Filthy Phil - To the GP's in '16?

MOTO120
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2015 4:10pm
As some of you may have already heard on this weeks Pulp show, Filthy didn't deny that he's been in talks with a team about racing the '16 GP Series. Question is, what team you all think he's talking to? I'm not familiar enough with the GP's to know, rider contract wise, where positions might be available. Ideas?
|
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
7/1/2015 4:54pm
I've been following the GP's more this year but I'm still really not familiar enough with the teams to make accurate silly season predictions. So I'll just throw some ideas out there.

KRT? If RV doesn't come back they'll be looking for 2 riders.

Husky? Not sure if any of their riders are in a contract year but it would be cool to see him there.

I'm not sure how the situations are looking at Suzuki and KTM. I know Yamaha has Guillod coming up.
7/2/2015 12:41am
I don't think it'll be KTM. They have Cairoli, Searle and probably Herlings next year.
KRT seems to be Tixier and Desalle next year, although there are rumours that Simpson will move there too.
Suzuki could be an option if Desalle leaves.
Yamaha Rinaldi has Febvre and Van Horebeek now, but Horebeek's contract will end. Don't think he'll stay there.
Nagl stays with Ice One Husqvarna, not sure if Waters will stay, so that could be an opportunaty too.
Honda stays with Paulin and I thought Bobryshev has another year on his contract too.

So yeah, if Nicoletti will come to Europe, I think the only options for a factory ride is at Suzuki, Yamaha or Husqvarna. But there are several 'private' teams as well where he could fit in.
Olson
7/2/2015 12:54am
Guillod will stay on standing construct Yamaha on a 250. Nagl will stay with IceOne. Waters contract is up but he's doing good so I don't see them not resigning him to sign Phil instead. KRT is going after a handfull of other riders. Maybe as a last minute sign if their first picks falls through. I think Charliers contract with 24MX is up. Don't see him land a ride with any of the large factory teams. Maybe a smaller satellite team like Hitachi KTM, 24MX etc. Maybe DP19 have money for a second rider? He's good on a Yami.

The Shop

crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
7/2/2015 1:05am
isnt Guillod 23 and has to move up to MXGP ?
Not yet 23 but he will be next year so he has to move up.
Unfortunately. Would be cool to have him in there one more year, I'd like to see a swiss title :> (Well it's not over yet, if Herlings doesnt do good, we could have a 4-5 rider battle for the title)
Olson
7/2/2015 1:06am
You're right. He turns 23 in December. I thought he was younger. It feels like he just moved up from EMX.
struth
7/2/2015 1:07am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 1:08am

With Yamaha 450 have fevbre n van horbeek, will they make it a 3 man team with vg92? or van hore beek get dropped.
Fearo
7/2/2015 1:07am
Suzuki would be the first team for whom I'd say: No chance in hell.

I actually just thought of an entirely plausible scenario, but all will depend on if Desalle leaves Suzuki or not.

It's no secret KRT is going balls deep after Desalle, and Suzuki prefers an all-Belgian/dutch line-up, so that could mean:
Desalle -> Kawasaki, Van Horebeek -> Suzuki.... Nicoletti -> Rinaldi Yamaha?

Nicoletti knows the Yamaha, could be a great support rider for Febvre, and I'm sure it could be an easier switch with the help from factory Yamaha.
Olson
7/2/2015 1:09am
And it didn't go so well the last time a dutch/belgian Suzuki team signed an American rider.
struth
7/2/2015 1:13am
Ken Dy dyker, surly will not have a ride on the ktm after this year.
Who might take his seat.
Olson
7/2/2015 1:20am
struth wrote:
Ken Dy dyker, surly will not have a ride on the ktm after this year.
Who might take his seat.
There's been talk about Van Horebeek. I personally have a hard time to see him back there. Also Herlings might move up but under the 250 rig. KTM only intended to have two riders in each class but when Nagl came back after injury they've stayed with three. I think Cairoli has a huge say in who gets the spot if anyone gets it. I think Simpson gets the spot before Nicoletti.
philG
7/2/2015 1:25am
He won't be on a factory team, as good as he has been this year, he hasn't done anything to justify a spot on a decent team. I wouldn't pick him over charlier.. or anyone else for that matter.
7/2/2015 1:42am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 1:43am
KTM will reduce head count soon, they are ploughing tons of cash into the MOTOGP project. Expect Ken to be gone, he takes a seat away somewhere else, perhaps a second tier Suzuki or Honda team.

Make no mistake that when JH moves up he's staying where he is, not on the AC / TS side of KTM.

Phil won't be going KTM, he's having a great year in America but not GP factory great.

JVH isn't going anywhere, Yamaha is full.

In fact scratch factory teams completely, IF and it's a big if (more likely a press play IMO) he comes across it's a small team, he would be daft to try not be yamaha rider somewhere but where. DP 19 team, no I don't see it, he already has his eyes on young Italian GP racers for his teams future and David is going to be racing again next year perhaps his last year.

