First enduro race, any advice? (Update)

1/22/2020 4:29pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm racing my second TSCEC event this coming weekend. Haven't gotten to ride much over the last couple of years so it should be fun. My...
I'm racing my second TSCEC event this coming weekend. Haven't gotten to ride much over the last couple of years so it should be fun.

My advice I haven't seen in this thread is learn to relax when you're in open sections and areas that flow more through the trees. I always seem to tighten up when things get technical and I forget to release my muscles once I get through the technical stuff.

If you get to practice the terrain before you race it, learn the sections going into the woods. It seems like people always slow down WAY more than they need to. Just because there are trees or a blind corner coming doesn't mean you have to come to a crawl to enter the sections. Some sections you do, others you can fly through.
Red Canyon? We'll be there Friday night. We'll have 2 KTM's and 1 Husky TE 150. I'll be in a white Chevy with a topper, towing a flat bed trailer and we'll be staying with our friend in his Coleman camper towed by a Ford F250. Stop by if you see us.

1/22/2020 4:41pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm not trying to dismiss what you're doing, and I'm glad its working for you. But I've got to ask...what else did you change when you...
I'm not trying to dismiss what you're doing, and I'm glad its working for you.

But I've got to ask...what else did you change when you started this a few months ago?

So many people get on a special diet of some sort (Keto, Vegan, Intermittent fasting, whatever)...and completely change what they eat, how often and how long they exercise, or what type of exercising they do, their sleep habits, etc. and then claim it was the diet that is making all the difference in the world (they have more energy, losing weight, etc). When if they'd of just ate healthier, exercised more, exercised more effectively, got more sleep, etc they'd of gotten the same results without the hard core/extreme diet. (I'm just saying too many things seem to change when people start a new diet that its impossible to nail down which variable(s) is the cause of the positive health benefits...and the default is always the diet)

I'm sure there are exceptions...maybe you were already fit, and already ate healthy...and the intermittent fasting took you to the next level...

But everyone that I know that is on it and claim its the best thing ever...were/are over weight, ate like crap, never exercised...now exercise, and eat way healthier (with way less calorie intake)...and suddenly feel better, have more energy and are losing weight...and are giving the intermittent fasting all the credit...when in reality its just that they are eating healthier and exercising more and could have gotten the same results without starving themselves most of every day.

(Sorry for the thread derail, OP...)
In 2011, I was 180 lbs (I'm 5' 5") and couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. So, went on a "traditional" calorie limited diet and exercised a LOT. I rode my MTB, hiked with a pack every weekend, and so forth. I got down to 161 lb and could NOT break 160. From there on, I went back up to 165, in spite of dropping my caloric intake to 1200/day and spending up to an hour on the elliptical.

When I went on keto 3 years ago, I did it because I was seeing signs that suggested "pre-diabetic". Coffee would wipe me out, anything sugar would crash me into a 2-3 hour nap, I was grumpy, in a bad mood, and irritable. I decided to try keto for fun. W/in a week, I was in a great mood, quit taking naps, and... oh yeah... started losing weight. I watched 160 approach and slide by like it was nothing. Weight just kept coming off and my 6-packs started showing. The pelvic V was sharp-cut, and so forth. I"m not doing ANY additional exercise or weight or anything I wasn't already doing, and I'd been doing those things for YEARS. What's changed is keto got me completely off sugar and carbs (which are sugar, basically) . I stopped losing at 151 lbs which is the lightest I've been in nearly 35 years.

Three years later, I bop up and down a pound or two from 153, which is fine with me and I HAVE been doing strength exercises more for the past 2 years. I've gotten a lot of my leg muscle back, my overall muscle definition is damn good (according to people who see me), and my stamina is the best it's EVER been. I've gone from not being able to ride 1 full lap at speed to chasing my 16 year old around for an entire practice session and doing 60+ mile enduros back to back. My cholesterol risk factor has gone from "moderate risk" to the middle of "no risk". My attitude is 10,000x better and I never take naps. The difference is unbelievable to me.

I don't think keto is for everyone but it darn sure works good for me.

Titan1
1/22/2020 4:50pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm not trying to dismiss what you're doing, and I'm glad its working for you. But I've got to ask...what else did you change when you...
I'm not trying to dismiss what you're doing, and I'm glad its working for you.

But I've got to ask...what else did you change when you started this a few months ago?

