First Snowbike ride! UPDATE: Video!

bh84
Fantasy
1761st
Edited Date/Time 2/8/2016 9:44am
Whats up Vitards?

We finally got our Demo unit built! 2016 KX450f with a 2moto Radix R2X kit! We're just breaking in the engine now and by the end of the day we'll be riding the thing!

I wanted to wait till after I rode it to post but I'll update once the boss makes me come back inside. So goddamn stoked right now!

UPDATE:

This thing is AWESOME! I can lay it over in a corner just like I would on dirt! The feeling is definitely different, but it is absolutely better than riding a sled all winter. One of those rides that just leaves a huge grin on your face. Doesn't rob much power either, definitely makes the 450 feel a little more tame though. My only complaint is the front gets darty in the ruts, but thats true of any machine with skis. pics to follow!

UPDATE:

Took her out to find some powder today! Had a blast until I was mid corner and found a log under the snow, big ole swap and landed on the bars, nursing a bruised sternum now.

Found some powder with the Radix! #2moto #radix #kx450f #LivingTheDream #TEAMLTD

A video posted by BenHodgson84 (@hodgson84) on Feb 7, 2016 at 2:39pm PST

|
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/5/2016 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2016 1:18pm
Second Impression:

Went out again real quick. dartiness goes away when you shift back and keep the throttle on, much more stable now that I'm used to it. Probably the most fun is finding a piece of powder, laying it over and cranking the throttle out in a wheelie. This thing is an absolute blast to ride!

Starcrossed
2/5/2016 1:20pm
How is the acceleration compared to a sled? Will it keep up with sleds on a groomed trail?
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/5/2016 1:29pm
How is the acceleration compared to a sled? Will it keep up with sleds on a groomed trail?
Easily, it absolutely flies! Man I had so much fun on this thing!
Joe Camel
2/5/2016 2:32pm
Those are kinda oldschool.
.Check out a timbersled ( Bought by Polaris after 13 years of building aftermarket stuff) or a Yeti.
There is a guy in Northridge with 4. They were out at Gorman one day and said after that they were going to Big Bear and then mammoth.

There is no comparison to a snowmobile.
Not even if the 4 stroke has a turbo and pushing 100 HP.

The Shop

2/5/2016 2:36pm
Joe Camel wrote:
Those are kinda oldschool. .Check out a timbersled ( Bought by Polaris after 13 years of building aftermarket stuff) or a Yeti. There is a guy...
.Check out a timbersled ( Bought by Polaris after 13 years of building aftermarket stuff) or a Yeti.
There is a guy in Northridge with 4. They were out at Gorman one day and said after that they were going to Big Bear and then mammoth.

Joe is right, those 2 moto are old school. They are actually crap in comparison to the timbersled kit. A new sled kit called Yeti is now making the Timber sled feel dated. The technology is growing fast in this sport.
motogeezer
2/5/2016 2:36pm
BRRRRRRR!

I mean BRAAAAPP!

No, actually, BRRRRR!
2/5/2016 2:56pm
I just picked up a timbersled. They won't hang with a 165+hp mountain sled in the steeps but get in to the tight trees and the fun meter is off the charts and there's not a sled in sight. Different tools for different jobs. They both have their place in the mountains. I've had an LT in 4 feet of fresh and the sleds were getting stuck all over, the timbersled just keeps chugging away.. Yeti is the ferrari of snowbiking carbon fiber, super light and $11,000+bike.
peelout
2/5/2016 2:59pm
i can't wait to ride one, the mountain up here has a new YZF450 with the Timbersled long-track on it, think i'll give it a rent one of these days.

that said... nothing compares to a mountain sled in deep powder
2/5/2016 4:11pm
I just picked up a timbersled. They won't hang with a 165+hp mountain sled in the steeps but get in to the tight trees and the...
I just picked up a timbersled. They won't hang with a 165+hp mountain sled in the steeps but get in to the tight trees and the fun meter is off the charts and there's not a sled in sight. Different tools for different jobs. They both have their place in the mountains. I've had an LT in 4 feet of fresh and the sleds were getting stuck all over, the timbersled just keeps chugging away.. Yeti is the ferrari of snowbiking carbon fiber, super light and $11,000+bike.
Yeti has come down in price a bit 8500-9100. Super expensive but everyone I know that had a timbersled has sold theres and traded up after riding one. They say if not anything at least buy the yeti front ski, its way better.
Joe Camel
2/5/2016 5:46pm
I just picked up a timbersled. They won't hang with a 165+hp mountain sled in the steeps but get in to the tight trees and the...
Just skip to 1:05.
A timbersled would never be able to do this unless behind a sled. They are good but not that good.

