Finally got my hands on a Leatt helmet

lots of back an fourth one deciding which helmet to go with, was torn between the Leatt and the Moto 9 flex.
decided to take a chance and order the Leatt without putting hands on one.
Beyond happy with it! Other than the fact that it goes on your head its pretty different than any other helmet.

The smaller overall size is very noticeable when wearing it and when sitting next to another helmet. For size comparison I set the Large Leatt next to a medium Troy lee and its immediately noticeable. yes I know most helmets use thicker cheek pads to adjust sizing and don't make shells for every size.

Padding, looking at it I thought it was going to feel harsh and uncomfortable, that is not the case. The padding is very minimal compared to others but has enough to be comfortable.

The vents! you can actually see daylight through the vents. One was big enough to stick a tape measure through and I measured 1.5 inches of the dual layer EPS foam and that's where the protection is.

The chin bar. I had my son put it on and freaked out over how close to his face the chin bar was. After looking at it closer its actually a little further away than his Troy Lee helmet. It looks like its pretty much right on his face but that's because the mouth piece actually leans back towards the face and incorporates a nose guard into it. With the helmet and goggles together there is very little face exposed to roost.

One thing they didn't highlight in any of their media is how large the goggle opening is. You have full peripheral vision with this helmet. Goggles will be the only limiting factor for field of vision.

So will this helmet take off in the MX community? I don't think it will because Leatt has priced it low enough to undercut all the competition. That means they most likely will not pay big bucks to a pro to wear one on TV. I also think people will be hesitant to believe a smaller shell helmet can protect them. 6d was so popular because the helmet in a helmet design and that made more sense to people.
I do however see this helmet taking off in the enduro and woods racing scene.

|
motosurf
12/6/2016 9:40am
One thing failed to be mentioned is this is by far the ugliest helmet on the market
kaptkaos
12/6/2016 9:46am
I have had one since it was launched and I think its an awesome helmet. As far as it being ugly, I would strongly disagree. There are dozens of other helmets that I think are ugly and this isnt one of them.
peelout
12/6/2016 9:48am
i have one as well, it's not the best thing since sliced bread but it's a good helmet.

i particularly don't care for how vented it is. i ride year round and this thing will be impossible to wear in cold/rainy weather. also, better wear ear-plugs if your doing anything longer than a 2 lap moto. my latch system also seems to slip, which is NOT a good thing.

MXD
12/6/2016 10:14am
I was interested in the carbon version so my local dealer called the rep and asked if he could send a large and X-large to the shop for me to try on as I'm typically between those sizes. The rep told him to get payment in full for one first and then he would send it. That was the end of that. It may very well be a great product but that bummed me out enough to go another direction.

The Shop

peelout
12/6/2016 10:16am
MXD wrote:
I was interested in the carbon version so my local dealer called the rep and asked if he could send a large and X-large to the...
I was interested in the carbon version so my local dealer called the rep and asked if he could send a large and X-large to the shop for me to try on as I'm typically between those sizes. The rep told him to get payment in full for one first and then he would send it. That was the end of that. It may very well be a great product but that bummed me out enough to go another direction.
i'm usually a Large size helmet, i ordered the Large and it was WAY too big and loose fitting. i ended up getting the Medium and it fit about perfect
Tracktor
12/6/2016 10:33am
I must have an odd shaped head as both the Leatt & 6d are the most uncomfortable helmets I have tried on. They both seem like good designs(I was completely expecting to buy a 6d until I tried one) but I couldn't wear either one.......
Lajnus
12/6/2016 10:53am
Tracktor wrote:
I must have an odd shaped head as both the Leatt & 6d are the most uncomfortable helmets I have tried on. They both seem like...
I must have an odd shaped head as both the Leatt & 6d are the most uncomfortable helmets I have tried on. They both seem like good designs(I was completely expecting to buy a 6d until I tried one) but I couldn't wear either one.......
I feel you on the Leatt, the 6D however is the most comfortable helmet I have tried on.
moscrop940
12/6/2016 11:09am
MXD wrote:
I was interested in the carbon version so my local dealer called the rep and asked if he could send a large and X-large to the...
No disrespect to you in anyway, but that is how most places operate.

I don't know of many retailers, moto or not, that will order anything of value for you just to "try on"

Cant go to your local hardware store and order a piece of equipment that is $300+ without you at least putting a down payment on said product.

Dont knock the rep for following protocol....I couldn't even imagine what their return area would look like if they just sent out product for people to try for free.
MXD
12/6/2016 11:21am
MXD wrote:
moscrop940 wrote:
No disrespect to you in anyway, but that is how most places operate. I don't know of many retailers, moto or not, that will order anything...

