First Ever Kawasaki - KX450 What do I need to know?

Tim507
1/21/2021 8:22am
ElliotB16 wrote:
Bar mounts, lower chain roller, tighten every bolt, they seem to work loose bad. Don’t get a FMF exhaust. Read up on the 1000 page thread...
Bar mounts, lower chain roller, tighten every bolt, they seem to work loose bad. Don’t get a FMF exhaust.

Read up on the 1000 page thread on here
haggs151 wrote:
Hey man, new to the page. What’s the beef with fmf exhausts? Thanks!
kNewc wrote:
Yea I was thinking of getting one for my KX250. From what I've heard if you want more on bottom and top go for FMF if...
Yea I was thinking of getting one for my KX250. From what I've heard if you want more on bottom and top go for FMF if you want more top end get Pro Circuit. Although I believe Keefer said he got a bit more lower end on the Pro Circuit as well.
Keefer suggested for the 450 a FMF can and the SX Header
1/21/2021 8:26am
haggs151 wrote:
Hey man, new to the page. What’s the beef with fmf exhausts? Thanks!
kNewc wrote:
Yea I was thinking of getting one for my KX250. From what I've heard if you want more on bottom and top go for FMF if...
Yea I was thinking of getting one for my KX250. From what I've heard if you want more on bottom and top go for FMF if you want more top end get Pro Circuit. Although I believe Keefer said he got a bit more lower end on the Pro Circuit as well.
Tim507 wrote:
Keefer suggested for the 450 a FMF can and the SX Header
Whichever exhaust you choose, just make sure it is rubber mounted to prevent damaging the can or the subframe on the bike.
Spudnut
1/21/2021 9:01am
Lots of bikes coming out of power lately!! Congrats
1/21/2021 9:11am
SCAM124 wrote:
Hey Tim. If you don't have a thread insert kit already, go get some. M6 especially. I've had all brands and for some reason, Kawasaki has...
Hey Tim. If you don't have a thread insert kit already, go get some. M6 especially.
I've had all brands and for some reason, Kawasaki has the worst fasteners (specifically the female side) in the business.
The larger (M8 and up) stuff seems ok on the bikes.

I’ve only lost a single bolt (a front fender bolt that I’ve honestly never checked) in the year I’ve owned the bike. I also have never...
I’ve only lost a single bolt (a front fender bolt that I’ve honestly never checked) in the year I’ve owned the bike. I also have never bunged up a thread on my bike, either. I torque everything to spec every time I screw in a nut or bolt, so I suppose this helps keep things from rattling off. If you’re constantly losing hardware or damaging threads, that sounds like user error to me.
SCAM124 wrote:
Congrats on not having any issues. Thats a good thing! Not saying I've never stripped a bolt on my bikes before but on my MY16 bike...
Congrats on not having any issues. Thats a good thing!

Not saying I've never stripped a bolt on my bikes before but on my MY16 bike I had 4 fasteners that were buggered from the OEM. Couple on the body panels, couple elsewhere. All M6's. One of the fuel tank inserts I had to spin out because the bolt was cross-threaded from new.

My MY11 bike had a couple also that just weren't quite right from the OEM.

Just my observations, perhaps its a sample size of one situation but I have other folks that echo similar issues with green machines.

Tim507 was looking for advise. Thought I'd chime in.
I love Kawis. Have owned and do own more than any other make. Their hardware sucks

The Shop

Moto520
1/21/2021 9:26am
Just don't overtighten! Get stiffer front fork springs. Make sure to rubber mount any aftermarket exhaust system OR beef up the sub-frame muffler mounting bracket. Cut a couple of threads off the rear brake plunger so that you can lower the rear brake a little more than allowed stock. Grease it and run it. 95 hours with only a broken sub-frame. No mechanical issues. She's been every bit as reliable as my YZ450F.
crc245
1/30/2021 9:36pm
planter wrote:
Can you elaborate on this: [i]throw the white coupler into the holeshot/EFI indicator plug if you want to clear up bar space by removing the entire...
Can you elaborate on this:

throw the white coupler into the holeshot/EFI indicator plug if you want to clear up bar space by removing the entire system

I am one of the rare riders that actually like the OEM bar with crossbar, but would like to free ups some space for handquards. What have others done beyond moving the switches to where their no longer easily accessible.
Sorry for the delay, but here's a photo to illustrate:

You simply remove the entire indicator light/start map selector and its' accompanying lead, replace with the OE white mapping coupler. Cleans up the bars so just the kill switch (left-side) and starter (right) take up bar space...

Post a reply to: First Ever Kawasaki - KX450 What do I need to know?

The Latest