First Dirtbike For Kids

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2019 8:50 AM

My son will be 4 in May and I'm looking to get him started on a bike. How old were you when you got your first bike or one for your kids? any recommendations on what to start out on? looking at some 50cc bikes with training wheels currently.

|

1/15/2019 8:55 AM

You need a Yamaha PW50. Can easily put training wheels on those. The bikes are bulletproof and easy to learn on for the kids. Both my girls learned how to ride on a Pee-Dub. But both started on a strider bike first to get balance down. Then after learning how to use the throttle and brakes on the PW, off come the training wheels. Easy peasy.

|

1/15/2019 8:56 AM

Get him a Strider bike. No training wheels. Then a PW50 or a KTM mini adventure if you can find one.

Mine started on a strider at 18 months old and rode his first dirt bike at 4, no training wheels needed.

Hammer 663s

|

1/15/2019 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 9:01 AM

Grimace wrote:

You need a Yamaha PW50. Can easily put training wheels on those. The bikes are bulletproof and easy to learn on for the kids. Both my girls learned how to ride on a Pee-Dub. But both started on a strider bike first to get balance down. Then after learning how to use the throttle and brakes on the PW, off come the training wheels. Easy peasy.

what he said but without the training wheels for us too. my son was 4 when he started on a dirt bike. Strider to pedal bike to dirt bike. He had to be able to ride his pedal bike and brake before he could ride a dirt bike.

|

1/15/2019 9:04 AM

Where do you intend to Ride? Is there land he can learn on? Is racing or riding at a track a goal? If it’s just to play ride, is noise an issue? There are lots of options just depends what you/ he want out of it and how far you want to take it

|

1/15/2019 9:06 AM

Pedal bike first, once they can start, stop, turn, skid, then PW50. No training wheels on anything with a motor. Just my $.02.

|

1/15/2019 9:06 AM

I’ll throw a Stacyc in there. Nice transition between a Strider and a PW50.

|

1/15/2019 9:09 AM

This.

Photo

/ thread closed

|

1/15/2019 9:10 AM

These are dirt cheap and quiet for bombing around the yard. We had one and rode the shit out of it.
Photo

I paid $279' at Wal mart for it.

|

1/15/2019 9:10 AM

cjmx wrote:

what he said but without the training wheels for us too. my son was 4 when he started on a dirt bike. Strider to pedal bike to dirt bike. He had to be able to ride his pedal bike and brake before he could ride a dirt bike.

Funny, mine went from a strider right to a mini Adventure. Didn't learn to ride a pedal bike until he was 6. Never had training wheels on anything - they are a crutch. He figured out brakes real quick. smile

|

1/15/2019 9:13 AM

kaitlyne wrote:

My son will be 4 in May and I'm looking to get him started on a bike. How old were you when you got your first bike or one for your kids? any recommendations on what to start out on? looking at some 50cc bikes with training wheels currently.

I got my son a Yamaha TTR50 with training wheels at 4, perfect bike, awesome to learn on. Super reliable and electric start.

|

1/15/2019 9:14 AM

p3fab wrote:

Where do you intend to Ride? Is there land he can learn on? Is racing or riding at a track a goal? If it’s just to play ride, is noise an issue? There are lots of options just depends what you/ he want out of it and how far you want to take it

11 acres in the middle of Michigan, no noise concerns, can build a little track. Hopefully racing if he is interested. (fingers crossed)

|

1/15/2019 9:17 AM

push bike (strider/etc) -> to pedal bike -> electric bike (or skip straight to PW50), no need for training wheels on any of those steps

|

1/15/2019 9:22 AM

A PW, JR or CRF50 are good choices I would steer clear of a TTR with Electric start the only way to start is with a battery. If you get the attention of a 4yr old and the battery is dead you lost your window of opportunity.

|

1/15/2019 9:29 AM

kaitlyne wrote:

PW50 for sure. Bought one for my son at 4 as well. We tried training wheels initially but he didn't like them so we took them off and he was riding around pretty comfortably within minutes. If your son is able to ride a pedal bike well I think he'll be able to jump right on without the training wheels.

We have a stacyc electric bike as well(bought a year after owning the PW), but he prefers the PW.

A couple of his friends have also tried the PW, and every kid that has tried it has preferred it over alternatives, i.e. CRF50, KTM50, etc...

|

1/15/2019 9:33 AM

p3fab wrote:

kaitlyne wrote:

11 acres in the middle of Michigan, no noise concerns, can build a little track. Hopefully racing if he is interested. (fingers crossed)

everyone has their opinion but both my kids were specifically told "no training wheels" Kids start to count on them and they teach bad habits that you have to unbreak later. Stacyc would be a great starting point if he cant already ride a bicycle. Both mine were on bicycles with no training wheels by 3.5 years old. They learn VERY quickly!

|

1/15/2019 11:21 AM

As popular as the CRF and TTR50's are, the dang things are way too heavy for a little kid to pick up. The PW50, JR50 and maybe KTM's old JR Adventure (it's taller than the other two) are great first real motorcycles.

