First Impressions of the KTM 350sxf

RCC104
8/20/2010 8:06am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:40am
* I posted this in another topic, but I figured I start a new thread for it. *

Bike: KTM 350SXF
Rider: 24 years old. 6'1", 185lbs.. B Level rider.
Recent Bikes: '06 YZ450f, '08 YZ250f, and '02 YZ250 (totally rebuild and new Race Tech suspension)

First Impressions:

- Very Comfortable! At 6'1" the thing fits me great pegs to seat. Roomier than my YZFs. I did get rid of the stock bars first thing though (way to low for me), and moved the bar mounts up to the 3rd farthest forward position in the clamps to open it up even more.

- Handling wise, the thing turns like it's on rails. Flat turns, sandy berms, ruts... none were problems at all. Point and go. And this is on stock tires that I'm not a huge fan of to start with. It feels pretty light to me. Very close to how my 250f felt. Definitely not the tank of a bike my 450 was. I'll be interested to see how it handles on hard pack.

- The Suspension has been okay for now (just riding in whooped out sand as I have), but I feel I'm going to need some stiffer springs soon. As the suspension has broken-in, It's starting feeling pretty darn soft over some of the smaller jumps I've had to hit. All-in-all, it's alright though, nothing has happened to scare me as far as bucking, headshake, etc.

- To get an idea of what the power's like, I've been on my '06 YZ450F, '08 YZ250F, and my father's '02 YZ250 (2 stroke). So far, I'm of the opinion that the 350SXF is closest to the power of the 250 2-stroke actually, only with that 4-stroke torque. It's very a fun engine! It pulls and pulls. It reminded me a lot of the 2001 CR250 engine that I loved actually. The gearing is off a touch though. I'll be adding a tooth to the rear. Going from 2nd to 3rd was a little bit of an issue for it.

- Electric start is amazing, but I still have a habit of reaching down for the non-existing kick-start.

As, I get more time on the bike and tracks under my belt, I'll post up a better review later on. As of right now, however, I feeling like I'm going to be pretty happy with this bike.

|
P
8/20/2010 8:20am
Great report dude!

Do you feel that you will de able to compete with the 450's?

P
jndmx
8/20/2010 8:24am
Nice report man.

I am kind of curious as to why they don't have a kick starter on there as a back up though.
RCC104
8/20/2010 8:27am
I think I'll be just fine against 450's.

I'm not going to be racing against people who can actually use all the power of a 450 like in the Pros. My laps were normally faster on my 250f than my 450f, too. The thing that always hurt me on the 250f was the starts though. Something tells me this isn't going to be a problem on the 350. This thing has some speed.

The Shop

ab5772
8/20/2010 8:32am
jndmx wrote:
Nice report man.

I am kind of curious as to why they don't have a kick starter on there as a back up though.
Kick start is available as an add-on.
500guy
8/20/2010 8:39am
Good report

Thanks and have fun
P
8/20/2010 8:49am
RCC104 wrote:
I think I'll be just fine against 450's. I'm not going to be racing against people who can actually use all the power of a 450...
I think I'll be just fine against 450's.

I'm not going to be racing against people who can actually use all the power of a 450 like in the Pros. My laps were normally faster on my 250f than my 450f, too. The thing that always hurt me on the 250f was the starts though. Something tells me this isn't going to be a problem on the 350. This thing has some speed.
Cool. Keep us posted on how thing progress with the bike.

P
8/20/2010 8:54am
P wrote:
Great report dude!

Do you feel that you will de able to compete with the 450's?

P
Unless you are riding with high-level pros, one doesn't need to worry about the power discrepancies a 350 has compared to a 450... I'd actually go so far as to say that around the local track the 350 would be a much more competitive bike than the 450s for the above mentioned reason, in addition to it being lighter, more nimble, etc...

It would never happen, but if I were to get froggy and buy another bike to start riding on, I'd get the KTM 350, or a YZ125.
lumpy790
8/20/2010 11:20am
Did any of you get what MXA said about the 350? Goldylocks and going to jail....think about it? Made zero sence to me.
RCC104
8/20/2010 11:51am
lumpy790 wrote:
Did any of you get what MXA said about the 350? Goldylocks and going to jail....think about it? Made zero sence to me.
I saw that too. I'm not totally sure.

It's a shot in the dark..... but i think what they were saying is even though Goldylocks found that bowl (bike) that's just right, she's still going to be spending some time working things out in prison (fixing little problems with the bike), for taking the risk of breaking and entering (buying a totally new unproven model)

Thats my take... but I haven't seen problems yet really so i don't know haha
adamdf
8/20/2010 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2010 12:05pm
lumpy790 wrote:
RCC104 wrote:
I saw that too. I'm not totally sure. It's a shot in the dark..... but i think what they were saying is even though Goldylocks found...
I saw that too. I'm not totally sure.

