Fingers on the clutch or lack there of for the pro's

Related:
Create New Tag

11/30/2018 6:09 AM

I have been watching some of the video's of the pro's on the test tracks and most of them don't have a finger or fingers on the clutch all that much especially the vid with Malcom. I grew riding two strokes and a finger on the clutch is what was taught to me at a G.Bailey school. Since riding four strokes for the last 10 yrs i still keep a finger on the clutch but don't use the clutch all that much because of the torque. Still can't break the habit. Just hoping an old dog can learn new tricks to have the most efficient riding position as possible.

|

11/30/2018 6:35 AM

Four strokes allow it

If you can learn to corner and accelerate without the clutch - you will be faster
People often flick the clutch on accleration thinking its faster to get the rpm pick up but you loose acceleration in that time and actually loose time

Corners without using it improves entry and roll speed -

Im a believer in always covering it like bailey says for safety and the occasional big screw up - but learning to go without it is important

On a 2 stroke I still believe it must be used to advantage in key situations. However the recent mxa videos of nearly every two stroke are how you shouldnt ride a bike.

|

11/30/2018 6:43 AM

On my 450 I only use the clutch for power control. Having a finger on it 24/7 doesnt seem to help anything for me. If i ride my 250f im constantly on it only because im 250lbs and it takes all the power it has to pull put of corners and make a jump

|

11/30/2018 6:47 AM

I learned to always keep two fingers on the clutch when I started out on 80's and moved up to 125's. My first 4-stroke was a 98 YZ400F and, if I remember correctly, the 4-stroke guru's at the time were preaching there was no need to abuse the clutch but to use the motor and throttle to modulate power so I got used to riding with no fingers on the clutch and just grabbing it with my middle and ring finger if I happened to need it. In regards to clutch use I think some people ride them more like a 2-stroke and some ride them like a 4-stroke. Eli always seems to have a pointer finger on the clutch. It would be interesting to hear an actual pro weigh in on how much clutch work goes into their technique on these modern bikes.

|

11/30/2018 6:50 AM

When I ride a 450 I don't use the clutch that much, roll the throttle on and be smooth in the corners but I still have one finger on the clutch out of habit. I think if I can break this habit on the 450 than I can have a more relaxed grip and maybe reduce some arm pump. On a 250f I use the clutch more especially on my tight practice track so the finger on the clutch comes in handy.

|

11/30/2018 6:51 AM

What happened to Roczen and Villapoto with the no finger on the clutch riding style? I'm not convinced that it's better. My Alta is turning me into more of a "no finger on the clutch" rider when I ride gas bikes. I just hope I don't crash hard because of it.

|

11/30/2018 7:01 AM

I keep 1 finger on the clutch most of the time but rarely use it.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

11/30/2018 7:08 AM

look at old RC and Stew photos on two stroke 125s not many times will you see their finger on the clutch, that's because they knew how to ride and were always in the rite gear and in the power I noticed that quite a bit back in the day and I couldn't do it to save my life

|

11/30/2018 7:23 AM

pete24 wrote:

look at old RC and Stew photos on two stroke 125s not many times will you see their finger on the clutch, that's because they ...more

Don't know how James rode the 125 without a finger on the clutch that much. I could never do that on a 125.

|

11/30/2018 7:32 AM

I’ve seen a lot of current pros, like ones that work with Swanepoel or Grind Compound (Plessinger, Cooper, Oldenburg, etc) will tide one day a week with the rear brake off the bike and the clutch lever pointing straight up. They’re trying to increase roll speed and keep the bike tracking easier. Clutch input can upset both of these and as stated above, four strokes don’t really require much clutch attention.

|

11/30/2018 7:45 AM

ML512 wrote:

I’ve seen a lot of current pros, like ones that work with Swanepoel or Grind Compound (Plessinger, Cooper, Oldenburg, etc) ...more

Maybe I need to try this trick out. Just need to put lots of padding on the tree's surrounding my practice track.

|

11/30/2018 7:57 AM

pete24 wrote:

look at old RC and Stew photos on two stroke 125s not many times will you see their finger on the clutch, that's because they ...more

