First race(s). Man that was fun! With videos.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
I've been riding dirtbikes for almost 40 years and recently decided to start racing. Growing up I was dodging trees in NorCal, and the move down to the Central Valley with it's desert and track riding was rather foreign to me. I took a hiatus from riding for a few years and recently decided to pick it back up (couldn't pass up a deal on a CR500- but that was too much bike for me on a track). So here's the second moto of my first race; beginner class 45+ with the Over The Hill Gang. The first moto I holeshot and walked away with the win, but didn't hit the start button on my GoPro. Amusingly, I holeshot with a first gear start- second moto I tried second gear....

Yes, I'm painfully slow (but gawd it feels sooo much faster when I'm on the bike).

A couple weeks after this race (which was part of my evaluations and they rightfully bumped me into the Novice class), the OTHG was running a two day national. Hey, perfect for a newbie!

Last lap was such a bummer. Arm pump was killing me and I lost three positions. Yes I was a bit "hot" on that first lap...

Second moto, first day. I tried using earplugs specifically after reading a Vital thread- much better. Hey, I brought the Vital community with me to the race.

First moto on the second day did not record. I stalled off the line just like in the first race video. Caught up to last place and stalled it in a tight right hand corner. Evidently a walking pace through the inside rut in second gear doesn't work. Got it refired and chased down four guys, the last pass taking place in the corner before the finish line!!

I was understandably frustrated with my starts and want looking for answers. Paul Temmerman (runs the track, along with DT1 filters and Mika Metals) gave me advice on how to use the front brake while launching. I went and practiced it a few times, feeling much better. Well, it obviously worked. I come around the first corner and remember thinking to myself "thank you Paul", but in a tone that would normally be reserved for "thank you Jesus" Laughing Two laps in (4:43) and he's on the side of the track cheering me on! Although the pass made on me at 10:13 was really sketchy, I had an absolute ball. Certainly the most fun I've had with my clothes on in years! Yeah, I seem to have a new addiction.

In closing I have to thank Jeff Grodsky with Over The Top Motorsports, he's not only a great friend but does awesome suspension work. Paul Temmerman for his superb start advice along with his filters, chain and sprockets. Chris Trelut and the Valley OTHG for being so supportive and helpful.

I'm looking forward to many more gate drops!
|
jeffro503
11/12/2018 9:08pm
All I can say is......hell yeah man!! Glad you gave it a shot and more importantly....enjoyed it as much as you did. Never too old to line up. I myself am trying to get back behind the gate this next spring. I do a lot of practice day's.....but just wasn't into the racing thing any more. I did it for 25 years and can hopefully line up at least a few times next season.

Word of advice.....watch yourself out there and ride within your means. We don't heal the way we used to!
DC193
11/13/2018 12:54am
Awesome man. I only did my first race a few months back at age 37. Such a buzz on the starting line.
ZM956
11/13/2018 8:27am
Awesome man! I'm 26 and have been riding since I was 6. I did some pee wee class races when I was little and just became a weekend practice warrior for many years. This is just what I needed to see to get my ass to my next local race!

The Shop

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
11/13/2018 9:49pm
Racing even over such a short time has me really focusing on how to improve my riding. It's been 10+ years since I really wanted to improve my technique. The next race is Dec 2, and I'm looking forward to slowly but consistently improving at every track outing.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, fellow Vitards. Cool

Post a reply to: First race(s). Man that was fun! With videos.

The Latest