So many people get on a special diet of some sort (Keto, Vegan, Intermittent fasting, whatever)...and completely change what they eat, how often and how long they exercise, or what type of exercising they do, their sleep habits, etc. and then claim it was the diet that is making all the difference in the world (they have more energy, losing weight, etc). When if they'd of just ate healthier, exercised more, exercised more effectively, got more sleep, etc they'd of gotten the same results without the hard core/extreme diet. (I'm just saying too many things seem to change when people start a new diet that its impossible to nail down which variable(s) is the cause of the positive health benefits...and the default is always the diet)

I'm sure there are exceptions...maybe you were already fit, and already ate healthy...and the intermittent fasting took you to the next level...

But everyone that I know that is on it and claim its the best thing ever...were/are over weight, ate like crap, never exercised...now exercise, and eat way healthier (with way less calorie intake)...and suddenly feel better, have more energy and are losing weight...and are giving the intermittent fasting all the credit...when in reality its just that they are eating healthier and exercising more and could have gotten the same results without starving themselves most of every day.

(Sorry for the thread derail, OP...)
In 2011, I was 180 lbs (I'm 5' 5") and couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. So, went on a "traditional" calorie limited diet and...
In 2011, I was 180 lbs (I'm 5' 5") and couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. So, went on a "traditional" calorie limited diet and exercised a LOT. I rode my MTB, hiked with a pack every weekend, and so forth. I got down to 161 lb and could NOT break 160. From there on, I went back up to 165, in spite of dropping my caloric intake to 1200/day and spending up to an hour on the elliptical.

When I went on keto 3 years ago, I did it because I was seeing signs that suggested "pre-diabetic". Coffee would wipe me out, anything sugar would crash me into a 2-3 hour nap, I was grumpy, in a bad mood, and irritable. I decided to try keto for fun. W/in a week, I was in a great mood, quit taking naps, and... oh yeah... started losing weight. I watched 160 approach and slide by like it was nothing. Weight just kept coming off and my 6-packs started showing. The pelvic V was sharp-cut, and so forth. I"m not doing ANY additional exercise or weight or anything I wasn't already doing, and I'd been doing those things for YEARS. What's changed is keto got me completely off sugar and carbs (which are sugar, basically) . I stopped losing at 151 lbs which is the lightest I've been in nearly 35 years.

Three years later, I bop up and down a pound or two from 153, which is fine with me and I HAVE been doing strength exercises more for the past 2 years. I've gotten a lot of my leg muscle back, my overall muscle definition is damn good (according to people who see me), and my stamina is the best it's EVER been. I've gone from not being able to ride 1 full lap at speed to chasing my 16 year old around for an entire practice session and doing 60+ mile enduros back to back. My cholesterol risk factor has gone from "moderate risk" to the middle of "no risk". My attitude is 10,000x better and I never take naps. The difference is unbelievable to me.

I don't think keto is for everyone but it darn sure works good for me.

Good for you! I’m glad it works for you.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
1/22/2020 5:42pm
How long are they ?
Time wise ,
And distance?
Do they run a loop.
Someone said 3 hours
And someone said after 10 miles, I'm not familiar with this type of racing , that seems crazy long to me.

The Shop

ktmdan
1/22/2020 6:59pm
ktmdan wrote:
Id be interested to hear more about what everyone eats on race day. I’m a faster A rider but I seem to have trouble with diet...
Id be interested to hear more about what everyone eats on race day. I’m a faster A rider but I seem to have trouble with diet on race day. I get nervous which causes me to eat too much because I worry that I won’t have enough energy. Then during the race occasionally my stomach cramps up.
Titan1 wrote:
Im far from an expert on diet and nutrition...and I’m a mid pack Vet A guy... and think everyone is a little different...but here is what...
Im far from an expert on diet and nutrition...and I’m a mid pack Vet A guy... and think everyone is a little different...but here is what works for me...

I like a big breakfast on race day with as many calories as I can get...eggs, pancakes, bacon, potatoes, cheese (everything) I try to time that about four hours before the race. Two hours later I’ll have a snack (a banana and usually a power bar Or protein bar something like that) then right before I head to the line I’ll eat a Turkey and cheese sandwich a banana and another power bar/protein bar. I know that if I get hungry during a race I’m toast and I’ll totally bonk (which is why I eat right before going to the line)...

My races usually start at noon...so big breakfast around 8:00...snack around 10...lunch right before I go to the line.

That doesn’t work for some people though.