I don't know of many retailers, moto or not, that will order anything of value for you just to "try on"

Cant go to your local hardware store and order a piece of equipment that is $300+ without you at least putting a down payment on said product.

Dont knock the rep for following protocol....I couldn't even imagine what their return area would look like if they just sent out product for people to try for free.
I understand but I think your example is a bit different. With a helmet, fitment is probably the most important factor and everyone's head is different. He called the rep and told him that he had a customer interested and explained the situation. The rep had recently been in the store with the carbon version to give the parts guys a demo. All he was asking was if he could drop one of each off for me to try on and then we would order the color scheme and size based off of that. He wouldn't even bring the demo models without payment in full. I just thought it was rather short sighted to basically say "pay me first and I'll let him try one on".
12/6/2016 11:24am
peelout wrote:
i have one as well, it's not the best thing since sliced bread but it's a good helmet. i particularly don't care for how vented it...
i have one as well, it's not the best thing since sliced bread but it's a good helmet.

i particularly don't care for how vented it is. i ride year round and this thing will be impossible to wear in cold/rainy weather. also, better wear ear-plugs if your doing anything longer than a 2 lap moto. my latch system also seems to slip, which is NOT a good thing.

I was wondering about the ear plugs. sound from the bikes coming through the venting?

kaptkaos
12/6/2016 11:41am
I live in SFL, its always hot and I avoid rain like the plague so the venting is awesome. Yeah its a little loud, but my CRF is stock, mufflers and all. My TRX450R will hurt my ears sometimes. I've had zero issues with the latch.
Lastander
12/6/2016 12:31pm
I bought a Leatt aswell, i have no problems other than that i ride Dragon goggles, and they dont fit together AT ALL. 1-1,5cm space between my cheeks and goggles, instant roost in my eyes, partially blind for a week, so its probably been used 8-10 times in total
motosurf
12/6/2016 12:45pm
My fly f2 carbon is badass. Super comfy and looks bad ass and some bad ass colors. I have an all matte black one fits amazing too.
Bramlett321
12/6/2016 1:20pm
kaptkaos wrote:
I have had one since it was launched and I think its an awesome helmet. As far as it being ugly, I would strongly disagree. There...
I have had one since it was launched and I think its an awesome helmet. As far as it being ugly, I would strongly disagree. There are dozens of other helmets that I think are ugly and this isnt one of them.
I agree with you completely there.....I see multitudes of other helmets that look so gaudy and ugly, but this one seems to have more of a traditional shape to it.
peelout
12/6/2016 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 1:26pm
peelout wrote:
i have one as well, it's not the best thing since sliced bread but it's a good helmet. i particularly don't care for how vented it...

I was wondering about the ear plugs. sound from the bikes coming through the venting?

it could be the venting which would make sense, but it's just very very loud. sound from the bike is high but in my case, it's the sound of air flow that put me near deaf halfway through my ride. my friend, Leatt rep, told me that they offer cap systems for the vents, so that could be a good alternative.

i haven't worn it with any kind of vent caps though, so would have to test to give a full opinion. i think i'll keep it for my DH mountain biking but it'll stay on the shelf for my offroad riding.

another big issue of mine is the visor doesn't come down nearly enough. i'm not trying to look like Joey Moto with a low visor or anything, but on long trail rides sometimes you need the full range of visor adjustment. i had a few rides that i couldn't see shit for over an hour due to the visor being so high and the sun setting. never had this issue with my Shoei nor TLD helmets. just a personal gripe
moscrop940
12/6/2016 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 6:07pm
MXD wrote:
moscrop940 wrote:
No disrespect to you in anyway, but that is how most places operate. I don't know of many retailers, moto or not, that will order anything...

MXD wrote:
I understand but I think your example is a bit different. With a helmet, fitment is probably the most important factor and everyone's head is different...
I understand but I think your example is a bit different. With a helmet, fitment is probably the most important factor and everyone's head is different. He called the rep and told him that he had a customer interested and explained the situation. The rep had recently been in the store with the carbon version to give the parts guys a demo. All he was asking was if he could drop one of each off for me to try on and then we would order the color scheme and size based off of that. He wouldn't even bring the demo models without payment in full. I just thought it was rather short sighted to basically say "pay me first and I'll let him try one on".
I feel ya.

