Fingers on levers

yzjs7
Edited Date/Time 8/2/2015 5:44am
So I learned to ride with a finger always on the clutch and brake. It worked for me because I was very tentative at first. Now I feel like I need to break this habit. The most typical crash I have is from falling over losing my balance while turning in a rut. I feel like I am compromising my leverage by doing this. Due to my fingers always on the levers, I run my levers very low to allow me to keep my elbows up. Basically I am wondering do the majority of you guys ride without a finger on the levers? I have noticed most if not all the pros don't.
|
downard254
6/29/2015 5:38pm
Quite honestly, I don't even know if I take my fingers off the levers. I always use two fingers on the clutch and brake, but I don't even know if I ever take them off. Never paid attention. I'm betting on straights and hard acceleration I probably do take my fingers off the levers, it's just become so automatic, that I'm just not aware of it.
6/29/2015 5:39pm
I always have fingers on both levers when riding.. just habit. Two on the clutch and one on the brake.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
6/29/2015 5:41pm
I take mine off and on. On going into a corner. Off on straights. I don't really even think about it.
yzjs7
6/29/2015 5:42pm
I know I definitely need to work on over gripping. Have a lot of close calls washing the front tire not over gripping and leaning into acceleration. Funny how when I race I forget all of the little things I've been working on.

The Shop

6/29/2015 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2015 5:44pm
It's a can of worms topic.

Hard to say which is better when the fastest man on the planet doesn't ride with fingers on the levers...

If you are a student of Professor Gary Bailey, YES, you always keep a finger on the levers...especially the clutch.

Personally, I always keep my pointer finger on the clutch and brake lever. I even do it when I mtn. bike ride to not confuse the habit (looks silly going 2mph up a steep hill and my fingers are resting on the levers)

I can't say i've ever crashed or lost grip because my pointer wasn't wrapped around the bar. But i do think have my fingers already there has saved my ass 100x over.

Here's that Bailey rant on JS7: http://www.racerxvt.com/article/js7---what-i-see

And here's Vitards comments on this thread last time it was asked: http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Finger-on-levers-all-the-…

Doug
JW381
6/29/2015 5:45pm
I rarely ever take them off. I know it hurts my "over grip" but I just like having the controls at the ready. Especially on a 2-stroke.
JW381
6/29/2015 5:47pm
It's a can of worms topic. Hard to say which is better when the fastest man on the planet doesn't ride with fingers on the levers...
It's a can of worms topic.

Hard to say which is better when the fastest man on the planet doesn't ride with fingers on the levers...

If you are a student of Professor Gary Bailey, YES, you always keep a finger on the levers...especially the clutch.

Personally, I always keep my pointer finger on the clutch and brake lever. I even do it when I mtn. bike ride to not confuse the habit (looks silly going 2mph up a steep hill and my fingers are resting on the levers)

I can't say i've ever crashed or lost grip because my pointer wasn't wrapped around the bar. But i do think have my fingers already there has saved my ass 100x over.

Here's that Bailey rant on JS7: http://www.racerxvt.com/article/js7---what-i-see

And here's Vitards comments on this thread last time it was asked: http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Finger-on-levers-all-the-…

Doug
You make a good point tho, it's really a preference thing. RC usually had a finger at the ready. James hardly ever does.
JB 19
6/29/2015 5:53pm
I learned from Gary Bailey at his school when I was 11 years old. I feel that now with 4 strokes it isn't necessary and I would actually be better off without my finger on the clutch in rough chewed up straights. The problem is I can't stop doing it. I've tried and my hand doesn't feel right on the grip. It's strange. I think I need to put some hours in trying to break the habit.

