Ferrari threatens F1 exit on new engine rules

Related:
Create New Tag

11/6/2017 9:09 AM


Obviously non Moto, however it illustrates just how real the major manufacturer's leverage is on the subject of rules. It may not be headlines in Moto, yet I suspect behind the scenes we have the same battle going on over 2 strokes and E bikes.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20171103/COPY01/311039949/ferrari-threatens-formula-one-exit-on-new-engine-rules?cciid=email-autonews-daily

Photo

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

11/6/2017 9:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 9:11 AM

As you stated, non-moto...moving now.

|

11/6/2017 9:23 AM

I didn't know engine changes were proposed simply to make them louder. Interesting

|

11/6/2017 10:17 AM

colintrax wrote:

I didn't know engine changes were proposed simply to make them louder. Interesting

F-1, the sights, the sounds and the smells. You have to admit, those muted engines suck for the fan experience.

|

11/6/2017 4:28 PM

ML512 wrote:

As you stated, non-moto...moving now.

Thanks to you having any post by me ding your phone, I have discovered Non Moto. Looks like fun.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

11/6/2017 4:37 PM

colintrax wrote:

I didn't know engine changes were proposed simply to make them louder. Interesting

newmann wrote:

F-1, the sights, the sounds and the smells. You have to admit, those muted engines suck for the fan experience.

Wow I have never seen a back to back comparison like that. The new sounds horrible to the old.

|

11/6/2017 4:57 PM

colintrax wrote:

I didn't know engine changes were proposed simply to make them louder. Interesting

newmann wrote:

F-1, the sights, the sounds and the smells. You have to admit, those muted engines suck for the fan experience.

Idaho747 wrote:

Wow I have never seen a back to back comparison like that. The new sounds horrible to the old.

Me either. That is depressing.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





11/6/2017 5:18 PM

Any comments on the see saw between Promoter's dictating rule changes that could cost millions of dollars to race teams that don't print money?

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

11/6/2017 5:36 PM

Because racing should be all about the sound. Personally, I can't wait for everything to switch over to electric.

|

11/6/2017 6:24 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Any comments on the see saw between Promoter's dictating rule changes that could cost millions of dollars to race teams that don't print money?

Seeing what the rules did to the cost of racing the 125 class(250F's), I don't understand how the F1 teams generate all the money to function in the first place.

|

11/6/2017 6:58 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Any comments on the see saw between Promoter's dictating rule changes that could cost millions of dollars to race teams that don't print money?

newmann wrote:

Seeing what the rules did to the cost of racing the 125 class(250F's), I don't understand how the F1 teams generate all the money to function in the first place.

Biggest motorsports league in the world, millions of people watch it, huge corporate sponsors, big TV deals, etc.

Not that difficult to understand how they get the funding.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/6/2017 7:24 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Biggest motorsports league in the world, millions of people watch it, huge corporate sponsors, big TV deals, etc.

Not that difficult to understand how they get the funding.

Still, hundreds of millions going into a race program for cars that have zero similarities to what is offered for sale. Just huge money. But I did have a customer in today trying to explain to me how much he owed on a truck he had financed through Santander....blink

|

11/6/2017 7:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 7:50 PM

newmann wrote:

Seeing what the rules did to the cost of racing the 125 class(250F's), I don't understand how the F1 teams generate all the money to function in the first place.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Biggest motorsports league in the world, millions of people watch it, huge corporate sponsors, big TV deals, etc.

Not that difficult to understand how they get the funding.

newmann wrote:

Still, hundreds of millions going into a race program for cars that have zero similarities to what is offered for sale. Just huge money. But I did have a customer in today trying to explain to me how much he owed on a truck he had financed through Santander....blink

Some of the stuff seen on F1 cars eventually makes its way to consumer cars (Kinetic/Energy Recovery System), But to your point of hundreds of millions of dollars you're correct. It's definitely not cheap to be involved in F1 and much less to be at the top of it.

When you think about the fact that a top team's budget for a single season could easily fund a top factory SX/MX team for 15-20 years if not more it's pretty amazing. No wonder SX/MX is considered one of the cheapest form of professional racing.

Last couple seasons have been pretty boring so hopefully things change soon.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/7/2017 2:37 AM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. No team should be more important than any other, and since Ferrari is so reliant on racing to keep their name relevant I couldn't imagine them following through with the threat.

|

11/7/2017 5:07 AM

Ferrari made repeated threats to quit when its F1 contract previously came up for renewal but it signed up after Ecclestone boosted its prize money. It gets around £160m in prize money annually and £80m of it is guaranteed before a single race even begins. Although it finished behind Mercedes, its prize money haul outstripped that of the German team by a staggering £42.8m.

|

11/7/2017 7:50 AM

Andy_Greenney wrote:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. No team should be more important than any other, and since Ferrari is so reliant on racing to keep their name relevant I couldn't imagine them following through with the threat.

I can assure you, Ferrari does not need to win races to sell cars anymore, and this has been the case for quite some time now.

|

11/7/2017 9:14 AM

Newmann, here is a graph of how the teams get paid (this is from 2014)

Photo

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

11/7/2017 2:35 PM

That is one heck of a business model. Ferrari is already getting a bigger piece of the pie, and the teams get 50%!

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

11/7/2017 3:43 PM

Ferrari has been there since the beginning of F1. Them leaving the sport would hurt the owners big time in my opinion. Watch a race and you'll see a ton of people wearing red shirt & hats and flying the Ferrari flag.

Being there since the beginning is one of the reason why they receive a bigger portion of the profits.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 7:29 AM

Idaho747 wrote:

Wow I have never seen a back to back comparison like that. The new sounds horrible to the old.

Back in the old days (10 cylinder days), if a single F1 car fired up a mile away in the paddock, you could feel it in your chest, and that was the car idling. You can only imaging what it felt like when 20 of them blasted past you are 20k rpm. The latest engine package isn't Nearly as loud, they are equivalent to the db output of a heavily modded street car, like the loudness of Vaughn Gittin Jr's drift car. You simply don't feel them as they drive by anymore. Back in the old days, at the start, the freakn ground would shake and your adrenaline would absolutely kick in. You could be sitting on giant concrete bleachers and the concrete would absolutely shake during the start. Now days, it is much more like listening to 20 street legal tuner cars drive by, huge difference.

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord