First ride stories!!

FI2T
Edited Date/Time 7/14/2018 10:10am

My bro's first ride on my wife's bolt on 04 yz250.... back story. He was near deaf the first 4 yrs of his life. Luckily after several surgeries his hearing is pretty good. Socially he has always been way behind. He might be the scariest driver ever (totalled every car he has owned). He can't walk in a straight line and is very clumsy. Give him a bicycle in wide open space he'll find something to crash into. He is about 6'2" and 320.
He is really book smart and is a giant teddy bear. He cares about everyone that he comes in contact with. He is a great dude!

So at 25yrs old he asks me if he can ride one of my bikes....  Naturally I offer up my wife's bike to be dumped! I have a little practice track my 6yr old rides on. It's flat, there is nothing to run into and really it's just the perfect spot to teach a new rider some basics. I go through the you're about to become a man and learn to ride a dirt bike talk. He jumps on the bike and kills it about 30 times. Like most newbs he is extremely nervous with the clutch and soft on the throttle. He finally gets it though!! He rolls a couple feet and panics! Like a champ he dumps the clutch, wheelies and grabs a huge handful of the whisky throttle! The bike swaps 3 times... he high sides and is tossed into the most perfectly ungraceful big boy superman ever! He gets up and says "I'm never getting on one of those things again". Probably a good thing.
|
atrdrvr7
7/13/2018 6:41pm
Good story. Your brother sounds like a good dude. Cool that you didn't shoot him down and let him try it.
plowboy
7/13/2018 7:58pm
FI2T wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/13/274516/s1200_Screenshot_2015_11_28_19_53_35.jpg[/img] My bro's first ride on my wife's bolt on 04 yz250.... back story. He was near deaf the first 4 yrs of his life. Luckily...

My bro's first ride on my wife's bolt on 04 yz250.... back story. He was near deaf the first 4 yrs of his life. Luckily after several surgeries his hearing is pretty good. Socially he has always been way behind. He might be the scariest driver ever (totalled every car he has owned). He can't walk in a straight line and is very clumsy. Give him a bicycle in wide open space he'll find something to crash into. He is about 6'2" and 320.
He is really book smart and is a giant teddy bear. He cares about everyone that he comes in contact with. He is a great dude!

So at 25yrs old he asks me if he can ride one of my bikes....  Naturally I offer up my wife's bike to be dumped! I have a little practice track my 6yr old rides on. It's flat, there is nothing to run into and really it's just the perfect spot to teach a new rider some basics. I go through the you're about to become a man and learn to ride a dirt bike talk. He jumps on the bike and kills it about 30 times. Like most newbs he is extremely nervous with the clutch and soft on the throttle. He finally gets it though!! He rolls a couple feet and panics! Like a champ he dumps the clutch, wheelies and grabs a huge handful of the whisky throttle! The bike swaps 3 times... he high sides and is tossed into the most perfectly ungraceful big boy superman ever! He gets up and says "I'm never getting on one of those things again". Probably a good thing.
What a cool story. My son has some learning disabilities as well. He wanted to ride like his old man so against my wife's threats of divorce at age 8 I bought him a 1973 SL70. To my total astonishment he was a complete natural on the bike. He isn't fast fast but is picture perfect at jumps, corners, wheelies. The confidence he gained on the bike has been a life long benefit to him in all aspects of his life. He lives on his own, pays his bills and pulls a chick often enough to make his dad jealous. He's 32 now. I talked him in to his first 2 stoke recently...He's not happy with me....yetWink
FI2T
7/13/2018 8:34pm
FI2T wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/13/274516/s1200_Screenshot_2015_11_28_19_53_35.jpg[/img] My bro's first ride on my wife's bolt on 04 yz250.... back story. He was near deaf the first 4 yrs of his life. Luckily...

plowboy wrote:
What a cool story. My son has some learning disabilities as well. He wanted to ride like his old man so against my wife's threats of...
What a cool story. My son has some learning disabilities as well. He wanted to ride like his old man so against my wife's threats of divorce at age 8 I bought him a 1973 SL70. To my total astonishment he was a complete natural on the bike. He isn't fast fast but is picture perfect at jumps, corners, wheelies. The confidence he gained on the bike has been a life long benefit to him in all aspects of his life. He lives on his own, pays his bills and pulls a chick often enough to make his dad jealous. He's 32 now. I talked him in to his first 2 stoke recently...He's not happy with me....yetWink
So cool man! Tough to beat seeing people do challenging things inspite of disabilities! You gotta be one proud paps!
I about have my brother talked into trying out a ttr230 I just snagged! He's pretty fearless and definitely never let his challenges stop him from trying and doing some pretty cool things

