Feld Entertainment Responds to Track Conditions Following Last Week’s Supercross Event in San Diego

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2019 3:41am
Ellenton, Fla. – February 5, 2019 – On Saturday, February 2nd at Petco Park in San Diego, Ca., Supercross riders were affected by a drying agent applied to the dirt track, which may have caused skin irritation and damage to their bikes. The wellbeing of our riders, their teams and our crew is always a top priority for us at all Supercross events. Given last week’s forecast of rain for Saturday’s event in San Diego, the track crew took normal precautions to ensure a safe and raceable track. Prior to the qualifying rounds and main events, they removed the protective tarp and applied a drying agent, a lime and sand mixture, to treat two areas on the track to try and remove moisture from the dirt. This process has been used safely for decades at Supercross to dry dirt and thereby reduce the risk of accidents for the riders. It appears that the unprecedented amount of rain on Saturday prevented the lime from mixing with the soil as usual. This resulted in splashing of the riders and their bikes, which may have caused skin irritation to some riders and damage to their bikes. We are currently reaching out to each rider who participated in Saturday’s race to assess the extent of the impact, ensure their welfare and get them back on their bikes racing. We are also reviewing our existing processes to deal with excessive water on the track to prevent a recurrence.
|
cameron96
2/5/2019 3:06pm
Better than nothing! Props to HEP and MotoConcepts for using their practise bikes instead of their race bikes. Smart move
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/5/2019 3:09pm
So instead of looking into lime alternatives they're gonna look into reducing standing water at mud races?
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1417th
2/5/2019 3:10pm
cameron96 wrote:
Better than nothing! Props to HEP and MotoConcepts for using their practise bikes instead of their race bikes. Smart move
They can only tech one bike, right? Which is done hours before racetime? So these two teams took the bet that it would pour and saved their equipment? While the top factory teams would most likely not want to take the chance of having to race sub standard bikes if it didnt pour....and the poor privateers only had one bike anyway? right? Smile

The Shop

jbrown15
2/5/2019 3:11pm
So how do they explain track crews pouring bags of like right into the puddles of standing water? SMH

No shit that wouldn’t have a chance to mix into the dirt....lol
BR8ES
2/5/2019 3:14pm
almost like Mum making lil Billy apologise for a transgression with the neighbour kid...say it...say it.
2/5/2019 3:14pm
There. Everyone change their tampons and move on. It's not like Feld or Dirt Works was hosing anyone down with acid. Shit happens, they addressed it, and are reaching out to everyone affected. Which don't include any of the vagina's that have been on here with their law books and Jr. Chemistry kits for 3 days.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/5/2019 3:18pm
cameron96 wrote:
NITRODOG wrote:
They can only tech one bike, right? Which is done hours before racetime? So these two teams took the bet that it would pour and saved...
They can only tech one bike, right? Which is done hours before racetime? So these two teams took the bet that it would pour and saved their equipment? While the top factory teams would most likely not want to take the chance of having to race sub standard bikes if it didnt pour....and the poor privateers only had one bike anyway? right? Smile
Chances are, those teams practice and race bikes are a lot closer to each than than the factory teams race bikes vs their practice bikes.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
2/5/2019 3:18pm
colintrax wrote:
So instead of looking into lime alternatives they're gonna look into reducing standing water at mud races?
Exactly. That was a very carefully worded, lawyered-up release if I ever saw one. Lime should never be used in this industry ever again after this debacle. I don't care if has been used for decades, that doesn't make it the right solution.
There are several other safer products out there that will work in lieu of of lime. I've listened to multiple pod costs now in which riders were interviewed and this isn't the first that they have had irritation from lime in the soil. So let's be perfectly clear, This is the first time of being burned this badly on a grand scale. Irritation is inaccurate, burning is accurate. I hope they make things right for each rider impacted by this. This was a massive screw up.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/5/2019 3:19pm
This should go over well with the racers, particularly the privateers.
jstein639
2/5/2019 3:23pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This should go over well with the racers, particularly the privateers.
I hope they actually pay them and don’t lowball appraise all the damaged parts, gear, etc.
ti473
2/5/2019 3:25pm
colintrax wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:
Exactly. That was a very carefully worded, lawyered-up release if I ever saw one. Lime should never be used in this industry ever again after this...
Exactly. That was a very carefully worded, lawyered-up release if I ever saw one. Lime should never be used in this industry ever again after this debacle. I don't care if has been used for decades, that doesn't make it the right solution.
There are several other safer products out there that will work in lieu of of lime. I've listened to multiple pod costs now in which riders were interviewed and this isn't the first that they have had irritation from lime in the soil. So let's be perfectly clear, This is the first time of being burned this badly on a grand scale. Irritation is inaccurate, burning is accurate. I hope they make things right for each rider impacted by this. This was a massive screw up.
That's what I was thinking.... Wording was chosen carefully.
"May have caused" (not admitting guilt)
"The track crew" (pointing finger at dirt wurx)
"Unprecedented amount of rain" (it was an act of God!!)

