Financing a new bike

8/14/2020 12:34pm
using that criteria, what would you financial advisors recommend as an appreciable asset and thus safe to finance?
kb228 wrote:
Real estate
so, land and real estate never depreciate?
Long term likely not unless you are considering a home on wheels. Just remember buy when the market is down and not at it's peak. Cars, bikes, boats and other toys always depreciate with few exceptions.
If you can't afford to pay cash then don't buy it unless the money is free, I financed a truck with my credit union for 1.9% and that is close to free, I could have paid cash but make more on my money than that so it made sense.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/14/2020 2:29pm
mx 219 wrote:
set a budget, this is really what it all comes down to. It's not hard. You brought up good points about not buying $5 coffee, bagging...
set a budget, this is really what it all comes down to. It's not hard. You brought up good points about not buying $5 coffee, bagging your lunch, not buying a new truck every 2-3 years, etc.

My wife and I have set a budget s since we have gotten married (2017) and thankfully we haven't had a bunch "slush fund" purchases, mostly because we limit our slush fund. We have a budget for everything, including hobbies, and I'm pretty happy with where we are.
Falcon wrote:
Your wife clearly has more self control than mine. Congratulations! Wink

mx 219 wrote:
In some ways she is good, in others not so much. Budgeting helps though, seriously.
She'll disregard any budget we agree upon. No control whatsoever. My only possible recourse is divorce, and I won't do that...yet.
shawski
8/14/2020 5:54pm
Look, if the finance rate is zero, and you have a high interest savings account, you're losing money not financing. I understand that this is not...
Look, if the finance rate is zero, and you have a high interest savings account, you're losing money not financing. I understand that this is not the situation most people looking to finance are in, but let's not act like a 0 percent loan is not a great deal.

The one bit of good advice I have seen here is to insure the bike. I use progressive, it's something like 150 bucks a month, and I live at the edge of Philadelphia Evil . I guess I'd feel as strongly about insurance if I was paying cash, but it would just really hurt to be paying a bank monthly and not have a bike!
Holy crap, your bike insurance is $150 a month?
8/15/2020 5:48am
Look, if the finance rate is zero, and you have a high interest savings account, you're losing money not financing. I understand that this is not...
Look, if the finance rate is zero, and you have a high interest savings account, you're losing money not financing. I understand that this is not the situation most people looking to finance are in, but let's not act like a 0 percent loan is not a great deal.

The one bit of good advice I have seen here is to insure the bike. I use progressive, it's something like 150 bucks a month, and I live at the edge of Philadelphia Evil . I guess I'd feel as strongly about insurance if I was paying cash, but it would just really hurt to be paying a bank monthly and not have a bike!
Please please point me to these high interest savings accounts. I’m not interested in ever borrowing money but i am interested in earning it.

The Shop

yz133rider
8/15/2020 6:06am

Bandito121 wrote:
Please please point me to these high interest savings accounts. I’m not interested in ever borrowing money but i am interested in earning it.
Marcus by Goldman Sachs, the interest rate has dropped recently because of the corona virus nonsense but before it was over 2%.

There’s zero fees, transfer money in from your regular account, let it earn money, if you ever need it, transfer back to your standard account.

It isn’t instant to move the money in and out, takes a few days but it’s well worth it to be making money in this easy of a way.
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
8/15/2020 7:40am
Honda Finacing, wouldn't finace me if I put down more than half the cost, weird.
Tuna
8/15/2020 7:58am
Airick wrote:
Honda Finacing, wouldn't finace me if I put down more than half the cost, weird.
You think that’s weird?
8/15/2020 8:37am
opyguy wrote:
i generally put down 3k, finance the rest 3 years...low rate 2.9 about 120 a month...a cell phone bill. sell it when its paid off for...
i generally put down 3k, finance the rest 3 years...low rate 2.9
about 120 a month...a cell phone bill.
sell it when its paid off for 3500 and start the cycle again. (17 250sx)
100% what I do. I usually find a left over. My 17 yz450 I got for 6500. After tax and all the bs I paid around...
100% what I do. I usually find a left over. My 17 yz450 I got for 6500. After tax and all the bs I paid around 7500. Put 1k down only. I pay about 150 a month. Right now I owe about 4k on the bike. I can sell it for more then that if I needed to(only as 30 hours).

