First Impressions on the Alta Motors Redshift MXR

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2018 6:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2018 6:06 AM

https://www.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Bikes,6/Alta-Motors/RedShift-MXR,16178#product-reviews/818

Ahead of time apologies for the first few readers, I have an audio file that's supposed to go into more details which I should have fixed and in the article within the next 15-20 mins. There's two videos and the tech specs in the meantime in there.

We plan on having Chief Technical Office and Co-Founder Derek Dorresteyn on this next week for an official session of Forum QNA. so if you have any questions for him, get them ready.

|

3/2/2018 6:59 AM

Bike is so sick. I just bought a 2017 KTM 350 but in 4-5 years I'll definitely be back in the market and I'll be looking to Alta for sure.

|

3/2/2018 7:10 AM

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

|

3/2/2018 7:13 AM

I feel like you mentioned some things that are why i like my bike. The engine is so smooth and so broad i can get away with shifting only a couple times per lap. The brakes are so strong and handles so well it lets me focus more on myself and the track and less on the bike...

Sounds like the alta is even more that way. It would be a great bike for sure it sounds like.

|

3/2/2018 7:25 AM

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but this seems to be...aside from it's many other attributes, a great bike for practicing/riding in areas where neighbors are close enough to have issues with the noise from traditional bikes. Not everybody has the opportunity to ride on groomed private tracks away from pretty much everybody.

|

3/2/2018 7:57 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

Those are literally impossible standards

|

3/2/2018 8:09 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

If you ride in the desert keep your gas bike. It will be a long time before an electric is right for you. If you ride on 10 acres behind your house the bike is just about perfect now.

|

3/2/2018 8:21 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

zehn wrote:

Those are literally impossible standards

Then I won't be buying one any time soon then. I need 3 hours of range-at least...or the ability to change batteries very quickly before I could even consider one...at least as long as I'm still racing...when (if) I ever quit racing, I'd love to have one though.

|

3/2/2018 8:23 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

early wrote:

If you ride in the desert keep your gas bike. It will be a long time before an electric is right for you. If you ride on 10 acres behind your house the bike is just about perfect now.

As long as I'm racing, I'll be forced to keep my gas bike it sounds like. After that, I'd love to have a coal powered bike. I think they are awesome.

|

3/2/2018 8:23 AM

Is it available in HD legacy Orange & Black...yet?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/2/2018 8:35 AM

Audio player added below videos, it's about 45 minutes long with more thoughts on the bikes.

|

3/2/2018 12:21 PM

Bump

|

3/2/2018 12:28 PM

I think it is insanely impressive how good they are in a short time and the updates to the bikes and prices also.

Maybe dont include them in the 250f shootout but maybe have a mini shootout. Like winner of 250 and 450 vs electric with laptines and whatnot or something along the lines. I can see keeping it fully charged with your many test riders as a drawback in the full on shootout

|

3/2/2018 1:29 PM

If you haven't go watch and listen. The product and development are amazing to hear the behind the scenes strategies that went into it, and as we have come to expect from Michael, he shines in his analysis and investigative reporting. This is real journalism. Enjoy it.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

3/2/2018 2:25 PM

Hey ML512, if you owned one of these, would you put a rear brake lever in place of the missing clutch lever, to free up both feet? I can't help but think that that would be really beneficial.

|

3/2/2018 2:44 PM

KooyaKooya wrote:

Hey ML512, if you owned one of these, would you put a rear brake lever in place of the missing clutch lever, to free up both feet? I can't help but think that that would be really beneficial.

Originally they wanted to do that but I think they went away from it because it’s something that’s a lil hard for some to relearn. The lack of clutch and shifting for me are easy to get away from because you’re removing an aspect but moving a control for me would be hard. I’ve never adapated to it very well on a MTB for instance as I’m fine with both being up there but I’m not good at modulating the rear to get the best use out of it.

So for me personally, I’d never do it.

|

3/2/2018 5:37 PM

They should make a "track only" version of this bike that uses a small battery that is quick and easy to change out. That way you would have less weight to drag around on the track (maybe like 25lbs less if the battery was half the current size?), and a couple spare batteries on the charger back at the truck ready to swap over between motos.

|

3/2/2018 5:45 PM

The sound of the bike is so massively uninspiring it could win races without me on it and I would not buy one. Sorry. Thanks for the laugh. It would make a great backyard track bike if they can get the price under $999.

|

3/2/2018 6:02 PM

Frank wrote:

The sound of the bike is so massively uninspiring it could win races without me on it and I would not buy one. Sorry. Thanks for the laugh. It would make a great backyard track bike if they can get the price under $999.

