First Gate Drop On My Alta Redshift MXR

9/5/2018 9:24am
magoo1982 wrote:
Nice report , always like to learn something new. ?? On starts, do you hold brake on while gassin it, then let brake go sort of...
Nice report , always like to learn something new. ?? On starts, do you hold brake on while gassin it, then let brake go sort of like when drag racin an auto trans car .. Is there room to put ice paks around battery when charging ??
Starts are really no different than a normal gas bike, except you don't have to worry about the clutch. So instead of feathering the clutch to partially engage it and "preload" it, you are just using your throttle hand to preload up the rear tire just shy of it spinning, and then you release the brake and wack the throttle. The advantage on starts is that you don't have to worry about stalling the bike off the line and you dont have to worry about shifting down the start straight. Its literally just twist and go. You have all the power you need right on tap from 0 mph.

Regarding cooling the battery, i suppose you could put ice packs around the battery. I think the easiest, and probably more effective, is to have a mister fan aimed at the battery. I'll probably end up getting something like this for 80$ from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-Cove-18-Volt-Two-Speed-Misting-Bucke…

crockett
9/5/2018 10:28am
Cycle News has a 1st look test on the Alta Dual Sport from last week, pg. 94: https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/1019648-cycle-news-issue-34-august-28 VitalMX's ML512 also rode one and did a...
Cycle News has a 1st look test on the Alta Dual Sport from last week, pg. 94:

https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/1019648-cycle-news-issue-34-august-28

VitalMX's ML512 also rode one and did a video/review, but I can't turn it up in a search?
Here's VitalMX's video on the EXR: https://youtu.be/GDoLd6WAX90 And the MX + MXR: https://youtu.be/2-Ca5gNPbhk
Here's VitalMX's video on the EXR:

https://youtu.be/GDoLd6WAX90

And the MX + MXR:

https://youtu.be/2-Ca5gNPbhk

Don't think it was covered in the video.
Does the enduro bike have a different drive ratio for higher speeds?
Or is it all done in mapping.
Does mx bike and endure bike have same top speeds
9/5/2018 11:09am
crockett wrote:
Don't think it was covered in the video. Does the enduro bike have a different drive ratio for higher speeds? Or is it all done in...
Don't think it was covered in the video.
Does the enduro bike have a different drive ratio for higher speeds?
Or is it all done in mapping.
Does mx bike and endure bike have same top speeds
The EX and EXR use a 13/53 setup. The MX and MXR use a 12/53 setup.
Zoom
9/5/2018 11:53am
Starts are a lmost like cheating. I have 6 gate drops on my Alta. 6 holeshots and 4 moto wins.

The Shop

wacker
9/5/2018 1:55pm
magoo1982 wrote:
Nice report , always like to learn something new. ?? On starts, do you hold brake on while gassin it, then let brake go sort of...
Nice report , always like to learn something new. ?? On starts, do you hold brake on while gassin it, then let brake go sort of like when drag racin an auto trans car .. Is there room to put ice paks around battery when charging ??
Starts are really no different than a normal gas bike, except you don't have to worry about the clutch. So instead of feathering the clutch to...
Starts are really no different than a normal gas bike, except you don't have to worry about the clutch. So instead of feathering the clutch to partially engage it and "preload" it, you are just using your throttle hand to preload up the rear tire just shy of it spinning, and then you release the brake and wack the throttle. The advantage on starts is that you don't have to worry about stalling the bike off the line and you dont have to worry about shifting down the start straight. Its literally just twist and go. You have all the power you need right on tap from 0 mph.

Regarding cooling the battery, i suppose you could put ice packs around the battery. I think the easiest, and probably more effective, is to have a mister fan aimed at the battery. I'll probably end up getting something like this for 80$ from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-Cove-18-Volt-Two-Speed-Misting-Bucke…

Apparently the Alta engineers use spray bottles with alcohol in them to help cool the batteries. I don't know the actual science behind it but the alcohol is supposed to help dissipate the heat quicker, from what I heard.
9/5/2018 2:39pm
wacker wrote:
Apparently the Alta engineers use spray bottles with alcohol in them to help cool the batteries. I don't know the actual science behind it but the...
Apparently the Alta engineers use spray bottles with alcohol in them to help cool the batteries. I don't know the actual science behind it but the alcohol is supposed to help dissipate the heat quicker, from what I heard.
Its probably an antifreeze mixture to allow cooling the liquid below the freezing point of water. Straight alcohol is actually worse than straight water in terms of heat dissipation.
MX752
9/5/2018 5:24pm
Its probably an antifreeze mixture to allow cooling the liquid below the freezing point of water. Straight alcohol is actually worse than straight water in terms...
Its probably an antifreeze mixture to allow cooling the liquid below the freezing point of water. Straight alcohol is actually worse than straight water in terms of heat dissipation.
These bikes look so fun! If they are spraying the battery with alcohol it is because alcohol evaporates more readily, it soaks up energy faster than water and will cool the battery more quickly. The battery is essentially sweating while the bike sits on the stand.
9/5/2018 7:36pm
Its probably an antifreeze mixture to allow cooling the liquid below the freezing point of water. Straight alcohol is actually worse than straight water in terms...
What? LOL

