Feld Entertainment Responds to Track Conditions Following Last Week’s Supercross Event in San Diego

motograss
2/6/2019 9:39pm
Premix wrote:
Think you’ve got me mistaken for someone else big dog.
As you do I.
Premix
2/6/2019 9:44pm
motograss wrote:
As you do I.
Haven’t the faintest idea what you’re rambling on about. But Vital does need a Mascot, and that is: The MotoAss

motograss
2/6/2019 9:44pm
Mr Premix, just a kindly suggestion, try to tighten up your meta data.
2/6/2019 10:09pm
JB 19 wrote:
Exactly. Feld has billions of dollars. (billion with a b) They could have just said, "if you don't like it, hit the road." I'm sure they...
Exactly. Feld has billions of dollars. (billion with a b) They could have just said, "if you don't like it, hit the road." I'm sure they have top paid attorney's. (plural) So a few privateers who can barely make it race to race are going to go toe to toe with a billion dollar operation in court? Feld would drag it out in court for years. take your 5G's and go shopping at the mall....because that's where most of the money will be spent anyway.

Lawyer up? Woohoo
motograss wrote:
So you walk into the grocery store to service a refrigerator because thatxs what you do for s living. A steel beam falls on your head...
So you walk into the grocery store to service a refrigerator because thatxs what you do for s living. A steel beam falls on your head because a contractor thought glue would hold it up. There is damage to your head, your tools are smashed and possibly in the long run, you will be more mentally challenged than you already are. You missed work and paid for your own medical care.
You just say fuck it, "man up" because you already knew you might get electrocuted anyway, and deal with it? Bullshit. Some slow people on here.
UpTiTe wrote:
Apples to oranges. None of these guys will suffer long term effects, let alone brain trauma. They had a chemical reaction, sucks yes, but life altering...
Apples to oranges. None of these guys will suffer long term effects, let alone brain trauma. They had a chemical reaction, sucks yes, but life altering? No.
Did anyone think to check into effects of breathing burnt lime? From what I understand, it's the worse one of the effects. Anyone notice all the steam coming off of hot exhaust? That steam is bad news to breath in, long-term effects

The Shop

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
2/6/2019 10:13pm
This thread reminds me of why Devo was found by so many as a catchy name for a band.
oldblood
2/6/2019 10:37pm
Did anyone think to check into effects of breathing burnt lime? From what I understand, it's the worse one of the effects. Anyone notice all the...
Did anyone think to check into effects of breathing burnt lime? From what I understand, it's the worse one of the effects. Anyone notice all the steam coming off of hot exhaust? That steam is bad news to breath in, long-term effects
Please stop.
moto348
2/6/2019 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 11:18pm
Did anyone think to check into effects of breathing burnt lime? From what I understand, it's the worse one of the effects. Anyone notice all the...
oldblood wrote:
Please stop.
Mind boggling that you have this mindset towards something as serious as this. Especially considering if he's who I think he is, he's related to someone that raced in SD.

Has anyone else seen the clip of pouring water on quicklime and its reaction?
PRM31
2/7/2019 3:40am
ruy wrote:
[embed][/embed]
Ouch.

Feld, and the sport, needs a positive story to change the trajectory of where this is headed.
tingo
2/7/2019 5:42am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2019 5:52am
TeamGreen wrote:
A couple years ago...I watched as an amazing F1 driver parked his race-car under a tractor... During an F1 race. He lost his life. The tractor...
A couple years ago...I watched as an amazing F1 driver parked his race-car under a tractor...

During an F1 race.

He lost his life.

The tractor was too close to and accidentally in the “possible” path of a car if things went terribly wrong &... they did...things went very, very wrong that day.

So...let’s keep the drama-queen shit in perspective as whe cry “injury lawsuit” and all this other Kim & Kanye drama that I see some of y’all posting.
RexEasely wrote:
It's easy to be insensitive when your skin in not burning.
TeamGreen wrote:
Insensitive? Uh, no. The typical teenage drama queen crap of throwing "lawsuit" and other foolish language from the minions is what I'm speaking to. Hell, while...
Insensitive?
Uh, no.

The typical teenage drama queen crap of throwing "lawsuit" and other foolish language from the minions is what I'm speaking to.

