Femur screw removal

Related:
Create New Tag

11/8/2014 6:39 AM

I read some old threads about people getting their femur rods and all hardware removed, but really nothing about removing just the lower screw(s), closest to the knee. I broke my right femur in February of 2000 and have not had any problems until now. One of the lower screws has backed out over the years. It never caused any pain until about two weeks ago. Now I get a stabbing pain when my thigh muscle tightens, ie like doing a squat. So, I go and see the Doc who originally did the surgery and he said since there is pain, the screw should be removed. OK, I'm good with it.

Question: Has anyone here had just the screw(s) removed, and if so, did the procedure happen in the Doc's office or was it outpatient surgery?

Thanks

|

11/8/2014 6:55 AM

broke mine in '91. had screws removed but still have rod. mine was out patient surgery ( 4 screws 2 top 2 bottom)

|

11/8/2014 7:03 AM

I had three big screws taken out of my hip, but it was replaced with a full artificial hip. Feels 1000x better than having a screw.

From what i have heard from others, it always feels better after taking metal out. That is just antecdotal though.

|

11/8/2014 7:03 AM

Broke mine in 08. Had my taken out early 09. Was outpatient. I wanted to walk out but they made my go in a wheelchair. Didn't hurt at all really just felt like I crashed in a corner for a day or 2. I wouldn't stress compared to the femur surgery it's a cakewalk.

|

11/8/2014 7:24 AM

354racing wrote:

broke mine in '91. had screws removed but still have rod. mine was out patient surgery ( 4 screws 2 top 2 bottom)

354, what was the time frame between the original rod insertion and removal of the screws? I'm looking at over 14 years and the Doc said that there could be some minor bone growth on the screw and it could cause a little more trauma. Not a big deal, just curious. Thanks

|

11/8/2014 7:45 AM

354racing wrote:

Almost the same story I have except I didn't have a rod, just screws in the knee where my femur split, and I broke mine in 1992. I was told the screws could stay there forever, but like you, my screws had started to back out a little. If I twisted just right or going up and down stairs, it was an instant knife in the knee sudden stabbing pain. What drove me to finally see a surgeon to get the screws out a few years ago was that I almost dropped my kids a few times carrying them upstairs when that pain suddenly hits.

To make a long story long, I have a bit of horror story getting my screws out (even though they DID have to come out). When the surgeon was in there taking the screws out, he STRIPPED TWO OF THE FAWKING heads!!! So I am laying there under, can't get the screws out. They had to drive to the next hospital while I was out and get a damn EZ-Out. Then they had to do the hammering on the screw that was in my knee to give the EZ-Out enough material to finally get the screw out. It was outpatient surgery, but due to the hammering, it hurt for quite a while, walking was a challenge.

|

11/8/2014 9:16 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

I had three big screws taken out of my hip, but it was replaced with a full artificial hip. Feels 1000x better than having a screw.

From what i have heard from others, it always feels better after taking metal out. That is just antecdotal though.

Hey Man,

I have an artificial hip too. Do you still have pain there? I had arthritis so bad and the pain was terrible.
things are 1,000% better painwise, but i still have pain there.

Just wondering
PS

|

11/8/2014 9:19 AM

Had the screws removed from my elbow after it healed as an out patient with local.I still have 2 pins and a wire in there an I can feel them. They irritate the shit out of me when I whack it just right so I went for an evaluation. The doc said they wouldn't remove it unless it was causing sever pain as there is always risk of complications and infection in any surgery.

If he is willing to remove it I think the positives outweigh the negatives, get a second opinion and make your decision from there.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2006 KX250

11/8/2014 11:17 AM

354racing wrote:

JeepnMike wrote:

Almost the same story I have except I didn't have a rod, just screws in the knee where my femur split, and I broke mine in 1992. I was told the screws could stay there forever, but like you, my screws had started to back out a little. If I twisted just right or going up and down stairs, it was an instant knife in the knee sudden stabbing pain. What drove me to finally see a surgeon to get the screws out a few years ago was that I almost dropped my kids a few times carrying them upstairs when that pain suddenly hits.

To make a long story long, I have a bit of horror story getting my screws out (even though they DID have to come out). When the surgeon was in there taking the screws out, he STRIPPED TWO OF THE FAWKING heads!!! So I am laying there under, can't get the screws out. They had to drive to the next hospital while I was out and get a damn EZ-Out. Then they had to do the hammering on the screw that was in my knee to give the EZ-Out enough material to finally get the screw out. It was outpatient surgery, but due to the hammering, it hurt for quite a while, walking was a challenge.

When I was a machinist I learned a technique to remove broken screws with just a center punch and a chisel. I works WAY better than an ez out.

You'll be surprised.