https://youtu.be/L-hxswrg7jo
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/6/2016 8:34am
You guys are thinking of the old Radix kits that didnt work as well. The new R2X kit is much better. I've been on Timbersleds, sure they float better but they dont feel anything like riding a dirtbike. thats where the 2moto setup is way better. Look how much more weight is placed on the forks because of how far back the TS's contact patch is. Unless you enjoy bottoming your forks constantly, they'll need to be revalved every winter. Yeti is the same way. too long out the back making it not even feel like a dirtbike any more.

On anything but steep climbs and snlow chugging through 4+ feet of powder, the Radix is way better than the TS or the Yeti
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/6/2016 8:43am
Joe Camel wrote:
Those are kinda oldschool. .Check out a timbersled ( Bought by Polaris after 13 years of building aftermarket stuff) or a Yeti. There is a guy...

A guy in northridge has 4? Wtf why? We don't get snow here! Lol. I was hoping to take my daughter up to Gorman/Frazier this weekend to play in the snow but I'm pretty sure it's all melted now. Did you see any pictures of Gorman after the rain a few days ago?
jeffro503
2/6/2016 8:48am
Joe Camel wrote:

JESUS!!.....That thing looks like a beast! Hate to get run over by that son of a bitch! But....looks super freakin' fun!
2/6/2016 10:45am
bh84 wrote:
You guys are thinking of the old Radix kits that didnt work as well. The new R2X kit is much better. I've been on Timbersleds, sure...
You guys are thinking of the old Radix kits that didnt work as well. The new R2X kit is much better. I've been on Timbersleds, sure they float better but they dont feel anything like riding a dirtbike. thats where the 2moto setup is way better. Look how much more weight is placed on the forks because of how far back the TS's contact patch is. Unless you enjoy bottoming your forks constantly, they'll need to be revalved every winter. Yeti is the same way. too long out the back making it not even feel like a dirtbike any more.

On anything but steep climbs and snlow chugging through 4+ feet of powder, the Radix is way better than the TS or the Yeti
Sorry dude, your out to lunch. R2x is not great at all. The yeti and timbersled will smoke it everywhere in every which way.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/6/2016 10:51am
bh84 wrote:
You guys are thinking of the old Radix kits that didnt work as well. The new R2X kit is much better. I've been on Timbersleds, sure...

Sorry dude, your out to lunch. R2x is not great at all. The yeti and timbersled will smoke it everywhere in every which way.
Lol, I've got a customer with the original Radix who rides with TS guys. the TS wont keep up on anything flat.
ak23
2/6/2016 11:01am
bh84 wrote:
Whats up Vitards? We finally got our Demo unit built! 2016 KX450f with a 2moto Radix R2X kit! We're just breaking in the engine now and...
Whats up Vitards?

We finally got our Demo unit built! 2016 KX450f with a 2moto Radix R2X kit! We're just breaking in the engine now and by the end of the day we'll be riding the thing!

I wanted to wait till after I rode it to post but I'll update once the boss makes me come back inside. So goddamn stoked right now!

UPDATE:

This thing is AWESOME! I can lay it over in a corner just like I would on dirt! The feeling is definitely different, but it is absolutely better than riding a sled all winter. One of those rides that just leaves a huge grin on your face. Doesn't rob much power either, definitely makes the 450 feel a little more tame though. My only complaint is the front gets darty in the ruts, but thats true of any machine with skis. pics to follow!

UPDATE:

Took her out to find some powder today! Had a blast until I was mid corner and found a log under the snow, big ole swap and landed on the bars, nursing a bruised sternum now.

Found some powder with the Radix! #2moto #radix #kx450f #LivingTheDream #TEAMLTD

A video posted by BenHodgson84 (@hodgson84) on Feb 7, 2016 at 2:39pm PST

where did u demo it - were looking to go try some
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/6/2016 11:04am
ak23 wrote:
where did u demo it - were looking to go try some
The one we Demo'd is at the dealership I work at in Red Deer, AB
ak23
2/6/2016 11:07am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2016 11:10am
ronnie renner - this will make u want one - they'r even starting to race them

https://youtu.be/D1c6W8xbF_s

2/6/2016 1:56pm
Joe Camel wrote:
Just skip to 1:05.
A timbersled would never be able to do this unless behind a sled. They are good but not that good.

