Fernandis 7th Place.....

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2019 7:30 AM

How does he get 7th place without finishing the race? In 2004 Reed got 17th or 18th place when his bike tank’d in the mud.

In 2014 when JS7 wadded it up in the whoops while in second place and didn’t finish got a 19th. So how in the world did Ferrandis get 7th when he didn’t even finish the race?

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

2/4/2019 7:31 AM

He blew up on the last lap and they had lapped 8th. So he was moved to the last position on the current lap.

|

2/4/2019 7:34 AM

He's French so they used the metric system to score him.

|

2/4/2019 7:39 AM

ML512 wrote:

He blew up on the last lap and they had lapped 8th. So he was moved to the last position on the current lap.

There you go...simple mathematics. Not that common core bullshit

|

2/4/2019 7:41 AM

Same happened to Reed in 08 when he blew up on last lap in Daytona. Led the whole thing and lapped 8th so he was scored 7th.

|

2/4/2019 7:45 AM

You should have to finish a race to get credit. I don’t care who you are.

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

2/4/2019 7:55 AM

It took me a few minutes to figure it out also, but here is a good way to think about it, in order for any of the guys finishing behind him so 8th and back would have to go around another lap in order to finish higher than him
And they cant

|

2/4/2019 7:57 AM

Racer111 wrote:

What do you mean "finish a race"? he completed 8 laps. The same amount or more as 8th place and the rest.

|

2/4/2019 8:20 AM

Racer111 wrote:

How does he get 7th place without finishing the race? In 2004 Reed got 17th or 18th place when his bike tank’d in the mud.

In 2014 when JS7 wadded it up in the whoops while in second place and didn’t finish got a 19th. So how in the world did Ferrandis get 7th when he didn’t even finish the race?

Photo
|

2/4/2019 8:32 AM

Racer111 wrote:

peelout wrote: Photo

laughing laughing classic Peely
|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

2/4/2019 8:35 AM

Racer111 wrote:

People that get lapped....don’t...finish...the....race.

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/4/2019 8:46 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

He's French so they used the metric system to score him.

Roy"ale with cheese !!!!!!

|

2/4/2019 9:21 AM

Racer111 wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

They Finish X number of laps down.
SMH

|

2/4/2019 9:34 AM

Racer111 wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

What? They take the checkered flag, how are they not finishing the race? Could maybe say that in the past when they were 20 lap mains, that they didn't do 20 laps. Now it's timed so they completed it.

|

2/4/2019 9:39 AM

Racer111 wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

yak651 wrote:

What? They take the checkered flag, how are they not finishing the race? Could maybe say that in the past when they were 20 lap mains, that they didn't do 20 laps. Now it's timed so they completed it.

Completed with less laps. Just like the 20 lap mains. He finished the same amount of laps as 8th place and did it faster than they did. That earns any rider, no matter who they are, 7th place.

|

2/4/2019 9:40 AM

Personally I like the rule that allows Ferrandis to get 7th. He EARNED that spot. Plus, his 7th keeps him in the championship hunt. A DNF resulting in 20th or worse takes him out.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

2/4/2019 9:42 AM

It’s a shame I really like his podium interviews.

|

2/4/2019 9:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2019 10:45 AM

Racer111 wrote:

'Cause everyone else was a lap down or more on Ferrandis when he went out. They didn't "finish the race" either.

How can anyone who's ever watched racing even ask this?

|

2/4/2019 9:45 AM

Racer111 wrote:

You're confusing "running at the end" with "finishing." Races are based on DISTANCE. When the leader finishes the race, everyone else is scored based on distance covered.

|

2/4/2019 9:49 AM

If the race was in a straight line, Ferrandis went farther than 14 other guys.

|

2/4/2019 9:49 AM

Racer111 wrote:

FillmoreSouth wrote:

'Cause everyone else was a lap down or more on Ferrandis when he went out. They didn't "finish the race" either.

How can anyone who's ever watched racing even ask this?

