First time Daytona sx questions

rrand403
Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 5:44pm
I’ll be attending Daytona sx this year for the first time ever. I’ve never been to any sx and wondering where the best viewing is since it seems to be general admission? Also wondering if the $20 trackside pass is worth it? How do you think this sx stacks up against the rest? Any other help is greatly appreciated
|
lumpy790
2/28/2018 6:32am
The BIG pain is hotel $$$$$!

Trackside is pretty good but stands aren’t bad either
rrand403
2/28/2018 6:34am
I’m staying about an hour away at a friends only going to make a day trip out of it
Roostermx58
2/28/2018 6:48am
rrand403 wrote:
I’ll be attending Daytona sx this year for the first time ever. I’ve never been to any sx and wondering where the best viewing is since...
I’ll be attending Daytona sx this year for the first time ever. I’ve never been to any sx and wondering where the best viewing is since it seems to be general admission? Also wondering if the $20 trackside pass is worth it? How do you think this sx stacks up against the rest? Any other help is greatly appreciated
I am going from NC but making a very long weekend of it and plan on hitting the GNCC on the way back. We stay at oceanwalk but book over 6 months in advance. I try to get in the 140 section each year but all seats are pretty good. The trackside is tough to view the whole track and the bank at daytona is very steep on the front stretch.

I have an extra ticket I am trying to sell in 145. Its just one ticket though.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
2/28/2018 7:46am
The trackside is really cool for daytime qualifying. It wasn't too crowded on the tarmac, and it's cool how close you can get. For the night show we just sat up in the stands to get a better view of the whole track.

Study the facility map before hand. When me and a buddy went it was last minute, and we spent a solid 2 hours wandering around the facility trying to find will call to pickup our pre-ordered tickets and get in. Missed most of qualifying. That was a few years ago, there may be better ticket options now (on your mobile).

We were staying in Orlando and made the drive out to Daytona for supercross. It took about an hour and a half with all the bike week traffic, but definitely opens up the hotel options.

The Shop

AngryBear
2/28/2018 9:37am
we go every year, it's my favorite supercross to attend in person.

trackside seating (standing) upgrade is fun to do during practice, as you can get so close. if you stand there at night 1) it will be very crowded, shoulder to shoulder, 2) you can only see a little bit of the track, very limited viewing, 3) even the straight stretch of daytona that you are standing on is HIGHLY banked. it can get uncomfortable standing/stittng a couple hours.

you can usually get some decent seats in the general admission spots as well. parking is free at daytona (or at least has been in all years past, assuming it is this year), so between that and gen admission tickets, someone can attend for a fraction of the other races.

i made a quick map, red being reserved seats, blue being general admission. blue is not necessarily worse, as the track is so spread out, even in the middle sections, you are really just getting optimal viewing with the section immediately in front of you, and much of that in the middle is taken up by the start. the trick with GA tickets, get in your seat WAY before the race starts. if you show up 20-30mins pre race, you'll be on the very far outside where it is hard to see, or at the very top. if you want to be able to show up without stress of holding a seat early, get reserved seats.

the pits are unique and crowded, they use the nascar garages instead of the semi's. it's fun to walk through though. their is a huge expo, mostly harley/road bike stuff, outside of the stadium. definitely see that between practice/race.

as a few have mentioned, lodging is a nightmare. most is booked a year in advance, and what is left is $$$. look for hotels on the I4 corridor between daytona and orlando, you should be able to find some in that direction less than 30-45mins from track. stuff on I95 north/south of daytona will be booked.

Kenny Lingus
2/28/2018 10:04am
I'll never do trackside again. Go stand on a roof for four hours to get a feel of what it's like.
2/28/2018 10:29am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 10:30am
Gen admission. Bring a 14x14 SOFT cooler packed with beer. Enjoy. Only race you can do that with! Love it.
kawa38
2/28/2018 10:42am
Can you leave after practice and go outside then get back in??
AngryBear
2/28/2018 10:43am
kawa38 wrote:
Can you leave after practice and go outside then get back in??
easily. the expo is an unticketed area.
rrand403
3/7/2018 11:22am
Thanks for the help guys! Now meeting the riders? What’s the best time to do that? In between sessions? Before all sessions?
Tbteam
3/7/2018 11:29am
Rolex 24 club tickets. $250. Indoor entertainment area (huge, not just a suite) food, drinks, indoor tv’s, outdoor private seating, trackside access, pit access, fanzone access.