They are apologizing without incriminating themselves
GPrider
2/5/2019 3:26pm
so they addressed it, said they will reach out to all who raced and reviewing processes. So give them a chance to do so. Isn't that what everyone wanted? So let it go for now and see how they handle it.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/5/2019 3:27pm
cameron96 wrote:
NITRODOG wrote:
They can only tech one bike, right? Which is done hours before racetime? So these two teams took the bet that it would pour and saved...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Chances are, those teams practice and race bikes are a lot closer to each than than the factory teams race bikes vs their practice bikes.
The factory teams have basically identical practice and race bikes.
2/5/2019 3:28pm
They are clearly trying to do the right thing. Those that were unaffected by the situation need to get over it.
2/5/2019 3:31pm
Looks like they are being proactive about the situation: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/05/323513/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_02_05_at_3.21.51_PM.jpg[/img]
Looks like they are being proactive about the situation:

Don't try to tell Vitard that a company that does over a billion dollars in annual revenue is actually going to take care of shit. Ain't got time for facts.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/5/2019 3:32pm
NITRODOG wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
The factory teams have basically identical practice and race bikes.
I thought I remembered Mitch saying their practice bikes were like 85% of the race bike.

I honestly don't think it really matters to the factory whether it's a practice bike or race bike. It all costs the same to them. The smaller teams and privateers on the other hand can't afford to go through bikes like that.
gt80rider
2/5/2019 3:33pm
"The wellbeing of our riders" ......... Our riders???
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/5/2019 3:33pm
Looks like they are being proactive about the situation: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/05/323513/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_02_05_at_3.21.51_PM.jpg[/img]

Don't try to tell Vitard that a company that does over a billion dollars in annual revenue is actually going to take care of shit. Ain't...
Don't try to tell Vitard that a company that does over a billion dollars in annual revenue is actually going to take care of shit. Ain't got time for facts.
I have to wonder though, if the kids weren't involved, how different would things be? Would they just look into it and sweep it under the rug?
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/5/2019 3:35pm
If they fire Ralph and Ricky on air can everyone just call it even?
RangerLee
2/5/2019 3:36pm
ti473 wrote:
That's what I was thinking.... Wording was chosen carefully. "May have caused" (not admitting guilt) "The track crew" (pointing finger at dirt wurx) "Unprecedented amount of...

Using any other terms in their statement would point to a big direct apology which points to admitting fault. This was lawyer-ed pretty damn well.

They have used lime for over a decade, so that part is true, never has this happened though, so that is the big thing they need to ensure never happens again. Man I feel for all the riders that are effected, I really hope this does not screw their season completely.
2/5/2019 3:43pm
ti473 wrote:
That's what I was thinking.... Wording was chosen carefully. "May have caused" (not admitting guilt) "The track crew" (pointing finger at dirt wurx) "Unprecedented amount of...

correct, exactly as their lawyer(s) intended, I'm sure
2/5/2019 3:44pm

Don't try to tell Vitard that a company that does over a billion dollars in annual revenue is actually going to take care of shit. Ain't...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I have to wonder though, if the kids weren't involved, how different would things be? Would they just look into it and sweep it under the...
I have to wonder though, if the kids weren't involved, how different would things be? Would they just look into it and sweep it under the rug?
I mean, that's a fair question. Not in reference to the kids, but just the situation in general. If nobody comes to them with an issue, how would they resolve it? Contrary to what 90% of Vital believes, a company with the value and prestige of Feld is not going to risk their reputation on sweeping safety issues under the rug. Especially when the entity of concern is innately as dangerous as supercross. It's just not going to happen.
TeamGreen
2/5/2019 3:45pm
There. Everyone change their tampons and move on. It's not like Feld or Dirt Works was hosing anyone down with acid. Shit happens, they addressed it...
There. Everyone change their tampons and move on. It's not like Feld or Dirt Works was hosing anyone down with acid. Shit happens, they addressed it, and are reaching out to everyone affected. Which don't include any of the vagina's that have been on here with their law books and Jr. Chemistry kits for 3 days.
You forgot to add...

"Good Stuff. For the entire Channel Four News Team, I'm Ron Burgundy"
2/5/2019 3:48pm

That is reactive. Proactive would have been to use a non toxic substance. Proactive - we'll use this product X instead of lime so as it doesn't affect the riders or bikes. Reactive - oh shit, people and bikes are fucked. Call our lawyers, then start to think about how we recover from this and do what we need to.
And how long did it take for the reach arounds to start? Still, I'm glad they are looking after the people that look that have wronged, but I think this still isn't over by a long shot. Peeps have a chance to make more money off this than they ever will racing.
Bigfoot
2/5/2019 3:50pm
colintrax wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:
Exactly. That was a very carefully worded, lawyered-up release if I ever saw one. Lime should never be used in this industry ever again after this...
ti473 wrote:

"Mistakes were made...."
jeffro503
2/5/2019 3:58pm
I didn't read everything in this thread , but from what I gather with their press release , at least it's a start. If they do in fact reach out to every rider and team , and they come to an agreement.....then that's the best we can ask for. Maybe every rider and team ends up having a different agreement on what's owed. And I hope feld pulls through , because if they don't.......social media can be a real bitch. Make it right Feld!
Mr. Sandman
2/5/2019 4:01pm
Skin and related chemical burns will heal. How far do you think they'll go on making things right with the bikes? Factory teams will replace anything that's suspect without batting an eye. What about the privateers? What if 3 months from now a privateer's lime corroded hub or wheel fails on a bike causing serious injury or kills someone?

Post a reply to: Feld Entertainment Responds to Track Conditions Following Last Week’s Supercross Event in San Diego

The Latest