"Field of Dreams" moments.... did I really just race with Stanton and Henry at Daytona?!?!

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2020 6:31am
We spend a lot of time nitpicking our sport on this forum, so I'd like to balance it out a little with something I'll remember for the rest of my life. I just had the incredible experience of racing the Daytona Vintage SX yesterday, and ended up sharing motos with both Jeff Stanton and Doug Henry (on an adapted bike).

Henry was right ahead of me off the start of my second moto in our "Warrior" class for military and first responders, and it was entirely surreal seeing that name and number 19 as I tried to chase him around the track. He tipped over on lap two but I'm pretty sure he was going to check out on me up until that point.

I ran a vintage class on my 93 CR 125 and we gated with the Evo 2 class where Jeff Stanton was riding his YZ 100. He also checked out on me, but I felt like I learned a lot just being behind him for a little while and seeing the lines he takes and how he rails corners.

After those two motos, I went back to my pit, took my helmet off, and almost went into a daze. I've been dorking out on moto since the 80s, and I have to admit the emotions of racing with those two legends was almost overwhelming for me.

Todd DeHoop was there ripping on an 86 CR in full Bailey kit as well - I didn't get track time with him, but when he saw my HoT replica graphics while we were waiting for practice, he came over and sort of laughed and said he had "a couple of those" at home. I don't see how any other sport could offer such an experience to an average Joe like myself, and I can't express how cool it is for legends like this to support these events.

For any of you vintage enthusiasts considering DVSX in the future, the vintage day is a sweet experience. The track is tamed to the point where it is basically a small, tight motocross track. The whoops are gone, gaps filled in, the dirt was perfect, and by Tuesday the crowds have dwindled and plenty of good pit spaces are available. It would be awesome to see this event grow, I certainly hope to go back again!

To close out, I want to sincerely thank Tim Cotter, DC and MX Sports for adding the "Warrior" class to the vintage day program. We had 23 riders from 10 states, and one of the larger classes of the day. On behalf of us racers and the Veteran's MX Foundation, thank you MX Sports!!

|
3/11/2020 10:36am
Awesome day and event. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/11/409889/s1200_IMG_20200310_131337058.jpg[/img]
Awesome day and event.
DC helping Henry after going down from warp speed railing berm
DC
3/11/2020 11:28am
Awesome day and event. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/11/409889/s1200_IMG_20200310_131337058.jpg[/img]
Awesome day and event.
DC helping Henry after going down from warp speed railing berm
And he really was railing that corner, as you can see by this video, but he hit a rock the time he went down and the front end washed. And in typical Doug Henry hero style, he was laughing when I got over there to help his buddy get him up and running!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9kRQRDATIY/

(Sorry, don't know how to upload video)

And Mark, thanks for the real kind words, what a fun event it was--I didn't even get to race!

DC
Racer X

The Shop

3/11/2020 2:24pm
My dad ran 60+ On a 95 cr250 (I surprised him with It about 4 years ago.) And was giddy talking about him on the same track with Stanton......Awesome event. Glad he got to do it and feel 20 again.

ProKawi24
3/11/2020 2:46pm
Henry is a badass. I wish I could get into the adaptive bikes to ride again but the cost is way too much and aside from special events I'd probably rarely ever get to ride with nobody to pick me up lol.

Did anyone look at the vintage class list online? Holy crap that would of been cool. Showing up with a 2001 KX125 PC Works bike would of been the happiest day of my life.
DC
3/11/2020 3:15pm
The whole Tuesday event was honestly a blast, and it started with the riders' meeting the night before, lots of bench racing and just general camaraderie, and Jeff Stanton and Doug Henry could not have been better co-hosts, and then guys like Todd DeHoop and Randy Richardson and Todd Streit (#27) and young Casey Cochran going all-in really made it special. Oh, and the track was easy and super-safe on both old bikes and old bodies. I shot a bunch of photos but these will give you some of the general idea...

DC
Racer X
DC
3/11/2020 3:18pm

DC
Racer X
Sully
3/11/2020 4:36pm
That looks like such a good time.

DC, did Racer X have someone there shooting video? If so, I can't wait to see it.
3/12/2020 6:26am
I've heard so many positive comments and stories from this year's event...sure to create a bigger movement for 2021. I'm all in next year on my 73 Hoosky and probably put together something for a revo class while I'm at it.
keinz
3/12/2020 6:28am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2020 6:31am
DC wrote:
The whole Tuesday event was honestly a blast, and it started with the riders' meeting the night before, lots of bench racing and just general camaraderie...
The whole Tuesday event was honestly a blast, and it started with the riders' meeting the night before, lots of bench racing and just general camaraderie, and Jeff Stanton and Doug Henry could not have been better co-hosts, and then guys like Todd DeHoop and Randy Richardson and Todd Streit (#27) and young Casey Cochran going all-in really made it special. Oh, and the track was easy and super-safe on both old bikes and old bodies. I shot a bunch of photos but these will give you some of the general idea...

DC
Racer X
Oh, 222 must be that Sicilian guy, Tony something. Still racingWink

Post a reply to: "Field of Dreams" moments.... did I really just race with Stanton and Henry at Daytona?!?!

The Latest