https://youtu.be/L-hxswrg7jo
Cool vid, 99% of snowmobilers wouldn't be able to ride that even on the best machinery available with several years of experience, they wouldn't even consider that terrain lol. Just the fear of wrapping your $12k sled around a tree and causing thousands of dollars in damage would be enough to keep most sledders out of that.Or getting stuck and digging that beast out for hours. Chris Burandt is a legend sledder so comparing him on a $20,000+ exotic turbo sled really isn't a relevant comparison . Having said that I don't think a timbersled is a replacement for a mnt sled. They have completely different strong points. Which is why I have both mnt sled and timbersled. We have millions of acres of trees where I live and sleds can barely access a fraction of it. We cruise freely for miles upon miles through the forest(and all the hidden terrain contained in said forest)without seeing a track let a lone a soul. It's like going on a trail ride on a cloud with trees. You just point and shoot and go wherever the hell you want to go at speed as well. On a sled in the trees you are constantly jumping from one side of the sled to the other countering the terrain. On the bike you just lean and look where you want to go with minimal effort.You can't help but laugh and giggle a lot while riding. You're not constantly stressing about an exit or a route wide enough for your sled. It's easy, extremely fun and you don't have to worry about crashing into trees and causing thousands in damage, these are motocross bikes, you can throw them off a cliff and jump back on and ride home. The other sweet thing about timbersleds is that the learning curve is almost instant, especially for a capable motorcycle rider. On day two I was riding side hills that only most advanced veteran sled riders would consider. I cruise through gnarly steep treed side hills almost effortlessly and the learning curve is increasing every time I go. I am two years in on my sled and I couldn't go a lot of places I easily go on my timbersled. It's pretty common for advanced sled riders to bag on them, I've heard all the insults, I'm not sure why they are so critical of them....
2/6/2016 1:59pm
peelout wrote:
i can't wait to ride one, the mountain up here has a new YZF450 with the Timbersled long-track on it, think i'll give it a rent...
i can't wait to ride one, the mountain up here has a new YZF450 with the Timbersled long-track on it, think i'll give it a rent one of these days.

that said... nothing compares to a mountain sled in deep powder
You're gonna love it. When you ride one go in the trees after you get acquainted with it. It's the best trail ride you've ever had.
2/6/2016 2:05pm
I can't wait for the legality of bike vs sled to start happening.

In my area you can't ride a snowmobile, even on the shoulder, however a plated XR650 motorcycle is legal...which makes me curious how the law sees this kind of machines, with a license plate, lights, turn signal, etc.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/7/2016 4:29pm
Bump for video update
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/7/2016 4:45pm
And this is what my chest looks like now. Not gonna lie I'm pretty goddamn sore..

Joe Camel
2/7/2016 10:51pm
bh84 wrote:
And this is what my chest looks like now. Not gonna lie I'm pretty goddamn sore.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/07/123037/s1200_IMG_3210.jpg[/img]
And this is what my chest looks like now. Not gonna lie I'm pretty goddamn sore..

Reagan Sieg pretty much started the trend over 3 years ago.
Although he still goes huge on a sled he's pretty much pushing his Timbersled dealership.
Timbersleds been around since 2002.

https://youtu.be/2tYA5BJZ77k
2/8/2016 7:05am
Joe Camel wrote:
Reagan Sieg pretty much started the trend over 3 years ago. Although he still goes huge on a sled he's pretty much pushing his Timbersled dealership...
Reagan Sieg pretty much started the trend over 3 years ago.
Although he still goes huge on a sled he's pretty much pushing his Timbersled dealership.
Timbersleds been around since 2002.

https://youtu.be/2tYA5BJZ77k
Reagan Sieg does not own a Timbersled dealership, he's a Timbersled rep. He gets all his bikes from Riderz.ca
Joe Camel
2/8/2016 9:44am
Joe Camel wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
A guy in northridge has 4? Wtf why? We don't get snow here! Lol. I was hoping to take my daughter up to Gorman/Frazier this weekend...
A guy in northridge has 4? Wtf why? We don't get snow here! Lol. I was hoping to take my daughter up to Gorman/Frazier this weekend to play in the snow but I'm pretty sure it's all melted now. Did you see any pictures of Gorman after the rain a few days ago?
There is 13 feet of snow with 3 feet of fresh pow.
How much more do you think you need?

Post a reply to: First Snowbike ride! UPDATE: Video!

The Latest