Honestly after rethinking it and reading your side, what the rep SHOULD have done is said "hey, give me your number, next time I'm by here I'll give you a call and I'll be sure to have a demo for you to try"

When I rep'd that wasn't all that uncommon of a practice. If this guy is full time and didn't fly in from out of state to meet with the dealer, I'm actually shocked he didn't have one floating around in the back of his van seeing as how this is a brand new product they are trying to push
MXD
12/6/2016 6:22pm
moscrop940 wrote:

MXD wrote:
I understand but I think your example is a bit different. With a helmet, fitment is probably the most important factor and everyone's head is different...
moscrop940 wrote:
I feel ya. Honestly after rethinking it and reading your side, what the rep SHOULD have done is said "hey, give me your number, next time...
I feel ya.

Honestly after rethinking it and reading your side, what the rep SHOULD have done is said "hey, give me your number, next time I'm by here I'll give you a call and I'll be sure to have a demo for you to try"

When I rep'd that wasn't all that uncommon of a practice. If this guy is full time and didn't fly in from out of state to meet with the dealer, I'm actually shocked he didn't have one floating around in the back of his van seeing as how this is a brand new product they are trying to push
That's pretty much exactly the way I looked at it. If he wasn't local or it wasn't possible, he could have easily told me that and that would have been fine. I wasn't looking for special treatment, I thought it was no big deal. The undertone of his reply just rubbed me the wrong way. It happens.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/6/2016 6:26pm
You guys don't wear headphones when you ride? Wink
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
11/12/2017 7:02pm
A friend of mine had a bad crash this year, broke his femur but worst(or so you would think) his head hit first and took most of the blow. No concussion whatsoever and the helmet did its job...I know every situation is different but that made me a believer, my next helmet will definitely be a Leatt, they fit great and seem priced very competitively, however as someone has already said, they don't exactly have any high profile riders so who knows if they will ever become "6D" level popular.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
11/12/2017 7:15pm
I am closing in on 60 pretty quickly so I am in my 55th year of wearing helmets. Bought the Leatt and although I’ve only had it on a few times it is by far the most comfortable (at least for my head shape) of any helmet I’ve ever owned. I’ve never been one to worry about price when it comes to helmets and would have shelled out the bucks for a 6d but it felt like I had a a watermelon on my shoulders. My favorite thing about the Leatt is the size. As far as looks I think that is personal and honestly if something is comfortable and safe I couldn’t give a shit if someone thinks it’s ugly. Not saying it’s for everyone as I’ve found certain helmets are made for certain head shapes but this one works for me
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/12/2017 7:20pm
RCB33 wrote:
A friend of mine had a bad crash this year, broke his femur but worst(or so you would think) his head hit first and took most...
A friend of mine had a bad crash this year, broke his femur but worst(or so you would think) his head hit first and took most of the blow. No concussion whatsoever and the helmet did its job...I know every situation is different but that made me a believer, my next helmet will definitely be a Leatt, they fit great and seem priced very competitively, however as someone has already said, they don't exactly have any high profile riders so who knows if they will ever become "6D" level popular.
Curious as to what the helmet looked like after the crash.
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
11/12/2017 7:49pm
RCB33 wrote:
A friend of mine had a bad crash this year, broke his femur but worst(or so you would think) his head hit first and took most...
kzizok wrote:
I don't have a pic of it but it definitely looked like it had been through a considerable amount...he hit hard enough for the outline of the helmet to imprint across his forehead and temple but the shell took the blow, I was impressed.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/12/2017 7:51pm
RCB33 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
RCB33 wrote:
I don't have a pic of it but it definitely looked like it had been through a considerable amount...he hit hard enough for the outline of...
I don't have a pic of it but it definitely looked like it had been through a considerable amount...he hit hard enough for the outline of the helmet to imprint across his forehead and temple but the shell took the blow, I was impressed.
Sounds like a good helmet. Been curious about them. Thanks!
jeffro503
11/12/2017 8:39pm
Tracktor wrote:
I must have an odd shaped head as both the Leatt & 6d are the most uncomfortable helmets I have tried on. They both seem like...
I feel you Giles. That's why I have stuck with the Shoei VXW , because I can't find another helmet that fits my head as good as those do.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/12/2017 9:03pm
I'd compare it to the 6d not mips. Mips is just a plastic liner that can slide, the leatt and 6d use rubber bumpers that'll move around and absorb shock. Mips is better than nothing, but the leatt/6d solution is better. You'll like the helmet, I sure do.
BTW it also has a break away visor, the inflatable bag for helmet removal in a bad crash, and the emergency cheek pads. Leatt really checked off every mark on the safety list. Just wish it wasn't as ugly and the vents were closable. Mine did come with vent plugs though
dcg141
11/13/2017 8:15am
Are the made by Airoh?

Post a reply to: Finally got my hands on a Leatt helmet

The Latest