First time EFI bike owner. Tips?

Gandorlf
Hey all!

Yesterday I upgraded from a 2009 KX250F to a 2015 KX250F, I became well adjusted to the carb bike after riding it for 2 years but now I'm the proud owner of a Dual Injected bike.

My question is does anyone have any tips regarding key maintenance to keep her running tip top? I'm a complete noob to EFI. Also is there anywhere I can find an exploded diagram of the fuel system? I cant find anything in the owners manual for it! Thanks Smile
|
BobPA
2/11/2018 3:44pm
Buy a filter sock for your gas tank, ride motorcycle. That is all you have to do with an injected bike. No reason for an exploded view, there is nothing to look at or touch.

The EFI systems on dirt bikes are barely better than 1980’s technology....they are about as caveman as it gets.
Gandorlf
2/11/2018 3:49pm
BobPA wrote:
Buy a filter sock for your gas tank, ride motorcycle. That is all you have to do with an injected bike. No reason for an exploded...
Buy a filter sock for your gas tank, ride motorcycle. That is all you have to do with an injected bike. No reason for an exploded view, there is nothing to look at or touch.

The EFI systems on dirt bikes are barely better than 1980’s technology....they are about as caveman as it gets.
I've got a fuel sock on order, that will help get all the crap out of the petrol. My nearest station doesn't get too much use so it's a must for me really!

I always hear horror stories about the complexity of EFI bikes, so I suppose it's all just MX mythology?
Meister
2/11/2018 3:50pm
Use good gas.

Stop trying to check your petcock.

Ride.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
2/11/2018 3:53pm
fill it up with clean fuel and ride

The Shop

TeamGreen
2/11/2018 3:53pm
It takes a while to stop expecting the “bog”.
BobbyM
2/11/2018 3:54pm
Gandorlf wrote:
Hey all! Yesterday I upgraded from a 2009 KX250F to a 2015 KX250F, I became well adjusted to the carb bike after riding it for 2...
Hey all!

Yesterday I upgraded from a 2009 KX250F to a 2015 KX250F, I became well adjusted to the carb bike after riding it for 2 years but now I'm the proud owner of a Dual Injected bike.

My question is does anyone have any tips regarding key maintenance to keep her running tip top? I'm a complete noob to EFI. Also is there anywhere I can find an exploded diagram of the fuel system? I cant find anything in the owners manual for it! Thanks Smile
Start golfing, trust me.
Gandorlf
2/11/2018 3:57pm
TeamGreen wrote:
It takes a while to stop expecting the “bog”.
Me and the "bog" are old friends... Haven't had the bog in about 18 months thank goodness haha
Gandorlf
2/11/2018 3:57pm
Gandorlf wrote:
Hey all! Yesterday I upgraded from a 2009 KX250F to a 2015 KX250F, I became well adjusted to the carb bike after riding it for 2...
Hey all!

BobbyM wrote:
Start golfing, trust me.
Tried that, too expensive ?
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
2/11/2018 4:00pm
Taking off the subframe with the dual injector set up can be quite the chore. The fuel fittings and electrical plugs associated with the injectors can be difficult to remove. I like to put a light coating of dielectric grease on the terminals of all the electrical plugs and a very thin grease or assembly lube where the two plug surfaces will join. It makes removing the plugs a lot easier when the time comes. I’ll also apply a very thin coating of grease or assembly lube to the fuel neck on the injectors. That will help slide the fuel line back onto injector and help it come off the next time.

You’ll need to remove a fuel fitting and electrical plug to take off fuel tank, too.
BobPA
2/11/2018 4:02pm
BobPA wrote:
Buy a filter sock for your gas tank, ride motorcycle. That is all you have to do with an injected bike. No reason for an exploded...

Gandorlf wrote:
I've got a fuel sock on order, that will help get all the crap out of the petrol. My nearest station doesn't get too much use...
I've got a fuel sock on order, that will help get all the crap out of the petrol. My nearest station doesn't get too much use so it's a must for me really!

I always hear horror stories about the complexity of EFI bikes, so I suppose it's all just MX mythology?
Yep, to me anyway. The EFI systems are incredible simple, and only consist of a few sensors, fuel pump, injector (in your case I believe injectors), and the brain. Diagnosis on a modern EFI system is usually pretty cut and dry with mild mechanical skill and a volt meter.

