Fellow scroungers

just James
Edited Date/Time 10/27/2013 9:21am
Am I the only one who can spot a dropped wrench on the road from 300 yards?
I frequently scare the crap out of the wife by slamming on the brakes to retrieve something that I spotted on the road. Over the years I have found many wrenches (some of them were even still in useable condition), tie downs, fasteners etc. Once put my life in serious jeopardy fetching an aluminum loading ramp on a blind corner on the freeway. These items are like trophies to me.
I think it's a gift that I have this ability. The wife says it's more like a mental disorder.
Any fellow travelers out there who would care to 'fess up, or am I some sort of champion at this? Laughing
|
mynewcr250
10/26/2013 8:55pm
mental disorder sounds about right. i drop shit from my truck so you weirdos can have some fun once in a while.
MR. X
10/26/2013 8:59pm
I don't even like being in the car around these asshole on the freeway let alone parking and getting out of the car. I saw a nice 8 foot aluminum ladder once but figured no way in hell i needed to get 8 feet in the air that bad.
41NDT
10/26/2013 10:14pm
That's not how you found your wife was it ;-)
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/26/2013 10:36pm
Riding MX, you're constantly calculating the risk/reward value. But stopping on the freeway? I think that may fall on the wrong end of the scale. Smile

The Shop

mynewcr250
10/26/2013 11:27pm
GuyB wrote:
Riding MX, you're constantly calculating the risk/reward value. But stopping on the freeway? I think that may fall on the wrong end of the scale. Smile
not just for him, but the guy that swerves out of the way and potentially ends up killing more than just the guy trying to score a free $5 tool.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
10/26/2013 11:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2013 11:36pm
just James wrote:
Am I the only one who can spot a dropped wrench on the road from 300 yards? I frequently scare the crap out of the wife...
I frequently scare the crap out of the wife by slamming on the brakes to retrieve something that I spotted on the road. Over the years I have found many wrenches (some of them were even still in useable condition), tie downs, fasteners etc. Once put my life in serious jeopardy fetching an aluminum loading ramp on a blind corner on the freeway. These items are like trophies to me.
I think it's a gift that I have this ability. The wife says it's more like a mental disorder.
Any fellow travelers out there who would care to 'fess up, or am I some sort of champion at this? Laughing
That is so funny........Several years ago when they were building some new roads on the way to work I saw a big wrench laying in the road so I turned and jumped out and picked it up and then I saw another and another in a line for about 25 yards so I picked them all up and by the time I got to the last few tools in the road there was a big round leather bag in the ditch. I put everything in the bag and realized it was a tool bag that had fallen off the back of some sort of work truck.EvilEvil No way to find the owners but there were 25-30 nice big wrench's, hammers, pry bars etc. I still smile when I think about that find.

I have also been thrown out of the city dump for scavenging, I can go to the dump and bring home more stuff than I took to drop off.
Bigfoot
10/27/2013 8:23am
Several of my tools were ground scores, though none from driving. Most were found while road bicycling. I've scored needle nose pliers, assorted sockets, socket handles, hemostats (?) ,a ball peen hammer, various sizes of Vice Grips and combinatin wrenches and even some bicycle related tools (likely from unzipped seat packs).

My one MX ground score is a real 14-inch Crescent brand adjustable that I found halfway up Saddleback's Matterhorn in 1978. I still have that one and have often wondered how the heck it got up there. I slipped it in my boot that day and rode back to my trusty Toyota to stash it in my toolbox, where it's remained for 35 years!
robkinuk
10/27/2013 8:43am Edited Date/Time 10/27/2013 8:45am
I spend all day following the Snap On truck around, but he never loses anything?
Sandberm
10/27/2013 9:03am
just James wrote:
Am I the only one who can spot a dropped wrench on the road from 300 yards? I frequently scare the crap out of the wife...
Brother.

When the sun hits a nice crome 3/4 socket just right you can see the glint of treasure from a half mile away.Woohoo

Bungey cords by the bucket full too.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/27/2013 9:21am
Found a Honda generator that had fallen off someone's truck on the hwy...

When you have a gas can fall out of you're truck you have about 30 seconds to get turned around or it's gone...last time that happened to me some guy was already pulled over within seconds- picking it up!

Post a reply to: Fellow scroungers

The Latest