I don't ride as much as I used to but I try to sell the bikes before the hit 90 hours. Sell them while they still have good value. Yes I always have a small payment but i'm always on a fresh bike. Never have to worry about major repairs or anything like that. Worth it to me to know Im always ready to ride.
Agree 100% with both of the comments. The only thing that I would add as a thought for someones consideration is..... if you ride the bike once you paid let say the $7500. If you ride it twice you are paying $3750 for each experience. For (10) rides you are paying $750 per experience and $75 ea for 100 rides. This is the way I think of my dirtbike(s) and also MTB. However, none of us need to justify any of this. Dirt bikes are a good thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It is okay if you can only ride once or twice here and there. Are there more costs associated with? Sure. There are costs associated with living and dying. Fuggers want fees for a permit on your grave. Now we are going in a different direction in the discussion. My advice is get the bike anyway you can and also try to be responsible in your finances such as cutting costs in other places. You don't need the best bike and a new truck to have fun. I'm thinking about coining the idea to my friends that we all pick up some 80s or 90s bikes and frequent them at the track. When everyone has the same tools the playing field is level and the fun factor is there.
8/15/2020 8:40am
Yamaha 0% 36 month financing. If you’re buying new bikes every two, why wouldn’t you do this ? Keep the money in your pocket use it elsewhere. Pay it off right before you sell it ?
8/15/2020 8:43am
Yamaha 0% 36 month financing. If you’re buying new bikes every two, why wouldn’t you do this ? Keep the money in your pocket use it...
Yamaha 0% 36 month financing. If you’re buying new bikes every two, why wouldn’t you do this ? Keep the money in your pocket use it elsewhere. Pay it off right before you sell it ?
Correct. In fact, if you have the money (hard earned cash) and can invest it, you might even look at it like a negative 3% interest where someone else is paying a small portion of your payment. Can't go wrong with 0%. At minimum you are building credit while not handing all your money over.
8/15/2020 9:40am
You guys got it all wrong!! He’s going to be on a new bike riding. Financed, borrowed, cash or credit card.. anyway you can to get a bike!!! I’ve never not been pumped either way, even if it’s financed. Congratulations, go get your bike.
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
8/15/2020 9:48am
Airick wrote:
Tuna wrote:
You think that’s weird?
more so, annoying
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
8/15/2020 10:25am
I'm 24yo I have about 12k in student loans. My car is paid off, I have a savings account, 730 score, and a full time job. I was only approved at 4.89 for 4 years, with $2000 down. Monthly payments are around $150. Sometimes you get what you get. If you want a new bike, you want a new bike. Create a budget sheet on excel and make sure you can swing it. I'm making double payments and will have it paid off a year early.

mxb2
8/15/2020 10:32am
skeef wrote:
I'm 24yo I have about 12k in student loans. My car is paid off, I have a savings account, 730 score, and a full time job...
I'm 24yo I have about 12k in student loans. My car is paid off, I have a savings account, 730 score, and a full time job. I was only approved at 4.89 for 4 years, with $2000 down. Monthly payments are around $150. Sometimes you get what you get. If you want a new bike, you want a new bike. Create a budget sheet on excel and make sure you can swing it. I'm making double payments and will have it paid off a year early.

Good plan. Not a big deal if people are responsible on payments.
Indy mxer
8/15/2020 10:35am
skeef wrote:
I'm 24yo I have about 12k in student loans. My car is paid off, I have a savings account, 730 score, and a full time job...

Well said.
Every situation is different. There's no "right way" to buy a bike. It's up to each person what works for them.
HusqFan3
8/17/2020 8:10pm
kb228 wrote:
This guy gets it!
yea no shit. But how many people on here actually buy cars, motorcycles etc cash? As long as you have some money in the bank and...
yea no shit. But how many people on here actually buy cars, motorcycles etc cash? As long as you have some money in the bank and aren't getting rapped by interest who gives a fuck. If you can pay your bills, save for retirement and always have some cushion in the bank if something happens then go for it.

kb228 wrote:
Heres my thinking - and its fine if you dont agree. I dont make an ass load of money, and a $5000 f150 gets me to...
Heres my thinking - and its fine if you dont agree. I dont make an ass load of money, and a $5000 f150 gets me to work and to the track the same as a $15,000 f150. I paid cash for mine. Same for all 3 of my bikes. I dont “need” a brand new bike. I have fun on my 2009 kx’s and i wouldnt have any more fun on a new $10,000 bike. 3 things i COULD have payments on like “normal” people. Lets put $200/month payments on each. Thats $600 a month leaving my pocket. $7,200 a year going to a freakin bank making a banker rich. I would rather keep that money and still have money in the bank and have healthy roth ira and mutual fund investments.

I watch my dad, family friends, my dads gf all have payments on EVERYTHING. Harleys, cars, matress, appliences, credit cards. You name it. Guess what happens when their car breaks? They have NO money left to fix it after all of those payments.

Ive been hardcore on the dave ramsey train for a while. After learning what ive learned, having debt for anything other than a house its flat out stupid and a good way to piss away money that doesnt need to be pissed away.
That’s very well meaning yet financially ignorant advice. For simpletons, that’s probably prudent but financially savvy people and businesses use debt to their advantage every day. Why do you think companies like Microsoft and Apple that literally have hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in cash in hand elect to issue bonds(i.e. debt) instead of use their cash for large purchases such as share buybacks and or acquisitions? Because it would be more expensive to use their cash since they can purchase debt at a lower rate than they earn on their cash. i.e. leverage.

In short, whether debt is good or bad is a question of opportunity cost. When i bought my 18’ Husky I could have paid cash but it would have cost me a lot more money. Why? Because i financed it for 1.9% which thereby allowed me to keep that $10k in my investment account which has earned roughly 20%. So borrowing didn’t cost me 1.9% it saved me 18% in opportunity cost.

8/18/2020 3:05am
So I assume you’ll borrow money against that 18 husky once it’s paid off and invest that money again. Maybe you should also borrow against anything and everything that you have that’s paid off and invest it also.
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
8/18/2020 5:19am
My simple advice would be debt is a good thing if someone else is paying the bill (i.e debt on a house that you are renting out which covers the debt repayments and generates positive monthly cash flow) if you finance something that is depreciating you're losing money twice, once on depreciation and once on interest.

The emotional decision between being smart with money and 'you're only here once' is a challenge, especially when fun toys are waved under your nose at a seemingly affordable monthly cost!
12/8/2021 5:56am
our whole financial system is designed to enslave people

use debt to purchase appreciating assets or if you own a business and need to finance equipment to help the business grow.

you dont *NEED* a new dirtbike.
12/8/2021 6:14am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2021 6:16am
kb228 wrote:
This guy gets it!
yea no shit. But how many people on here actually buy cars, motorcycles etc cash? As long as you have some money in the bank and...
yea no shit. But how many people on here actually buy cars, motorcycles etc cash? As long as you have some money in the bank and aren't getting rapped by interest who gives a fuck. If you can pay your bills, save for retirement and always have some cushion in the bank if something happens then go for it.

kb228 wrote:
Heres my thinking - and its fine if you dont agree. I dont make an ass load of money, and a $5000 f150 gets me to...
Heres my thinking - and its fine if you dont agree. I dont make an ass load of money, and a $5000 f150 gets me to work and to the track the same as a $15,000 f150. I paid cash for mine. Same for all 3 of my bikes. I dont “need” a brand new bike. I have fun on my 2009 kx’s and i wouldnt have any more fun on a new $10,000 bike. 3 things i COULD have payments on like “normal” people. Lets put $200/month payments on each. Thats $600 a month leaving my pocket. $7,200 a year going to a freakin bank making a banker rich. I would rather keep that money and still have money in the bank and have healthy roth ira and mutual fund investments.

I watch my dad, family friends, my dads gf all have payments on EVERYTHING. Harleys, cars, matress, appliences, credit cards. You name it. Guess what happens when their car breaks? They have NO money left to fix it after all of those payments.