Also, if you race with a Rekluse clutch it almost completely erases the need for the finger on the clutch except for corner exit.
BobPA
6/29/2015 6:39pm
Index fingers on both levers for me 100% of the time.
SwapperMX
6/29/2015 6:46pm
Best thing I did was stop resting index finger on brake lever. Practiced it on my mountain bike to get used to the feeling, as it feels quite different for a while. Helps significantly with re-gripping and being more aggressive on the throttle.
Thelen20
6/29/2015 6:50pm
I am currently trying to break the habit of having my index fingers on each lever at all times because I believe I will have better arm/grip stamina if I use all my fingers to hold on to the bars when possible. . . But what I am realizing is my throttle control goes to crap without that finger on the brake lever and it feels like I am on a run away freight train at times. Still working on it though

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
6/29/2015 6:57pm
Dungey moved his levers up early on in SX.... he said the low levers inhibited stability in corners and that keeping his elbows down made it easier to corner.

Me personally, I keep two fingers on my clutch at all times. It's a 125, so it needs to be finger banged every 30 feet.... it's a dirty, dirty girl.
nytsmaC
6/29/2015 7:14pm
I keep a finger on each lever until the 2nd or 3rd lap. By then I'm gasping, drooling, I'm sitting down everywhere, my arms are about to explode and my hands are blowing off the bars. All form and teechnique is out the window and it's all about hogging the good lines and blocking the guy behind me.

Downshift you say? Fuck you, I'm dying here!
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
6/29/2015 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2015 7:32pm
I ride a 125 and I only keep my fingers on the clutch through the corners. As soon as I come out and it's singing the right tune I go back to the grip. And it isn't very far out of the corner. If you have to slip the clutch after the corner you haven't gone through the corner fast enough. I only go back to the lever when I need to shift. I don't keep my fingers on the clutch going over jumps I don't have problems with flying level and needing to tap the brake. The only time I do that is if I plan to down shift.
And I never keep a finger on the brake.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
6/29/2015 7:31pm
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and also I believe it's easier to reach out and down to the lever than it is to lift your fingers up and over the lever.

6/29/2015 7:45pm
I almost always have my index finger on the clutch and have an index finger on the front brake is most corners but not really anywhere else. I don't always use them bu they are always at the ready. How are you losing your balance and falling in the corners yzjs7? Could have nothing to do with fingers on the controls at all.
mx836
6/29/2015 7:48pm
I always have a finger on the clutch and front brake. Whenever I think about it and try to keep them off the levers, it just feels strange. On a 450 I use that finger on the clutch to limit the power when needed in a hurry. It just feels more comfortable and in control to me that way. I don't think taking my fingers off the levers will help me go any faster.
Thelen20
6/29/2015 7:54pm
I ride a 125 and I only keep my fingers on the clutch through the corners. As soon as I come out and it's singing the...
I ride a 125 and I only keep my fingers on the clutch through the corners. As soon as I come out and it's singing the right tune I go back to the grip. And it isn't very far out of the corner. If you have to slip the clutch after the corner you haven't gone through the corner fast enough. I only go back to the lever when I need to shift. I don't keep my fingers on the clutch going over jumps I don't have problems with flying level and needing to tap the brake. The only time I do that is if I plan to down shift.
And I never keep a finger on the brake.
Have you ever tried shifting without the clutch? Much quicker and easier imo, just roll off the throttle for a split second when you tap the shifter
Mit12
6/29/2015 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2015 8:04pm
I always had a finger on both levers, clutch side finger is great for traction controll and front brake for stopping and is good is for you start climbing out of ruts and berms.
bvm111
6/29/2015 8:06pm
Levers even with bar or a touch lower.... Middle finger on clutch and index on front brake always!!!

Your levers are way too low and you have to reach for the levers to grasp probably causing arm fatigue... Without watching your technique its hard to say why you are crashing.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
6/29/2015 8:12pm
Thelen20 wrote:
Have you ever tried shifting without the clutch? Much quicker and easier imo, just roll off the throttle for a split second when you tap the...
Have you ever tried shifting without the clutch? Much quicker and easier imo, just roll off the throttle for a split second when you tap the shifter
I know that works but that fraction is not worth the abuse to me.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
6/29/2015 8:20pm
I cannot fathom running my levers that low and still being able to use them. I mean that front brake is pointed straight to the ground almost.

