Fill In Riders - time for a change?

ga_pike
Edited Date/Time 1/13/2018 1:36pm
So with the way that injuries are going in our sport, is it time to reevaluate the way numbers are assigned? I'm thinking that the numbers are assigned to a rider like now, but then the number belongs to that team for the season meaning fill in riders would actually ride the bike and number of the rider they are filling in for... similar to NASCAR. The fill in rider would accumulate points for the injured rider toward the championship.

Yes, this changes the structure of things a lotta bit, but with teams like JGR maintaining fill in guys on their roster at times, it seems like it might be a logical step.

Maybe limit the number of events a specific guy could use a fill in, say 3 races? But offer a way to keep someone from coming back early just to maintain points and possibly risking further injury?

Thoughts?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/12/2018 9:28am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 9:30am
Rider earning points for another rider. Fuck no.

It's their job. If you get sick and can't go to work you can't simply send someone else to put in the hours for you so that you get the same paycheck.
Robgvx
1/12/2018 10:16am
Uhhhh no. A rider can’t earn points without racing...
James could've used a system like that.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/12/2018 10:18am
Robgvx wrote:
Not really. He would of first had to line up for a race before pulling out with an "injury".
1/12/2018 10:19am
New stipulation: Rider may fill in on points for any rider provided he is also allowed to fill in for him with the wife/gf same race night.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/12/2018 10:20am
Worse idea than the Monster monster explaining format changes.
SoCalMX70
1/12/2018 10:25am
How about just have a separate system for "team points" in addition to what we have now? Doesn't F1 have a "manufacturers points" system? Similar to that.

Granted it wouldn't mean much other than bragging rights, but why not?
Johnny Depp
1/12/2018 10:35am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 10:39am
Numbers are used to identify riders. Get the #, look in the program and Viola, now you know who just went by and it only took 10-15 seconds and a program.

Rider initials instead of numbers would make the job 10 times easier, and it wouldn't change every year.

I know I'm way out there on this, it just makes too much sense. It happens to be the way we refer to them online anyway. And if there are duplicates just add their points number small next to it. The riders deserve to be recognized themselves just like the sponsors are.
Nighttrain
1/12/2018 10:38am
I've wondered the same thing, Ga-Pike. Maybe add a Team Points competition and give it some push from FELD, announcers and press? At least the team sponsors would get more visibility.

There's the manufacturer points comp but perhaps those are better influenced by a parked bike when a rider is out due to injury:
https://results.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1805/S1F1MANUFACTURERP…
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/12/2018 10:39am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
How about just have a separate system for "team points" in addition to what we have now? Doesn't F1 have a "manufacturers points" system? Similar to...
How about just have a separate system for "team points" in addition to what we have now? Doesn't F1 have a "manufacturers points" system? Similar to that.

Granted it wouldn't mean much other than bragging rights, but why not?
They already have a manufacturer's point system/championship for supercross. It's just not talked about much because frankly it's pointless in SX. Unlike the F1 constructor's championship that pays out 100's of millions of dollars.

I suppose they could add a team points system/championship but like you said it wouldn't mean much. I don't even know how they award the points to the manufacturer's. Some brands have more bikes than others out on the track. Whatever it is I guess it would be similar since some teams have more riders than others.

Both pointless in my opinion.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/12/2018 10:48am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 10:49am
Numbers are used to identify riders. Get the #, look in the program and Viola, now you know who just went by and it only took...
Numbers are used to identify riders. Get the #, look in the program and Viola, now you know who just went by and it only took 10-15 seconds and a program.

Rider initials instead of numbers would make the job 10 times easier, and it wouldn't change every year.

I know I'm way out there on this, it just makes too much sense. It happens to be the way we refer to them online anyway. And if there are duplicates just add their points number small next to it. The riders deserve to be recognized themselves just like the sponsors are.
Not sure initials instead of numbers would make it easier. What happens to guys who have the same initials like Justin Brayton and Justin Barcia? You could say they're on different colored bikes but take this year for example. Had Barcia not gotten the Yamaha ride he'd more than likely be on a Honda like Brayton.

