First job as a mechanic

seven11
Edited Date/Time 5/3/2013 10:59pm
I recently got offered a position as a tech for a ktm dealership. I've never worked in a shop before, but have plenty of experience in the garage. Any tips for an aspiring mechanic? They said I will need my own set of tools for breaking down/ rebuilding bikes. I really want to do a good job and learn as much as I can. Any input would be appreciated!
|
500guy
4/30/2013 2:07pm
seven11 wrote:
I recently got offered a position as a tech for a ktm dealership. I've never worked in a shop before, but have plenty of experience in...
I recently got offered a position as a tech for a ktm dealership. I've never worked in a shop before, but have plenty of experience in the garage. Any tips for an aspiring mechanic? They said I will need my own set of tools for breaking down/ rebuilding bikes. I really want to do a good job and learn as much as I can. Any input would be appreciated!
Show up on time ready to work , Be clean, Be ready to do what ever they ask.

if you don't know something ask, the only dumb question is a question not asked.

Don't let the dickwads get you down either.

You do all that and have half a brain you can't lose.

One more thing try not to take any personal time unless very necessary the 1st 90 days.
newmann
4/30/2013 2:11pm
500guy wrote:
Show up on time ready to work , Be clean, Be ready to do what ever they ask. if you don't know something ask, the only...

if you don't know something ask, the only dumb question is a question not asked.

One more thing try not to take any personal time unless very necessary the 1st 90 days.
Please read and understand what 500 Guy just told you. Couldn't have said it better. Be the good employee, they are scarce.
4/30/2013 2:17pm
I would say just get a very basic socket set and your basic tools u use in your garage. Once u start working u will quickly know what you need and don't need. I am a auto mechanic but a shop is a shop so basically be friendly and helpful to the journeymen expect a little bit of a hard time when u have a question. It's not that they don't like u it's that u have to try and fail sometimes to actually really learn. It can be intimidating for the first while even a few years as u really get experience and really for ever I got eight years five as a journeymen and I still get best by a car here or there. Also not sure if u are going to be test riding bikes but don't be an idiot.
seven11
4/30/2013 2:31pm
500guy wrote:
Show up on time ready to work , Be clean, Be ready to do what ever they ask. if you don't know something ask, the only...

Thanks for the tips guys. I am really excited about this opportunity. I'm working on getting my toolbox set up the next few days. Trying to decide on some used craftsman or snap on tools. I'll probably go with a cheaper basic set up until I learn exactly what I need. KTMs have some unique bolt sizes and I am familiar with the japanese bikes.

The Shop

seven11
4/30/2013 2:35pm
Also know of any links to websites that give advice on shop skills, how-to's, and tips and tricks?
mynewcr250
4/30/2013 2:35pm
if working at a bike dealer is anything like working at a car dealer, my advice is get out while you still can
seven11
4/30/2013 2:37pm
They are a dealer, but a majority of their business is in service/repairs. So it might be a little different than a car dealership. I don't believe I will be selling any bikes.
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
4/30/2013 2:39pm
mynewcr250 wrote:
if working at a bike dealer is anything like working at a car dealer, my advice is get out while you still can
LOL.

I'd agree with 500guy.
newmann
4/30/2013 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2013 2:46pm
Other than a few torx heads the KTM's don't require much more than your basic metric sets. They just use all the "Euro" sizes, 13's, 15,s...

If you are spending coin on Snap on wrenches and sockets, look for their flank drive sets. I like mine. Matco 1/4 inch drive ratchets spend a lot of time in the drawer waiting for the tool guy to have a rebuild kit. I like fine tooth ratchets...

Absolutely love these and you can find complete sets cheap at Sears. I bought a huge set of Metric and standards after Christmas for under $80.00. I have abused the ever loving shit out of them and never broken one. Even bent a 10mm one (damn near 45%!) using a cheater pipe and it still worked fine until it disappeared several years later. I have the flat ones without the reversible lever, just flip them over to go the other way. Less stuff to break, I like that.

newmann
4/30/2013 2:48pm
Best part about working on a KTM is the factory supplied tool kit will damn near rebuild the entire bike!Laughing
DrSweden
4/30/2013 3:28pm
Good info around here. Have to confirm what's already been stated here. Working ethics is crucial, people that are ambitious, hard working can go any place, rather than those with better skills with a poor attitude. I picture you will be working some extra hours in the beginning to compensate for lack of knowledge, only to be under normal hours after a month or so. I know shit about wrenching professionally, but I was impressed by the basic Craftsman stuff from Sears. Went from using Kamasa and Bacho tools in Europe. I picture you need to invest in some decent torque wrench, both a smaller up to 30 newton, and a bigger one upp to 100 newton. I went with the cheap one at Sears wich gave me good enough values from 0-120(?)

But those more expensive ones with clicks are easier to work with though, only issue is that I often forget to turn it to zero when I leave the garage with mich stretch the spring in the long run...
mjskier
4/30/2013 3:51pm
newmann wrote:
Best part about working on a KTM is the factory supplied tool kit will damn near rebuild the entire bike!Laughing
And they include a bottle opener. There was one in my 300 xc-w kit, and there is one on my 990 SMT!
Xeno
4/30/2013 3:56pm
For sure get a torque wrench.
Setting bolts at the proper torque is very important on motorcycles. Not only does it keep the bolt in place, if you over torque a bolt you can damage it and also it will make the motorcycle handle poorly- especially if you over torque the front end.

If someone tells you that you can "feel" the proper torque and skip the torque wrench- just know that experienced factory mechanics constantly use this tool without exception.

I use a trick that comes straight from the assembly line: After I set a bolt with the proper torque, I use a white paint pen and make a paint mark in the center of the bolt. This shows me which bolts need to be torqued. It really helps when you are building an entire bike because there are a lot of fasteners.
You will forget to tighten things from time to time- we all do. But this will help reduce the chances.

Bytor
4/30/2013 4:00pm
Couple more things to add. Use your camera phone or take a cheapy into take pictures of things for reassembly. I like to use beer flats for keeping parts in while waiting for reassembly. They are easily marked with a sharpie for where they go.
mynewcr250
4/30/2013 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2013 4:16pm
seven11 wrote:
They are a dealer, but a majority of their business is in service/repairs. So it might be a little different than a car dealership. I don't...
They are a dealer, but a majority of their business is in service/repairs. So it might be a little different than a car dealership. I don't believe I will be selling any bikes.
thats what i meant. i work in service at a dealership...it blows, but i guess its decent pay and if you can flag a decent amount of hours and dont leave a wheel loose, your job is pretty much guaranteed to be there for as long as youre willing to work.

job security and the potential to get paid for more hours than you actually put in are the only real benefits IMO.

are motocycle tech's paid flat rate?
Xeno
4/30/2013 4:21pm
Taking pictures is good.
But, if you use your phone for that please resist the urge to "check for messages" every 10 minutes.

What the heck is with people that can't stash their phone for a couple hours and focus on work?
Highsider
4/30/2013 4:30pm
30 years ago I hired a kid with basic bike wrenching skills.
When he attacked a new task, he took the shop manual and a pack of smokes into the crapper until he understood it.
mjw612
4/30/2013 5:01pm
I got some extra sets of open ends and sockets I can sell you for cheap from different tool boxes I've had and probably help with some questions. I worked for star yamaha in 07 until the end of 08 and then in a shop for a couple years. Gave it up for a business education through ASU but still work on friends stuff. But if you're interested let me know
lumpy790
5/1/2013 6:37pm
I have 20+ years spinning wrenches in a MC shop. ..... doing what you love makes a great job ... however.....its easy to get burnt out if you are still riding.

come in early and leave late.

Be a sponge .... willing to learn from other techs advise.

As for tools.....sears wrenches, 6 point socktet sets and screw drivers will get you going. Ait tools will help you work faster and faster (flat rate) is how you will start making a living spinning wrenches..Learn how to remove broken bolts.

Dont go crazy on the tool trucks.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
5/1/2013 6:54pm
Im not a professional mechanic. But what I would say is if you really love bikes work on them as if they are your own. Example if you have a bike apart take time to clean parts that would be hard for the owner to clean when the bikes together.
4stroke4DWIN
5/1/2013 10:28pm
Don't become a parts changer, learn what causes a part to fail. I have a MC shop in the east valley and one thing my customers like is that I can explain to them WHY there bike shit the bed. It may prevent another failure and take money from my pocket but I don't do it to get rich I do it because I'm my own boss and love what I do.