Riding in the woods, I got in a habit of resting the index or middle for the clutch and index for the front brake at all times.

6/29/2015 8:26pm
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and...
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and also I believe it's easier to reach out and down to the lever than it is to lift your fingers up and over the lever.

Are you tall?
machine
6/29/2015 8:27pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I keep a finger on each lever until the 2nd or 3rd lap. By then I'm gasping, drooling, I'm sitting down everywhere, my arms are about...
I keep a finger on each lever until the 2nd or 3rd lap. By then I'm gasping, drooling, I'm sitting down everywhere, my arms are about to explode and my hands are blowing off the bars. All form and teechnique is out the window and it's all about hogging the good lines and blocking the guy behind me.

Downshift you say? Fuck you, I'm dying here!
Grinning
yzjs7
6/29/2015 8:29pm
I almost always have my index finger on the clutch and have an index finger on the front brake is most corners but not really anywhere...
I almost always have my index finger on the clutch and have an index finger on the front brake is most corners but not really anywhere else. I don't always use them bu they are always at the ready. How are you losing your balance and falling in the corners yzjs7? Could have nothing to do with fingers on the controls at all.
I feel like im not over gripping enough so my elbows drop and get out of the center of balance. When I try to over grip and keep a finger on the levers I feel like my wrist are bent in an awkward position.
6/29/2015 8:59pm
yzjs7 wrote:
So I learned to ride with a finger always on the clutch and brake. It worked for me because I was very tentative at first. Now...
So I learned to ride with a finger always on the clutch and brake. It worked for me because I was very tentative at first. Now I feel like I need to break this habit. The most typical crash I have is from falling over losing my balance while turning in a rut. I feel like I am compromising my leverage by doing this. Due to my fingers always on the levers, I run my levers very low to allow me to keep my elbows up. Basically I am wondering do the majority of you guys ride without a finger on the levers? I have noticed most if not all the pros don't.
Move your levers up to a more level position and closer to your fingers. That way you don't have to reach down to grab your clutch or brake. Next time you sit on your bike go for your clutch lever and watch how your arm and hand moves then move them up and do the same. You'll notice that it takes more work to get to the levers than it would if they were level. I think riding with a finger on both levers is a good habit to have. Once you get use to it you don't even notice. If your keeping your elbows up with the controls down then I'm sure they will stay up with them level.
Outsider
6/29/2015 9:01pm
Always.. two in the pink, one in the.. er nevermind
6/29/2015 9:24pm
I almost always have my index finger on the clutch and have an index finger on the front brake is most corners but not really anywhere...
yzjs7 wrote:
I feel like im not over gripping enough so my elbows drop and get out of the center of balance. When I try to over grip...
I feel like im not over gripping enough so my elbows drop and get out of the center of balance. When I try to over grip and keep a finger on the levers I feel like my wrist are bent in an awkward position.
Just seen this. If it feels really weird on your wrists then you might wanna try a different handle bar bend. Just a thought. Another thing is try pinching the bike with your legs. When in a turn weigh your outside peg and it will help the bike stay planted in the turn. Dragging your front brake helps also. Remember that you can control your bike as much with the pegs as you can with the bars. Is there some where you can take your bike and practice just turns? You can do continuous circles and figure eights. Both will help your cornering technique a lot. Shane Watts has a couple of video clips on YouTube about doing the both. There's also some technique video on there from a guy with the last name of lafferty. Not Mike Lafferty but probably his brother. Anyway, he talks about hand placement on the bars. Basically he's saying your hands should be cocked just a little on the bars as opposed to straight on. Check them out. Might help.
swtwtwtw
6/29/2015 9:41pm
This may sound weird, but it was suggested to me to lower my bar position, so I did. The result was my elbows came up. I run my levers around the 4 o'clock position and keep my middle finger on the clutch nearly always. Front brake not so much.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
6/29/2015 11:53pm
I run it with 1 finger pointed toward the sky, bitches!

Post a reply to: Fingers on levers

The Latest