I guess those could be exceptions and have numbers as well. Would take some time to get used to seeing initials on bikes instead of numbers. I think it would look out of place. I've always associated racing with race numbers. Hell even those tough mudder races assign you a number.
1/12/2018 10:56am
Jesus... are we all a bunch of liberals trying to fix something that isn’t broken... if Bogle (19) isn’t riding.. his number won’t be on the track. It’s very simple!
TeamGreen
1/12/2018 11:05am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 11:06am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rider earning points for another rider. Fuck no. It's their job. If you get sick and can't go to work you can't simply send someone else...

It's their job. If you get sick and can't go to work you can't simply send someone else to put in the hours for you so that you get the same paycheck.
I'm gonna have to roll with my Canadian Brother on this one.
Detroit Dick
1/13/2018 6:17am
Jesus... are we all a bunch of liberals trying to fix something that isn’t broken... if Bogle (19) isn’t riding.. his number won’t be on the...
Jesus... are we all a bunch of liberals trying to fix something that isn’t broken... if Bogle (19) isn’t riding.. his number won’t be on the track. It’s very simple!
Jesus are we all a bunch of snowflake conservatives blaming liberals for absolutely everything that intrudes on our delicate little charade?
Indymxer
1/13/2018 6:33am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rider earning points for another rider. Fuck no. It's their job. If you get sick and can't go to work you can't simply send someone else...

Yes you can. It's called sick leave. Happens all the time.
slipdog
1/13/2018 6:59am
Jesus... are we all a bunch of liberals trying to fix something that isn’t broken... if Bogle (19) isn’t riding.. his number won’t be on the...
Jesus are we all a bunch of snowflake conservatives blaming liberals for absolutely everything that intrudes on our delicate little charade?
I'm a little confused with all this political name calling stuff. I thought snowflakes were the liberals, no? Also, what's with these Snow Mexicans I keep hearing about? Asking for a friend.
aroark247
1/13/2018 8:19am
I think you have got it backwards Dick..nuts
Kkawi
1/13/2018 8:44am
Jesus are we all a bunch of sluts
MX-LIFE.
1/13/2018 9:06am
Robgvx wrote:
Your so funny but it's nice that even though he isn't racing he is still on your mind! Fucking hater
LungButter
1/13/2018 9:06am
Is it really 100s of Millions to win the F1 manufacturer championship?

That doesn't seem realistic to me.
MX-LIFE.
1/13/2018 9:07am
Robgvx wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Not really. He would of first had to line up for a race before pulling out with an "injury".
You to..
tcallahan707
1/13/2018 9:11am
aroark247 wrote:
I think you have got it backwards Dick..nuts
I think this one went over some heads...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/13/2018 9:12am
LungButter wrote:

Yup, top teams like Mercedes and Ferrari...who develop their own chassis and engines have a reported yearly racing budget of over $400 million dollars. Small teams, like Force India, are in the $120-150 million range.
tcallahan707
1/13/2018 9:13am
New stipulation: Rider may fill in on points for any rider provided he is also allowed to fill in for him with the wife/gf same race...
New stipulation: Rider may fill in on points for any rider provided he is also allowed to fill in for him with the wife/gf same race night.
You ever hear stories about how some 45 year old Joe Blow from an adult hockey league gets called in to be the backup for a night in the NHL? Gosh, I hope this becomes my becomes my destiny in the moto world.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/13/2018 9:23am
Robgvx wrote:
MX-LIFE. wrote:
Your so funny but it's nice that even though he isn't racing he is still on your mind! Fucking hater
* You're
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/13/2018 9:43am
LungButter wrote:

I'm sure you already know but F1 is the biggest form of motorsport in the world. The top teams have yearly budgets in the 100's of millions and with big TV deals comes profit sharing and that's where the money comes from for the constructor's championship. Each team receives a bonus at the end of the series which in part helps them fund the following season of racing. For 2017 1.38 Billion dollars was distributed between the teams.

If you would like to see a breakdown or read more about the 2017 season you can check it out HERE.
bama205
1/13/2018 10:34am
Robgvx wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Exactly. News flash everyone. James retired.

Post a reply to: Fill In Riders - time for a change?

The Latest