Anyway, I reckon he will be a SX and mx rider across there so I don't even know whim typing.
Motofinne
7/2/2015 2:35am
I would love to see Phil in the GPs, maybe Mathes gets his head out of his ass and starts to talk about the amazing racing GPs has brought to all of us this year and hopefully next year too. Not only "pushing the panic button" when RV slams his ass on the ground!

But what team would he be on? Very difficult to predict.
7/2/2015 2:45am
crusty_xx wrote:
Not yet 23 but he will be next year so he has to move up. Unfortunately. Would be cool to have him in there one more...
Not yet 23 but he will be next year so he has to move up.
Unfortunately. Would be cool to have him in there one more year, I'd like to see a swiss title :> (Well it's not over yet, if Herlings doesnt do good, we could have a 4-5 rider battle for the title)
he could get a title in MXGP , some guys do even better on a 450 ..look at Febvre , he looks a lot better on a 450
7/2/2015 2:48am
Olson wrote:
You're right. He turns 23 in December. I thought he was younger. It feels like he just moved up from EMX.
this is his 3rd year at MX2 to my knowledge , so he was already 20 when he entered the MX2 ... most of the riders are a lot younger , Herlings and Kenny were 15 and 16
ajv#26
7/2/2015 2:57am
Phil in a factory team???? Come on guys, get real!!
Bosco
7/2/2015 4:06am
Is Dixon's team MX2 only? Doesn't he have a reputation of bringing guys over from the US?
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
7/2/2015 6:58am
Olson wrote:
Yep it weird, he looks like 18 as well...
But he raced mx2 in 2011 and 12 (for Hubert nagls team I believe) already before going to emx.
Starcrossed
7/2/2015 7:17am
I think Phil could do very well in the GPs. Probably surprise a few of the Euros and provide some great ammo for the AMA vs GP threads. Villopoto was NOT an accurate measuring stick this year.
Olson
7/2/2015 7:35am
I think Phil could do very well in the GPs. Probably surprise a few of the Euros and provide some great ammo for the AMA vs...
I think Phil could do very well in the GPs. Probably surprise a few of the Euros and provide some great ammo for the AMA vs GP threads. Villopoto was NOT an accurate measuring stick this year.
I don't disagree but it's a huge gamble signing an unproven rider in the GPs over riders like Desalle, Waters, Charlier, Van Horebeek, Simpson etc. Those are the guys he will be fighting with over a factory spot. It would be easier if he was going to ride 250s like Decotis and Leib.
Starcrossed
7/2/2015 7:41am
I think Phil could do very well in the GPs. Probably surprise a few of the Euros and provide some great ammo for the AMA vs...
Olson wrote:
I don't disagree but it's a huge gamble signing an unproven rider in the GPs over riders like Desalle, Waters, Charlier, Van Horebeek, Simpson etc. Those...
I don't disagree but it's a huge gamble signing an unproven rider in the GPs over riders like Desalle, Waters, Charlier, Van Horebeek, Simpson etc. Those are the guys he will be fighting with over a factory spot. It would be easier if he was going to ride 250s like Decotis and Leib.
Not saying that he would be preferable to the guys that you mentioned or that he would supplant any of them for a factory ride, but he is an accomplished outdoor rider who, in my estimation, will do better than Decotis or Leib, even in the MX1 class.
machine
7/2/2015 8:01am
Most of his races this year have been 9th or 10th place, not exactly factory material. You know by now with all the adjusting he would have to do, I doubt he would be better than a 10th place guy over there.
Olson
7/2/2015 8:47am
Not saying that he would be preferable to the guys that you mentioned or that he would supplant any of them for a factory ride, but...
Not saying that he would be preferable to the guys that you mentioned or that he would supplant any of them for a factory ride, but he is an accomplished outdoor rider who, in my estimation, will do better than Decotis or Leib, even in the MX1 class.
Decotis and Leib got offered great rides because there's more rides available in the 250 class. Less options going to the 450s. I personally think Phil would be a good signing, but I'm not a team manager. Trying to stay away from the AMA vs GPs debate, but just an example. Fredrik Norén is doing great in the AMA, finished 10th last year. I rank Phil about Noréns pace, maybe a bit higher (better starts and raw speed). Norén is close to Filip Bengtssons speed, currently riding for 24MX Honda in the GPs. So somewhere around that spot for Phil except on the sand tracks, Bengtsson hauls the mail in the sand.
Talispam
7/2/2015 9:10am
It would be awesome to see Gajser win the title.
philG
7/2/2015 10:09am
When you think of what leib,decotis, Albertson and then RV have done, I don't see anyone in the US worth hiring over anyone here, apart from the obvious ones that wouldn't want to. And to be honest, I think he would be better doing another AMA season

Post a reply to: Filthy Phil - To the GP's in '16?

The Latest