First Gate Drop On My Alta Redshift MXR

Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 6:56am
Had my first gate drop yesterday on the Alta RedShift MXR. Thought some of you might be interested.

Raced the 450 Novice class at Fox (Pala) Raceway on the Amateur track. Still need to work on starts with this bike as i'm not launching out of the gate hard enough. Once i figure it out, though, this bike is going to help me pull so many holeshots. I think 2 stroke open was in this race, too. Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/os51kslVN64?rel=0

My feedback after racing it yesterday:
- The AER48 fork works pretty well in stock trim. I'm 185lbs naked and was running 155psi.
- The stock shock is very under damped in the stock configuration. It's like Alta took the shock off a KTM 450 SXF and slapped on a much stiffer spring without accomodating the valving. I had to run the rebound damping all the way turned in, in order to help stop the pogo'ing effect of the rear end. I'll definitely be getting this shock massaged to suit me better.
- The front brembo brake works fantastically, even for this 258lb bike.
- The rear brake is a light switch in stock configuration - Its either all or nothing. Locks up way too easily. I'll be adding a Fasst return spring to add some resistance to the level to help mitigate that.
- The ergonomics of this bike are awesome. The seat is very flat and you can really shift your body forward and aft with quite ease. The shape of the shrouds allows you to comfortably get that inside leg forward and tight inside. There is ample surface area to grip the bike with your legs.
- This bike being so quiet is actually an advantage to you as the rider in a race situation. On one end you can sneak up on guys and they have no idea. On the other end it allows you to precisely locate riders behind you using your hearing. There is also a small effect where its difficult for riders behind you to gauge when you get on the power. You'll find yourself having to yell (as you hear me doing in the video) at the rider in front of you at times to let them know you are there.
- I feel like i'm able to rider harder longer on this bike compared to my 450 and 125. I attribute that to the smooth power, lack of need to shift or use the clutch, and also the bike being so quiet (i find loud engine sounds "clog" my brain after a while).
- Each race used about 30-40% battery in Map 4. I have the rapid charger and a 3200watt 240v generator that i use to recharge it between motos. It's important to keep the battery cool when charging it so often and rapidly like i was. Some guys use a misting fan aimed at the battery. I was simply squirting water on it out of a water bottle periodically. I'll probably go the mist fan route with a bucket of water soon.
|
VicDaMoan03
9/2/2018 7:35am
Very cool thanks for the race report. You spoke of the advantage - are there any disadvantages you picked up during the race?
VRR7
9/2/2018 7:55am
Very cool thanks for the race report. You spoke of the advantage - are there any disadvantages you picked up during the race?
MSRP
Ted722
9/2/2018 8:07am
Nice report and good job out there. About how many hours/rides did you have on it before the video? What made you pull the trigger to get one? Did you test ride one?
yz133rider
9/2/2018 8:15am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 8:16am
VRR7 wrote:
MSRP
Zero filters to buy, zero clutches to burn thru, no oil changes every 5hrs of riding, no valve adjustments, no top ends every 40-100hrs no coolant to change, no $1000 exhaust to bend/replace, ....etc

The cost levels out aftet a season or two i bet...

The Shop

RangerLee
9/2/2018 8:40am
VRR7 wrote:
MSRP
yz133rider wrote:
Zero filters to buy, zero clutches to burn thru, no oil changes every 5hrs of riding, no valve adjustments, no top ends every 40-100hrs no coolant...
Zero filters to buy, zero clutches to burn thru, no oil changes every 5hrs of riding, no valve adjustments, no top ends every 40-100hrs no coolant to change, no $1000 exhaust to bend/replace, ....etc

Shit man, I think the cost levels out at one season, I also look at what my time is worth, not just the cost of materials. The time doing all the work for the things you mentioned is time you could be doing other things.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
9/2/2018 8:49am
I don’t understand why anyone is downvoting this. Great info and report. You’re a good rider. Nice pass around the outside on the leader. Seems like it’s easier to be smooth and controlled rather than stabby clutch slamming on the throttle.
ga_pike
9/2/2018 8:51am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 8:51am
Misting fan or spraying water to keep the battery cool bothers me just a little bit. We all know electricity and water don't mix. I think I would need to find another solution... chilled air or something... but it's prolly safe since it's a dirt bike it's ridden in the elements.

Nice post, very informative... thanks
9/2/2018 9:01am
I think you are asking about any general disadvantages of an electric bike in a race situation. The only thing i can think of is the lack of noise aspect. I had a few cases where guys were cross jumping me but they probably had no idea i was there. Or maybe they were just dirty riders Grinning
9/2/2018 9:04am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 9:07am
Ted722 wrote:
Nice report and good job out there. About how many hours/rides did you have on it before the video? What made you pull the trigger to...
Nice report and good job out there. About how many hours/rides did you have on it before the video? What made you pull the trigger to get one? Did you test ride one?
About a month ago Poway Powersport brought their demo bike out just for me to ride, so i got about 40 minutes of riding time back to back with my KX450. It was awesome to be able to compare the bikes so directly like that. I bought my MXR last Monday and went riding Friday, where i put about an hour of ride time on the bike, mainly trying to dial in the suspension. Then raced it yesterday.