Clearly you are very open minded and the target audience

|

3/2/2018 6:43 PM

KooyaKooya wrote:

They should make a "track only" version of this bike that uses a small battery that is quick and easy to change out. That way you would have less weight to drag around on the track (maybe like 25lbs less if the battery was half the current size?), and a couple spare batteries on the charger back at the truck ready to swap over between motos.

Yep, then, it would be 'old guy, slow guy, weekend warrior' friendly! That, and drop a few grand and it would sell like crazy.

|

3/2/2018 7:23 PM

I think we’re ready for an Alta Invitational - put a gate full of 40 of the top pros on all identical Altas and let em rip

|

3/2/2018 7:47 PM

Personally, I think these bikes are fantastic, although I've never seen one in the flesh here in Japan..so obviously haven't taken one for a ride.
Even being in the "big 4's" home territory, I believe there's a market share for Alta here, if the pricing is competitive and distribution is there.
In Japan, many live in the cities, in small apartments with busy lifestyles, usually with nowhere to maintain a combustion engine bike. With this literally maintenence free bike, it could solve some headaches some people experience...and the benefit of low noise could open up some potential riding spaces closer to the cities that otherwise would be impossible.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

3/2/2018 8:52 PM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

zehn wrote:

Those are literally impossible standards

Then it'll be impossible for me to justify getting one....not because it takes me 3 hours to burn through a tank of premix but because you also have to factor in recharging and that takes away from a good ride in the hills or even a long day of Moto. Where I could burn 2 tanks of gas theoretically but in order for me to be back out on the trail or track I'm down just long enough for the time it takes to pour the premises from my jug into the tank.

Plus I see a lot of guys talking about not having to shift or use the clutch which to me is part of the fun of being a skilled dirtbike rider .... For beginners just mastering the clutch and ESPECIALLY the shifting and shifting at the right points is a part the separates us from some random donkey that gets on the Alta and twists grip, sure they'll be outta control but my interpretation is that it takes away from the small things that are required to ride a dirtbike fast and as those almost subconscious actions are mastered you become a better rider..... I love manipulating the clutch to make the bike do things you can't really pull off without it like coming out of a tight corner and slipping the clutch just enough to drop the clutch right in the pocket of the jump which will load the bikes suspension similar to a seat bounce or give a little more "English" to your seat bounce giving you more pop to get over a jump. Also slightly slipping the clutch out of a corner that has a big hole from a blown out rut or something like that and just feathering it will let the suspension work a lot smoother to where I wouldn't even feel the same hole that was jackhammering my back without a little slippage.
Grabbing gears is also something I'll Always enjoy especially on a bike with some incredible power as it feels metaphorically like reloading a cannon and on a 125, tap dancing on the shifter if done correctly will always allow you to go faster.

For me these are things about riding a dirtbikes that some find annoying and an inconvenience but it all comes together making me feel good when I'm executing everything correctly and flowing around a track and it's especially important if you're a 2 stroke rider. FOR ME if you take away those aspects then regardless how much "fun" the Alta is, I'm not going to be having as much fun riding any dirtbikes. Don't get me wrong any time on 2 wheels is better than sex lol and losing these traits had a lot to do with why I didnt enjoy riding 4 strokes as well as the fundamentals got so much easier I was forgetting those basic things about maintaining speed and flowing rather than stop point and shoot.

It's kind of like 200 yard target practice with a rifle....they make a scope that adjusts for everything now and it's "smart" (I forgot the name of the scope or company) but basically you don't even have to aim and from 1000yards can hit the bullseye every time not even being sighted in with the cross hairs far from perfect and the scope adjusts for you so you're able to shoot perfect every time....what's the fun in that? It takes away the skill that separates a good marksman from Joe Flipper-Head that points the rifle in the vicinity of the target and nails it every time.

I hope some of my metaphors make sense as to why I don't think I'd ever truly enjoy an Alta enough to want to own one....I thrive on the difficulty of not only mastering riding the bike but also the small idiosyncrasies that come with the challenge of riding a dirtbike fast as my talent will allow me to go.

|

3/2/2018 9:03 PM

Thank you for that review. Did you notice a big difference with the AER48 forks rather than the older version?

|

3/2/2018 9:18 PM

Frank wrote:

The sound of the bike is so massively uninspiring it could win races without me on it and I would not buy one. Sorry. Thanks for the laugh. It would make a great backyard track bike if they can get the price under $999.