Hell, while I am glad that Feld offered $5K, I don't know it's enough for the privateers and I'm guessing there's a few factory team managers that're still "less than happy", too. Then there's the kids on the 50s which is truly "not good".

Here's the thing, some of y'all come in here and talk as it was deliberate or as if there's a single one of those track workers or Feld peeps that would ever want to cause harm or discomfort for these guys..these kids...these riders.

All the while, it did happen. There is a "responsible party". They've stepped up...and will probably have to step up a bit further. So...

Let's lose the torches and pitch-forks and let them resolve this.

Totally with you on dropping the torches and pitchforks and calls for lawsuits. As I've already posted, it's a shitty attitude that runs rampant these days - clearly evidenced on this forum.

To be fair on the Jules accident, it's not like the tractor was parked on the side of the track during the whole race. It was out temporarily to get Sutil's car, and yellow flags were being waved. Jules was on the gas when he lost control. It's certainly not the only factor that resulted in his death, but it is significant. Either way, a terrible outcome, and at least changes were made to hopefully avoid a similar situation.
OldYZRider1
2/7/2019 5:59am
TbonesPop wrote:
Kinda depends on the severity of the safety issue. If death occurs, the fines can be pretty severe. If it's a surprise audit and they fine...
Kinda depends on the severity of the safety issue. If death occurs, the fines can be pretty severe. If it's a surprise audit and they fine some basic minor violations, the fines aren't too bad. Also, the fines can get negotiated with OSHA so what may start out 7 figures might not end up 7 figures. Regardless, it all sucks. Just hope it doesn't happen. Would much rather see Feld step up and resolve what they can and everything goes on the rest of the season without issue.
Willful violations can carry hefty penalties. If the employer knew there was a dangerous or hazardous environment and sent employees into that environment, well that's a big no-no. According to what I read in one of the threads on here, lime burns at a SX event has occurred before, so the possibility of it occurring again would have been known. OSHA could possibly determine this to be a willful violation. OSHA penalties can be reduced by 40% in many cases if the employer agrees to taking remedial actions such as changing procedures or additional training regimes.

But I still think it'd be best to leave OSHA out of it. I could see the city of SD evicting Supercross from their dome if this creates a shitstorm for them.

Do they use lime to increase soil compaction during the Monster Jam events? I imagine some of those events have had rain on them.
Kenny Lingus
2/7/2019 6:08am
TbonesPop wrote:
I work in the industrial chemical industry as a chemical engineer (And one of 3 owners of our company). I've had more caustic chemical burns than...
I work in the industrial chemical industry as a chemical engineer (And one of 3 owners of our company). I've had more caustic chemical burns than I can count. While it is painful and most certainly has a high suck factor, it is something that heals up fairly quickly. The suck factor is high, but it could be FAR worse. The greater impact would have been to burning eyes which can cause irreparable vision damage as well as inhalation damage to the lungs. With that said, it really doesn't make much sense to have some class action lawsuit by the riders to try and get more money. Nobody wins in that scenario because Feld would likely effectively shut the whole production down if there were a slew of rider lawsuits. They should get what they can and move forward. Feld needs to take major steps to improve rider safety for future races, specifically regarding the use of any hazardous chemicals. Feld needs to work this out with the riders and the riders need to work this out with Feld, so the sport can move on.

The greater risk in all of this is with OSHA. There is still a very real potential that they get involved in this mess and when they do, its going to be a total shitshow. I've been part of multiple OSHA audits (common in our industry) and they are a bitch to deal with. In a situation like this where many people were injured, OSHA will be handing out a lot of fines, easily a 7 figure number. Feld, Dirt works, etc all need to be preparing for the hammer to come. That's where the legit drama is going to come from. It doesn't matter to OSHA if the riders were independent contractors. If this comes through, it will be a mess. I'm hoping that there is some way that it doesn't happen, however I'll be surprised if that's the case. This was a very serious work place related safety incident and it should be dealt with as such.
I appreciate someone bringing facts, real world knowledge and a little science to this. Maybe send a resume to Feld? ?

Post a reply to: Feld Entertainment Responds to Track Conditions Following Last Week’s Supercross Event in San Diego

The Latest