If you're going to to training wheels, just buy a quad to begin with.

|

1/15/2019 11:31 AM

Just skip all the nonsense above. He’s 4 years old and should be about ready for a PW 50.

|

1/15/2019 12:04 PM

I started at 2 1/2 on a PW50. Bought my 2yo son a PW50 last July. He loves to ride it with training wheels. They will come off once he starts getting it and learns some control. So maybe 6 months or so.

You can't go wrong with a PW50. Buy a used one, have him ride it for a year or 2 and sell it for the same amount you paid for it.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/15/2019 12:07 PM

The training wheels probably aren’t the best idea. Bike will be totally different with them off and might not transition well.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/15/2019 1:00 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

The training wheels probably aren’t the best idea. Bike will be totally different with them off and might not transition well.

I can only speak from my sons experience. He was riding with training wheels (very slowly) at 2.5 years. Took them off at 4 and he had absolutely no issues. The minute I took them off he was ripping around with no issues.

|

1/15/2019 1:03 PM

i'm thinking of getting my girls an electric one, such as an oset. Idea being if i go mountain biking she can come with me but on the electric bike, then have a crossover period on a PW....Then Roberts your mothers brother! smile

|

1/15/2019 1:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 1:06 PM

im gonna go Stryder—Stacyc—bicycle—pw50 or electric ktm/husky for my daughter.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/15/2019 1:26 PM

My son started out on the Strider at 1 1/2, Oset 12.5 at 2 1/2, bicycle when he was almost 3 and then a PW50 when he was 3. The Strider to electric was an awesome transition and he never had a need for training wheels on the dirt bike or bikes. The Stacyc came out about a year after we bought the Oset, but looks to be a nice alternative.

|

1/15/2019 1:29 PM

I agree that he should be able to ride a bicycle first. I also agree (from experience) that putting training wheels on a minibike is a bad idea--don't do it.

PW50 is the best starter--that's what my 12 year old started on when he was 4.

BUT, I couldn't find a good used one this Christmas, and instead bought my grandkids a used Suzuki JR50. I think it is just as good a starter as the PW50, and has some advantages (rear brake pedal like a big bike, etc.). Both of my grandkids rode it on Christmas on their first attempts.

Consider using a tie-down strap on the rear frame loop as a big leash that you anchor so you can slow down and stop the little fellow if he's heading toward the house or a vehicle. It will give you good exercise, but the kid won't need it after 3 or 4 rides. Mom will feel better also, and will probably put a video on FB you can be proud of!

|

1/15/2019 1:34 PM

I started my son on the Suzuki 50 with training wheels at 3 1/2. They were off within a month. 2 seasons back I bought my grandson a Honda CRF50 at 4 1/2. He already had seat time on a bicycle without training wheels, so he took to the Honda very quickly.

Both were great choices, and have good resale value. You are about to find out how quickly kids outgrow things, so be prepared for a step up within a season.

There's nothing better than chasing my grandson around the lawn on one of my other dirtbikes. It's a memory we'll both cherish. Good luck!

|

1/16/2019 8:28 AM

I think this was my daughter's 2nd or 3rd ride. She is all geared up now. There isn't much that compares to seeing your little one braap off on their own. The JR50 is an excellent choice but are rare to find. PW50 are much more accessible. Good luck!

|

1/16/2019 10:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2019 10:08 AM

bonseff wrote:

I think this was my daughter's 2nd or 3rd ride. She is all geared up now. There isn't much that compares to seeing your little one braap off on their own. The JR50 is an excellent choice but are rare to find. PW50 are much more accessible. Good luck!

Man, that's awesome. Hearing the sound of that JR50 brings back a lot of memories of chasing my son around 20 years ago. Enjoy every second of this because you'll blink & she'll be graduating from High School

Those JR50's go pretty good too once you pull the restrictor washer out of the header. I would tool around the old neighborhood on it myself.

|

1/16/2019 10:23 AM

Neverclear wrote:

Man, that's awesome. Hearing the sound of that JR50 brings back a lot of memories of chasing my son around 20 years ago. Enjoy every second of this because you'll blink & she'll be graduating from High School

Those JR50's go pretty good too once you pull the restrictor washer out of the header. I would tool around the old neighborhood on it myself.

Thank you, sir! I found an 86 JR50 on craigslist when she was about three and i picked it up and rebuilt it. Was a perfect starter bike! Luckily for us the wife was on board.

|

1/16/2019 1:23 PM

Stacyc then PW50 with no training wheels.

|