Photo

|

3/3/2018 5:26 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

zehn wrote:

Those are literally impossible standards

Lightning78 wrote:

Then it'll be impossible for me to justify getting one....not because it takes me 3 hours to burn through a tank of premix but because you also have to factor in recharging and that takes away from a good ride in the hills or even a long day of Moto. Where I could burn 2 tanks of gas theoretically but in order for me to be back out on the trail or track I'm down just long enough for the time it takes to pour the premises from my jug into the tank.

Plus I see a lot of guys talking about not having to shift or use the clutch which to me is part of the fun of being a skilled dirtbike rider .... For beginners just mastering the clutch and ESPECIALLY the shifting and shifting at the right points is a part the separates us from some random donkey that gets on the Alta and twists grip, sure they'll be outta control but my interpretation is that it takes away from the small things that are required to ride a dirtbike fast and as those almost subconscious actions are mastered you become a better rider..... I love manipulating the clutch to make the bike do things you can't really pull off without it like coming out of a tight corner and slipping the clutch just enough to drop the clutch right in the pocket of the jump which will load the bikes suspension similar to a seat bounce or give a little more "English" to your seat bounce giving you more pop to get over a jump. Also slightly slipping the clutch out of a corner that has a big hole from a blown out rut or something like that and just feathering it will let the suspension work a lot smoother to where I wouldn't even feel the same hole that was jackhammering my back without a little slippage.
Grabbing gears is also something I'll Always enjoy especially on a bike with some incredible power as it feels metaphorically like reloading a cannon and on a 125, tap dancing on the shifter if done correctly will always allow you to go faster.

For me these are things about riding a dirtbikes that some find annoying and an inconvenience but it all comes together making me feel good when I'm executing everything correctly and flowing around a track and it's especially important if you're a 2 stroke rider. FOR ME if you take away those aspects then regardless how much "fun" the Alta is, I'm not going to be having as much fun riding any dirtbikes. Don't get me wrong any time on 2 wheels is better than sex lol and losing these traits had a lot to do with why I didnt enjoy riding 4 strokes as well as the fundamentals got so much easier I was forgetting those basic things about maintaining speed and flowing rather than stop point and shoot.

It's kind of like 200 yard target practice with a rifle....they make a scope that adjusts for everything now and it's "smart" (I forgot the name of the scope or company) but basically you don't even have to aim and from 1000yards can hit the bullseye every time not even being sighted in with the cross hairs far from perfect and the scope adjusts for you so you're able to shoot perfect every time....what's the fun in that? It takes away the skill that separates a good marksman from Joe Flipper-Head that points the rifle in the vicinity of the target and nails it every time.

I hope some of my metaphors make sense as to why I don't think I'd ever truly enjoy an Alta enough to want to own one....I thrive on the difficulty of not only mastering riding the bike but also the small idiosyncrasies that come with the challenge of riding a dirtbike fast as my talent will allow me to go.

Now, go take a test ride on one and see if you still feel the same way. Would be interesting to get your feedback after the test ride.

|

3/3/2018 7:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2018 7:54 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

zehn wrote:

Those are literally impossible standards

Lightning78 wrote:

Then it'll be impossible for me to justify getting one....not because it takes me 3 hours to burn through a tank of premix but because you also have to factor in recharging and that takes away from a good ride in the hills or even a long day of Moto. Where I could burn 2 tanks of gas theoretically but in order for me to be back out on the trail or track I'm down just long enough for the time it takes to pour the premises from my jug into the tank.

Plus I see a lot of guys talking about not having to shift or use the clutch which to me is part of the fun of being a skilled dirtbike rider .... For beginners just mastering the clutch and ESPECIALLY the shifting and shifting at the right points is a part the separates us from some random donkey that gets on the Alta and twists grip, sure they'll be outta control but my interpretation is that it takes away from the small things that are required to ride a dirtbike fast and as those almost subconscious actions are mastered you become a better rider..... I love manipulating the clutch to make the bike do things you can't really pull off without it like coming out of a tight corner and slipping the clutch just enough to drop the clutch right in the pocket of the jump which will load the bikes suspension similar to a seat bounce or give a little more "English" to your seat bounce giving you more pop to get over a jump. Also slightly slipping the clutch out of a corner that has a big hole from a blown out rut or something like that and just feathering it will let the suspension work a lot smoother to where I wouldn't even feel the same hole that was jackhammering my back without a little slippage.
Grabbing gears is also something I'll Always enjoy especially on a bike with some incredible power as it feels metaphorically like reloading a cannon and on a 125, tap dancing on the shifter if done correctly will always allow you to go faster.