If you can, grind off the head off the screw.
Then use a center punch to make an indent close to the outside of the top of what's left of the screw.
Then put a corner of the chisel in the indent and tap it to rotate the screw counter clockwise.
In the majority of cases, it simply starts turning with no hassles.

After having numerous EZ-outs break, I was very surprised at how well this works.

|

11/8/2014 11:24 AM

Reading this thread cracks me up in a way after just coming off a broken ankle (I know, not femur). Definitely reminds me that the non motorcycle riding crowd thinks we are nuts but this is normal stuff us. Anybody who breaks a femur and keeps on riding is a tough mofo in my book.

|

11/8/2014 1:27 PM

One Last Comeback wrote:

Piston Slap wrote:

Hey Man,

I have an artificial hip too. Do you still have pain there? I had arthritis so bad and the pain was terrible.
things are 1,000% better painwise, but i still have pain there.

Just wondering
PS

I had mine done in May 2013. I get a little bit of pain down in the middle of the femur once in a while. More when it's cold and I am stiff.
But it's still way better then the limp and pain before I had with the screws in there.
A good chunk of my femoral ball (at the top) was wasted with bone death (avascular necrosis). I had the screws in there for 10 years before I got the full hip.

|

11/8/2014 2:23 PM

Thanks,

Yeah me too. Mine was done in April 2013. I'm wondering if that rod is the source of my pain also.

PS

|

11/8/2014 3:25 PM

broke mine in 1997, and they put a rod in it, but for some reason no screws, i had to stay in traction for a little while and off it so it would not move, but it was easy to take out, and i got it removed one year later, i have never had an issue with it,

|

11/8/2014 4:29 PM

Seeing the thread title brought back some memories haha. I think I made a thread when I got my hardware removed a few years back. Makes me laugh that at the moment I'm laying around with a broken tib/fib in one leg and a broken ankle in the other...

|

The Villopoto strategy is simple. Get a good start and haul ass. If you don’t get a good start, haul more ass.

11/8/2014 4:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2014 5:00 PM

Aww the memories
- broke my femur cleanly back in '11
No issues, so far so good (rod and 4 screws). Good to know it's a outpatient procedure if needed.

I had a cool Oak-town hip hop step the first month back to work

|

11/8/2014 5:04 PM

The hardware in my femur has all been in there for a very long time and is totally covered with bone. I need a hip replacement pretty badly and am at the end of the road with the parts I was born with.

I'm so used to living with pain that I've forgotten what it's like to exist without it after some 25 odd years. My hip wakes me up every night and it hurts just about every time I sit, stand, walk or, move. It sucks, but I see other people with worse physical problems like back and neck stuff and I don't really have it too bad. MX related injury of course.

|

11/9/2014 8:15 AM

I received all the paperwork for the surgery in the mail yesterday. It is going to be outpatient surgery, which, from the responses here, sounds right. It said the procedure will last 15 to 30 minutes. My "new" insurance has a high deductible so it's gonna cost me out of pocket about four grand. I was only out of pocket for the original two surgery's (mid shaft and femur neck, he didn't see the femur neck break at the first surgery) two grand. I'm thinking a bottle of whiskey, sharp pocket knife, a Dewalt 18V drill, one of my riding buddies and we could get that sucker out no problem, HAR!

Thanks for the responses. If you have hardware in your body, clank on.

|

11/9/2014 8:30 AM

BMR179 wrote:

I received all the paperwork for the surgery in the mail yesterday. It is going to be outpatient surgery, which, from the responses here, sounds right. It said the procedure will last 15 to 30 minutes. My "new" insurance has a high deductible so it's gonna cost me out of pocket about four grand. I was only out of pocket for the original two surgery's (mid shaft and femur neck, he didn't see the femur neck break at the first surgery) two grand. I'm thinking a bottle of whiskey, sharp pocket knife, a Dewalt 18V drill, one of my riding buddies and we could get that sucker out no problem, HAR!

Don't you love these deductible based insurance plans? The company I work for we used to have a co-pay plan, now we have a similar deductible as you do. We get told "The insurance plans offered are competitive with the industry" every time our insurance gets shittier.

Good luck with the surgery! Post back when you are walking comfortable again.

|

11/9/2014 9:05 AM

Had the lower pins removed in my left femur because one broke in half and the other backed out. Found out one was too long from the start causing me constant pain. In surgery at 8:00 and out by 8:30. Feel 100% better. Rod still in the femur.

|

Michigan District 14 Motocross / Vintage Motocross

11/9/2014 10:51 AM

BMR179 wrote:

I had a rod inserted into my tibia after a compound tib/fib break. Few months later had the screw removed in my ankle but the screw in the knee is still there. Outpatient procedure that took around 25 minutes. Weird seeing the doc unscrew the thing from your leg but there was no more pain while wearing a boot. Hope it helps!

|

11/9/2014 11:30 AM

Even though the service over sucks at least it's free.

|

'Money talk, you ain't got none, end of discussion!'