It's a shot in the dark..... but i think what they were saying is even though Goldylocks found that bowl (bike) that's just right, she's still going to be spending some time working things out in prison (fixing little problems with the bike), for taking the risk of breaking and entering (buying a totally new unproven model)

Thats my take... but I haven't seen problems yet really so i don't know haha
RCC104, improving our bikes is unfortunately a disease all of us motocrossers have and will always have, i won't worry about a thing..as for MXA? Well they can afford almost any mod so they will try just about anything, and that great, because thats their job....at some point we have to learn to be content and realistic with what we got, and take some of the mags with a grain of salt, even though i do appreciate their work, it used to be a constant struggle to go out and try everything a magazine said to try as a kid growing up, but now that im older (25), im pretty much over it...

Great review by the way! I am sure on hard packed you are going to be much happier with the 350 over a traction robbing 450..
Kinetic1
8/20/2010 12:23pm
It's a girls bike. Why would anyone want LESS power? Bunch of damn sissies.Whistling

Glad you are liking your bike. From what MXA said and what you have said it is apparently a great crossover/option.
Tim507
8/20/2010 1:06pm
RCC104 is absolutely correct...this bike is loads of fun. yes I am an old guy but I have been riding for years at all levels and offroad and MX. This bike is a hoot, fun, handles well, revs to the moon in each gear. Yes it does feel like a 2 stroke with much more torque. One or two teeth should help with the hit a bit, I will get that done this weekend

I have about 2 hours on mine. Moved the bars foward, put on Pro Moto Low Boy Pegs (I am 5' 9" but have a 34" inseam) and that made the bike more comfortable for me. Bike turns great and steers from the rear also very easily. Feels very light and nimble under power

Really this is the best mistress I have ever had I dare say
8/20/2010 2:59pm
RCC104 wrote:
* I posted this in another topic, but I figured I start a new thread for it. * Bike: KTM 350SXF Rider: 24 years old. 6'1"...
* I posted this in another topic, but I figured I start a new thread for it. *

Bike: KTM 350SXF
Rider: 24 years old. 6'1", 185lbs.. B Level rider.
Recent Bikes: '06 YZ450f, '08 YZ250f, and '02 YZ250 (totally rebuild and new Race Tech suspension)

First Impressions:

- Very Comfortable! At 6'1" the thing fits me great pegs to seat. Roomier than my YZFs. I did get rid of the stock bars first thing though (way to low for me), and moved the bar mounts up to the 3rd farthest forward position in the clamps to open it up even more.

- Handling wise, the thing turns like it's on rails. Flat turns, sandy berms, ruts... none were problems at all. Point and go. And this is on stock tires that I'm not a huge fan of to start with. It feels pretty light to me. Very close to how my 250f felt. Definitely not the tank of a bike my 450 was. I'll be interested to see how it handles on hard pack.

- The Suspension has been okay for now (just riding in whooped out sand as I have), but I feel I'm going to need some stiffer springs soon. As the suspension has broken-in, It's starting feeling pretty darn soft over some of the smaller jumps I've had to hit. All-in-all, it's alright though, nothing has happened to scare me as far as bucking, headshake, etc.

- To get an idea of what the power's like, I've been on my '06 YZ450F, '08 YZ250F, and my father's '02 YZ250 (2 stroke). So far, I'm of the opinion that the 350SXF is closest to the power of the 250 2-stroke actually, only with that 4-stroke torque. It's very a fun engine! It pulls and pulls. It reminded me a lot of the 2001 CR250 engine that I loved actually. The gearing is off a touch though. I'll be adding a tooth to the rear. Going from 2nd to 3rd was a little bit of an issue for it.

- Electric start is amazing, but I still have a habit of reaching down for the non-existing kick-start.

As, I get more time on the bike and tracks under my belt, I'll post up a better review later on. As of right now, however, I feeling like I'm going to be pretty happy with this bike.

This was a GREAT post! I wish more people would put up reviews like this!
Preset
8/20/2010 3:26pm
jndmx wrote:
Nice report man.

ab5772 wrote:
Kick start is available as an add-on.
Kick start available as an add on?
I can't imagine buying a bike and then adding a kickstart as an accessory Pinch
oldx
8/20/2010 3:33pm
Good report, thanks.

Post a reply to: First Impressions of the KTM 350sxf

The Latest