Finally done!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2017 5:39 PM

Larry Ward was and I'm sure still a bad dude on a scooter! I've always loved the 90 RM's and always thought it would be badass to build a tribute bike. He won a 250 main event in 1990 in his rookie year on the 250's...Something not a lot of guys have done. You see a lot of other builds but not many "Big Bird" builds.... So here is the finished product with a little help from my brother in law with great camera skills.Photo

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 5:44 PM

Hell yeah man, awesome job, more pics?

|

8/6/2017 5:48 PM

Beautiful
Nicely done

KC

|

8/6/2017 6:01 PM

thanks! shit I thought I put this in old school. sorry new schoolers smile

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 6:19 PM

Markee wrote:

Hell yeah man, awesome job, more pics?

Thank you,

I am waiting to get some high res pics but I have a few decent ones I can share.Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 6:27 PM

That is awesome. Wonder if he could see he still has a ton of fans if he would do a pod with Matthes. Having someone build a bike as a tribute would be flattering I would think

|

8/6/2017 6:46 PM

JohnnyD13 wrote:

That is awesome. Wonder if he could see he still has a ton of fans if he would do a pod with Matthes. Having someone build a ...more

A podcast would be unreal. He battled with some of the greatest and was always down to earth. Last I heard he was running a hunting outfit in Texas but has been off the radar for years.

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 6:48 PM

Damn, that thing is beautiful. Is it a rider or show piece?

I've been a Larry Ward fan ever since he gave me one of his Hondaline jerseys at a race he and Damon Bradshaw did at Muddy Creek back in '89.

|

8/6/2017 6:53 PM

Really good looking Bike/build !!!!

|

8/6/2017 6:54 PM

Yeah thats one impressive bike

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

8/6/2017 6:59 PM

Dave, that thing turned out awesome!
Now time to get it dirty and give us some shots of it in action

|

8/6/2017 7:01 PM

Sully wrote:

Damn, that thing is beautiful. Is it a rider or show piece?

I've been a Larry Ward fan ever since he gave me one of his ...more

Thanks Sully

It will get ridden with the right conditions but mostly something to look at.

I love hearing stories like that.

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 7:06 PM

500guy wrote:

Really good looking Bike/build !!!!

Thanks 500guy!

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 7:07 PM

So cool!

There's something so weird about seeing restored bikes in HD pics that gives a younger guy like me a way better perspective. Seeing the old, grainy, low res shots takes so much away from what was surely trick machinery. So to see all the restos is badass.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

8/6/2017 7:09 PM

Troy wrote:

Dave, that thing turned out awesome!
Now time to get it dirty and give us some shots of it in action

Ha! Dude I would love to. When it's not so damn hot or get a nice overcast day I guess I will get my shit together and pop some wheelies. Let's go!

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 7:15 PM

JW381 wrote:

So cool!

There's something so weird about seeing restored bikes in HD pics that gives a younger guy like me a way better ...more

JW381 Thanks man. I'm a geek for this kind of shit. haha. As much as I love the new stuff I will always have a soft spot for this era.

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 7:50 PM

Heck yeah! Fabulous build! You should be proud.

Brings back memories of my second bike, a 91 RM'X' 250. I really want to do a resto someday and I think I have found my inspiration (and choice of bike) with your build. Gorgeous looking ride, congrats!

|

8/6/2017 7:52 PM

When he stopped racing he just moved on with his life, very respectable in my opinion. And he was a badass on a bike and I liked his personality....

|

8/6/2017 8:01 PM

moore433 wrote:

When he stopped racing he just moved on with his life, very respectable in my opinion. And he was a badass on a bike and I ...more

I agree 100 percent man.

|

Throwbackmxguy

8/6/2017 8:05 PM

Steadman wrote:

Heck yeah! Fabulous build! You should be proud.

Brings back memories of my second bike, a 91 RM'X' 250. I really want to do a ...more

Thanks Steadman. I'm beyond stoked!

It's funny how just seeing a certain bike or moto image can spark a bunch of memories. Good luck with your future resto man.

|

Throwbackmxguy