Finally happened to us: STOLEN

gharmon
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2017 7:03am
I'm sorry to report that my son's 2015 CRF250 was stolen out of my shop last night. We bought the bike new and it's going to be super hard for us to replace at this time. I did not have insurance on any of our bikes. I have homeowners but as most of you know that only covers one motorized maintenance vehicle, aka lawn mower.

We live right on the GA/AL state line in no where Alabama. We are one of those people that financed a new bike. Our last payment comes due on sept 29th. So 7 months from paid for it's gone. We may or many not have theft insurance thru the loan. I just have to find my paperwork. Even if we do though I'm pretty sure it just covers the remaining loan balance. My son was coming over yesterday (took the afternoon off work) to clean and prep his bike for the Monster Mountain LLQ this weekend.

I've seen numerous times where you guys mentioned buying a rather cheap policy to cover shit like this. I had even inquired to Geico about it one dayrecently as I was adding my toy hauler to my policy but they kept me on hold to damn long so I hung up. I still have several other bikes that they left alone. Namely my grandsons's 2016 KTMSX50 and several other play bikes. Who's a good insurance company to go with on this?

I never thought it would happen to me or maybe I was just that naïve. I live in a pretty decent working class neighborhood (we are all poor working class) and never locked my doors to the house and left my keys in my car.
I've been here for 27.5 years, I guess it was bound to happed sooner or later. I've filed a report but we all know how this will probably go.

I cant make up my mind if it was some meth heads or some wheelie boy champs looking to make a video. I'm kind of leaning toward the latter as meth heads would have cleaned me out instead of getting one specific bike. I've seen a big group of these wheelie boy wannabe's one town over and have been noticing some random kids riding dirt bikes and 4 wheelers on the side of the roads lately (racing bikes and quads) wearing no helmets or boots and they obviously didn't appear to be someone that bought the bikes (yeah I'm stereotyping).

Anyway guys it you see a Honda CRF 250 (had number 471 on front plate) anywhere along the I85 area on the GA/AL line I can be reached at 706-773-4162. We are just inside an hour from both Atlanta and Montgomery so who knows where it will end up

|
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/20/2017 11:36am
I was nowhere near the area. Just wanted to put that out there...
JRT812
4/20/2017 11:41am
Bummer man, but at least it wasn't worse. I hope you have a good outcome with this and I hope it turns up quickly especially it being a small town.
TXDirt
4/20/2017 11:43am
Trust no one and suspect everyone.

We had a total of 5 race bikes stolen on two different occasions. Ultimately the guy who stole them was the same guy who turned them in for reward money. We at first thought and treated this guy like our hero. Thanks goodness we had detectives who knew otherwise.

If you live in a semi remote area then look for people riding bikes on land. They likely not going to a race track. Could be a good ole country boy who took your bikes and is now just riding it on farm land. That's as likely as a meth head or wheelie boyz.
kkawboy14
4/20/2017 11:45am
I would be shocked to find out you have insurance on your finance agreement. It is a separate policy for me and costs about $100 per year. I have had 2 bikes stolen. Both paid off and I got 1 bike back 6 weeks later. The insurance said I could just keep the one I got back even though they paid me. That bike had everything Pro Circuit could do to a bike.

The Shop

rpoint116
4/20/2017 11:51am
Very sorry to hear. You tell a great passionate story.
tydog
4/20/2017 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 12:17pm
Very sorry to hear. I hate a thief almost as bad as a child abuser......almost.
I'm on the lookout here in Ga I assure you.
mark_swart
4/20/2017 12:26pm
Really sorry to hear this any time it happens. I've had a few stolen over the years.

You are correct on insurance - I know both Geico and Progressive offer policies, for a year you will pay less than you probably blow on a race weekend. It's definitely worth it. Geico gave me very fair value for the two bikes I had stolen in Hawaii.
c0ncEpT
4/20/2017 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 12:36pm
Sorry to hear about this. I never used to insure my bikes and this is the exact reason I carry coverage on both my bikes now.