For me these are things about riding a dirtbikes that some find annoying and an inconvenience but it all comes together making me feel good when I'm executing everything correctly and flowing around a track and it's especially important if you're a 2 stroke rider. FOR ME if you take away those aspects then regardless how much "fun" the Alta is, I'm not going to be having as much fun riding any dirtbikes. Don't get me wrong any time on 2 wheels is better than sex lol and losing these traits had a lot to do with why I didnt enjoy riding 4 strokes as well as the fundamentals got so much easier I was forgetting those basic things about maintaining speed and flowing rather than stop point and shoot.

It's kind of like 200 yard target practice with a rifle....they make a scope that adjusts for everything now and it's "smart" (I forgot the name of the scope or company) but basically you don't even have to aim and from 1000yards can hit the bullseye every time not even being sighted in with the cross hairs far from perfect and the scope adjusts for you so you're able to shoot perfect every time....what's the fun in that? It takes away the skill that separates a good marksman from Joe Flipper-Head that points the rifle in the vicinity of the target and nails it every time.

I hope some of my metaphors make sense as to why I don't think I'd ever truly enjoy an Alta enough to want to own one....I thrive on the difficulty of not only mastering riding the bike but also the small idiosyncrasies that come with the challenge of riding a dirtbike fast as my talent will allow me to go.

I know how you feel. Calculators ruined everything, I love long hand math. smile

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

3/3/2018 7:48 AM

Titan1 wrote:

If they can get the range up to 3 hours, without sacrificing power and get the price of batteries down and easy to change (like under 5 minutes to change batteries). .I’d certainly consider one.

If they offered a cheaper KTM freeride type bike...Id consider one for a second bike just for playing around on.

zehn wrote:

Those are literally impossible standards

Lightning78 wrote:

Then it'll be impossible for me to justify getting one....not because it takes me 3 hours to burn through a tank of premix but because you also have to factor in recharging and that takes away from a good ride in the hills or even a long day of Moto. Where I could burn 2 tanks of gas theoretically but in order for me to be back out on the trail or track I'm down just long enough for the time it takes to pour the premises from my jug into the tank.

Plus I see a lot of guys talking about not having to shift or use the clutch which to me is part of the fun of being a skilled dirtbike rider .... For beginners just mastering the clutch and ESPECIALLY the shifting and shifting at the right points is a part the separates us from some random donkey that gets on the Alta and twists grip, sure they'll be outta control but my interpretation is that it takes away from the small things that are required to ride a dirtbike fast and as those almost subconscious actions are mastered you become a better rider..... I love manipulating the clutch to make the bike do things you can't really pull off without it like coming out of a tight corner and slipping the clutch just enough to drop the clutch right in the pocket of the jump which will load the bikes suspension similar to a seat bounce or give a little more "English" to your seat bounce giving you more pop to get over a jump. Also slightly slipping the clutch out of a corner that has a big hole from a blown out rut or something like that and just feathering it will let the suspension work a lot smoother to where I wouldn't even feel the same hole that was jackhammering my back without a little slippage.
Grabbing gears is also something I'll Always enjoy especially on a bike with some incredible power as it feels metaphorically like reloading a cannon and on a 125, tap dancing on the shifter if done correctly will always allow you to go faster.

For me these are things about riding a dirtbikes that some find annoying and an inconvenience but it all comes together making me feel good when I'm executing everything correctly and flowing around a track and it's especially important if you're a 2 stroke rider. FOR ME if you take away those aspects then regardless how much "fun" the Alta is, I'm not going to be having as much fun riding any dirtbikes. Don't get me wrong any time on 2 wheels is better than sex lol and losing these traits had a lot to do with why I didnt enjoy riding 4 strokes as well as the fundamentals got so much easier I was forgetting those basic things about maintaining speed and flowing rather than stop point and shoot.

It's kind of like 200 yard target practice with a rifle....they make a scope that adjusts for everything now and it's "smart" (I forgot the name of the scope or company) but basically you don't even have to aim and from 1000yards can hit the bullseye every time not even being sighted in with the cross hairs far from perfect and the scope adjusts for you so you're able to shoot perfect every time....what's the fun in that? It takes away the skill that separates a good marksman from Joe Flipper-Head that points the rifle in the vicinity of the target and nails it every time.

I hope some of my metaphors make sense as to why I don't think I'd ever truly enjoy an Alta enough to want to own one....I thrive on the difficulty of not only mastering riding the bike but also the small idiosyncrasies that come with the challenge of riding a dirtbike fast as my talent will allow me to go.

I don't know about the clutch argument. I barely touch my clutch on my 450 and the the lessons I have been taking have been teaching to use momentum instead of relaying on the clutch and it has made me a smoother rider and I get less tired.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

3/3/2018 9:59 AM

I would love to have Alta in my garage if they ever start to import them to Finland and the price is reasonable

|