Also, as for having enough energy...what you eat in the days leading up to race day are also important-carb loading. Google some pre-marathon meal plans and use some trial and error and see what works for your body. I’ve found that if I change up my diet to much, I don’t do as well...so I tend to just eat the same things I usually do...but I do it a little more structured. Sometimes I’ll skip breakfast...I don’t do that on a race week.. I’ll maybe switch it up a little and purposefully eat more carbs. There is a science to pre race diet planning...and I’m not a scientist though, but so far this is what works for me.

I know a lot of fast guys that eat a big spaghetti dinner the night before...oatmeal for breakfast...snack on the way to the line and they are good to go. That doesn’t work for me.

Trial and error...and stick with what works for you.
Interesting.
I don’t think I could eat a sandwich that close to race time. Typically I start the day with eggs on a tortilla with salsa. Then a banana and oatmeal with PB on the way to the track. Then I ride an hour of practice starting at noon. So between 1pm and my race at 3:30 I’m kinda clueless. Usually I get nervous and gorge myself with pasta or a sandwich and fruit and whatever I can get my hands on until 2:45 when I make myself stop eating.

ktmdan
1/22/2020 7:44pm
As far as advice goes,
If it’s a dead engine I would use the kick starter and not the button. I kick start the bike in 2nd and keep both feet low near the ground until it’s time to shift.
Stand up as much as possible in the woods.
DO NOT blow out the berms like you’re getting your photo taken at a mx track, this is incredibly ineficiente.
Often times if I look at my average mph versus the guy who beat me by a large margin, I am only one or so mph slower. I try to keep this in mind and keep momentum up just a little bit everywhere.

One thing I’ve learned more recently is to keep my cool after a big crash, especially one where the bike gets stuck in the vines or on the side of a cliff. Freaking out wastes a lot of energy and when you get going again you’ll still be flustered and likely to crash again.

Flow baby flow
Titan1
1/22/2020 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2020 7:58pm
Tarz483 wrote:
How long are they ? Time wise , And distance? Do they run a loop. Someone said 3 hours And someone said after 10 miles, I'm...
How long are they ?
Time wise ,
And distance?
Do they run a loop.
Someone said 3 hours
And someone said after 10 miles, I'm not familiar with this type of racing , that seems crazy long to me.
It depends on the type of race:

GP’s: usually a shorter loop (8-15 miles) that would usually include a moto track. And you’d race that for 1-3 hours.

Hare Scrambles: race a bit longer loop (15-30 miles). Doesn’t usually include a moto track. Race for 1-3 hours.

Hare and hound: are mileage based...usually 75-120 miles. Point to point (even though you start, pit, and finish in the same place-picture a figure 8...you’d never race the same trail twice). First one finished wins.

Enduro’s: a sent length of course with timed “special Test” that you race...transfer sections between the test have to be ridden but you aren’t racing. Lots of variation on these...and I’m less familiar with them.
Switch
1/22/2020 8:06pm
Just go have fun. You’ll learn more by experiencing it than you ever could by asking on here anyway.

When you’re first starting out at anything, results don’t matter but the memory/story does. You’ll be sitting with friends years from now saying “I remember my first Enduro, I...” and what place you finished won’t make a difference at all. Enjoy yourself and let us know how it goes!
devotid
Fantasy
500th
1/22/2020 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2020 10:42pm
- Always be looking as far down the trail as possible.
- DONT PUSH IT! Speed in the woods is a different animal that needs to be approached slowly or it will bite your ass.
- Lots of powder on your ass for the first few races.
- Dont forget to hydrate.
- Smile at the fans on the trail.... there will only be 3 of them.

- Last have FUN!

EDIT: Make friends with the people on your number and let them know its your first enduro. They will prob just say... "follow me". Dont be afraid to ask questions. Enduro family's are very approachable. Smile
KMC440
1/23/2020 6:35am
If yer not first yer last.

A ton of good info ... but as with everything moderation, you'll look like a taped up, granola bar pukin, pissin yerself twit on the line.
Spaghetti with a light red sauce the night before and wheat pancakes the morning of.
Bike prep bike prep bike prep! It doesn't have to be bullet proof because nobody should be shooting at you ... but when was the last time you looked at your cable ends, rim locks, nut and bolt everything.
Have fun.
IWreckALot
1/23/2020 8:42am
Red Canyon? We'll be there Friday night. We'll have 2 KTM's and 1 Husky TE 150. I'll be in a white Chevy with a topper, towing...
Red Canyon? We'll be there Friday night. We'll have 2 KTM's and 1 Husky TE 150. I'll be in a white Chevy with a topper, towing a flat bed trailer and we'll be staying with our friend in his Coleman camper towed by a Ford F250. Stop by if you see us.