Lots and lots of skill and experience

|

11/30/2018 8:02 AM

There's definitely still some Pros using the clutch a lot.. Reading an article last week about Reed's New Zealand win it was stated both he and Wilson were on the verge on no remaining clutch after 2 of the 3 races..Apparently Reed had a bit more left than Wilson and won the 3rd, while Wilson faded with clutch problems.

|

11/30/2018 8:12 AM

It's a hard habit to break, being an old 2 stroke guy...I can ride without the clutch pretty good when practicing...but when I"m racing I revert back to my old habits.....funny that Pros"s don't use clutch much, last time I was at a national all I could smell was burning clutches.....

|

11/30/2018 8:24 AM

i coudlve sworn I either read a story or saw a video fairly recently of tomac's mechanic saying they have to change his clutch after every race because of how much and how aggressive he uses it....I could be a crazy person though

|

11/30/2018 8:33 AM

Auto and Slipper clutches

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

11/30/2018 8:36 AM

Steve125 wrote:

There's definitely still some Pros using the clutch a lot.. Reading an article last week about Reed's New Zealand win it was ...more

That's because it was a mud race. Regardless of your style or skill, the clutch Will be over-used in a mudder

|

11/30/2018 9:06 AM

What you think, why so many smoking bikes in recent mud races? Because of the fingers on the cluchwink

|

Power is nothing without control

11/30/2018 9:12 AM

I'm remember when I raced back in days, I wasn't able to use the clutch in the last laps of the race, because i was so tired that wasn't too able use the clutchsmile

|

Power is nothing without control

11/30/2018 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2018 9:26 AM

Would any of that have to do with an auto clutch like Rekluse? I don't think many of the top guys run those though.

|

11/30/2018 9:39 AM

pkiczuk wrote:

i coudlve sworn I either read a story or saw a video fairly recently of tomac's mechanic saying they have to change his clutch ...more

You're not crazy. They use the clutch plenty.

|

11/30/2018 9:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2018 9:49 AM

I always try to keep a finger on the clutch, you never know when your buddy is gonna snap a good picture hahaha. But for real it has saved my ass a few times Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

11/30/2018 9:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2018 9:59 AM

ML512 wrote:

I’ve seen a lot of current pros, like ones that work with Swanepoel or Grind Compound (Plessinger, Cooper, Oldenburg, etc) ...more

nd54 wrote:

Maybe I need to try this trick out. Just need to put lots of padding on the tree's surrounding my practice track.

Or...a rider could just practice NOT USING them...I call this the "MC Method"...Jeremy can literally change his methods on a whim...I watched him ride one of our Adaptive Athlete's Yoshimura RMZ's back in 2010: Hand Rear-Brake/No Brake Pedal, Rekluse Auto w/a very small and hard to use lever...and Jeremy just SHREDDED on that thing.

The dude is fast on anything,I guess.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

11/30/2018 10:01 AM

2 strokes require fingers on the clutch.

4 strokes....nope. Roll it on.

|

GP740
Since 1987

11/30/2018 11:17 AM

pkiczuk wrote:

i coudlve sworn I either read a story or saw a video fairly recently of tomac's mechanic saying they have to change his clutch ...more

It was during one of the the “Science of Supercross” segments.

|

11/30/2018 11:23 AM

ok good, I knew it was recent haha

|

12/1/2018 7:11 AM

I always cover it for safety reasons. One thing I don't like about electric, even if you don't need it is you don't have that option or added security.

|

12/1/2018 8:34 AM

One thing I've experienced is I'm always better with the clutch after a stint with a Rekluse...

|

12/1/2018 8:53 AM

Monk wrote:

One thing I've experienced is I'm always better with the clutch after a stint with a Rekluse...

You can adjust the rekcluse so it feels normal just won’t stall....

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/1/2018 8:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2018 6:49 PM

I used to use the clutch all the time but I started taking lessons with Sean Lipanovich (slmx school) and he has taught me to barely ever use it. He had me turn my clutch lever up until I got used to not touching it and I am way smoother now in corners because I carry more speed.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"