remember, it's starting to be summertime up here.

Definitely get into the pits and meet the riders.

View from trackside, not the grandstands. There's nothing like seeing the battles up close. You can smell the race gas and even get roosted. Good stuff.

Wear comfy shoes! You're going to be walking a lot.
jtomasik
4/23/2013 10:16am
sherro24 wrote:
Im heading to cali from australia for the hangtown national then the next three races. Does anybody have any essential information worth knowing before i head...
Im heading to cali from australia for the hangtown national then the next three races. Does anybody have any essential information worth knowing before i head over, I'm talking handy little tips when I'm at the track that can help a moto brother out. Cheers!
Thunder Valley info:

Be prepared for any weather, even snow, although it'll probably be nice. This time of year, our weather is very unpredictable. Last Sunday I was outside in short sleeves and shorts, and last night we got about a foot of snow. At minimum, wear comfortable walking shoes. You'll likely have to walk quite a bit from the parking area. There are shuttles, but sometimes we'll just walk. You can bring that chair another poster mentioned, but some of the terrain, especially the best viewing area (at the top of the track) is high on a steep hillside, so you may not use that chair much. It shouldn't be too hot, but since I said that, it probably will be...lol.

The track is on the western outskirts of Denver, but it really isn't that far from downtown Denver. Our downtown is nice and also fun, so I'd suggest staying downtown, if your plans allow it. There's a lot to see and do, and much of it is accessible by public transportation. The Light Rail is now servicing Golden, and you could even take that from downtown to Golden, then hop a bus to the track, which is only about 5 minutes away. Or, let me know, and we'll pick you up, since I leave near that station.

We'll be taking the boat out on Sunday and/or Monday to do some wakeboarding/wake-surfing, and if you don't have a big party (it's a closed-bow ski boat, so there isn't a lot of room), you're welcome to join us.

Bring that flag and we'll look for you at Thunder Valley. We can show you around a bit that weekend, if you're interested.
sherro24
4/23/2013 2:38pm
thanks guys thats a lot of help Smile , yeah jtomasik that would be awesome, keep in touch and hopefuly we can plan something out, would make my trip that much better! thanks guys.

Post a reply to: First time at the nationals

The Latest