It is Confusing
And its your natural instinct to think if you crash or your bike blows up and you dont finish the race and that you are
Going to get a dnf, with the way Ferrandis was taking it , it makes me think that he didnt know he was still getting 7th

|

2/4/2019 9:52 AM

How many laps did Ferrandis complete?
And how many others completed more laps than him?

|

2/4/2019 10:01 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

How many laps did Ferrandis complete?
And how many others completed more laps than him?

Ferrandis rode 8-3/4 laps, Jorgenson rode 8 laps, or Ferrandis rode 8 laps a minute faster than Jorgenson
Photo

|

2/4/2019 10:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2019 10:41 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

It is Confusing
And its your natural instinct to think if you crash or your bike blows up and you dont finish the race and that you are
Going to get a dnf, with the way Ferrandis was taking it , it makes me think that he didnt know he was still getting 7th

It's not confusing at all. Ferrandis was ahead of all those other guys. End of story.

There's nothing new about this, not in any form of racing I know of, with the exception of timed endurance races, such as the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In that kind of race, entries running at the end are classified first, provided they have completed a prescribed percentage of laps. This is because the leader could be so far ahead that they could blow up with an hour to go and still be declared the "winner," which would make for a strange show.

|

2/4/2019 10:21 AM

Racer111 wrote:

Reed got 7th at Daytona in 2008...

Photo

|

2/4/2019 10:21 AM

ML512 wrote:

.....the smell of rubber burning, as Vitard struggles to understand logic....

|

2/4/2019 11:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2019 11:08 AM

Ever since I took a renewed interest in motocross about 10 years ago, it has amused me how unsophisticated motocross fans are (based on anecdotal evidence, anyway). Just two examples (of maaaany) ...

• Yes, factory teams with corporate sponsors in all forms of racing carry out team strategy on occasion. Of course Musquin let Dungey by in Jersey in 2017; who didn't see that coming?

• Yes, classifications are determined by distance run. You can't sit in the pits for 15 minutes, roll out on the last lap and claim a position ahead of your rival who just dropped out a minute before.

I was at the 1991 Grand Prix of Canada in Montreal, and Nigel Mansell was so far ahead in his Williams FW14 that he famously treated the final lap as a victory parade. Then his engine shut down mid-circuit. But he was still classified sixth out of 26 starters (which was good for one championship point), because he went further than the other 20 guys. Maybe F1 fans are a bit more astute about this kinda thing, I dunno, but no one questioned the official results.

On the other hand, distance/classification is something I'd expect to befuddle NASCAR people, so who knows?

|

2/4/2019 11:42 AM

FillmoreSouth wrote:

Ever since I took a renewed interest in motocross about 10 years ago, it has amused me how unsophisticated motocross fans are (based on anecdotal evidence, anyway). Just two examples (of maaaany) ...

• Yes, factory teams with corporate sponsors in all forms of racing carry out team strategy on occasion. Of course Musquin let Dungey by in Jersey in 2017; who didn't see that coming?

• Yes, classifications are determined by distance run. You can't sit in the pits for 15 minutes, roll out on the last lap and claim a position ahead of your rival who just dropped out a minute before.

I was at the 1991 Grand Prix of Canada in Montreal, and Nigel Mansell was so far ahead in his Williams FW14 that he famously treated the final lap as a victory parade. Then his engine shut down mid-circuit. But he was still classified sixth out of 26 starters (which was good for one championship point), because he went further than the other 20 guys. Maybe F1 fans are a bit more astute about this kinda thing, I dunno, but no one questioned the official results.

On the other hand, distance/classification is something I'd expect to befuddle NASCAR people, so who knows?

You have singlehandedly elevated the average motocross intellect. You sir, are an officer and a gentleman. Much ty.

|

2/4/2019 11:48 AM

This is my FAVORITE thread of 2019!

|

2/4/2019 11:50 AM

early wrote:

If the race was in a straight line, Ferrandis went farther than 14 other guys.

this

|