The Shop

cmotodad
7/13/2018 8:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2018 8:45pm
Both of those are great stories. Always love hearing a dirt bike ride helped someone enjoy life. Mine is quite old, as am I. My first bike was a Honda trail 90, step thru model. Being obsessed with riding, I would ride in my small backyard daily if allowed. One Saturday will doing laps around the apricot tree, next to the garage and around the garden, my mom came out and decided she wanted to ride my bike. Saturdays were beer days at our house and being 14 I couldn't say no to her. She commenced to get on and give a big hand full of throttle. after almost falling off the back, she managed to almost ride thru the man door of the garage. Didn't quite make it and plowed into the side of the garage. No major injuries and yes, no more dirt bikes for her. She passed many years ago and this title brought back a family memory from the past. Thank You
plowboy
7/13/2018 8:58pm
cmotodad wrote:
Both of those are great stories. Always love hearing a dirt bike ride helped someone enjoy life. Mine is quite old, as am I. My first...
Both of those are great stories. Always love hearing a dirt bike ride helped someone enjoy life. Mine is quite old, as am I. My first bike was a Honda trail 90, step thru model. Being obsessed with riding, I would ride in my small backyard daily if allowed. One Saturday will doing laps around the apricot tree, next to the garage and around the garden, my mom came out and decided she wanted to ride my bike. Saturdays were beer days at our house and being 14 I couldn't say no to her. She commenced to get on and give a big hand full of throttle. after almost falling off the back, she managed to almost ride thru the man door of the garage. Didn't quite make it and plowed into the side of the garage. No major injuries and yes, no more dirt bikes for her. She passed many years ago and this title brought back a family memory from the past. Thank You
I just turned 60 last week. When you get to my age you've got stories. I haven't seen/done everything but not for lack of trying. My 2 daughters first rides (only rides) on the little 70 were just as epic as my son's but in a very disastrous way. They both required ER visits. They just couldn't fathom how their dumbass brother could jump, bust berms and ride so fast. They gained a whole new respect for him after their fiascos.
Gandorlf
7/13/2018 9:19pm
Cool story! At least your brother wants to try it! Smile
My first bike was a 89 KX60 I think. We got it used in 2004. My brother (an expert level 450 rider at the time) begged my dad to get me one. He tried everyday teach me how to ride in in our back garden after school.

Needless to say after about 100 attempts of me flipping the bike, and many tears, i wanted nothing to do with it and just carried on with my DH biking. In a sad twist I started riding MX again in 2015 long after my brother left the sport due to a broken knee and tib/fib so we've never had a chance to ride together.
dimetime
7/13/2018 9:23pm
I was six when my Dad finally shut me up with a Korean Honda 50 knock off called a Gemini. A little 50 with fold down bars and such. I was playing in the front yard when he rolled into the driveway with it in the trunk of the giant '72 Plymouth we had. He took it out and set the bars and l begged to ride it. He warned me that it had a clutch and l needed to be somewhere safe to ride it the first time. Of course l threw a shit fit and demanded to ride it right then. He knew l was only going to learn the hard way so he started it up and stepped back. I got on, pulled in the clutch, clicked it into gear. He tried his damndest to give me a little instruction but damn it l knew better. I let the clutch out and took off like l'd be riding for years. So l make to the edge of the yard and l'm thinking l'm hot shit, my buddies are watching and this whole riding thing was easy. I pull in the clutch and make the turn at the edge and then proceed to hold the thing wide open and dump the clutch. That little thing pulled a giant wheelie with me hanging off the back and l was ok until l hit the asphalt driveway and then l eat shit big time. No helmet, t-shirt ripped off, jeans shredded and scraped up all to hell. Good thing my friends got to see.

So my Mom is patching me up in the bathroom and we then hear the 50 start up again. We assumed my Pops was going to ride it. Well, two seconds later we hear the thing rev to the moon and bunch of screaming and another big crashing sound, quickly followed by my big sister bawling here eyes out. Next thing ya know Moms got two patients.

That little monster sat in the garage for months before l worked up the balls to ride it again. We finally took it to the Fullerton Mini Bike Park off Bastenchury for those who know and l successfully spent a day there with no crashing and l've been hooked ever since.

No quite as up lifting as OPs story, which l loved, but that's my first ride story.
FI2T
7/13/2018 9:32pm
cmotodad wrote:
Both of those are great stories. Always love hearing a dirt bike ride helped someone enjoy life. Mine is quite old, as am I. My first...
I should have put it in the topic but this is what I was hoping would happen. I figured there had to be some kick ass first ride stories from vital members! That had to be pretty funny to see your mom plow into the garage (after you knew she was ok of course)!
cmotodad
7/13/2018 9:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2018 9:47pm
I think because she had a few beers or 7 and 7's, she didn't feel a lot of pain. And yes, it was a funny story for the family.
JM485
7/14/2018 8:08am
When I was 5 I got my first bike for Christmas, an XR50 (still have it), and while I don't remember my first ride I do remember my first double on it. I'd been riding BMX bikes for a while so I picked up riding pretty easily, and after a couple months I came home from school one day to find my dad and his friend had dug a nice sized double in our backyard. It was probably only a couple feet tall and long, but to a 5 year old that seemed huge!Laughing I vividly remember sitting at the run up toward it and my dad telling me the bike was in 2nd gear, and to just use half throttle and I'd go right over it. Turns out he was right and I made it no problem dispite being terrified. That was my first real experience of hitting a jump you weren't too sure about, and having that incredible feeling after you get over it that first time. I was really lucky as a kid because my dad and a bunch of his friends bought 50s the same time I was riding mine, so I always had people to chase and they weren't nice to me on our little track! People used to get pissed at my dad for stuffing me in berms and riding super close to me when we went to public riding spots, but it worked pretty damn well because that stuff never phased me growing up because I was used to it as a young kid. If I ever have kids I'm da,n well doing the same.Evil

Over the years the true story of that jump came out. Basically the had dug the jump, both of them got cold feet about hitting it, so they decided sending the 5 year old as the test subject was the best idea.Laughing
7/14/2018 10:10am
My first ride was in 99 when I got my first real moto.an 87 yz 125.I was crazy with moto from 5yo.so after 12 years of lurking and dreaming the chance appeared in my life unexpected. An older cousin of mine told me he wants to seek the bike.i told him how much I would love to buy it but no real money earnings.he said you can have it and pay me as you like whenever you can.i didn't sleep at night for two days until I got my hands on it.it was Sunday. I took it with flat tires because on Sunday here everything is closed I couldn't fix them and ride it flat for 2 hours.the biggest blast in my life toghether with my second sex. First one was a disaster

Post a reply to: First ride stories!!

The Latest