First race in 5 years

ktm300hater
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 2:16pm
So my son was a decent rider in his day. He made Loretta's 4 times and raced with Anderson, Tomac, etc growing up. In 2010 he was doing the arenacross stuff, got a small injury (arm) and I pulled the plug for reasons not related to the injury.

He joined the army after high school and has been in now for 3.5 years. He came home from Afghanistan last June and was as expected a different person. He recently came home to Texas for a month before he heads to Korea for a year. I have a honda 250f I bought to fix and sell and he said hey dad can I take it to village to ride. I was like ya that's cool. He had a great time and I saw a spark of my old kid I thought got left behind in Afghanistan.

Fast forward a week, he rode everyday and said hey let's go to freestone to the first round of the winter series, I'm like sure why not. He ended up 9th overall in the 250 pro sport with 15 guys on the gate. It was fun being there just to have fun and hang out.

Anyway, I was reading jakes dad post about having fun and I was reflecting on my experience as well.

|
vet323
2/3/2015 12:08pm
That's n great story! Smile . SmileSmile
Cygnus
2/3/2015 12:21pm
Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
Sandberm
2/3/2015 12:33pm
Thats cool.

Military culture isnt all that rosy of an environment and its pretty cool you two were able to spend some quality time together before he goes over to Korea for *GASP* a year.Sad

The Shop

Osaka627
2/3/2015 12:36pm
This is an awesome post! I just recently turned 25, and my Father is trying to get me back into racing. Sure does seem a lot funner now that it isn't looked upon as a job.
RPM68
2/3/2015 12:39pm
So my son was a decent rider in his day. He made Loretta's 4 times and raced with Anderson, Tomac, etc growing up. In 2010 he...
So my son was a decent rider in his day. He made Loretta's 4 times and raced with Anderson, Tomac, etc growing up. In 2010 he was doing the arenacross stuff, got a small injury (arm) and I pulled the plug for reasons not related to the injury.

He joined the army after high school and has been in now for 3.5 years. He came home from Afghanistan last June and was as expected a different person. He recently came home to Texas for a month before he heads to Korea for a year. I have a honda 250f I bought to fix and sell and he said hey dad can I take it to village to ride. I was like ya that's cool. He had a great time and I saw a spark of my old kid I thought got left behind in Afghanistan.

Fast forward a week, he rode everyday and said hey let's go to freestone to the first round of the winter series, I'm like sure why not. He ended up 9th overall in the 250 pro sport with 15 guys on the gate. It was fun being there just to have fun and hang out.

Anyway, I was reading jakes dad post about having fun and I was reflecting on my experience as well.

I was wondering what happened to him. Kid used to kill it, he was way above my level before he went to the Military.

Good hearing from you.

Give that kiddo a hug and tell him Thank you for his Service.
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 12:46pm
I'm already looking for a 450 for him. At 6'4 he's a tad big for a 250f haha. He's going to be stationed at fort Stewart I believe in Georgia when he gets back from Korea. I'm pretty sure he's going to ride for fun on the weekends. We are joking around about plus 25 A Loretta's 2019.
huck
2/3/2015 12:49pm
Awesome!
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 12:50pm
RPM68 wrote:
I was wondering what happened to him. Kid used to kill it, he was way above my level before he went to the Military. Good hearing...
I was wondering what happened to him. Kid used to kill it, he was way above my level before he went to the Military.

Good hearing from you.

Thanks man, it was a tough decision for me to sell it all and walk away. But as a parent trying to raise a human being and not just some kid chasing moto his whole life I had to pull the plug
rocrac
2/3/2015 12:53pm
Awesome post please thank him for his service. My previous LL moto kid just graduated from the Marines and is looking forward to the plus 25 class down the road.
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 12:54pm
rocrac wrote:
Awesome post please thank him for his service. My previous LL moto kid just graduated from the Marines and is looking forward to the plus 25...
Awesome post please thank him for his service. My previous LL moto kid just graduated from the Marines and is looking forward to the plus 25 class down the road.
Semper fi from a former Marine!!
RPM68
2/3/2015 1:03pm
RPM68 wrote:
I was wondering what happened to him. Kid used to kill it, he was way above my level before he went to the Military. Good hearing...

Good hearing from you.