I pulled the trigger on one because i was in the market for a new bike and the lack of maintenance (and this is coming from me being super anal about the maintenance on my bikes) and quiet nature of the bike sold me. I'm already suffering from tinnitus in my right ear from riding motorcycles all my life, and I'm only 31, and i use ear plugs when i ride. No longer necessary on the Alta. I don't own property yet, but if i did there would be no question which bike to get. This is seriously the best bike to have it you have property or a private track and dont want to disturb anyone.
9/2/2018 9:17am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 9:29am
ga_pike wrote:
Misting fan or spraying water to keep the battery cool bothers me just a little bit. We all know electricity and water don't mix. I think...
Misting fan or spraying water to keep the battery cool bothers me just a little bit. We all know electricity and water don't mix. I think I would need to find another solution... chilled air or something... but it's prolly safe since it's a dirt bike it's ridden in the elements.

Nice post, very informative... thanks
Most of the components on the bike are IP67 rated. No need to worry about water + electronics.

And cooling the battery is only something you'd need to think about if its hot out and you are racing multiple motos during the day and are charging it multiple times throughout the day.

Here's a vid of a few alta's riding through a shallow pond with no issues:
https://www.facebook.com/altamotorsusa/videos/1170912369653697/
9/2/2018 9:28am
Best way to cook anything down is spray with water and run a fan at same time. Sum bitch will be cool in no time.
Doddy
9/2/2018 9:31am
Sometimes you guys have me thinking I clicked the electric bike sub forum.
9/2/2018 9:45am
Doddy wrote:
Sometimes you guys have me thinking I clicked the electric bike sub forum.
Help me understand your comment. Just because it's a different type of propulsion means it should be segregated from the general motocross page? Did you have that same opinion when 4 strokes weeded out 2 strokes? To each his own, but I appreciate the new technology and think it will be more prominent in the future.
9/2/2018 10:47am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 10:48am
Thanks for the review! Love reading ride/race reports on the electric bikes.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
9/2/2018 12:52pm
Nice report and great ride.Would love to own one
Moto96
9/2/2018 12:58pm
yz133rider wrote:
Zero filters to buy, zero clutches to burn thru, no oil changes every 5hrs of riding, no valve adjustments, no top ends every 40-100hrs no coolant...

I have one extra filter which is drying while the other is in use, clutches last me a year or two easy. Oil changes for the trans costs 2 bucks and takes a few minutes.
I have no valve adjustments, and top ends last me a few years( I bought a compression tester I can use on anything)

Exhausts are no where near 1,000 bucks. I can buy 3 whole systems for 1,000 bucks.
cpyz300
9/2/2018 1:12pm
Awesome video, love seeing altas up front
sandman768
9/2/2018 1:42pm
Nice job! I can see the lack of noise be an issue when racing....a lot of passes are made from the pressure of a revving engine or panic revs...other than that....I may have to demo one of these bikes....has MXA ever done a test on the Alta?
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/2/2018 1:49pm
Nice review! And I actually saw you there yesterday riding this.
crowe176
9/2/2018 2:19pm
Riding so much you have hearing loss, and still racing Novice? Sandbagger!!!

downard254
9/3/2018 3:58am
Can you imagine SX when it goes full electric. The crowd will be louder than the bikes. The announcer will no longer be yelling his race call, he’ll just be just be talking the call in a calm voice.

In all seriousness I think the electric bike for professional racing will need some kind of noise making device added for both fan appeal and rider safety concerning rider proximity .
Bearuno
9/3/2018 4:44am
Well, what noises do most mainstream, truly popular sports make? Bat on Ball, Racket or Club, Boot on Ball, Bodies thumping into each other, grunts or squeals while serving or grappling with each other, and on and on. Without crowd noises, most sports are deathly quiet.

A whole bunch of E Bikes will make a damned sight more noise that most other passe' sports.
JMX82
9/3/2018 5:16am
I would actually prefer silent E-bikes over four stroke sound...
9/3/2018 5:41am
Moto96 wrote:
I have one extra filter which is drying while the other is in use, clutches last me a year or two easy. Oil changes for the...
I have one extra filter which is drying while the other is in use, clutches last me a year or two easy. Oil changes for the trans costs 2 bucks and takes a few minutes.
I have no valve adjustments, and top ends last me a few years( I bought a compression tester I can use on anything)

Exhausts are no where near 1,000 bucks. I can buy 3 whole systems for 1,000 bucks.
Full of shit post of the week. Mega downvote.
downard254
9/3/2018 5:50am
Bearuno wrote:
Well, what noises do most mainstream, truly popular sports make? Bat on Ball, Racket or Club, Boot on Ball, Bodies thumping into each other, grunts or...
Well, what noises do most mainstream, truly popular sports make? Bat on Ball, Racket or Club, Boot on Ball, Bodies thumping into each other, grunts or squeals while serving or grappling with each other, and on and on. Without crowd noises, most sports are deathly quiet.

A whole bunch of E Bikes will make a damned sight more noise that most other passe' sports.
Yes, but I don’t watch ball and stick sports. I like Motorsports where there is supposed to be some sound.
H4L
9/3/2018 7:52am
Full of shit post of the week. Mega downvote.
I think he's talking about a 2t.
factoryfatty
9/3/2018 8:00am
It's going to be weird when these things take over and the race is quiet and then the pits are loud with everyone cranking up there 220v generators haha

Post a reply to: First Gate Drop On My Alta Redshift MXR

The Latest