Just ride the bike, do not let these “troubles” even enter your mind. Congrats on the new scooter.
Gandorlf
2/11/2018 4:03pm
pCp 252 wrote:
Taking off the subframe with the dual injector set up can be quite the chore. The fuel fittings and electrical plugs associated with the injectors can...
Taking off the subframe with the dual injector set up can be quite the chore. The fuel fittings and electrical plugs associated with the injectors can be difficult to remove. I like to put a light coating of dielectric grease on the terminals of all the electrical plugs and a very thin grease or assembly lube where the two plug surfaces will join. It makes removing the plugs a lot easier when the time comes. I’ll also apply a very thin coating of grease or assembly lube to the fuel neck on the injectors. That will help slide the fuel line back onto injector and help it come off the next time.

You’ll need to remove a fuel fitting and electrical plug to take off fuel tank, too.
This is the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks man! Didn't have to deal with this on the 09. What kind of dielectric grease would you recommend?
Gandorlf
2/11/2018 4:05pm
BobPA wrote:

Gandorlf wrote:
I've got a fuel sock on order, that will help get all the crap out of the petrol. My nearest station doesn't get too much use...

BobPA wrote:
Yep, to me anyway. The EFI systems are incredible simple, and only consist of a few sensors, fuel pump, injector (in your case I believe injectors)...
Yep, to me anyway. The EFI systems are incredible simple, and only consist of a few sensors, fuel pump, injector (in your case I believe injectors), and the brain. Diagnosis on a modern EFI system is usually pretty cut and dry with mild mechanical skill and a volt meter.

Just ride the bike, do not let these “troubles” even enter your mind. Congrats on the new scooter.
Awesome thanks! Yeah it has a 2nd injector in the air boot I believe. I'm overjoyed with the new pony. Cheers!
2/11/2018 4:33pm
Gandorlf wrote:
This is the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks man! Didn't have to deal with this on the 09. What kind of dielectric grease...
This is the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks man! Didn't have to deal with this on the 09. What kind of dielectric grease would you recommend?
The kind that says di-electric grease.
kb228
2/11/2018 4:35pm
Just ride the bike.
gsxr6
2/11/2018 5:06pm
Lol that's easy. Get used to not working on your carb in the spring. lol easiest vital thread ever what do I win
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/11/2018 5:13pm
Use good gas and a Matrix funnel with a screen. It’s crazy how much dirt I pick up with my screen. I’m very very OCD with my gas and still somehow find dirt in there..
bigmaico
2/11/2018 5:16pm
The only adjustment that most guys have when they first riding an EFI Mx Bike is getting used to the throttle!

No carb spring to have to pull, so to some the throttle is very light & they tend to snap it open, I did just that a few times in the whoops! got used to it after a few rides.

I'm not saying that you'll have a problem, just be aware that it can happen on the first rides.
twotwosix
2/11/2018 5:18pm
Choke knob is also the idle adjustment. Nobody ever told me that on my first one back in ‘09 lol
Paw Paw 271
2/11/2018 5:46pm
Get a service manual for your bike. They are cheap and have good trouble shooting guidelines. You will save money in the long run.

Paw Paw
BobPA
2/11/2018 6:43pm
Gandorlf wrote:
This is the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks man! Didn't have to deal with this on the 09. What kind of dielectric grease...
I use permatex, but any brand name grease will be fine.
Gandorlf
2/12/2018 2:54am
Gandorlf wrote:
The kind that says di-electric grease.
get out
Gandorlf
2/12/2018 2:55am
gsxr6 wrote:
Lol that's easy. Get used to not working on your carb in the spring. lol easiest vital thread ever what do I win
You win a reply, congratulations how do you feel?
Gandorlf
2/12/2018 2:57am
Get a service manual for your bike. They are cheap and have good trouble shooting guidelines. You will save money in the long run.

Paw Paw
I've been looking, would you recommend the official one? I've seen a 3rd party one with illustrations but it's 29.99
ehr400
2/12/2018 4:44am
Also desregard any advice from Vitalmx.

Lol J/K.

Post a reply to: First time EFI bike owner. Tips?

The Latest