Your scenario is true in a radiator where convection is the main form of heat transfer. Here, the alcohol is added to enhance the evaporative cooling properties of the liquid to remove heat.
9/5/2018 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 7:52pm
What? LOL Your scenario is true in a radiator where convection is the main form of heat transfer. Here, the alcohol is added to enhance the...
What? LOL

Your scenario is true in a radiator where convection is the main form of heat transfer. Here, the alcohol is added to enhance the evaporative cooling properties of the liquid to remove heat.
Ahhh yes, you're correct. I was thinking of a closed loop system like a liquid cooler for a computer. Its the quick evaporation rate of the alcohol that allows it to carry more heat away faster from the source. Cheerful
wacker
9/5/2018 7:59pm
What? LOL Your scenario is true in a radiator where convection is the main form of heat transfer. Here, the alcohol is added to enhance the...
What? LOL

Ahhh yes, you're correct. I was thinking of a closed loop system like a liquid cooler for a computer. Its the quick evaporation rate of the...
Ahhh yes, you're correct. I was thinking of a closed loop system like a liquid cooler for a computer. Its the quick evaporation rate of the alcohol that allows it to carry more heat away faster from the source. Cheerful
I figured there had to be some science behind it. Never was explained to me and I never really looked into it but thought I would pass it on. I assumed they had a pretty good reason. Makes sense. Thanks soopah.
9/5/2018 9:16pm
Moto96 wrote:
I have one extra filter which is drying while the other is in use, clutches last me a year or two easy. Oil changes for the...
I have one extra filter which is drying while the other is in use, clutches last me a year or two easy. Oil changes for the trans costs 2 bucks and takes a few minutes.
I have no valve adjustments, and top ends last me a few years( I bought a compression tester I can use on anything)

Exhausts are no where near 1,000 bucks. I can buy 3 whole systems for 1,000 bucks.
Full of shit post of the week. Mega downvote.
honda341 wrote:
I have a '13 CRF 450 that I ride a decent amount. I have never had to change clutches on any of my 450s, never done...
I have a '13 CRF 450 that I ride a decent amount. I have never had to change clutches on any of my 450s, never done valves on it and it still starts fine and have not done a top end on it. Other than 3 full exhaust systems for $1,000, I'd say it is a pretty accurate post.
Some people are hard on clutches and some people aren't, some people are hard on the rev limiter and some people aren't, some people do maintenance at every chance and some let it roll and hope for the best. You being one or the other doesn't make it a bull shit post.
See where the bull shit is at is in the “three exhausts” statement. That leads one to believe he’s riding a two stroke. Tops ends a few years- suuuuuure if you put 5 hours on a bike in a year? But if that’s the case why even bother with the compression tester, and why even bring it up? That’s so extremely low in hours it shouldn’t even be in the conversation.

Also, I use the absolute cheapest oil (Valvine synthetic ATF+4) I can find at Menards (Home Depot style joint for out of USA readers) for $4.45 a liter. Sure it only sees 45 minutes to an hour in the bike, so point me to the alleged $2 a liter oil. P.s. Wal-Mart Super Tech doesn’t count.

Still stand behind my call of bull shit.
BobbyM
9/5/2018 10:35pm
Bearuno wrote:
Well, what noises do most mainstream, truly popular sports make? Bat on Ball, Racket or Club, Boot on Ball, Bodies thumping into each other, grunts or...
Well, what noises do most mainstream, truly popular sports make? Bat on Ball, Racket or Club, Boot on Ball, Bodies thumping into each other, grunts or squeals while serving or grappling with each other, and on and on. Without crowd noises, most sports are deathly quiet.

A whole bunch of E Bikes will make a damned sight more noise that most other passe' sports.
Solution

honda341
9/6/2018 6:56am
See where the bull shit is at is in the “three exhausts” statement. That leads one to believe he’s riding a two stroke. Tops ends a...
See where the bull shit is at is in the “three exhausts” statement. That leads one to believe he’s riding a two stroke. Tops ends a few years- suuuuuure if you put 5 hours on a bike in a year? But if that’s the case why even bother with the compression tester, and why even bring it up? That’s so extremely low in hours it shouldn’t even be in the conversation.

Also, I use the absolute cheapest oil (Valvine synthetic ATF+4) I can find at Menards (Home Depot style joint for out of USA readers) for $4.45 a liter. Sure it only sees 45 minutes to an hour in the bike, so point me to the alleged $2 a liter oil. P.s. Wal-Mart Super Tech doesn’t count.

Still stand behind my call of bull shit.
Change the top end 5-10 hours? Another manual thumping "rider" huh? Have fun with all your bike maintenance.

Post a reply to: First Gate Drop On My Alta Redshift MXR

The Latest