First Paralyzed Person Treated With Stem Cells Regained His Upper Body Movement

VetMX.com
|
7/31/2019 9:09am
This is great news. Lets Let's hope this is the beginning of something amazing. I'd like to see what position the stem cell detractors would have if them or a member of their family was paralyzed.
Rdracer598
7/31/2019 10:04am
it would've been nice if they included more info about how long he'd been hurt instead of "when he was younger" Most of these treatments we hear about are done on new injuries.

Hopefully one day they'll have a cure for SCI. As someone who's living with a SCI for 15 years I don't care about walking, I'll take bowel and bladder function though

byke
7/31/2019 10:08am
Hasn't stem cell therapy been around for 20 pr 30 years? How can he be the first?

The Shop

ProKawi24
7/31/2019 10:12am
I was paralyzed back in 2001 chest-down, T4 - T9 burst fracture. I spent years doing physical therapy and trying every experimental treatment available to me. I even had Blue Shark stem cells injected into my spinal cord which actually worked so well I was able to gain partial control of my bowel/bladder but still no voluntary movement below the waist. Insurance wouldn't cover any of it and my family tapped every financial resource they had until everything dried up so we had to stop.

It's been almost 20 years, my chances are virtually zero to walk again but the future looks better and better for newly injured people. The best chances to regain feeling/movement is within the first 1-2 years after injury. After that, scar tissue around the cord builds up and greatly reduces any chance of recovery. I have a lot of faith in stem cells being the answer or leading to a full treatment, but probably won't be widespread in my lifetime. Someday far in the future, you can probably take a damn pill and boom...walking again lol.
Chopin
7/31/2019 6:10pm
Fucking SCI. As a parent who rides and has begun to share the passion with my 6-year-old son, it's god damn terrifying.
Anyone who's living with the day to day reality of SCI gets my complete respect and empathy.
8/1/2019 8:49am
That’s an old story, it was reposted. That was a year or two ago if I’m not mistaken. There have been some new interesting studies about a drug that can help heal the spinal cord that came out not too long ago by case western.

Now thanks to my SCI, my wife will never let my son get on a dirt bike. Sucks to see so many moto people get this injury.

Post a reply to: First Paralyzed Person Treated With Stem Cells Regained His Upper Body Movement

The Latest