First race you ever attended or raced

ctbale
8/2/2020 10:58am
My first race (and my first time ever to attend a race was the same day) was in 1975, Mora Minnesota. I had a Yamaha DT100 with stock trials tires and rubber foot pegs and it was a mudder. Clueless. And there was a bunch of really cool sounding fast silver Hondas flying around. Hooked.
cz2crf2wc
8/2/2020 1:46pm
1st MX 1973 USGP at Carlsbad
1st SX 1974 Super bowl at LA coliseum
1st race 1972 Carlsbad
8/2/2020 1:48pm
First race was a track in Hagerstown, md. Antietam. Finished 12th out of 19 in 80 7-11. April 8th 2001. First national was budds creek 2001. Haven’t missed it since. #FCOVID

The Shop

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
8/2/2020 2:25pm
250 Novice Beginner Class - Berthoud Colorado Motocross track in 1996. My first start was 20+ other crazy shit showed nervous non-experienced riders. The loud bee-hive sound of 250 pegged in the rpms. One of the most nervous and thrilling feelings I have ever experienced

PFitzG38
8/4/2020 7:14pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
First we went to Claudostines Park a couple times with an MR 50. Then we went to the “Superbowl of Motocross” at the LA Coliseum in...
First we went to Claudostines Park a couple times with an MR 50. Then we went to the “Superbowl of Motocross” at the LA Coliseum in about 1974. About 2-3 years later I watched my brother's 1st race on an XR 75 at Escape Country/Racing World. That XR was my first hand-me-down bike until I got a 78 YZ 80 and the rest is history....well, history in my family at least!
Yup. My first race spectating was the first Superbowl of Motocross when Tripes won, yours was probably the second one when Falta won right about the time I walked out of the premier of On Any Sunday and discovered Popular Cycling magazine and found out the name of the new sport that would guide my life. Growing up in Brentwood next to Dogtown in the '70s and going to a Jr High with banks that attracted some of the best skaters of the era it was going to either be skateboarding and surfing or moto. I still couldn't get over the light in the deep end of a pool but I could wheelie my Stingray as far as I wanted, and do a mean cross-up and bunny hop. I liked the freedom and competitive aspect of moto I guess. I had just seen a PUCH do a demo going around an ad hoc BMX track at Palms Park that had been set up for what had to be one of the first if not the first organized BMX race in the country and really liked what I saw and smelled. I didn't have a bike yet but it was all I could think or talk about.

The MR50 and Claude Osteens were the next year I think. The year after that was when Jeff Ward's dad and Harry from Harry Cycle Sales talked me through installing an 83cc big bore, cam, manifold and carb in my XR75 over the phone. - I was 14 with a few Craftsman open ends, a feeler gauge and socket set. Jack Ward convinced me if I could take my XR75 apart enough to take him the piston with a hole in it, I could put it back together and time it with a "buzz box" that he could sell me with all sorts of other JWRP goodies - If I didn't have to pay labor I could get a straight manifold and carb to match my bitchen new Harrys Pipe. I still have a small piece of valve that came flying out of the pipe at night once red hot.....Good Times - Braaauup!

Escape Country was my first gate drop err...rubberband release (it was right before they installed the hydraulic starting gate on the Marty Smith track) It was right around when XR75s were a little underpowered compared to the new YZ80's - I could catch them if they ran the track backward coming down the downhill from the Odessy track when they ran that configuration.
rdrurypi
8/4/2020 7:35pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
First we went to Claudostines Park a couple times with an MR 50. Then we went to the “Superbowl of Motocross” at the LA Coliseum in...
First we went to Claudostines Park a couple times with an MR 50. Then we went to the “Superbowl of Motocross” at the LA Coliseum in about 1974. About 2-3 years later I watched my brother's 1st race on an XR 75 at Escape Country/Racing World. That XR was my first hand-me-down bike until I got a 78 YZ 80 and the rest is history....well, history in my family at least!
PFitzG38 wrote:
Yup. My first race spectating was the first Superbowl of Motocross when Tripes won, yours was probably the second one when Falta won right about the...
Yup. My first race spectating was the first Superbowl of Motocross when Tripes won, yours was probably the second one when Falta won right about the time I walked out of the premier of On Any Sunday and discovered Popular Cycling magazine and found out the name of the new sport that would guide my life. Growing up in Brentwood next to Dogtown in the '70s and going to a Jr High with banks that attracted some of the best skaters of the era it was going to either be skateboarding and surfing or moto. I still couldn't get over the light in the deep end of a pool but I could wheelie my Stingray as far as I wanted, and do a mean cross-up and bunny hop. I liked the freedom and competitive aspect of moto I guess. I had just seen a PUCH do a demo going around an ad hoc BMX track at Palms Park that had been set up for what had to be one of the first if not the first organized BMX race in the country and really liked what I saw and smelled. I didn't have a bike yet but it was all I could think or talk about.

The MR50 and Claude Osteens were the next year I think. The year after that was when Jeff Ward's dad and Harry from Harry Cycle Sales talked me through installing an 83cc big bore, cam, manifold and carb in my XR75 over the phone. - I was 14 with a few Craftsman open ends, a feeler gauge and socket set. Jack Ward convinced me if I could take my XR75 apart enough to take him the piston with a hole in it, I could put it back together and time it with a "buzz box" that he could sell me with all sorts of other JWRP goodies - If I didn't have to pay labor I could get a straight manifold and carb to match my bitchen new Harrys Pipe. I still have a small piece of valve that came flying out of the pipe at night once red hot.....Good Times - Braaauup!

Escape Country was my first gate drop err...rubberband release (it was right before they installed the hydraulic starting gate on the Marty Smith track) It was right around when XR75s were a little underpowered compared to the new YZ80's - I could catch them if they ran the track backward coming down the downhill from the Odessy track when they ran that configuration.
My first race was the same, 1972 Super Bowl of Motocross. Was Claude Osteens the mini bike track across from Anaheim Stadium? My first time on a track was there. Escape Country also was my first gate drop in August 5, 1974. I still have the trophy and I recall a three moto format in super mini first day. I remember a huge uphill jump in the middle of the track and being really slow and I won my division.
Chance1216
8/4/2020 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 7:40pm
1987, Mickey Thompsons Offroad Grand prix in Anaheim Ca.
They had ultra cross (bikes), stadium super lites (oddesys), unlimited super 1600s amongst others. Cool mix for a 10 year old.
lukeylad
8/5/2020 2:31am
Got my first race on saturday. Racing both rounds saturday and sunday.

Never rode there before and on some deepish sand. Wish me luck
motomike137
8/5/2020 11:32am
First race attended was either Iron Mustangs Brighton Michigan amateur race or Inter-AM pro race at Delta Ohio in 74 or 75. It's been so damn long I can't remember for sure lol. First race I raced was at Baja Acres in Millington Michigan in 78. I had a spankin new 78 YZ125 and I had her all cleaned up and ready to go including prodigious amounts of Armor All on every surface. I cut my own numbers out of a black vinyl sheet and carefully placed them on the bike. As we are heading up I75 my buddy looks in the mirror and says "your numbers are coming off" lol! Needless to say I realized the dumbass thing I had done, cleaned off the plates with some brake cleaner and created the missing digits out of electrical tape. I think I got 7th or something in 125B (I don't think there was a C class back then).

Post a reply to: First race you ever attended or raced

The Latest