That is the one. What line are you on? We are on line 14.

We rented a hotel room to stay in Saturday night and we'll be there Sunday morning. I'll cruise around and look for you if I have time. I'm on a YZ250 and we'll have a couple of KTM 300s and a KTM 350 with us. Black Tundra.

I guess you're cruising in from NM? We are coming from about 30 min west of Fort Worth.
1/23/2020 7:56pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That is the one. What line are you on? We are on line 14. We rented a hotel room to stay in Saturday night and we'll...
That is the one. What line are you on? We are on line 14.

We rented a hotel room to stay in Saturday night and we'll be there Sunday morning. I'll cruise around and look for you if I have time. I'm on a YZ250 and we'll have a couple of KTM 300s and a KTM 350 with us. Black Tundra.

I guess you're cruising in from NM? We are coming from about 30 min west of Fort Worth.
I don't know what line yet. I'm in 50+ SC so I usually in the 60's.
Teejay
Fantasy
974th
3/10/2020 2:11pm
Thought I’d do an update on this thread after my first race (8th March). Didn’t really know how the day would go as I haven’t raced anything since around 2005, so went at it with an open mind of just having some fun on my bike and if nothing else a bit of ride time. Was the first round of the series and on a sand based track, which suited me as I like riding sand. It was a 3 hour race split into 2x 1.5 hour heats with a break in between.
We were started in our groups around 30 seconds apart and we were the next to last group so the first couple of laps were a bit hectic with traffic and me trying to work out where’s I was supposed to be going! Plus my camelbak strap kept falling down so I was messing with that the whole time but got into a bit of a rhythm and really enjoyed it, went through the timing gate with a few minutes to go so ended up doing another lap. I absolutely loved it! Got back to the van and had a quick snack and shook my hands back to life then lined up again.
Went into the second heat a lot more relaxed and just tried to get my head down and click off some laps, the last half hour I was feeling it a bit but enjoying every minute. I had no idea where I had placed until I got home and looked on the online timing and I’d won my class! Ended up 40th overall on the day so I’ve requested to be moved up a class so I’ll see how I get on next time.
I’d recommend off road racing to anyone that wants value for money race time and a totally different atmosphere to the usual mx meeting. Can’t wait for the next one!
FWYT
3/10/2020 4:16pm
Fantastic! Glad you had a great time!
3/11/2020 8:37am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 8:43am
Good deal TeeJay!!!

I'll toss in my update, too. We did the Red Canyon enduro referenced above. On the starting line!!!!! we BOTH fouled spark plugs powered by our new Lectron carbs (which we'd tested a few times prior). Turns out that the BR9EIX plugs we're using seem very sensitive to fuel load on start-up. Both wet-fouled and once dried, ran fine. However, we dropped him to a BR8EG and me back to the stock plug. ANYWAY... in spite of starting 12 minutes late, my son won the 16-under Big Wheel class. I finished 7-8 in 50+ C.

Next race was last weekend in Kalgary TX, Lone Star Enduro. My goal for this year is to win 1 Test in my class, then win the day. Son's goal is to win the Overall C class and then win the Overall, Period. LOL..... On Day 1, he did in fact, win Overall C which means he also won his class (again). I finished 2nd in my class, losing 1st by a mere THREE seconds.

Next day, off we went again. Test 1 and 2 were good and it rained starting on Test 3, turning the trail into SLICK BROWN ICE. I crashed right off the start and busted my visor into pieces which is not fun when you're riding in the mud. But we soldered on and it turns out that I won my class in Test 1. So, YAY!!!!!, one goal accomplished. Son won his class again and lost the Overall C by ONE SECOND. I was happy because Day 1 and 2 showed me that I _can_ run up front. Just a little more here a little more there, I can do it. I learned about riding in the rain and how my goggle setup sucks for that... they fogged on the inside and then were useless.

Video:

Crashes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVhIiKcnk6o

Son on Day 1, Test 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPkPC7Mt1s

Me, on my winning Test, on my 58th birthday, BTW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4a1OliqPkE
Teejay
Fantasy
974th
3/11/2020 12:33pm
Great work! Sounds like a good father and son event even if there was a few setbacks. Well done to you both. My dad is hoping to do the over 60 class at a few rounds this year.

Post a reply to: First enduro race, any advice? (Update)

The Latest