Finding your first new bike

flomiester
8/6/2018 7:29am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 9:14am
Whats the chances of finding your first bike you ever bought brand new .I just did i have been looking for the last 30 years and a couple of freinds found it on an auction sight 1974 penton 250 world chapion the reason they new it was mine is because it still had the rear shocks on it that were built from the front forks .I bought it back @ an the auction saturday only 1 person bid against me and that was just for fun i paid less than what the fuel tank is worth .It still has my original AMA number from back then 911 .
|
MXD
8/6/2018 7:37am
I found mine after a little over 20 years. I posted about it in a different thread but here is a cut and paste.

My first dirt bike was a 1986 BW 80 that I got for my 11th birthday. But I didn't have it for very long. My parents were awful people (that's a separate story for a therapist, not a moto board hahaha) and sold it out of the blue one day to the kid next door. I found out when I got home from school and he was riding it around the neighborhood. I was crushed. A few years later he gave it to his cousin and he brought it to the family camp in VT and then 20 years went by. The neighbor kid and I remained friends and at his wedding several years ago, that story came up. I asked what ever happened to the bike and he said he didn't know so we grabbed his cousin and asked him. He said he gave it to the guy across the street from the camp in VT 15 years ago but from there, he had no idea. I just said "well if you ever come across it again, let me know. I'd love to get it back". About a year went by and my friend called and said "you won't believe this but my cousin called and he said he made a few calls and found the bike. The camp neighbor tracked it down. It's on a farm in western MA and the guy said you can have it, come get it". I drove out there with the original BoS from the dealership that I'd kept all these years. When I got there we walked to the other side of the property to an old shack that was barely standing and there it was under a tarp. I knew it was mine because it still had the 1988 registration sticker on the front fender but I double checked the VIN anyway. I tried to pay him but he refused. He was just glad to see it not rot away. A few weeks later I was searching for parts and came across the blue one on CL for $50. It was missing the cylinder and a bunch of other stuff but for $50, it was a no brainer.

flomiester
8/6/2018 9:14am
MXD wrote:
I found mine after a little over 20 years. I posted about it in a different thread but here is a cut and paste. My first...
I found mine after a little over 20 years. I posted about it in a different thread but here is a cut and paste.

My first dirt bike was a 1986 BW 80 that I got for my 11th birthday. But I didn't have it for very long. My parents were awful people (that's a separate story for a therapist, not a moto board hahaha) and sold it out of the blue one day to the kid next door. I found out when I got home from school and he was riding it around the neighborhood. I was crushed. A few years later he gave it to his cousin and he brought it to the family camp in VT and then 20 years went by. The neighbor kid and I remained friends and at his wedding several years ago, that story came up. I asked what ever happened to the bike and he said he didn't know so we grabbed his cousin and asked him. He said he gave it to the guy across the street from the camp in VT 15 years ago but from there, he had no idea. I just said "well if you ever come across it again, let me know. I'd love to get it back". About a year went by and my friend called and said "you won't believe this but my cousin called and he said he made a few calls and found the bike. The camp neighbor tracked it down. It's on a farm in western MA and the guy said you can have it, come get it". I drove out there with the original BoS from the dealership that I'd kept all these years. When I got there we walked to the other side of the property to an old shack that was barely standing and there it was under a tarp. I knew it was mine because it still had the 1988 registration sticker on the front fender but I double checked the VIN anyway. I tried to pay him but he refused. He was just glad to see it not rot away. A few weeks later I was searching for parts and came across the blue one on CL for $50. It was missing the cylinder and a bunch of other stuff but for $50, it was a no brainer.

great story also

Post a reply to: Finding your first new bike

The Latest