11/9/2014 11:33 AM

|

'Money talk, you ain't got none, end of discussion!'

11/9/2014 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2014 2:21 PM

The middle blue screw type was the one that held my tibial plateau fracture together.

I totally screwed my knee up one Easter in 1998 through some whoops, in practice no less. (I shoulda gone to Church like I promised I would)

I ended up in a hospital 2 hours away with the Dr. saying he would try and fix it but he had never seen one so bad.

I said no thanks, I'll go home to my ortho. My Father in law picked me up in his Firebird (PRICK) with his son to take me home, Son couldn't ride in the back cause he got car sick and Dad wouldn't let him drive, I rode in back seat with a totally broken knee in an immobilizer listening to him telll me about what my employer would think and how I would lose my job. (Didn't happen)
Grrrrh.

Long story shortened. surgery, rehab, more rehab, screws out. I'm good with the knee.

The screws are hollow for a reason, e-z outs are used more othen than you think.

PS

|

11/9/2014 5:17 PM

Just had 11 screws and 1 plate removed from my left lower leg, I alredy feel better 2 weeks after the surgery even if I have two scares of 12 inches and 5 inches in the angle area.

|

11/9/2014 6:55 PM

Broke mine in 74 yes thats right 1974 . No screws or rods except steel pin in my shin to attatch traction weights to. Six weeks later and a nice new body cast for six more weeks in bed and six more on crutches ( wooden sticks with rubber pads that slid nicely on any wet surface) then the great unveilling of a very skinny 13 year olds leg bone.!! Nothing but skin and bone!!!

|

11/19/2014 7:36 AM

Dr. removed the screw yesterday. It already fells better! Surgery was about 20 minutes, no problems. Have some swelling this morning, but no pain...if it starts hurting, he gave me scrip of codeine. He said I can put full weight on it. Good deal, no crutches!

Anyone out there that has a loose screw in their femur, not in their head (quite a few on vital LOL), I recommend having it removed. Thanks for all the stories and responses.

|

11/19/2014 10:55 AM

BMR179 wrote:

Dr. removed the screw yesterday. It already fells better! Surgery was about 20 minutes, no problems. Have some swelling this morning, but no pain...if it starts hurting, he gave me scrip of codeine. He said I can put full weight on it. Good deal, no crutches!

Anyone out there that has a loose screw in their femur, not in their head (quite a few on vital LOL), I recommend having it removed. Thanks for all the stories and responses.

This sounds ridiculous, but thanks for posting this. I've had a rod and 2 screws in my rt femur since 1998. 3 years ago I started having pain in my right knee where the VMO attaches. Knife to the knee shooting pain when I walked down stairs, did squats, and going from sitting to standing while riding. It's to the point where I can't work out some days.
I went to a sports ortho that said it was the lower screw. I thought he was nuts. Looks like I'll be calling the office to make another appt.

Did they gas you out or just numb with a local? There is a high probability that I'll pass out from feeling them going in there.

|

11/19/2014 11:14 AM

mxdonkey wrote:

The hardware in my femur has all been in there for a very long time and is totally covered with bone. I need a hip replacement pretty badly and am at the end of the road with the parts I was born with.

I'm so used to living with pain that I've forgotten what it's like to exist without it after some 25 odd years. My hip wakes me up every night and it hurts just about every time I sit, stand, walk or, move. It sucks, but I see other people with worse physical problems like back and neck stuff and I don't really have it too bad. MX related injury of course.

Dude, get the hip done. You won't believe the difference, and the moment you wake up from surgery you will be in less pain. I was up on crutches the same day and my whole life improved.
There is really no reason to live with that type of pain. I did it for years and now I feel like I have a fresh start.

|

11/19/2014 12:12 PM

17 screws and 2 plates in my left upper Tibia. I had them removed a year later. Doctor sad by me being so young I'd have problems with them years down the road. In and out surgery.

No big deal. And i felt much better after they were out....

|

Recovering JS7, PED, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, Alessi, thread poster....

11/19/2014 12:24 PM

mxdonkey wrote:

One Last Comeback wrote:

Dude, get the hip done. You won't believe the difference, and the moment you wake up from surgery you will be in less pain. I was up on crutches the same day and my whole life improved.
There is really no reason to live with that type of pain. I did it for years and now I feel like I have a fresh start.

Thanks for the pep talk. I know I need to get'er done. I'm more worried about the number of revisions I can have vs the years I'll still be alive. I have some friends that are at the end of their rope on femur material left over after having so many hip surgery ball revisions due to wear and breaks... You're lucky if you get three replacements out of one femur.

|