I insure both my 2016 YZ250F and 2015 TC125 through progressive. Both are around $200/Year to insure.
PDiddy241
4/20/2017 1:00pm
Sorry man! It's too frequent that this happens nowadays. I bought my policy from GEICO online and was pleased with with how they took care of me when my bike was stolen. I hope you get it back!
49weasel
4/20/2017 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 1:15pm
It stinks that it happened but it's bonehead move to buy/finance a bike and not insure it. It's so cheap it's idiotic not to have it.
4/20/2017 3:36pm
49weasel wrote:
It stinks that it happened but it's bonehead move to buy/finance a bike and not insure it. It's so cheap it's idiotic not to have it.
What in your pea-sized brain told you it was a good idea to post this comment?
# a-hole.
49weasel
4/20/2017 4:06pm
Because someone posts this same sob story once or twice a week on some mx site. Insurance ranges from $10-$20 a month for pretty good coverage.
I'm an asshole for sure but I'm an insured asshole. It's just common sense.

You should be forced at the dealership to show proof of coverage when you finance.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
4/20/2017 4:11pm
Watch the Atlanta craigslist. Have seen a few bikes from TN land on the Atlanta craigslist before people know they have been robbed.
4/20/2017 4:14pm
49weasel wrote:
Because someone posts this same sob story once or twice a week on some mx site. Insurance ranges from $10-$20 a month for pretty good coverage...
Because someone posts this same sob story once or twice a week on some mx site. Insurance ranges from $10-$20 a month for pretty good coverage.

You should be forced at the dealership to show proof of coverage when you finance.
Yamaha Finance here in Australia will not approve you unless you can show valid insurance that has already been purchased for the bike.

Very sorry to hear gharmon, here's hoping someone spots it or the police can chase it down!
McDuff
4/20/2017 4:23pm
Sucks, sorry to hear. I had a bike stolen when I was a teen, but got it back. I hope you do too.
mxb2
4/20/2017 5:03pm
49weasel wrote:
Because someone posts this same sob story once or twice a week on some mx site. Insurance ranges from $10-$20 a month for pretty good coverage...

Come on man, didn't you know you are an asshole if you state facts. Lol. I insure my bikes, foolish not to insure 8-10k toys. Imo,. I don't think you should have to insure them, owners choice , but don't post a sob story on MX sites, or start a go fund me account . If you can afford 10k mx bike, you can afford $25 a month to insure it. No excuses, or deal with the loss. Still sucks no matter what.
gharmon
4/20/2017 5:16pm
49weasel wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Come on man, didn't you know you are an asshole if you state facts. Lol. I insure my bikes, foolish not to insure 8-10k toys. Imo...
Come on man, didn't you know you are an asshole if you state facts. Lol. I insure my bikes, foolish not to insure 8-10k toys. Imo,. I don't think you should have to insure them, owners choice , but don't post a sob story on MX sites, or start a go fund me account . If you can afford 10k mx bike, you can afford $25 a month to insure it. No excuses, or deal with the loss. Still sucks no matter what.
Where did any of you mf'ers get the idea I was posting a sob story. I was just basically telling it so maybe someone would see it. I didn't post no gofund me account bitch!! Btw, it was insured thru the dealer. Just yesterday before he had pulled a three year old account he wasn't sure so he said no. It costed me $600 for the three year loan and it would pay fair market value which he said was around $5300.
All of this is moot now as it's been recovered!! Minus broken hand guards it's fine. So thanks to the guys that arent butt fucks about shit!
resetjet
4/20/2017 5:24pm
allstate I have found to be best. Believe it or not I pay $60 per year per bike and cover to ride it on the street in FL.....liability, theft and comprehensive and collision......However, you won't get a dime on collision unless it happens on the street in a traffic accident.
tydog
4/20/2017 5:32pm
Glad you recovered it Mr Harmon. If you don't mind my asking, how far from home was it?
This place is full of geniuses and amateur smartasses anymore. UnGDreal.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
4/20/2017 6:06pm
Awesome you got it back gharmon! Your son must be stoked too! Next up..LLQ !
Jeremy200
4/20/2017 6:34pm
gharmon wrote:
Where did any of you mf'ers get the idea I was posting a sob story. I was just basically telling it so maybe someone would see...
Where did any of you mf'ers get the idea I was posting a sob story. I was just basically telling it so maybe someone would see it. I didn't post no gofund me account bitch!! Btw, it was insured thru the dealer. Just yesterday before he had pulled a three year old account he wasn't sure so he said no. It costed me $600 for the three year loan and it would pay fair market value which he said was around $5300.
All of this is moot now as it's been recovered!! Minus broken hand guards it's fine. So thanks to the guys that arent butt fucks about shit!
Yep. too many dicks on the internet.