This will be probably 15 years that I’ve done this option. It used to be called “Cycle Club”.
resetjet
3/7/2018 4:41pm
Camping is free at geico caveman in infield. You can bring a tent or sleep in your car. There is bathrooms and showers. Parking is free as well in the infield. You can walk to the pits, pit party and stands. Watch qualis then go have a bbq under a pop up and bring canned beer in a small cooler. Not a bad idea to rent an rv, a no hookup rv spot is $50 at thr gate only....in advance it is$$$$. But they always have 100’s of spots unused. Trackside is a waste. You dont need it for qualis so we go then. During the race its too crowded, you cant see crap, and it is at a 50 or more degree angle. Your ankles will be killing you.
rrand403
3/8/2018 8:01am
when is good to arrive to walk through pits and meet riders? can't find any info on when autograph sessions are
SURFGLOBE
3/8/2018 8:13am
resetjet wrote:
Camping is free at geico caveman in infield. You can bring a tent or sleep in your car. There is bathrooms and showers. Parking is free...
Camping is free at geico caveman in infield. You can bring a tent or sleep in your car. There is bathrooms and showers. Parking is free as well in the infield. You can walk to the pits, pit party and stands. Watch qualis then go have a bbq under a pop up and bring canned beer in a small cooler. Not a bad idea to rent an rv, a no hookup rv spot is $50 at thr gate only....in advance it is$$$$. But they always have 100’s of spots unused. Trackside is a waste. You dont need it for qualis so we go then. During the race its too crowded, you cant see crap, and it is at a 50 or more degree angle. Your ankles will be killing you.
They are charging for infield parking this year. They have also asphalted a lot of the grass rv spots. And I am almost they do check trackside access all day long, maybe there is a way around it by going from the stands. I believe prices for everything have gone up this year. I remember it being $35 GA and $15 trackside forever, and free infield parking and tent camping. I didn't look into if they are charging for tent camping this year, but it wouldn't surprise me.
SURFGLOBE
3/8/2018 8:17am
rrand403 wrote:
when is good to arrive to walk through pits and meet riders? can't find any info on when autograph sessions are
Anytime between 12 and 5ish riders will be in and out. Each team will have a sign with specific autograph times posted when you walk around.
david225
3/8/2018 8:22am
For the general admission tickets, do you still have to buy them in advance? Or can you get one as you arrive similar to going to an outdoor race?

Also, I am planning on watching practice from the trackside, you can do this without any problems with a GA ticket correct?
WeiserGuy
3/8/2018 2:37pm
I'm also going to Daytona for the first time and would like to know how good the general admission viewing is.

I looked at the Rolex VIP and the 500 club VIP but can't decide which one would be the better option. If anyone could give some insight I would greatly appreciate it.
Drtbykr
3/8/2018 4:00pm
On my bucket list, and will probably happen in the next couple of years. I’m a little concerned about a comment that it’s the worse one to watch.

Still gotta go.

Not going to stay in Daytona, was there long ago spring break time. Pretty wild, and it makes you feel older and want to drink your face off.

Expect a full report. Have fun.
2thefront
3/9/2018 10:11am
david225 wrote:
bumping this in hopes of getting an answer
You can’t watch trackside at any time without a pass.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2876th
3/9/2018 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 10:37am
david225 wrote:
For the general admission tickets, do you still have to buy them in advance? Or can you get one as you arrive similar to going to...
For the general admission tickets, do you still have to buy them in advance? Or can you get one as you arrive similar to going to an outdoor race?

Also, I am planning on watching practice from the trackside, you can do this without any problems with a GA ticket correct?
You can buy GA tickets at the gate and the trackside pass lets you watch practice.
SURFGLOBE
3/9/2018 10:38am
david225 wrote:
For the general admission tickets, do you still have to buy them in advance? Or can you get one as you arrive similar to going to...

In the past they checked trackside wristbands all day long. Yes you can get GA and trackside at the gate.
david225
3/9/2018 11:56am
Cool. Thanks guys! Looking forward to the race
3/9/2018 3:46pm
david225 wrote:

You can buy GA tickets anytime, I almost always but GA tickets day of at Daytona.

As far as trackside viewing goes, as long as you get a trackside pass, you’re good.
lumpy790
3/9/2018 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 5:43pm
Highly suggest Crab Stop II

Post a reply to: First time Daytona sx questions

The Latest