Ive been hardcore on the dave ramsey train for a while. After learning what ive learned, having debt for anything other than a house its flat out stupid and a good way to piss away money that doesnt need to be pissed away.
AMEN. So many people think debt is a normal thing and you can't live life without debt. Learn to live within your means.
12/8/2021 6:26am

kb228 wrote:

AMEN. So many people think debt is a normal thing and you can't live life without debt. Learn to live within your means.
i mean to be fair..to have a "middle class" life style in this country you kind of do need to subsidize it with credit. a combined income of 250k a year in a big metro area is just scraping by if you have kids and want to live somewhere decent

i used to see people in new trucks/bikes all the time at the track and i am pretty sure most of them were not earning anywhere near 100k a year.
downonmonday
12/8/2021 6:56am
I have financed one bike when I was 19, I am 40 now. I made all my payments and built my credit through this, but I never financed a bike again. I was racing a brand new bike that was financed. It didn't make sense to me. I was financing a toy I was beating every weekend. Since then I saved and sold my used bike private, putting that money towards a new bike. I know new bikes are $$$, but I'd avoid financing a toy, if possible. But, if not, put down a good payment and make double to quadruple payments each month. Get it paid off!
hititpind
12/8/2021 7:13am

kb228 wrote:

HusqFan3 wrote:
That’s very well meaning yet financially ignorant advice. For simpletons, that’s probably prudent but financially savvy people and businesses use debt to their advantage every day...
That’s very well meaning yet financially ignorant advice. For simpletons, that’s probably prudent but financially savvy people and businesses use debt to their advantage every day. Why do you think companies like Microsoft and Apple that literally have hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in cash in hand elect to issue bonds(i.e. debt) instead of use their cash for large purchases such as share buybacks and or acquisitions? Because it would be more expensive to use their cash since they can purchase debt at a lower rate than they earn on their cash. i.e. leverage.

In short, whether debt is good or bad is a question of opportunity cost. When i bought my 18’ Husky I could have paid cash but it would have cost me a lot more money. Why? Because i financed it for 1.9% which thereby allowed me to keep that $10k in my investment account which has earned roughly 20%. So borrowing didn’t cost me 1.9% it saved me 18% in opportunity cost.

I’d love to know where you are getting 20% back on investment.
KentCook
12/8/2021 7:21am
Euffy wrote:
Don't finance through the dealer. They have obscene rates. Go to your bank and see what kind of rates they can give you. Better yet, get...
Don't finance through the dealer. They have obscene rates. Go to your bank and see what kind of rates they can give you. Better yet, get installment loans.
I am agreeing with financing a bike or smth else. If you don't have the whole sum, you can pay in installments. But please get all the terms and conditions of the loan and the companies' websites. pay attention to the reviews
gt80rider
12/8/2021 7:45am
Yamaha 0% 36 month financing. If you’re buying new bikes every two, why wouldn’t you do this ? Keep the money in your pocket use it...
Or... you could just buy the bike... and ride a bike that you own, not some bank.... that's called doing it the right way... the American way... but then... we've all forgotten about stuff like that...
byke
12/8/2021 10:21am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2021 10:22am

kb228 wrote:

Amen to the conclusion, but not quite on the math in how he got there. For example, you can see the loan calcs in the 4th post on the 1st page. In that rough scenario of three things, you're not paying "$7,200 a year going to a freakin bank making a banker rich", you're really paying more like $1500 over three years, because the rest is going towards something for yourself. Only the interest is going towards making a banker rich, not the principle. It's basically a waste of forty bucks a month. That's less than two mocha's a week. Tough to get too worked up about $42/mo when our entire hobby is based on disposable income.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
12/8/2021 10:51am

kb228 wrote:

HusqFan3 wrote:
That’s very well meaning yet financially ignorant advice. For simpletons, that’s probably prudent but financially savvy people and businesses use debt to their advantage every day...

This is 100% correct!
mxb2
12/8/2021 10:54am
gt80rider wrote:
Or... you could just buy the bike... and ride a bike that you own, not some bank.... that's called doing it the right way... the American...
Or... you could just buy the bike... and ride a bike that you own, not some bank.... that's called doing it the right way... the American way... but then... we've all forgotten about stuff like that...
People spend more on cell phones cable tv than a dirt bike payment. Be responsible. Have fun buy or finance. No biggie either way. Who cares about other peoples money.
12/10/2021 4:05am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2021 12:52am
If you really want and need a bike...it's a good idea
But please be responsible for payments
If you want to avoid stress connected with spending money during this holiday season you may consider taking out a Christmas loan.
I can recommend useful reference. A website that will become a beacon in the complicated world of money for everyone and lead an individual through loans, credits, and debts to efficient money management.
ElliotB16
12/10/2021 4:54am
Cash flow/income is way more important than whether you finance a bike or not.

Post a reply to: Financing a new bike

The Latest