Also don't use an impact on anything lol. As far as tools I have built shit tons of bikes with a tool box full of Harbor Freight tools lol true story. Laughing
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
5/1/2013 11:05pm
Use the ten tool method, it will keep you more organized and neat. What the ten tool method is that you never have more than ten tools out of the box at one time, when you get more than ten, clean off and put away the extra tools. It will keep you from digging around the bench or lift and you don't need to dig through piles of dirty tools to find one you were just using. Also line up parts in order as you take them off and never put something on finger tight thinking you will tighten it later.
mynewcr250
5/1/2013 11:25pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Use the ten tool method, it will keep you more organized and neat. What the ten tool method is that you never have more than ten...
Use the ten tool method, it will keep you more organized and neat. What the ten tool method is that you never have more than ten tools out of the box at one time, when you get more than ten, clean off and put away the extra tools. It will keep you from digging around the bench or lift and you don't need to dig through piles of dirty tools to find one you were just using. Also line up parts in order as you take them off and never put something on finger tight thinking you will tighten it later.
good advice. i too only have the tools needed for each job in my cart and then they are put away and i start over for the next job with a clean slate.
5/2/2013 12:46am
I can't beleive I'd ever be agreeing with fatguy but he's spot on, along with all of the other good info above.

Get a decent tool box for the tools you already own, say a 6 draw (3 big and 3 smaller across on top of those), and fill it with the tools you already own. I started out with a steel container my uncle gave me that used to house a pump. You will have to purchase a few extras once your going but this size box will still be transportable to take home to work on your own bikes and for the other cashies you'll have to do on weekends to make ends meet, and for going racing.

And when you start, ask your employer if after the probationary period, and everybodies happy, about the possiblity they buy a full toolbox for you which you leave at work, and pay off each week and own after it's payed off. That way you have your good box at work with all the sweet time saving tools in a good roll cab box set up with multiple draws to wheel around, and a box at home when ever you need it.

Your also going to have to learn how to make a few "special tools" for certain jobs that are either too expensive for the amount of times you'll use them or cant be bought from the manufacturer for what ever reason. With Jap stuff anyway.
seven11
5/2/2013 12:11pm
Thanks everybody, I am compiling my tool box today. I got the call this morning and I start saturday. Some great advice on here, I really appreciate it. They work on all bike brands but mainly KTM and husky. They just got the ok to start selling KTM street bikes. Thanks again
Arkmx
5/2/2013 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2013 12:26pm
500guy wrote:

newmann wrote:
Please read and understand what 500 Guy just told you. Couldn't have said it better. Be the good employee, they are scarce.

What Jay, Newman and others have said!

By the way ... there is this guy most of you know as "Bones" (Pro Circuit), he moved from Tucson to SoCal in the early 80's to be a welder and racer. Hung out at a shop called Anaheim Husky on the weekends (JB liked to race the Husky 125 back in the day). He started pushing a broom around for Mitch back then and now look where his is today!

Bottom line... you never know what doors will open up with your new job!

Good luck and have fun!

JG.
newmann
5/2/2013 2:28pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Use the ten tool method, it will keep you more organized and neat. What the ten tool method is that you never have more than ten...
I should print this out and try it myself....Woohoo My tools are scattered and cart overfloweth.
BAMX
5/2/2013 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2013 2:53pm
Bytor wrote:
Couple more things to add. Use your camera phone or take a cheapy into take pictures of things for reassembly. I like to use beer flats...
Couple more things to add. Use your camera phone or take a cheapy into take pictures of things for reassembly. I like to use beer flats for keeping parts in while waiting for reassembly. They are easily marked with a sharpie for where they go.
This may be the best advice here. If you have a crappy camera on your phone buy a cheap normal digital camera. Buy the best tools that you can afford. Also, buy a digital torque wrench when you can. Also buy some good pullers etc. Don't be a hack who beats things apart or gouges cases scrapping off gaskets. They make tools to do the job easily and without destroying the thing. Keep your tools and work area clean. I would go so far as to say that you will need to clean a lot of stuff before you attempt to take it apart.
CamP
5/2/2013 3:34pm
lostboy819 wrote:
newmann wrote:
I should print this out and try it myself....Woohoo My tools are scattered and cart overfloweth.
My bench looks like a small explosion took place.
Daniel816
5/2/2013 4:34pm
Other than what has been stated, always keep ziplock bags and a sharpie in your box. They will help you keep things so much more organized. Its already been stated too, but be a sponge. If you find an experienced tech and you are caught up or have down time, ask if you can shadow them, don't be a roadblock to their work but ask questions. Some of your best learning will come from these guys! Good luck!

Post a reply to: First job as a mechanic

The Latest