Thanks man, it was a tough decision for me to sell it all and walk away. But as a parent trying to raise a human being...
Thanks man, it was a tough decision for me to sell it all and walk away. But as a parent trying to raise a human being and not just some kid chasing moto his whole life I had to pull the plug
http://vimeo.com/8292540

I remember watching this when he was doing AX.
MarkF
2/3/2015 1:12pm
Good for you guys. I was at that race with my son. He raced with your boy. I think maybe he was the young man they interviewed over the PA that day? Either way, its good to be at the races with your son just to have fun.
rocrac
2/3/2015 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 1:13pm
rocrac wrote:
Awesome post please thank him for his service. My previous LL moto kid just graduated from the Marines and is looking forward to the plus 25...
Semper Fi I knew of your son we quit full time about 2008
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 1:15pm
MarkF wrote:
Good for you guys. I was at that race with my son. He raced with your boy. I think maybe he was the young man they...
Good for you guys. I was at that race with my son. He raced with your boy. I think maybe he was the young man they interviewed over the PA that day? Either way, its good to be at the races with your son just to have fun.
Yes sir, that was him.
MarkF
2/3/2015 1:38pm
Seems like a real fine young man. I hope you guys can continue to moto together.
jleews6
2/3/2015 3:38pm
What a great little story. I can only imagine that feeling you must have had when he threw his leg over that bike.My son got hurt and walked away from it also and now he play rides once in a while. Nothing better then watching your kid ride.
Tell your boy we all said thanks for his service.
Crush
2/3/2015 3:42pm
That's fucking awesome!

2/3/2015 4:04pm
Thats alsome! Please tell your boy " thank u for his service" .im the son of a sargent major E9.
TeamGreen
2/3/2015 4:13pm
This is the best Moto-post I've read in here.

Ever.
Socia
Fantasy
2281st
2/3/2015 4:21pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Ever.
X2

To put it lightly, that's a win all the way around. Good to hear from y'all's camp! Hope 2015 brings more excellent memories to you both.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
2/3/2015 4:23pm
Awesome post! I went to Village for practice for the first time since 2006 last year when I got back into riding. I wasn't with my old man like I was in 2006 but I was with my wife and baby son. Sure did feel good (although my riding was pathetic).
captmoto
2/3/2015 4:24pm
No better way to decompress your son than moto. I hope you get the kid in him all the way back.
TeamGreen
2/3/2015 4:28pm
captmoto wrote:
No better way to decompress your son than moto. I hope you get the kid in him all the way back.
I can only hope and pray he has a safe-place to decompress.

"War is Hell" is Oxymoronic.

HELL is War.
In the ME.
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 4:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Ever.
Wow, those are big shoes to fill. Haha
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/3/2015 4:40pm
rocrac wrote:
Once a Marine, always a Marine, my man. Thank you for your service, too!
RangerLee
2/3/2015 5:28pm
One thing I always looked forward to when coming back was getting on my dirt bike. I feel the best way to get any sense of normalcy is to get back to something that was fun and innocent before.

I am very happy for you to have your son back. I actually did two different tours in Korea, he will have a good time there and the best part for you is he is non-deployable from the ROK as our forces there are on ready deployment for the whole tour. Depending on his MOS he may even be in a pretty kick ass Camp, hell even in Seoul if lucky enough.
ruckus
2/3/2015 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 5:42pm
Decent? He's gonna slap you for calling him decent. Ryan was, is, a stud on a dirt-cycle. Poor guy never fit the dirtbike either as a mini rider or 450. He's a giant and i'll never forget struggling to get a decent pic of him where his feet didnt look goofy.

But I dunno Hater, sure the Army changed him but a few weeks ago we got to ride together. He still made fun of me because i'm old, slow, and short. He still roosted me at every chance, he still tried to take my frontwheel out, and he still challenged me to a whip contest (now he's barking up wrong tree). Man, we laughed so hard that day. Some dude almost looped out on the uphill step up, panic-reved himself out of it. We all watched in horror yet couldnt help but laugh our asses off. Truth be told, lots of things have changed over the years. Riders have moved on, we lost several, work, life, etc.. .but for those couple hours at Village Creek it felt like the old days. For that i'll always remember Ryan for the impression he leaves and not what he does on a bike

Ryan in his mini days

Ryan destroying the sand at I35MX

Ryan on the cover of Holeshot Mag (Haters avatar)

Ryan and myself 3 weeks ago at Village Creek MX. No short jokes, the dude is huge!
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 6:36pm
RangerLee wrote:
One thing I always looked forward to when coming back was getting on my dirt bike. I feel the best way to get any sense of...
One thing I always looked forward to when coming back was getting on my dirt bike. I feel the best way to get any sense of normalcy is to get back to something that was fun and innocent before.

I am very happy for you to have your son back. I actually did two different tours in Korea, he will have a good time there and the best part for you is he is non-deployable from the ROK as our forces there are on ready deployment for the whole tour. Depending on his MOS he may even be in a pretty kick ass Camp, hell even in Seoul if lucky enough.
He's a chaplains assistant, and I pretty sure he said he was going to Seoul. I figure there's lots to see there

Post a reply to: First race in 5 years

The Latest