They wouldn't say it to your face but have no problem from behind a keyboard.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
4/20/2017 6:41pm
I have geico on my bike. 100 a year. progressive on camper. same price. if you have receipts they will cover add ons.
glad you got it back.check everything. people do weird crap.
mxb2
4/20/2017 7:40pm
gharmon wrote:
Where did any of you mf'ers get the idea I was posting a sob story. I was just basically telling it so maybe someone would see...
Jeremy200 wrote:

Kinda like him calling strangers a bitch? My post was a general statement not directed at him. But to people that post a go fund me or a sad story because they don't wanna buy insurance. Sounds like he is the keyboard tough guy. Maybe read his post. Before defending him. He said he hung up on the insurance company,. Impatiently,. And now mad and defensive because he didn't know he had insurance. Yea, it's everybody's fault but his.
jeffro503
4/20/2017 7:51pm
Damn man , I'm sorry to hear about the bikes getting stolen! The damn thieves are every where now days. And stealing another person's bike is just flat out wrong.....but stealing a kids bike? Just down right evil. Hope the bastards rot it hell!
jeffro503
4/20/2017 7:57pm
Whoops...should have read further down. Glad to hear you got the bike back.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/20/2017 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 8:10pm
Make no mistake, 100% of the blame rests firmly on the shoulders of the thieves.

Glad you got your bike back.
JM485
4/20/2017 8:29pm
gharmon wrote:
Jeremy200 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Kinda like him calling strangers a bitch? My post was a general statement not directed at him. But to people that post a go fund me...
Kinda like him calling strangers a bitch? My post was a general statement not directed at him. But to people that post a go fund me or a sad story because they don't wanna buy insurance. Sounds like he is the keyboard tough guy. Maybe read his post. Before defending him. He said he hung up on the insurance company,. Impatiently,. And now mad and defensive because he didn't know he had insurance. Yea, it's everybody's fault but his.
Did you even read the OP, or were you so excited to have the impeccable hindsite you always do that you couldn't be bothered to read and comprehend? The guys who cant even type full sentences is going to lecture a guy on insurance every chance he gets, and when someone finally blows up on you for being an ass you get butt hurt about it. He knew he didn't have insurance, never asked for anything but for people to keep an eye out, and posted this as a warning for others, what more do you want? Maybe read before being a self righteous ass next time.
usafwx
4/20/2017 8:46pm
I don't know why people felt the need to shit on OP's thread, he wasn't asking for anything besides to keep an eye out and share his story. Don't know why people had to chime in with their soap box nonsense. Glad you got your bike back OP and insurance was there in case.
mxb2
4/20/2017 8:58pm
Jeremy200 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Kinda like him calling strangers a bitch? My post was a general statement not directed at him. But to people that post a go fund me...
JM485 wrote:
Did you even read the OP, or were you so excited to have the impeccable hindsite you always do that you couldn't be bothered to read...
Did you even read the OP, or were you so excited to have the impeccable hindsite you always do that you couldn't be bothered to read and comprehend? The guys who cant even type full sentences is going to lecture a guy on insurance every chance he gets, and when someone finally blows up on you for being an ass you get butt hurt about it. He knew he didn't have insurance, never asked for anything but for people to keep an eye out, and posted this as a warning for others, what more do you want? Maybe read before being a self righteous ass next time.
Not butt hurt at all tough guy.,sounds like you are the one that's mad. You guys have stuff in common the. High school name calling behind a keyboard. Did you read my post where I said it sucks it happened. And I didn't even point out the post was towards him. Maybe you should read it slow.
Cancerman
4/20/2017 10:04pm
I hate to say it, but it was most likely a neighbor. Somebody close that knows you have bikes. I live in a remote area, and I have a couple of sketchy neighbors. I have cameras, locks, cables, chains, and cameras on the cameras in case they see one. I had a neighbor in court with one of the pics showing him on my property. Worth every penny. When one flake goes down, and you have pics and solid evidence, the rest scatter. Been quiet for the last 2 years. Just my story. Sorry for your loss.

Post a reply to: Finally happened to us: STOLEN

The Latest