Filter for YZF air channels

brocsdad
4/13/2021 1:01pm
Hello,

Does anyone make a filter to keep dirt/mud from entering the air channels on the YZF 250/450. I never had an issue with the filter getting so dirty on my 19 but the 21 seems to get really dirty. Some of dirt was coming through the channels but the slots in the cover seem to let more dirt in. I noticed a spec fall into the box when I took the filter out and freaked out. I will need to use the vacuum trick moving forward to ensure nothing falls in.

The cover is an easy fix with some tape but I was a hoping someone made a filter for the air channels in the shrouds. This would be really helpful for the morning practice when clumps of dirt and coming into the channel area.

Thanks in advance!

Todd
|
AH387
4/13/2021 1:09pm
Curious how the 21 filter is getting so much dirtier than the 19? Isn't the only difference the holes that are in the back of the airbox cover (under the mini seat) ? That is where the dirt is coming in? I don't know of any filter but you could probably just but a pre-21 airbox cover without the holes and use that when you think it may get dirty/dusty/muddy.
Lynch
4/13/2021 1:47pm
Pc racing shroud filters keeps the big stuff out
brocsdad
4/13/2021 2:00pm
Yes,

I had clumps of dirt laying on the filter from the holes in the back of the airbox. In general the filter itself seems to get dirtier. I'm thinking the motor may be pulling more air with the new design. I also installed the DT-1 kit which eliminates the screen. When I pulled the filter off one a small clump of dirt from the back of the filter fell in the box. I got it out but it freaked me out. Ughh...

I'm going to use a vacuum after pulling the filter and also try putting something in the channels when it's freshly prepped to keep any large chunks of dirt out.

Chaser503
4/13/2021 2:19pm
I have a 2020 yz450f and found the same thing. Lots of dirt chunks and debris sitting on the filter after a ride. Far more than previous bikes, with traditional air box location.

Went to local fabric store and bought some seat cushion foam, cut into 3 inch x 3 inch blocks and stuffed those blocks down into the tunnel on either side of the air filter.

Definitely some improvement. I'll pull them out, put wash cover on, and wash out air box every few rides. Didn't notice much of a difference in throttle response.

The Shop

AH387
4/14/2021 5:51am
brocsdad wrote:
Yes, I had clumps of dirt laying on the filter from the holes in the back of the airbox. In general the filter itself seems to...
Yes,

I had clumps of dirt laying on the filter from the holes in the back of the airbox. In general the filter itself seems to get dirtier. I'm thinking the motor may be pulling more air with the new design. I also installed the DT-1 kit which eliminates the screen. When I pulled the filter off one a small clump of dirt from the back of the filter fell in the box. I got it out but it freaked me out. Ughh...

I'm going to use a vacuum after pulling the filter and also try putting something in the channels when it's freshly prepped to keep any large chunks of dirt out.

Oh ok. Wow I did not expect that. I have a '21 also but it hasn't come in yet, so I have no experience with how the filter reacts, with the new holes. I also bought a cage-less kit that I have here, ready to install. I was actually considering getting a Slater Skins cover too, but maybe that would be even worse for sucking dirt since it has almost like ram air scoops. But at least it has a screen, so that may help keep out the large chunks that you describe. I would look into different options for the airbox cover. You can even get the Cycra Powerflow, which has a higher volume than stock but no holes. Just some options.
basslips
Fantasy
2045th
4/14/2021 8:29am
Find some coarse foam, skid plate foam works great, trim into shape and install in front of air intake. I've done this for a couple of our YZ's and it works great. Pull out and wash crud off every couple rides. It does not block that much air flow and cuts down on the big chunks making their way in.

Post a reply to: Filter for YZF air channels

The Latest